PDA

View Full Version : Rovers put record on the line

A face
11/05/2003, 1:28 AM
Rovers put record on the line

Shamrock Rovers, unbeaten in both Premier Division and League Cup, will be hoping to maintain their encouraging start to the season when they take on Longford Town in Saturday's eircom League clash with Longford Town at Flancare Park (Kick off 7:30). In the First Division, there is nearly a full programme with Dublin City's clash with Kildare County the pick of the games.

Winger Shane Robinson, who missed last Sunday's 2-1 victory over previously unbeaten Cork City at richmond Park because of a knee injury, comes back into the reckoning. But otherwise manager Liam Buckley is likely to stick to the same squad.

"It was encouraging that none of the team that started against Bray Wanderers in our League Cup 3-0 victory at the Carlisle Grounds on Wednesday had started against Cork, That shows the value of strength in depth when clubs could face as many as 45 games in a 30 week season," said Buckley.

"Longford will be no pushover when you look at players of the quality of Eric Lavine, Sean Francis, Alan Kirby, Brian Byrne, Barry Ferguson and Avery John. There is plenty of experience in that squad," added the Hoops boss.

Despite the disappointment of their 2-2 draw with Drogheda United at O2 Park last week. Longford manager Alan Matthews is likely to stick to the same squad although former Norwich City and Arsenal central defender Brian McGovern, signed from St Patrick's Athletic in the close season, could come into the reckoning.

"Against Drogheda, we conceded a silly goal in the second minute of added time when Mark Quinless scored the equaliser. I won't blame Stephen O'Brien as he is still an excellent 'keeper", said Matthews.

"Another couple of wins and we would be right up the table, but that's the way it is in a ten team league and there is still a very long way to go," added Matthews.

In the First Division, League leaders Dublin City take on Kildare County at Whitehall in what will be a case of teacher versus student in the dugouts (Kick off 7:30).

Dublin City manager John Gill was Kildare County manager Dermot Keely's assistant last season and, so far this season, the student is showing up his old boss as Dublin currently lead the table, though Gill is refusing to let his team get carried away.

"I'm surprised where we are," he said. "Every week my players surprise me. Kildare County are better than us but we have showed what we can do and I hope we can continue to do it again tomorrow.

Neither manager has any injuries ahead of the game and are expected to name the same line-ups as they did for their last League games.

If Dublin City slip up, Bray Wanderers could take advantage should they earn a victory away to Athlone in St Mel's Park (Kick off 7:45).

With Athlone certain to be without Stephen Gavin (groin), Stuart Holt (knee) and Shane Jackson (hamstring) and with big doubts over the availability of Stephen Kelly( knee) and Eric Molloy (ankle), the odds are heavily stacked in Bray's favour though assistant manager Tony McGuirk is refusing to take anything for granted.

"I saw Athlone against Kildare and they are very good young side who work hard for each other. It won't be easy but it would be nice to go top. But we're not concerned about who's top at this stage, it's all about staying in contention and seeing what happened," he said.

McGuirk revealed that Graham O'Hanlon (back) and Colm Tresson (hamstring) are both expected to be fit to take their places in the Wanderers' line-up.

At Century Homes Park, Monaghan United take on Limerick with three of their regular starting XI expected to be out (Kick off 7:00).

Goalkeeper Danny O'Leary is suspended after receiving his second sending off of the season against Sligo Rovers last week while Derek McDonnell and Anthony Shevlin are both doubts with knee injuries.

For Limerick, Brendan Sweeney (hamstring) and John Whyte (back) are definitely ruled out.

Dundalk - still looking for their first win of the season - take on Cobh Ramblers at Oriel Park with manager Trevor Anderson insisting that it's only a matter of time before his team's good performances start to yield the points they deserve (Kick off 7:45).

The five games so far have yielded just three points, but Anderson believes that, with better luck, they would be doing far better. "We're not panicking," he said. "We've played well in most of the games and we should have won four of our five games to date."

Anderson has a fully fit panel to choose from while Cobh manager Dave Hill faces a fitness test along with Willie Bruton before Saturday's game.

And finally, Kilkenny City take on Sligo Rovers at Buckley Park hoping to build on last week's performance which saw them pick up their first point of the season against Cobh Ramblers (Kick off 7:30).

"I'm delighted we got the point, we've worked very hard and have competed well in all our game with only Kildare hammering us," manager Tommy Lynch said.

Anthony Tobin who missed last week's game through suspension is a doubt with a knee injury while Sligo boss Don O'Riordan has a full strength squad to choose from having left out Steve Feeney David O'Dowd, Harry Murphy and Gerry Carr in mid-week.

www.fai.ie (http://www.fai.ie/NR/exeres/AFFEC654-230C-492D-9EF7-6CBE3DBCB80C.htm)