PDA

View Full Version : Gutted!

Angus
29/10/2007, 8:49 AM
Well, the title says it all.

Gutted. Well done Longford and best of luck for the rest of the season - excellent defensive display and one touch of class did us.

With all respect to LTFC, I thought we were the better side and still cannot believe how we did not score.

Unfortunately, we do not have that bit of guile in the final third to fashion a clear chance - yes, Podge, Fran, Sammo and Tony all should have scored.

No fingers pointed at any of the players or at Pete - difficult to argue with the strating XI - thought Kinger might have given us a bity of composure in midfield for the last 20 but this is all clutching at straws.

Yes, the last corner was a mess but I suspect we were goosed at that stage.

Gutted.

De Town
29/10/2007, 9:07 AM
Yeah we rode our luck at times alright, but we also had some chances of our own. Great goal by Robbie aswell.

pineapple stu
29/10/2007, 10:54 AM
Story of our season - beat Derry away and lose to Longford at home. One of the more one-sided semis you'll see, but we couldn't do anything with it.

Always next year...

DmanDmythDledge
29/10/2007, 11:02 AM
No fingers pointed at any of the players or at Pete - difficult to argue with the strating XI - thought Kinger might have given us a bity of composure in midfield for the last 20 but this is all clutching at straws.
Kinger should have started. Complete injustice considering the difference between his and Tony Mc's performance against Bohs. While Tony didn't do anything wrong yesterday Finn wasn't able to have as much freedom as usual and was less effective as a result.

Pete should have made the chnages he made 20/25 minutes earlier. Shocking decision to wait until six minutes to go.

Burnsie
29/10/2007, 11:14 AM
Very disappointing altogether.

By any measure except the only one that is ultimately important, UCD had the better of the game. Generally we were solid at the back, with just one early scare before the goal, which was brilliantly scored from what I saw, one block by Quigley's legs, and then his spectacular save from Baker in injury time with the game as good as lost.

In contrast, UCD seemed to be constantly pressurising the Longford penalty box. Unlike other games where we've been shut out, we were able to create opportunities, but bad luck and bad finished conspired to our demise. And the fiasco of the final corner was embarrassing.

I was very impressed with Bermingham at fullback, and Fran Moran had a good game dropping off the front I thought, with many neat touches.

Congratulations to Longford.

Poor Student
29/10/2007, 11:31 AM
The players were properly up for this tie unlike the previous few dull league affairs. The defence was solid throughout. They were partly at fault for backing off Robbie Martin, but in truth it was a tremendous finish and not one you'd expect to be pulled out like that. Can't really fault the performance of anyone. Centre halves were solid. Bermo was great. Alan Mahon was good. Podge had his best game by far since returning, game the impression he'd have ran through a brick wall for us, his performance above all delighted me. Conan was great as usual and whipped in some great balls. Tony Mac was solid and Finn put in an energetic performance. Fran did well up front for a guy with such little experience, seems to have a deft enough touch. Sammo did well too, took on players, moved well, got a header on target. Forgot Quigley, couple of very good leg blocks and a wonderful save from Baker at the end.

We sadly lacked the cutting edge up front. Conan and Podge got in behind the defence and sent some tantalising balls in but no one got on the end of them properly. I've also got to say that we're just not getting the attacking penetration from centre midfield. No runs beyond the defence, no long range bolts and when you've got no goal poacher up front and no one from centre midfield scoring goals you will struggle to win games. I'm proud of the lads for their effort, attitude and performance though.

pineapple stu
29/10/2007, 3:03 PM
Police are looking for a gang from Longford in connection with a robbery between 3:15 and 5pm yesterday in Belfield Park yesterday. The match, believed to be worth in the region of €75,000, was stolen along with numerous Euro hopes and dreams.

After withstanding early Town pressure when Dave Mooney fired over after two minutes, UCD started to probe their visitors, casually creating gaps on both wings as Pat McWalter and Conan Byrne got the better of their markers. And on six minutes, UCD's first real chance came when McWalter played Fran Moran in on goal, but the striker's shot was weak and straight at Shay Kelly, who saved with his feet.

Ten minutes later, Conan Byrne and Alan Mahon linked up down the right, with the latter sending in a low ball which Ronan Finn latched on to, but Kelly palmed away Finn's powerful shot from a narrow angle, and the rebound was just behind Conor Sammon.

On 25 minutes, a loose ball in the middle saw McWalter get away on the left as UCD suddenly had four on three. McWalter cut inside and chose the shot, which was blocked, and Sammon's snap shot was comfortably held by Kelly. Thirty seconds later, Kelly was away out of his box to clear for a throw as Conan Byrne ran onto a through ball.

UCD were getting plenty of room on the wings, although Damien Brennan in particular was in fine form as the Town's defence just about held up to the barrage it faced. The visitors did have a let off on the half hour when Conor Sammon appeared to be pushed in the back by Brennan in the box; no penalty was awarded, but Brennan's relieved smile told its own story.

As the game really began to flow, Dave Mooney was pleyd through on the left of the box, but his low show was well saved with his feet by Darren Quigley.

On 36 minutes, Shay Kelly sliced a backpass out of the ground; from the resulting throw, McWalter sent in a cross which Conor Sammon headed towards goal, but Kelly produced an excellent tip over to deny UCD the lead.

And it was a vital save indeed, as two minutes later, the Town went ahead. Jame Duffy broke into the box, Robbie Martin took the ball on the penalty spot, turned and fired a shot into the bottom corner, leaving Quigley no chance.

A minute later, normal service was resumed as Fran Moran's bustling created space for McWalter, who broke into the box, chipped Shay Kelly only to see man of the match Damien Brennan clear off the line; an offside eventually ended the ensuing scramble.

The second half was slower paced, although Alan McNally nearly equalised on 52 with a sensational volley from all of 35 yards, which was destined for the bottom corner until Shay Kelly got a strong hand to the shot to turn it wide.

Darren Quigley was awoken from his slumber on the hour when Dessie Baker rifled a low shot from the right side of the box; the UCD keeper saved well with his feet. And on 63 minutes, a low Pat Sullivan cross was flicked wide by Dave Mooney, with the Longford fans cheering a goal as the ball bounced off the fence and rolled into the wrong side of the back of the net.

On 68 minutes, Conan Byrne sent in an excellent cross which found Conor Sammon unmarked six yards out, but by the time Sammon took a touch to get the ball under control, the Town defence had regrouped to block Sammon’s eventual shot for a corner. From the corner, a scramble ensued – Kelly’s punch was weak, Bermingham’s overhead was barely cleared, Ronan Finn’s shot was flicked on by Sammon, Fran Moran got in front of Kelly to set up Conor Kenna to tap home into an empty net, but the linesman correctly ruled that Moran’s assist had come from an offside position, so the goal was ruled out.

Conor Sammon was the next to create an opening, skipping past his man down the left, cutting in past two players only to be denied with an excellent covering tackle as he was about to shoot. And on 73, a corner landed right at the feet of Tony McDonnell, but the ball got trapped under his foot and another chance was lost.

Town were slightly fortunate not to be reduced to ten men with a quarter of an hour to go when Dave Mooney, already on a yellow card for earlier kicking the ball away, caught Alan McNally with an elbow as both went up for a header. However, there was a growing feeling of inevitability about the result - a minute after the McNally incident, Fran Moran took down a deep cross, and McWalter's shot was well over from a good position. At the other end, Pat Sullivan was similarly wide from a similar position as Town made a rare foray towards UCD's goal.

As UCD poured bodies forward to try and retrieve the game, gaps did start to appear at the back; Gary Deegan shot straight at Darren Quigley when well placed on 80 minutes.

Even the ref's decisions were going against UCD - Conan Byrne's last act before being subbed in the 83rd minute was to be dragged down by Mark Rutherford on the edge of the area, but remarkably, no free kick was going.

The sub saw Paul Byrne and Darren Forsyth come on for Conan Byrne and Fran Moran as UCD went 3-4-3 for the final few minutes - Conor Kenna going left back, Ian Bermingham moving up to the left wing and Pat McWalter going on the right.

The chances continued to come - Ronan Finn shot narrowly wide from the edge of the box and Paul Byrne headed wide from a Bermingham cross, while at the other end, a tight offside flag denied Dave Mooney while in injury time, a poor kick from Quigley saw Mooney freed, but his first time shot was excellently turned away one-handed by Quigley.

The proverbial last chance came deep into the four minutes of injury time - Shay Kelly came for a ball which wasn't his, Tony McDonnell beat him to it, but Town just about scrambled their lines for a corner. The kick was curiously taken short, UCD lost the ball without getting the cross in, and the whistle went. The Cup run over for another year, the result of ill luck, poor finishing in front of goal and stout defending from the visitors.

There's always next year...

UCD - Quigley; Mahon, Bermingham, Kenna, McNally; McDonnell, C Byrne (Forsyth 83), Finn, McWalter; Sammon, Moran (P Byrne 83). Subs not used - Gregg, Crowley,

Att - 1250

CollegeTillIDie
29/10/2007, 4:11 PM
Forsyth and Byrne should have been brought on about 20 minutes earlier than they were..... after all the efforts to draw a crowd to the most important game ever staged at Belfield Park, a disappointing 1,250 represents a slap in the face to all those who made efforts to boost the crowd. We got more people than that for a League game at the start of the season .

Had we reached the final I would not , on the basis of yesterday, have been too optimistic about the number of '' fans'' we would have been able to attract. There were four members of our 1985/86 squad present , Barry Geoghegan , Paul Kavanagh, Peter Prendergast and Martin O'Sullivan were at the game . As was Aidan Lynch.

pineapple stu
29/10/2007, 4:15 PM
That's because Rovers brought over 1000.

There were more UCD fans at the game yesterday than at that season opener.

Titan
29/10/2007, 5:18 PM
Sick.

Have only just started talking again.

Oh Well

CollegeTillIDie
29/10/2007, 6:37 PM
That's because Rovers brought over 1000.

There were more UCD fans at the game yesterday than at that season opener.

Some of them hadn't been to a game since shortly after the Doc died :rolleyes:

Poor Student
29/10/2007, 6:39 PM
Some of them hadn't been to a game since shortly after the Doc died :rolleyes:

They're more likely to come back, start going or whatever by actually coming to see us play.

pineapple stu
29/10/2007, 6:40 PM
Eh?

First we had a poor support, now we're picking up fans who haven't been to a game in five years?!

CollegeTillIDie
29/10/2007, 7:06 PM
Eh?

First we had a poor support, now we're picking up fans who haven't been to a game in five years?!

If they come only once every five years YOU CANNOT DEPEND ON THEM! duh :rolleyes:

pineapple stu
29/10/2007, 7:11 PM
Look, your original point was to complain that this crowd was lower than the Rovers game. Can you please admit that that point was nonsense? Everything else is just you posting random comments which have nothing to do with your original post.

CollegeTillIDie
29/10/2007, 9:20 PM
pineapple stu

How is it nonsense when it's a matter of record that fewer people attended the semi-final than attended the Rovers game?
When points are raised that don't fit in with your world view do you just rubbish them as a matter of course? That's fascist!

Poor Student
29/10/2007, 10:14 PM
I don't see anything wrong with what Pineapple said. The Rovers crowd was entirely down to Rovers fans and doesn't relate to a crowd for a Longford game. There were more UCD fans at the Longford cup semi than the Rovers game. Matter of record or not the comparison is not relevant.

Angus
30/10/2007, 7:24 AM
Men - relax.

The wider point here is about the Irish sporting psyche.

Across the 4 or 5 main sports, there is no evidence that the Irish fan wants to tip up every opther week to see a league style campaign. The GAA gets massive crowds for certain games but in an "event" capacity i.e. 80,000 tip up to croke park but for a league game the attendance is muich smaller (yes I know league / championship).

Similiarly with rugby, huge crowds for banner games but nobody (poetic licence) goes to the AIL - possible exception is Leinster / Munster who in fairness have support across their competitions - again the games are limited in number and have an "event" feel to them.

The prospect to an Irish "fan" of going every other week to see a side just doesn't fit with most people. In soccer there is definitely a snobbery involved i.e. unless the standard is premiership I am not going.

Believe me there are some premiership games which would not match last sunday (bolton, derby, birmingham, sunderland, wigan - pick any combo of these....).

The quality of the games would clearly improve the crowds but only to a limited extent - there is a stage where we reach the limit.

Irish fans are great for events but there is a much smaller following base for the regular weekly league campaign.

CollegeTillIDie
30/10/2007, 7:45 AM
Finally someone making a valid point instead of sniping at someone else's points. Well said Angus. You've encapsulated the Irish Fan as event junky issue succinctly. Anything that involves a commitment , supporting a soccer team, marriage, or stuff like that, and most Irish people run scared from it these days.

CollegeTillIDie
30/10/2007, 7:48 AM
I don't see anything wrong with what Pineapple said. The Rovers crowd was entirely down to Rovers fans and doesn't relate to a crowd for a Longford game. There were more UCD fans at the Longford cup semi than the Rovers game. Matter of record or not the comparison is not relevant.

Less effort went into promoting the Shamrock Rovers game and we got a poorer crowd for the bigger promotion. And there will be less people there on Friday night for the St.Pat's match into the bargain.

Poor Student
30/10/2007, 8:48 AM
Less effort went into promoting the Shamrock Rovers game and we got a poorer crowd for the bigger promotion. And there will be less people there on Friday night for the St.Pat's match into the bargain.

This is specious reasoning is I've ever seen it. It pains me to continue this tedious conversation but it's hard to read this. You know as well as I do that the attendance at the Shamrock Rovers match had to do with their own fans coming to watch them return to the Premier. It had little to do with us or our own promotional activities. We had more of our own fans at the Longford game and that's the only relevant fact. Are you denying this fact? What is the relevance of the away support when talking about our own club?

CollegeTillIDie
31/10/2007, 6:35 PM
......You know as well as I do that the attendance at the Shamrock Rovers match had to do with their own fans coming to watch them return to the Premier. It had little to do with us or our own promotional activities. We had more of our own fans at the Longford game and that's the only relevant fact. Are you denying this fact? What is the relevance of the away support when talking about our own club?

The bank manager doesn't give a rat's ass whose money makes up the club's takings when they bring it in on a Monday morning :rolleyes:

Poor Student
01/11/2007, 7:38 AM
The bank manager doesn't give a rat's ass whose money makes up the club's takings when they bring it in on a Monday morning :rolleyes:

Your point was that more promotion went into the cup semi than the Rovers game and we had a lower attendance. Our promotional efforts by and large are only going to affect our own fans. More of our own fans attended the game we promoted for than the game we didn't. You're making up random tangental points again that have nothing to do with your original point.

CollegeTillIDie
01/11/2007, 7:58 AM
Poor Student

More of our fans were at the Cup semi-final, even though the gate was smaller. The game was held on a Sunday. I suppose you're going to tell me that has nothing to do with it either ! I cannot see the club switching games to Sunday because we will have a larger portion of the support present if the gate receipts are smaller ..... Everything is connected to the bottom line, which is what attendances are all about.
The potential for advertising is affected by the crowds that turn up. That affects the bottom line.
Being live on Television affects the bottom line. It increases the profile of the club while potentially lowering the attendance. It all affects the bottom line. If you want to stay in the League as a club if you want to aspire to be somewhat successful you have to keep the revenues up.

Schumi
01/11/2007, 10:54 AM
CTID, I'm confused as to what your point is. We all agree that the crowd at the cup semi was lower than at the Rovers game, and we all agree that that's bad.

Why was it lower? A number of factors:
1,100 Rovers fans who came to the Rovers game didn't come to the cup semi and 500 Longford fans took their place. Not much that could be done about that.

The game was on a bank holiday Sunday, both bank holiday weekends and Sundays have negatively affected our crowds in the past. Nothing could be done about that, it was an FAI decision.

The game was on TV so some lazier types may have stayed at home to watch it. Again, nothing could (or should) be done about that.

Taking all of those into account, the promotion clearly had a positive effect on the crowd, not as much as we'd all have hoped but a positive effect nonetheless. Large crowds aren't going to appear overnight, it'll take a lot of sustained hard work to make people know we exist and entice them to come to games.

CollegeTillIDie
02/11/2007, 7:18 AM
Schumi

The picture on the semi-final is confusing for precisely all the reasons you mentioned. OUR support went up when the overall attendance went down.
The games was on a Sunday ( which may account for more of OUR support being present). The opposition partly accounts for the lower crowd, there are after all fewer people in Longford who support Town, than Rovers supporters.
It was a Bank Holiday weekend , which may account for the overall lower crowd. Live Television partly accounts for the lower crowd too overall. Around 2 o'clock it clouded over and looked like it was going to rain, I am sure that dissuades a small portion of potential attendees from leaving their Televisions for the real thing. The Bank Holiday weekend was a huge factor because the Bohs-Cork crowd was poor for a game of such importance too. There doesn't seem to be any answers to the attendance issue. On the one hand we seem to get a bigger indigenous support on a Sunday, but the bank manager won't be best pleased cause the gate receipts will be lower than on a Friday. Our attendances on Friday bounce all around the houses though, ranging from a few hundred to several thousand depending on whether it rains, who we are playing, how cold it is , whether it's a school night, whether there is a mid-term break beginning, whether it's during the College term or not, whether the L and H have a good debate on or not.

I just don't understand how a League Cup Final midweek in October( 2005 against Derry) is a more attractive game seemingly than an FAI Cup semi-final two years later at the same venue when any ordinary ELOI fan would tell you the Cup semi-final would be the more attractive fixture.

The point is, there seems to be no definitive answer to the crowd issue .