PDA

View Full Version : Mahon want Students to make grade

DmanDmythDledge
26/10/2007, 4:47 PM
From Irish Times (http://http://www.ireland.com/sports/soccer/2007/1010/1191668880773.html):

Mahon wants Students to make grade
Paul O'Hehir
Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Pete Mahon is deeply frustrated that his UCD team has failed to build on last season's promise. The Students - who lost 2-1 at home to Cork City on Monday night - finished sixth last year and Mahon had hoped to progress this campaign.

But with just five league games remaining his side lurk in eight spot, only seven points clear of the relegation play-off spot.

"I felt at the start of the season we had a squad of good players that could push on from last year. But we haven't done that and that's disappointing.

"But we have games remaining and we'll be trying to get as many points as we possibly can."

Initially reluctant to reel off excuses for his side's mixed-bag, Mahon goes on to suggest that fixture scheduling has been unkind.

"We've had a lot of midweek games because we've facilitated clubs that play in Europe as well as under-21 internationals. It's all catching up on us," he said. "You don't want to be making excuses but they're the facts . A lot of midweek games and a lot of travelling.

"That's also where the full-timers kick in, they've time to recover. Some of our lads are going to college and work in the morning and then back training in the evening. It's pretty tough but we're in the big boys league so we have to get on with it.

"Maybe I have to accept some of the blame as well," he added. "Everyone makes mistakes. I'm a long time in the game but you never stop learning. I really felt we were in a better position to push on but it just hasn't happened. It's collective blame."

UCD join Cork, Bohemians and Longford in the pot for tonight's FAI Ford Cup semi-final draw. Mahon is not fussed on who he plays but, naturally, is keen to reach the final all the same.

Still, Premier Division survival is first and foremost on his mind with next stop Derry City on Friday.

"There's still a lot to play for as other clubs towards the bottom still have to play one another. A lot can still happen."

pineapple stu
26/10/2007, 4:50 PM
Why you posting that now?

DmanDmythDledge
26/10/2007, 4:52 PM
Only noticed it now, no harm posting it, still relevant.