PDA

View Full Version : The Kilcoynes - failed dreamers or villains?

Pages : 1 [2] 3

DvB
31/10/2007, 11:49 AM
The only villians are the shower of b@stards that were out protesting against moving from Milltown and didnt bother their asses to get out to the games and support them!!

Talk about not having a clue!! :mad:

khoop
31/10/2007, 3:52 PM
The only villians are the shower of b@stards that were out protesting against moving from Milltown and didnt bother their asses to get out to the games and support them!!

Are you taking the p!ss or are you just a really thick gobsh!te???
:confused:

geysir
31/10/2007, 4:52 PM
Couldn't disagree more.

It WAS within the programme's sphere to tell the story of what happened - i.e. Rovers being made homeless by a property deal. Instead, they chose to focus on only part of the story - Rovers being made homeless due to dwindling crowds and sellers who claim they had 'no choice'.

Had they done their job properly they would've pointed out the full story - not focusing on the bit their favourite interviewees (Dunphy et al) wanted to highlight.
Am I the only one who heard the interview with the KRAM member and saw the archive material of the protests and meetings.
Kilcoyne was allowed to speak his story. So what, the same liberty was given to the Kram member. You make your own mind up. I certainly could.

It's not all the truth as you know it. What I get out of it is, how could it happen in the first place and what could have been done different? While Rovers were riding high in better times in earlier years, Sligo's members secured the Showgrounds in the midst of a crisis, despite struggling with severe financial issues over decades, their ground could not be sold by the club's board nor could it be mortgaged.

If all you're interested in is the scandal story of how Kilcoyne sold Milltown, you're missing the point.

khoop
31/10/2007, 5:02 PM
While Rovers were riding high in better times in earlier years, Sligo's members secured the Showgrounds in the midst of a crisis, despite struggling with severe financial issues over decades, their ground could not be sold by the club's board nor could it be mortgaged.

And that has got WHAT exactly to do with Rovers??? Go on - the details please - and not just meaningless waffle.

OneRedArmy
31/10/2007, 5:06 PM
It's not all the truth as you know it. What I get out of it is, how could it happen in the first place and what could have been done different? While Rovers were riding high in better times in earlier years, Sligo's members secured the Showgrounds in the midst of a crisis, despite struggling with severe financial issues over decades, their ground could not be sold by the club's board nor could it be mortgaged.

If all you're interested in is the scandal story of how Kilcoyne sold Milltown, you're missing the point.Large dollop of hindsight bias here.

If you accept that the Kilcoynes were out to make money, rather than the good of Shamrock Rovers (as most LoI fans would), then your point becomes immaterial.

Kilcoyne didn't HAVE to sell the ground, he choose to.

bennocelt
01/11/2007, 6:37 AM
its easy to spot the laissez-faire fans here

Jeez, unless you havent a clue, but watching the show no matter how stupid you are...............if the end result meant selling the ground then surely thats not good for football (no matter what crowds they were getting)

To sell Shamrock rovers ground to property developers and leave the club high and dry was a sin, and then the FAI made him president................jeez its a great country we live in

by the way what happened to the money (profit?) made from the sale?

gspain
01/11/2007, 8:04 AM
A few posts have mentioned that the Kilcoynes tricked the Jesuits.... that not true. At the time the Kilcoynes had to deal with a firm of accountants who were acting on behalf of the Jesuits.All they were interested in was getting as much as they could for the lease and had no interest in insisting on inserting a clause which would of meant the land could only be used as a soocer stadium. It has always annoyed me as to how the Jesuits put themselves accross as being 'innocent' in the ways of the world... they weren't, they took the money and weren't interested in what happened to the ground... the ironic thing is that the Jesuits if they'd realy been smart could of got a lot more from the Kilcoynes.

In relation to KRAM i've always wondered how much money did they raise...and more importantly what happened to it.

I don't recall any public statements from the Jesuits.

They took £50,000 for the lease based on the fact that there would have been uproar if they had sold the ground. They were certainly naive in selling to the Kilcoynes.

The programme was not balanced. It faield to mention the purchase of the ground from the Jesuits. It focussed on the KRAM guy saying he did his best with the protests and then Dunphy and Kilcoyne justifying the sale.

Only 2 clubs voted against LK for FAI president btw - Pats who backed their own candidate and Limerick.

Calcio Jack
01/11/2007, 8:17 AM
I don't recall any public statements from the Jesuits.

They took £50,000 for the lease based on the fact that there would have been uproar if they had sold the ground. They were certainly naive in selling to the Kilcoynes.

The programme was not balanced. It faield to mention the purchase of the ground from the Jesuits. It focussed on the KRAM guy saying he did his best with the protests and then Dunphy and Kilcoyne justifying the sale.

Only 2 clubs voted against LK for FAI president btw - Pats who backed their own candidate and Limerick.

The Jesuits did in effect sell the ground ie they sold the lease to the Kilcoynes, and to say they were worried about there been uproar if " they sold the ground" is rubbish.

If they felt that way then when they were drawing up the terms of the sale of the lease to Kilcoyne they would of inserted a clause insisting that the land could only be used as a stadium for SRFC, that would of protected Rovers. However they had full knowledge of the fact that the terms of the lease sale granted the Kilcoynes the power to do what they wanted with the land (subject to PP) and they agreed to it...otherwise the Kilcoynes wouldn't of purchased the lease.... now the Jesuits of course did say afterwards that they asumed the Kilcoynes would continue to use the land as a stadium for Rovers and that is what they had expected to happen.... I don't buy that version, so IMO the Jesuits had no qualms about the participating in the demise of Rovers and their feigned shock at what the Kilcoynes did has always sickened me.

Still like to know where did all the money collected by KRAM go ??

Stuttgart88
01/11/2007, 8:49 AM
Your heart clearly was never in it and you simply did it either because it was fashionable or it killed a bit of time.To me thats not being a fan it is simply being an interested on looker.

Hence my remark about "fan police". It most certainly was not fashionable for me to go to Rovers on a Sunday, or any other eL team. I was a devout Rovers fan for about 10 years, albeit a home fan or Dublin-match fan mainly. I had no money as a teenager or student and away trips were simply unaffordable. Even the few quid it cost to go to Milltown was a stretch.

Not going to Tolka was a point of principle.

My then supporting UCD was an unusual case. As I said, I studied there and was involved there. It's only natural that I'd be interested in them. I used to go to their Budweiser cup games mid-week too, but I suppose that's not that noteworthy as I was on campus anyway and it sure as hell beat pure economics.

There were one or two seasons where it was ideal for me. UCD were chasing promotion and Rovers were chasing the league. They played at home on consecutive Sundays so I watched a game every weekend of the season. others did too - I noted that guy Dr. Bill Tormey (?) at both grounds many weeks of the season. I'm not in the remotest bit embarrassed to admit that once Rovers left Milltown a part of Rovers died for me, but I think that's perfectly justifiable especially in the context of my UCD links. I used to see some Rovers regulars at Shels games during the Boycott years.

Don't you think it'd be far worse if I just dropped supporting the game altogether? Even during the boycott years I'd be at 30+ eL games a season.

In any event I stopped attending eL games religiously during the 90s as I actually played junior football regularly, sometimes twice on a Saturday and again on Sunday mornings., not to mention casual football and training. I think you can overdo it a bit on the football front. Or maybe my "heart just wasn't in it" as you say.

btid1
01/11/2007, 9:11 AM
Not going to Tolka was a point of principle.

But surely with the Kilcoynes not involved there was no longer a principle and the only thing that would have mattered was the survival of Shamrock Rovers FC??

Don't you think it'd be far worse if I just dropped supporting the game altogether? Even during the boycott years I'd be at 30+ eL games a season.
I never questioned the fact that you were hugely interested in and a dedicated follower of football my only question was as to how anyone could stop following a team they are supposed to be a fan of because of a change in home ground but maybe thats just my naivety?

I was only 4 years old when Milltown was sold so one question I would have was whether Stuggart88's thoughts would be representative of a lot of Rovers fans and whether they developed a totally new fanbase post Milltown?

The Man Himself
01/11/2007, 9:13 AM
I was a Pats Cup semi in 1986 in waterford and there was about 3,000 at the game and it was split 50/50

thats a load of bull and you know it.
there was about 6000 at that with about 500 pats fans and in the second leg in richmond park there was around 5000 with 3000 from waterford. and not only did we win 3-1 that day, we also won the fight :p

also" in 1980 cup final v pats there was 22,000 at the match with 18,000 from waterford.
pats had some shyte support back then and still have.

btid1
01/11/2007, 9:20 AM

I dont think a Waterford fan is in any position to be slagging Pats about the size of their support!!

gspain
01/11/2007, 9:50 AM
The Jesuits did in effect sell the ground ie they sold the lease to the Kilcoynes, and to say they were worried about there been uproar if " they sold the ground" is rubbish.

If they felt that way then when they were drawing up the terms of the sale of the lease to Kilcoyne they would of inserted a clause insisting that the land could only be used as a stadium for SRFC, that would of protected Rovers. However they had full knowledge of the fact that the terms of the lease sale granted the Kilcoynes the power to do what they wanted with the land (subject to PP) and they agreed to it...otherwise the Kilcoynes wouldn't of purchased the lease.... now the Jesuits of course did say afterwards that they asumed the Kilcoynes would continue to use the land as a stadium for Rovers and that is what they had expected to happen.... I don't buy that version, so IMO the Jesuits had no qualms about the participating in the demise of Rovers and their feigned shock at what the Kilcoynes did has always sickened me.

Still like to know where did all the money collected by KRAM go ??

I don't know how long the lease was for so that may have affected the sale price. They still sold something for £50,000 that was quickly sold for £1,000,000 albeit with PP which was very easy to get in those days.

The Jesuits probably didn't care too much about Rovers and their main concern would have been avoiding bad publicity by selling the ground themselves. However I believe they were conned and did not know the Kilcoyne's intended to sell the ground on. The could have insisted on a "sell on" clause or a "football only" clause.

My main point is that the blame lies fairly and squarely with the kilcoynes and blaming the Jesuits or KRAM or anybody else is deflecting attention from the real story.

Dodge
01/11/2007, 9:52 AM
thats a load of bull and you know it.
there was about 6000 at that with about 500 pats fans and in the second leg in richmond park there was around 5000 with 3000 from waterford.

Of course there was :rolleyes:

Even given your figures you brought 3,000 to a cup semi but contributed to crowds of not less than 10,000 for league games. :confused:

Worst thing about this fecking league is the rose tinted view of the crowds in the "good ol' days"

Calcio Jack
01/11/2007, 10:16 AM
I don't know how long the lease was for so that may have affected the sale price. They still sold something for £50,000 that was quickly sold for £1,000,000 albeit with PP which was very easy to get in those days.

The Jesuits probably didn't care too much about Rovers and their main concern would have been avoiding bad publicity by selling the ground themselves. However I believe they were conned and did not know the Kilcoyne's intended to sell the ground on. The could have insisted on a "sell on" clause or a "football only" clause.

My main point is that the blame lies fairly and squarely with the kilcoynes and blaming the Jesuits or KRAM or anybody else is deflecting attention from the real story.

The lease was for over 900 tears...thus by buying it the Kilcoynes knew they were in effect buying the land. The Jesuits who were represented by a firm of accountants were well informed and knew what they were doing and as I said the Kilcoynes wouldn't of bought the lease if it restricted them to using the land as a stadium... you said it yourself the Jesuits didn't care about Rovers and that's why as I said i've always been sickened by their public pretence that they were shocked by the Kilcoynes building houses... so the bottom line is that the Jesuits were the ones who destroyed Milltown because they could of stopped the Kilcoynes by (a) not selling the lease or (B) inserting a stadium only clause... and thus in no way can you say the Jesuits were conned

John83
01/11/2007, 10:44 AM
I never questioned the fact that you [Stuttgart88] were hugely interested in and a dedicated follower of football my only question was as to how anyone could stop following a team they are supposed to be a fan of because of a change in home ground but maybe thats just my naivety?

Three words:
Milton Keynes Dons.

Anyone think Wimbledon fans were wrong?

Macy
01/11/2007, 10:47 AM
Three words:
Milton Keynes Dons.

Five words: Plough Lane to Selhurst Park

John83
01/11/2007, 11:01 AM
Five words: Plough Lane to Selhurst Park
Touché

btid1
01/11/2007, 11:08 AM
Three words:
Milton Keynes Dons.

They were moving to a different town which was 2 hrs away.

Rovers moved within Dublin about 20 mins away!!!!

The Man Himself
01/11/2007, 11:39 AM
I dont think a Waterford fan is in any position to be slagging Pats about the size of their support!!

and thats coming from a bohs fan who only gets a crowd when their top of the league or in the semis of the cup.
did you ever go to a bohs v ucd match or v longford match with your 800 true fans.
dont try make your team out to be someone big when its only like the rest of the clubs in league of ireland (including cork) sunshiners when your winning and a few hundred real supporters when your not doing so good.

fergalr
01/11/2007, 12:53 PM
Kilcoyne got an easy ride on the program in contrast to other villains such as Cian O'Connor, Michelle Smith and C18.

btid1
01/11/2007, 1:19 PM
and thats coming from a bohs fan who only gets a crowd when their top of the league or in the semis of the cup.
did you ever go to a bohs v ucd match or v longford match with your 800 true fans.
dont try make your team out to be someone big when its only like the rest of the clubs in league of ireland (including cork) sunshiners when your winning and a few hundred real supporters when your not doing so good.

Thanks for making my point for me.There is no set of supporters in the EL who can slag another set for having small attendances but you seem to think you can...........who looks the gob****e now!!

Mr A
01/11/2007, 1:20 PM
Thanks for making my point for me.There is no set of supporters in the EL who can slag another set for having small attendances but you seem to think you can...........who looks the g*ob****e now!!

Steve Staunton.

DvB
01/11/2007, 1:42 PM
Steve Staunton.

Ahhhhh, consistency in a world gone mad!! :D

Koh

Boh_So_Good
01/11/2007, 1:49 PM
I recall once that the BBC sent over the cameras to cover the the 'Rovers Revolution' under Giles for Grandstand and the game was a farce. The score was something like 6-5 against Waterford and the ref decisions were bizzare. The whole segment became a "thick paddy" report and mocked Giles and Tracy for leaving West Brom and you could understand how they might of been embrrassed in front of their former playing peers watching in England seeing them played in such a paddywhackery match. One thing about the Giles revolution nobody mentions is that Rovers weren't that good! The SRFC of the 1980's were a far superior team than the one Giles had in the 70's.

I went to Milltown many times as a kid and I found it to be a fantastic place to to watch a match on Sunday. It did have a special atmosphere about it, but I was always beat up coming out by young rovers thugs as there was only one exit out on to MIlltown road and standing at the bus stops was dangerous too. I used to walk the long way down to Renelagh to avoid the little schooligans. But I still enjoyed going there.

One thing that struck me about Milltown was how pristene it was. The pitch was always beautiful, not a speck of dirt on the stands or terraces and all around the ground everything freshly painted and perfectly maintained. It was a class facility, no doubt.

One more thing, I worked in a social club were Louis Kilcoyne was a member and I always found him to be a very nice man - but this is 100% serious, there were a few other members who were like old time rovers supporters from the 1940's who refused to talk to him. I think the man suffered unfairly as he for a long time did his best for the club and eventually got fed up and no matter what anyone says SRFC supporters are the most fickle in the history of the league. They are all "devoted" as long as Rovers are in the latter stages of cup or league. They are just like GAA heads that way and always have been as long as I have been following LOI.

I personally am sick about hearing of Milltown in 2007. It's very old history now and the LOI today is a world away and still bringing the old saga up is like an old family problems which a few bitter relatives who really do not care have to mention to stir up ****e.

The Man Himself
01/11/2007, 2:28 PM
Thanks for making my point for me.There is no set of supporters in the EL who can slag another set for having small attendances but you seem to think you can...........who looks the gob****e now!!

it was the pats fan who started it. and it was you how made a comment about waterford fans.
so bite me sack.

khoop
01/11/2007, 2:30 PM
..... and no matter what anyone says SRFC supporters are the most fickle in the history of the league. They are all "devoted" as long as Rovers are in the latter stages of cup or league. They are just like GAA heads that way and always have been as long as I have been following LOI.

Says a Bohs fan.....
:rolleyes:

A more fickle group of fans you will not find ANYWHERE in the world.

DvB
01/11/2007, 2:33 PM
Says a Bohs fan.....
:rolleyes:

A more fickle group of fans you will not find ANYWHERE in the world.

Yeah, must say that made me chuckle also, a gypo coming out with that kind of stuff should be writing for Stephen Fry.

Koh

Dodge
01/11/2007, 2:35 PM
it was the pats fan who started it. and it was you how made a comment about waterford fans.
I was replying to you and your lies

so bite me sack.
Funniest thing I've read in ages :D:D:D

osarusan
01/11/2007, 2:37 PM
so bite me sack.

Still laughing out loud about this.:D

Edit: Still chuckling. I think it's the "me" instead of "my" that does it. I can practically hear it being said.

Dodge
01/11/2007, 2:45 PM
Yep still laughing here too...

Mr A
01/11/2007, 2:53 PM
Ack, you boys and your sackbiting jokes. It's always the feckin same.

gspain
01/11/2007, 2:54 PM
I recall once that the BBC sent over the cameras to cover the the 'Rovers Revolution' under Giles for Grandstand and the game was a farce. The score was something like 6-5 against Waterford and the ref decisions were bizzare. The whole segment became a "thick paddy" report and mocked Giles and Tracy for leaving West Brom and you could understand how they might of been embrrassed in front of their former playing peers watching in England seeing them played in such a paddywhackery match. One thing about the Giles revolution nobody mentions is that Rovers weren't that good! The SRFC of the 1980's were a far superior team than the one Giles had in the 70's.

I went to Milltown many times as a kid and I found it to be a fantastic place to to watch a match on Sunday. It did have a special atmosphere about it, but I was always beat up coming out by young rovers thugs as there was only one exit out on to MIlltown road and standing at the bus stops was dangerous too. I used to walk the long way down to Renelagh to avoid the little schooligans. But I still enjoyed going there.

One thing that struck me about Milltown was how pristene it was. The pitch was always beautiful, not a speck of dirt on the stands or terraces and all around the ground everything freshly painted and perfectly maintained. It was a class facility, no doubt.

One more thing, I worked in a social club were Louis Kilcoyne was a member and I always found him to be a very nice man - but this is 100% serious, there were a few other members who were like old time rovers supporters from the 1940's who refused to talk to him. I think the man suffered unfairly as he for a long time did his best for the club and eventually got fed up and no matter what anyone says SRFC supporters are the most fickle in the history of the league. They are all "devoted" as long as Rovers are in the latter stages of cup or league. They are just like GAA heads that way and always have been as long as I have been following LOI.

I personally am sick about hearing of Milltown in 2007. It's very old history now and the LOI today is a world away and still bringing the old saga up is like an old family problems which a few bitter relatives who really do not care have to mention to stir up ****e.

The 6-5 game was in March 1959. Rovers top, waterford 2nd, Rovers 4-1 up in the 2nd half and Waterford came back to win 6-5. I don't think there was another one. Rovers still own the title.

You are correct re the Giles era though. Rovers had been terrible, bottom in 1976, 11th in 1977 then Giles arrived and brought back the old pros. The team played pretty football but drew a lot of games. Giles did win the cup although don't mention that in Sligo or neutral Dublin referees. :D

Rovers were a decent top 4 or 5 team in the late 70's/early 80's. McLaughlin did transform them though into the best team in the country. Dermot Keely and Noel King made a huge difference as Rovers fans claim they added a bit of steel that was lacking under Giles. To fans of other clubs they were allowed get away with murder on the pitch. They did allow the like sof Pat Byrne and Liam O'Brien etc to play.

btid1
01/11/2007, 3:12 PM
so bite me sack.

Mature alright......

You were the first however to make the comment that Pats had little or no support so made the first comparison....

geysir
01/11/2007, 3:12 PM
Large dollop of hindsight bias here.

If you accept that the Kilcoynes were out to make money, rather than the good of Shamrock Rovers (as most LoI fans would), then your point becomes immaterial.

Kilcoyne didn't HAVE to sell the ground, he choose to.
I accept totally that Kilcoyne betrayed Rovers and greed ruled. KRAM were 100% frustrated. What I could gather was that KRAM didn't have a legal basis to stop it, they couldn't even compel a discussion not to mention a negotiation with Kilcoyne. Kilcoyne had the club tied up.
My point is not immaterial, I have worked on preparing constitutions for many different clubs/societies, in no way should Rovers have been exposed to the greed or financial ineptitude of any chairman, no way should it have been depending on its Chairman to have good will in order for it to have a ground to function.
A good constitution is the foundation of a club, history or fai cups are feck all use in a court when it comes to determining who owns the ground or who has the right to take the decision to sell.

Calcio Jack
01/11/2007, 3:29 PM
I accept totally that Kilcoyne betrayed Rovers and greed ruled. KRAM were 100% frustrated. What I could gather was that KRAM didn't have a legal basis to stop it, they couldn't even compel a discussion not to mention a negotiation with Kilcoyne. Kilcoyne had the club tied up.
My point is not immaterial, I have worked on preparing constitutions for many different clubs/societies, in no way should Rovers have been exposed to the greed or financial ineptitude of any chairman, no way should it have been depending on its Chairman to have good will in order for it to have a ground to function.
A good constitution is the foundation of a club, history or fai cups are feck all use in a court when it comes to determining who owns the ground or who has the right to take the decision to sell.

KRAM were also very busy collecting money...wonder where it went ??

btid1
01/11/2007, 3:37 PM

At a guess .....someones house extension??!

Kingdom
01/11/2007, 3:44 PM

I've seen this comment a couple of times the last couple of days is there an issue with rovers fans and KRAM? Was there much money raised?

Réiteoir
01/11/2007, 3:45 PM
Ack, you boys and your sackbiting jokes. It's always the feckin same.

Bite me sack my hole

And so on...

Réiteoir
01/11/2007, 3:47 PM
Giles did win the cup although don't mention that in Sligo or neutral Dublin referees. :D

I've heard bits and pieces about that - can you elaborate more for me gspain?

Lim till i die
01/11/2007, 6:59 PM
Any of the older fans on here have an idea of what it cost to go to other grounds at the time??

My dad nearly choked there when I told him it was £4 into Milltown in the early 80s and said he certainly would have been picking and choosing his games if he was a Rovers fan

gspain
01/11/2007, 7:39 PM
I've heard bits and pieces about that - can you elaborate more for me gspain?

1978 FAI Cup final Sligo v Shamrock Rovers

48th minute (first half) very dubious penalty awarded by John Carpenter gave Rovers a 1-0 win. Mention that cup final to a Sligo fan and it is sure to provoke a reaction.

There always seemed to be a Dublin referee when a Dublin side met a provincial side. JC was one of the better refs in his day but I doubt if he ever holidayed in Sligo again.

Knappagh Red
01/11/2007, 7:54 PM
Don't know what all the fuss is about Milltown was like Waterford UTD's ground without the running track with a terrace with a bit of a roof on the other side, and the club sat on their hands for over 50 years when Irish land prices were the cheapest in the EEC Boo Hoo for the Shams 20 years on get over it

The Man Himself
01/11/2007, 8:12 PM
Mature alright......

You were the first however to make the comment that Pats had little or no support so made the first comparison....

ST PATS FAN WROTE

I was a Pats Cup semi in 1986 in waterford and there was about 3,000 at the game and it was split 50/50

that was the respond he gave when i made a comment about waterford and rovers game at milltown always had over 10,000.

mypost
01/11/2007, 8:23 PM
Don't know what all the fuss is about Milltown was like Waterford UTD's ground without the running track with a terrace with a bit of a roof on the other side, and the club sat on their hands for over 50 years when Irish land prices were the cheapest in the EEC Boo Hoo for the Shams 20 years on get over it

Just one comment for the above spam:

The reason why they were cheap, was because the country was broke, and couldn't be afforded then, never mind now.

dcfcsteve
01/11/2007, 10:00 PM

How many of those Jesuits claim to be football people, were made FAI President, and are still involved in the game at an international level though....? :confused:

In otherwords - what responsibility, beyond a very vague moral one, did the Jesuits have to Rovers ? Their job was to look after their religious order - Kilcoynes was to look after his football club. Only one of those 2 failed in their remit.

dcfcsteve
01/11/2007, 10:05 PM
also" in 1980 cup final v pats there was 22,000 at the match with 18,000 from waterford.

Official attendnace was recorded as 18,000. A good crowd for 1980, nonetheless - the best crowd for over a decade, and not topped until City in 1988.

dcfcsteve
01/11/2007, 10:09 PM
Three words:
Milton Keynes Dons.

A very different case though.

That involved moving a club about 80 miles away to a totally different town. Wimbledon fans would hapily have continued to support the Dons had they moved to a new stadium in London, for example - as indeed most did during the very dreary days playing out of Selhurst Park after Plough lane had been vacated.

The Wimbledon fans fleeing the MK Dons debacle was about a team's league place being franchised to a different part of the country- not about the same team moving to a different stadium in the same city.

The Man Himself
01/11/2007, 10:09 PM

milltown was a fantastic football stadium, many a great game between waterford and rovers iv seen there,
i also had the pleasure of watching that great rovers team of the 80s play manchester united in there.
its just a pity we dont get many great games today like we did back then. and as for the support! "wow"

dcfcsteve
01/11/2007, 10:14 PM

Which is all very well - if you're dealing with a democratically structured body.

But Rovers was 100% owned by the Kilcoyne family. A constitution is feck all good when the legal power rests with a handful of owners.