PDA

View Full Version : Eircom league programmes

longfordjames
29/10/2007, 2:40 PM
I was at the Athlone Monaghan match Saturday and thought the programme was v.poor.I think Galway have the best of what i have seen.Whats your opinion?

pineapple stu
29/10/2007, 2:53 PM
Galway's had very little content, as I recall.

oriel
29/10/2007, 3:00 PM
Dundalk`s programme this year has been getting very good reviews, its a magazine style, a lot of colour and some excellent features, best I`ve ever seen from the club and def in the top 5 that has been produced of late through the league,

drogs had a good programme 2 years ago, not sure if they have same format now.

DmanDmythDledge
29/10/2007, 3:04 PM
I've seen every programme in the Premier this season (bar Cork) but none of them come close to Dundalk- by far the best in the league.

pineapple stu
29/10/2007, 3:11 PM
Drogs apparently have a ten man programme committee, although I don't know what they do, because there was nothing in their programme.

For what it's worth this season, in my opinion -
Bohs - don't remember
Bray - not a huge amount in it
Cork - wasn't down there
Derry - good, although I always get the feeling that it's largely a cut and paste job from the internet
Drogheda - little enough in it
Dundalk - very good publication; not too keen on the awkward size, but if that's all I can complain about...!
Galway - not much in it, as I recall.
Rovers - very good as per usual
Sligo - don't remember it
Pat's - one of the better ones I think
Waterford - very little in it
UCD - biased obviously 'cos I write for it, but it's got more content than most others, so it's a case really as to whether you feel glossy pages are a necessity.

In general though, don't think programmes in the league are particularly good quality, to be honest.

Conor H
29/10/2007, 3:17 PM
Cork have the best programme.
No other Club really comes close to it tbh,maybe Rovers.

Best of the rest would be...Rovers,UTD,Bohs and Derry IMO.

Sam_Heggy
29/10/2007, 3:20 PM
I think our programme is a good read. Better than most ive read this season. Monaghans must be the worst Ive seen in a long time. Athlones was poor enough too.
Dundalks is a good programme, similar to our own imo.
Cant remember a whole lot about the rest ive seen this season.

pete
29/10/2007, 3:24 PM
I don't buy away programmes any more due to vast majority being rubbish. Broke that habit in the last couple of years at Drogs only to see they using threads from the internet as filler. I hope it has improved since then. :o

Maroon 7
29/10/2007, 3:55 PM
The Galway programme is colourful, very slick and well put together but a little short on articles IMO.

atfconline
29/10/2007, 6:15 PM
First Division

Finn Harps - Probably only pipped by Dundalk's. Has always been of good quality in terms of production and content since I started going to Finn Park. Along with Dundalk, one Club that actually goes looking for articles from the opposing club.

Cobh Ramblers - Has the basics covered, but nothing extra special about it. Not a bad use of photos in it though. Layout is like their website, a bit all over the place.

Dundalk FC - Definitely the best. Nice design, articles on the opposition, good stuff on their history, interviews with players, good stats and good use of photos. Only thing it is lacking is colour.

Limerick 37/FC - Always found it poor enough in recent seasons, including our first visit this season. Don't have a copy from our second visit so it may have improved.

Shelbourne - Again only have one sample from Shels. Not too bad with some interviews, articles and home and away pen-pics. Anything lacking in the content is covered up the good production of it.

Kildare County - Never really been impressed with Kildare's. Kind of like Cobh's, covers the basics but very little special about it.

Monaghan United - Lot of little snippets of club news, like how the Under-12's got on last week and stuff like that, but have never seen any good articles with players etc in it.

Athlone Town - The less said about it the better.

Wexford Youths - The most expensive in the League at 4? Full A4 size and in full colour. Did improve from our first visit to our second visit this season. Should improve more with time.

Kilkenny City - See Athlone Town.

These are just my own feelings as a former programme editor on what I believe makes a good programme.

Cosmo
29/10/2007, 7:18 PM
the drogs one has improved since last year but a couple of the articles arent great especially one writer who seems to dictate his articles to rico the way they are written.actually does rico give english lessons that might explain it!

The drogs programme has improved a very small bit since last season (well it couldnt get any worse) but still miles behind the one from a couple of years ago!

Dundalk have a very good one this season - have seen very few others this season tbh, as ive been too tight to buy them - even the drogs home ones :o

monutdfc
29/10/2007, 8:08 PM
Monaghans must be the worst Ive seen in a long time.
You've not seen Kilkenny's then?

pineapple stu
29/10/2007, 8:32 PM
I think Salthill charged E2 for eight pages, including four ads, for our Cup game.

Battery Rover
29/10/2007, 8:33 PM
I was at the Athlone Monaghan match Saturday and thought the programme was v.poor.I think Galway have the best of what i have seen.Whats your opinion?

Yes but you didnt have to pay for it as there was a problem with the print run and count yourself lucky it is usually full of ads with no content.

Magicme
29/10/2007, 8:40 PM
Fair comments atfconline, but must say this season I have not been asked for anything by Dundalk and alot of the stuff in their programmes for us seems to enjoy taking petty swipes and they have come close on the liable laws in one programme of theirs I saw. It is still prob the best in the 1st division tho.

Wexford Youths is an excellent product too and especailly when you consider this is their first season.

Sam, Kilkenny's is the worst by a mile. €3 for a team sheet and a few ads and they even had the wrong team down for us (they had listed Wexford Youths players!).

I was shocked at how bad the Athlone one was on Saturday having always had the pleasure of enjoying atfconline's efforts. From one of the best programmes in the league to one of the worst in the same season is kinda shocking.

Jerry The Saint
29/10/2007, 9:01 PM
Dundalk`s programme this year has been getting very good reviews, its a magazine style, a lot of colour and some excellent features, best I`ve ever seen from the club and def in the top 5 that has been produced of late through the league,

I've seen every programme in the Premier this season (bar Cork) but none of them come close to Dundalk- by far the best in the league.

Promote that club!

Galway's had very little content, as I recall.

Looks like Maxi was right all along :(

Gaillimh Al
29/10/2007, 10:56 PM
Bray had a double programme(Cork game the previous Friday) for our recent trip to the Carlisle Ground. And the balls to charge 3 euro for it. Sad state of affairs. Rising costs mentioned as a reason.

sligoman
30/10/2007, 12:34 AM
I don't usually buy away programmes but I have seen Longford's one and I think it's terrible. Mostly adverts. Without sounding biased but our one is very good and has improved in the last few seasons. Lots of interesting articles along with the regular columns.

DRDoc
30/10/2007, 5:05 AM
but must say this season I have not been asked for anything by Dundalk and alot of the stuff in their programmes for us seems to enjoy taking petty swipes and they have come close on the liable laws in one programme of theirs I saw.

:D

You should have seen what they were going to print from a Philly Hughes interview!

tiktok
30/10/2007, 7:26 AM
Cork City's is far and away the best.
Rovers Second

gspain
30/10/2007, 7:53 AM
Dundalk's is the best in the first division for me closely followed by Harps. Nobody else is close with Cobh or maybe Shels probably best of the rest. I don't like the size of the Dundalk issue though.

Hard to comment on the premier division as I see very few league games and can only judge on Setanta and European programmes.

Dodge
30/10/2007, 9:29 AM
Rovers is by far the best, although at €4 its not great value for money.

Cork's isn't a patch on preious years.

Some rubbish efforts out there. Can't comment on any frst division...

khoop
30/10/2007, 9:18 PM
Rovers is by far the best, although at €4 its not great value for money

What's great value???

Is €2 for 8 pages of ads great value?

Is €1 for a messy photo-copy great value?

Good quality printing ain't cheap.

RamsieOnTour
30/10/2007, 9:51 PM
Cork has a great programme

Shels Dont seem to talk about anything outside Dublin

Dundalk another great programme

Kilkenny lets all start laughing

The Lilywhites
30/10/2007, 10:40 PM
Can only really speak for the First Division as I've only seen one Premier Division programme this season.

Dundalk the best by a mile. Harps a clear second. Shels was okay and easily finish third, as the other seven would really be better off not even bothering.

Martinho II
04/11/2007, 1:29 PM
I don't usually buy away programmes but I have seen Longford's one and I think it's terrible. Mostly adverts. Without sounding biased but our one is very good and has improved in the last few seasons. Lots of interesting articles along with the regular columns.

agree with sligoman on that. gas thing is up to two years ago we had a excellent match program. but this is what happens when there is cutbacks im afraid!

steno
04/11/2007, 6:30 PM
Can only really speak for the First Division as I've only seen one Premier Division programme this season.

Dundalk the best by a mile. Harps a clear second. Shels was okay and easily finish third, as the other seven would really be better off not even bothering.

Unfortunately its part of the club licensing.:o

Best in the First Division I've seen to date has been the Finn Harps and Wexford youths programmes. Hopefully going to Dundalk next week so will see what thats like.

I always thought Corks programme in the Premier was a good read but haven't been down there this season. Have Shamrock rovers, bohs, Bray and St. Pats programmes for this season and all have nice articles and useful bits of info. Premier programmes that I've got this season are a lot better than what I have for the first division.

Cosmo
05/11/2007, 2:07 AM
drogs one this week was something around 64 pages with yer man outta the star paul lennon and jack white from the irish mail giving a bit as well as jim mcardle gerry kelly and ken murray about the last 44 years and further but it was a one off for the night that was in it sadly

Fantastic souvenier alright, but overall the drogs programme has been s*** this season!! As i said earlier, as much as it kills me to say it the craptown programme could well be the best programme in the premier and first division

John83
05/11/2007, 10:16 AM
What's great value???

Is €2 for 8 pages of ads great value?

Is €1 for a messy photo-copy great value?

Good quality printing ain't cheap.
This is very true. I've often seen UCD's programme criticised for produced on normal printing paper. There's a trade-off here - glossy or cheap.

What do people prefer? Would you happily pay €4 for a glossy programme, or would you sooner the same content on non-glossy paper for €2?

WoodquayBoy
05/11/2007, 1:01 PM
From what I have seen, Rovers have a good programme, as have Cork, and reckon they are the top 2

feo123
05/11/2007, 1:10 PM
corks was good enough i think.
never get programmes really though. but corks was best that i got this year, of about 2 or 3 only