PDA

View Full Version : Shall we go for seven?

UCD_4_Life
10/05/2003, 12:28 AM
Long ball? Long flucking ball? Why are they hitting long balls up to Sean Finn and Robbie Martin against a Shelbourne defence that doesn't lose many headers at the best of times?

I can't believe that Doolo wouldn't have told them not to hit long balls, if I can notice then surely he can?

Then there is the fact that anytime we cause Shels any problems it was when we passed the ball, but still it's like we're a Cork City tribute show. Tony Mac and Niall Donnelly were positively cringeworthy when they were on the ball, I'm finding it hard to remember a decent ball that either one played. For instance in the second half we got a free kick that Tony stepped up to take. To his right and in front of him nobody was free but to his left Daz Ryan was in acres of space but Tony never even looked left. What he do? Hoof. Shels cleared it easily as was typical of the night when we played long balls.

When we actually got it down and passed it we looked like a mid-table team rather than a side that has only scored one goal in their last 540 minutes of football.

Then there was the defence. That first goal was a complete and utter farce. Our original marking was poor, we then had a chance to win it back and didn't due to one thing or another, then Wes Houlihan was allowed way to walk into the penalty area and pick his spot. Awful.

I left after the second went in as I knew we wouldn't get even one back. On the way home I was praying to be proven wrong but nope.

If it wasn't time to panic before then it certainly is now.

On the bright-side, we will surely be contenders for the play-offs in Division One. How much is the bus to Galway?

pineapple stu
10/05/2003, 12:33 AM
Couldn't believe we were hoofing it so much tonight. We had the best non-goal chances of the night - particularly Alan McNally's cracker off the bar in the first half. Robbie Griffin did very well when he came on as he had the cool head to take the ball down and play it, which led to a couple of decent late chances.

Someone said Niall Donnelly had good distribution - he was woeful! Wasn't too bad otherwise - one saving tackle stands out when I thought he was going to cream his man - but at the moment, we need experience.

Still (!) think Derry and Drogheda are as bad as us, but if we don't get a result in Drogheda, we're in serious trouble. Jennings had a good game, and should start in Drogheda. Apart from that - defence of Ryan, Sullivan, McDonnell and McAuley; midfield of Griffin, McNally, Davey and Cawley; up front Baker and Martin. Still leaves a bench of Andrews, J. Martin, O'Donnell, Whelan, Finn and others.

At least Jason Byrne didn't score - his first game ever in a Shels top without scoring!

UCD_4_Life
10/05/2003, 12:39 AM
If The Drogs are gonna play the Fabio - Myler combo then I'd definitely start with Robbie Mac. He could do a good job of keeping Fabio quiet.

Derry got a point against Bohs which puts us four adrift with Drogheda, Longford and Pat's to come over the next few weeks (just guessing but that's who we haven't played yet) followed by Bohs at the start of June.

Perhaps relegation wouldn't be such a bad thing. A lot of the players we have now have been in a lot of relegation battles and I'd say that by the third or fourth it gets increasingly difficult to slog it out every week. Maybe the drop down will give us a chance to rebuild.

pineapple stu
10/05/2003, 12:49 AM
Bugger that! Finally, it seems the club seems to be going in the right direction off the pitch - bigger local support, new stand, class programme (!) - no point spoiling it all by getting relegated! I'd be happy with 8th place for the next four or five years if it meant that gates grew 20% every season, with all the increase coming from more home fans. In five years time, that would mean gates against Bohs of over 4,000 and even the lower games of 1,750 - this would be a huge help to getting better players home from England, keeping the likes of Bazza and Robbie Doyle and establishing ourselves as a team challenging for honours. And with the catchment area we have, there's no reason why we can't grow like that - unless we get relegated!

UCD_4_Life
10/05/2003, 12:54 AM
Well if you wanna look at it that way...

We had a good crowd tonight. At least 1,000 although most of them were Shels fans.

Also what's with the club shop? I went over to buy a bar and it took me nearly ten minutes because some kid was taking ages trying to add the cost of stuff in his head. Imagine my horror as someone ordered two bottles of water, two Twix, two packets of crisps and two Snickers bars!

hayser
10/05/2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by UCD_4_Life
Well if you wanna look at it that way...

Also what's with the club shop? I went over to buy a bar and it took me nearly ten minutes because some kid was taking ages trying to add the cost of stuff in his head. Imagine my horror as someone ordered two bottles of water, two Twix, two packets of crisps and two Snickers bars!

You fat bast.ard:)

pineapple stu
10/05/2003, 7:18 PM

Club shop went downhill after the franchise came in and I got thrown out - though I never really got the hang of all this moderen euro change...;)

Was in Texaco today - E1.30 for a Cornetto ice-cream! I paid E2 on Friday...:mad:

UCD_4_Life
10/05/2003, 7:27 PM
Originally posted by pineapple stu
Club shop went downhill after the franchise came in and I got thrown out - though I never really got the hang of all this moderen euro change...;)

Was in Texaco today - E1.30 for a Cornetto ice-cream! I paid E2 on Friday...:mad:

I noticed the Cornetto machine alright.

The board probably decided to purchase that instead of a new player...;)

@ndy
12/05/2003, 9:11 AM
I noticed the Cornetto machine alright.

The board probably decided to purchase that instead of a new player...;)

lol...they probably thought he was an italian ringer...H B Cornetto!

Anyway, it isn't very funny being a ucd fan at the moment. I'm sick of this season already. Also, it's clear to me that the board are happy to let the club remain as is, and not build on local support, contrary to what you might think. I believe that STIG and the fans making noise are 99% responsible for attracting the new fans. Since there have been 5/10 fans there every week wearing jerseys...youngsters have realised it's ok to be a ucd fan. The club have not and with the present set up will never proactively exploit this. I have very good reasons to believe this and it makes me wonder whether i really want to keep following the club. Yeah, so we're building a new stadium...because we have to! If anyone wants to talk to me about this as a concerned ucd fan, pm/email me, as i don't think it should be on a public forum.

Anyway, i think it is time to go back to the shell of last years team, Robbie, Daragh, Paddy and MR X at the back. Alan Cawley, McNally, Tony Mac and Johnny Martin, with the option of Finn/Gallen/Martin/Griffin to partner Baker. I would, believe it or not give Gallen the start at the moment. As for Mr X, perhaps Niall Donnelly deserves it. If you don't like that, it has to be tony mac with Finn/Griffin in the middle.

GIVE US SOME BLEEDIN POINTS FAST LADS...I WANT TO SEE US WIN BEFORE I GO TO FECKIN CORK!!!

The Sheliban
12/05/2003, 11:18 AM
I thought your defence played well defensively, although we played into your hands in the first half knocking high balls into Wes!! Your distribution from the back was poor. The midfield huffed and puffed, but spent much of the match watching the ball sail over their heads.
But for all that, you created as many chances as us, and but for a bit of luck and composure in front of goal, you might have got something out of it.
Congratulations on the programme and the fanzine incidentally. Enjoyed both immensely.

Aberdonian Stu
12/05/2003, 11:18 AM
Frankly I think the problem at centre-back is now at a stage where it is in more urgent need of attention than up front, even with our utterly appalling scoring record.

I've said before and I'll say it again, Tony Mac's too poor in the air to operate at centre-back, we need someone with a serious noggin, any1 know if that alcho Wes Charles is available?

@ndy
12/05/2003, 12:15 PM
What price Richie Purdey. How did we let him go to a first division side when we let Clive go aswell :confused: ? I mean, he's be first name on the sheet now! Himself and Robbie at the back and Tony in the centre and we'd be much more stable.

@ndy
12/05/2003, 12:18 PM
Tell me what the hell is gonna happen if Tony and Robbie end up gettin injured? Or Paddy Sullivan, or Dessie Baker...or Robbie Martin...i mean, our squad is far too weak at the moment, and i really believe we will be going down, and i'm usually really optimistic. I wonder what the odds are on us to stay up? On Friday it was like...thank God for the extra long season...for me i can't go along with that, because we're gonna keep losing games like this...and other teams are not

Aberdonian Stu
12/05/2003, 12:55 PM
While we were stupid to let Purdy go (I genuinely thought that I would never hear myself saying that) he's still not much under a high ball. We need a guy with a noggin, let Robbie Mac worry about the skill side of central defence.

@ndy
12/05/2003, 1:49 PM
did Griffin ever play at the back?

@ndy
12/05/2003, 1:49 PM
oh...this is hopeless...:(

The Sheliban
12/05/2003, 2:13 PM
"Fear not," said he, for mighty dread
Had seized their troubled minds.
"Glad tidings of great joy I bring
For you and student kind.

"You're better than the Candystripes,
You're better than the Drogs.
And Doolo will ensure that ye
Will not go to the dogs."

@ndy
12/05/2003, 2:36 PM
:)

John83
12/05/2003, 2:39 PM
:cool:

@ndy
12/05/2003, 2:41 PM
feck i really hope we stop losing games. Anyone got the results from last year to this stage?

Aberdonian Stu
12/05/2003, 2:43 PM
And he shouldn't either...I think we're really clutching at straws if we think we can find the answer in house.

SÓC
12/05/2003, 2:49 PM
Ok I know UCD dont have much money, but surely with Clive and Bazza gone there was space in the budget to sign at least one good centre back?

Doolin hopefully will pick up some decent returnees when the English clubs begin their annual cull

@ndy
12/05/2003, 3:05 PM
Originally posted by Aberdonian Stu
No .And he shouldn't either...I think we're really clutching at straws if we think we can find the answer in house.

Just a suggestion.

To be honest Emmet, i think the solution is either going to have to come from in house, or not at all.

I think we were very lucky with Dessie Baker. Lets hope we start banging in goals. It would be nice if the heat could be taken off the backs. At the moment i'm clinging to the hope that Dessie Baker is going to save us. If we play well on Weds and get a win against a Bray side on form, hopefully the confidence will be up and we can go to Drogheda with our heads up. C'mon Dessie the boy!

Schumi
12/05/2003, 4:05 PM
Well Griffin has been $hit up front and $hit in midfield so it's only right that he should get a chance to be $hit in defence as well.

The defence did better on Friday than in any of the previous games, the problem was that they were unable to pass the ball out of defence at all. I thought Donnelly was more composed than against Derry but his distribution was bad.

Andy is right, we need a defender who can head the ball properly. I know we were spoiled with Clive for the past few years but we need someone to take up the responsibility of heading the ball clear because it's going to cost us goals.

What the game really showed up was that we need to pass the ball around rather than hoofing it forward. Expecting Robbie Martin and Sean Finn to get on the end of long balls is daft. The other thing is that we need people to be prepared to take shots from outside the area. McNally has had crackers hit the bar in two games now but still you very rarely see him (or anyone else) have a go from that kind of distance. If nothing else it might get the opposition defence out more and create some space.

@ndy
12/05/2003, 4:26 PM
Originally posted by Schumi
Andy is right, we need a defender who can head the ball properly. I know we were spoiled with Clive for the past few years but we need someone to take up the responsibility of heading the ball clear because it's going to cost us goals. Well, actually, that was Aberdonian's thought...but yes, i do agree. Still, i don't see us signing anyone. I think we have our squad now, and we'll be lucky to get anyone decent.

UCD_4_Life
12/05/2003, 6:17 PM
Originally posted by @ndy

Anyway, it isn't very funny being a ucd fan at the moment. I'm sick of this season already. Also, it's clear to me that the board are happy to let the club remain as is, and not build on local support, contrary to what you might think. I believe that STIG and the fans making noise are 99% responsible for attracting the new fans. Since there have been 5/10 fans there every week wearing jerseys...youngsters have realised it's ok to be a ucd fan. The club have not and with the present set up will never proactively exploit this. I have very good reasons to believe this and it makes me wonder whether i really want to keep following the club. Yeah, so we're building a new stadium...because we have to! If anyone wants to talk to me about this as a concerned ucd fan, pm/email me, as i don't think it should be on a public forum.

Same here.

I look up the road at Drogheda and think "Why aren't we doing things like that?"!

They've signed Beesley (who is apparently very skillful), Jones (who has CL experience and international experience), Bunce (also international exp.), Pat Scully and Neill Tarrant (who is again a quite skilful player, if a little lazy).

They get the same crowds as us and have had more financial problems yet they are the more ambitious club and it's sickening, to be honest.

Unless we get a board that really cares about the club and a lot more fans who do the same we will never progress, in fact they'll only get worse.

I get the impression that we're just "the College team" and the board have no plans to ever try and change that...

pineapple stu
15/05/2003, 7:33 PM
Ah now! Forward to centre-back in five games! He'll be replacing Jennings next!:D

Thought he did very well against Shels when he came on - stabilised the mid and got us playing football. Didn't see the Bray game, so can't comment, but I reckon he'd be wasted at the back.

Donnelly's distribution is woeful at the moment, so we'd be better off with McAuley or McNally in there. Which still doesn't solve the height problem. Did yez see Darragh Ryan's attempted header clear against Shels for the first goal?:( :(

@ndy
16/05/2003, 10:34 AM
Just to clear up, i wasn't really suggesting Griffin play at centre back, i was just wondering, because he is the type of solid all rounder who it would strike me might have played there at a younger age possibly, before finding his favoured spot. Robbie Mac and Tony. Thats who i want in the back 4, with Darragh and Paddy either side.