PDA

View Full Version : best grounds

gufc4life
29/10/2007, 4:52 PM
heard that the judging is down to last 3 for this year award drogheda,turners cross and terryland, for best surface been selected by referees,and iog presentation at cup final at half time last year winners wer derry.

gael353
29/10/2007, 5:11 PM
heard that the judging is down to last 3 for this year award drogheda,turners cross and terryland, for best surface been selected by referees,and iog presentation at cup final at half time last year winners wer derry.

and they're the best? sweet jesus

pineapple stu
29/10/2007, 5:15 PM
Best pitch, apparently.

gufc4life
29/10/2007, 5:15 PM
and they're the best? sweet jesus

how would you no your from limrick :;)

BrayUnknowns
29/10/2007, 5:30 PM
If it's for best pitch then if the carlisle doesn't get it, it's a fooking joke !

gufc4life
29/10/2007, 6:47 PM
If it's for best pitch then if the carlisle doesn't get it, it's a fooking joke !

i was there 2 weeks ago and it was good but terryland i must say is better tbh

Lim till i die
29/10/2007, 6:50 PM
Kilkenny is (was??) an excellent surface.......

how would you no your from limrick

I can assure you he is infact from Limerick

Not that I see the relevance :confused:

Raheny Red
29/10/2007, 7:01 PM
Athlone's pitch is super

pineapple stu
29/10/2007, 7:02 PM
Our pitch was complimented by RTÉ yesterday; about the only positive thing they said about us all game!

The Man Himself
29/10/2007, 7:45 PM
the rsc is the best pitch in the country by a million miles

pineapple stu
29/10/2007, 7:47 PM
In bizarro land only!

gufc4life
29/10/2007, 8:09 PM

you should be a comedian

Iorfa
29/10/2007, 8:31 PM

Funniest thing I've seen on Foot.ie for a long long time.

tiktok
29/10/2007, 8:34 PM

Do you run obstacle courses for the Army or something?
From what I've seen this season, Terryland looked the best.

Sam_Heggy
29/10/2007, 9:21 PM
Athlone's pitch is super

You mad? Its as hard as Dundalks pitch and as small as our local underage pitches. The stand is superb though.

Considering the amount of use it gets though, id say Tolka is in good nick. Not the best pitch in the country just not near the worst either.

Raheny Red
30/10/2007, 7:37 AM
You mad? Its as hard as Dundalks pitch and as small as our local underage pitches. The stand is superb though.

Considering the amount of use it gets though, id say Tolka is in good nick. Not the best pitch in the country just not near the worst either.

Well the Athlone pitch was like a carpet a few weeks back.

Magicme
30/10/2007, 9:34 AM
It looked good on Saturday too but cant be sure if it was hard or not.

Réiteoir
30/10/2007, 9:39 AM
From what I've seen on the TV coverage this season - UCD has the best pitch.

Galway to steal win the award thanks to the last minute submission of a sparkly new DVD detailing the different types of grass in use across the league and why their pitch is slightly better than the one at Oriel Park.

All set to the theme music from the Kevin Costner film "Field of Dreams"

Conor H
30/10/2007, 10:03 AM
From what I've seen on the TV coverage this season - UCD has the best pitch.

Galway to steal win the award thanks to the last minute submission of a sparkly new DVD detailing the different types of grass in use across the league and why their pitch is slightly better than the one at Oriel Park.

Kind of old now don't ya think?:confused:

Terryland has had one of,if not the best,pitches in Ireland over the last 10 years.It's more often than not like a carpet.Wouldn't be at all surprised if we won it.

Guitd
30/10/2007, 10:23 AM
[QUOTE=Réiteoir;803506]From what I've seen on the TV coverage this season - UCD has the best pitch.

pitch thers seems very uneven and watching the game on telly at the weekend the goalposts wer a disgrace nets tied with tape/twine and could do with a bit of paint was bad image for club on live tv

The Man Himself
30/10/2007, 12:02 PM
the rsc update. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u134/pbr_2007/IMG_2627.jpg

Ceirtlis
30/10/2007, 12:19 PM
Kind of old now don't ya think?:confused:

Terryland has had one of,if not the best,pitches in Ireland over the last 10 years.It's more often than not like a carpet.Wouldn't be at all surprised if we won it.

One of my friends has played on it a bit in the last few years. He said it is not as nice as it looks.

ForzaForth
30/10/2007, 1:06 PM
Wexford's pitch is fabulous (professional job and first year of use) but is affected by the wind. Buckley Park only looked ok last weekend.

WoodquayBoy
30/10/2007, 1:12 PM

If that is the pitch in the foreground it looks shocking altogether ;0)

tiktok
30/10/2007, 3:27 PM

Looks a lot better in that photo in fairness, why don't you ever play on that grassy patch at the back though?

pineapple stu
30/10/2007, 6:04 PM
pitch thers seems very uneven and watching the game on telly at the weekend the goalposts wer a disgrace nets tied with tape/twine and could do with a bit of paint was bad image for club on live tv
Pitch has a bit of a slant in it, but then so do most.

Your other points are nonsense, in my opinion.

gufc4life
30/10/2007, 7:24 PM
Pitch has a bit of a slant in it,
a bit of a slant id say there s a bigger slant then a bit of a won

pineapple stu
30/10/2007, 7:31 PM
I've played on it; it's no bigger than "a bit of a one", which I will of course define to suit my own argument.

gufc4life
30/10/2007, 7:38 PM
One of my friends has played on it a bit in the last few years. He said it is not as nice as it looks.

i played on it too ceirtlis and taught it was briliant maybe he play s on it during the winter when most of the galway district league matches are on it????

Conor H
30/10/2007, 7:43 PM
Have played it on it a few times myself-immaculate everytime.
Noel Connolly is possibly the best groundsman in the Country.High standards every time.

WoodquayBoy
14/11/2007, 11:15 AM
Yes in yesterday's Sentinel (local paper here) that the Terryland pitch has been selected as the best in the division, with an official announcement later this week

pete
14/11/2007, 11:24 AM
Not sure what happened to the pitch at the Cross for game against Bohs last week.

Aside from our own pitch United Park & Terryland deserve to be in the running. TV pictures can be deceptive so hard to judge based on that. Saying that never seen Terryland in bad condition. Belfield grass is not short enough to be judged the best - leaving the grass that extra inch or two higher covers bumps & also makes for slower game.

A face
14/11/2007, 11:29 AM

Well if all things being equal as regards pitches and GUFC did have a DVD as you suggest then they deserve it.

A face
14/11/2007, 11:30 AM
leaving the grass that extra inch or two higher covers bumps & also makes for slower game.

Thats why they leave it so long ;)

exiled_gufc_fan
14/11/2007, 11:44 AM
The winning of the best pitch award was announced at the Galway United annual Awards do on Friday night - Noel Connolly got a deserved ovation from those attending.

The Rebel Ram
14/11/2007, 8:09 PM
Well the Athlone pitch was like a carpet a few weeks back.

Have to agree, I think Athlones pitch is the best I've seen in the country. Thier training pitch next door looked better than most other teams main pitches.......

gufc4life
29/11/2007, 8:33 PM
terryland was voted best ground this year congrats to noel connolly grounds man in terryland http://www.galwayunitedfc.ie/news-features/terryland-park-scoops-top-groundsman-award.html

BobtheDrog
29/11/2007, 9:35 PM
I played on united park a couple of weeks ago and the surface was amazing, but congrats to Galway

feo123
29/11/2007, 11:39 PM
united park looked class when we were there a few weeks before the nend of the season. but terryland has been superb whenever im there. never any different!

btid1
30/11/2007, 8:41 AM
Having spoken to a couple of the Ireland U-21 players after their game down there they were all raving about the surface on the Athlone pitch and in fairness you would think they would know what a good standard is.

Very hard for supporters of Premier Division teams to comment on the best pitch in the country when they havent seen most in the First Division.

Battery Rover
30/11/2007, 9:39 AM
Having spoken to a couple of the Ireland U-21 players after their game down there they were all raving about the surface on the Athlone pitch and in fairness you would think they would know what a good standard is.

Ronnie Whelan apparently said the same. Prior to that match the Irish and Bulgarian teams had three full training sessions on it as well so that shows how good the surface is

It got a bit hard and lost colour for a month during the summer so we got a pitch expert over from the UK to look at it and he made out a report saying the mower was lifting the grass too high before cutting. So the mower was changed and now everything is perfect with it.

John West is now in his 35th year looking after Athlone pitches so I think at this stage he might know a thing or two

But fair dues to Galway on their award

btid1
30/11/2007, 9:47 AM
John West is now in his 35th year looking after Athlone pitches so I think at this stage he might know a thing or two

I believe also that a lot of money was spent on the pitch in its original construction.Experts from the UK I believe involved in its design??

Lim till i die
30/11/2007, 9:51 AM

And he still finds time to catch us all that delicious salmon

What a guy

Battery Rover
30/11/2007, 9:52 AM
I believe also that a lot of money was spent on the pitch in its original construction.Experts from the UK I believe involved in its design??

Yes thats true. All parties involved made sure it was completed to the highest possible standard.

L37Ultra
30/11/2007, 10:01 AM

No wonder the pitch is so slippery :p:D

Spoons
30/11/2007, 11:30 AM
I always thought their was something "fishy" about Lissywollen!:D

CollegeTillIDie
01/12/2007, 8:20 AM

But fair dues to Galway on their award

Can I start the Conor Sammon to Athlone rumour here? :D

fbtn
01/12/2007, 10:12 AM

You mean that at the rsc you are a million miles FROM the pitch?

Finn Park may be a sh!thole but at least you can see the game.