PDA

View Full Version : Martin Jol

tricky_colour
25/10/2007, 8:35 PM
He's been sacked apparenly.
He could even bring his captain with him.

backstothewall
25/10/2007, 8:36 PM
No thanks.

Richard Dunne as captain is one of the main reasons for getting a new manager imho. I don't think Andy Reid is a big fan either

DmanDmythDledge
25/10/2007, 8:37 PM
Well he's in the dugout at the moment...

I'd say he will be sacked soon though. Don't want him near the Irish job though, unless it's in a coaching role.

pineapple stu
25/10/2007, 8:49 PM
Any link?

micls
25/10/2007, 8:49 PM
Jol wasn't sacked. He offered his resignation before the game and it has been accepted.

Yeah and Stan left by mutual consent.....

He left before being pushed.

shakermaker1982
25/10/2007, 8:50 PM
you couldn't work in those conditions. The board sneaking off behind his back to Spain to offer his job to any man and his dog. I think Jol is somebody we should seriously consider - so long as he doesn't make Keane captain.

co. down green
25/10/2007, 8:51 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/7063013.stm

Donegalcelt
25/10/2007, 9:15 PM
Chris Hughton would make a great number two for us (again)

onceahoop
25/10/2007, 9:24 PM
The timing is surprising, just before an important uefa cup game. Seems a bit soon for the "experts" to have come to a conclusion on our new manager. Having said that, Jol was undermined by his Chairman months ago. Jol must be in the picture now as he's available. Had a couple of good seasonS at Spurs and is apparently highly regarded within the game.

brine3
25/10/2007, 10:27 PM
I'd say it's very likely he's on his way to Ajax.

Armando
25/10/2007, 10:29 PM
Jol is an honourable man. He walks without a penny . . . . .

Come off it!:D ....He'll leave with a wheelbarrow full of cash!

holidaysong
25/10/2007, 10:31 PM
I'd love to see him as our next manager. I think he could do a great job - would agree with Dunne for captain though..

NeilMcD
25/10/2007, 10:51 PM
Yeah he is a top coach and Hughton is good too. I would be happy if they were the next number one and two of Ireland. I think Spurs have acted too hastily. But thats the world we live in now. Oh he was sacked he did not resign.

Philly
25/10/2007, 10:51 PM
Jol wouldn't take it. Would Chris be a possibility? Has an insight into the international game as a player and coach, and has being involved at a high level in England. Better than some of the names being thrown around at the moment!

Armando
25/10/2007, 10:53 PM
No thanks.

Richard Dunne as captain is one of the main reasons for getting a new manager imho. I don't think Andy Reid is a big fan either

Ledley King was his captain at Spurs - Keane is not the regular captain.
I don't think Andy Reid has any problems with Jol. He wanted to keep Reid but couldn't promise him a starting place every week so reluctantly let him leave.

drummerboy
25/10/2007, 10:59 PM
Jol would be a good choice, especially with Hughton. He was totally undermined by the Spurs board. Andy Reid was'nt good enough to make Spurs a top 4 team in England. Robbie probably isn't either.

NeilMcD
25/10/2007, 11:01 PM
One thing is Keanes form for Ireland and another one is Keanes form for Spurs. For all the raving about Berbatov he has been a disgrace this season and Keane has done his best to keep Jol in a job. I thought last season that Keane should have got the plaeyr of the year to be honest. The last place that can be blamed on Spurs not reaching the top four is Robbie Keane.

tricky_colour
26/10/2007, 1:58 AM
I am not sure if Jol would want the job, he may have better options but it is certaintly
good timing so it might suit him for a couple of years or so, after all I am sure he has a good pay
off so I am sure he could take a pay drop for a while, which I am sure would be the case.
We could certainly do a lot worse. He is 28-1 at Paddy Power.
He could hardly do worse than Stan one would imagine so it would boost his image.
Dreary O'Leary or Jolly Yolly? :D

Claret Murph
26/10/2007, 6:26 AM
Yer I would say me has moved up the list alright

Sligo Hornet
26/10/2007, 6:38 AM
Martin and Chris would be ideal for us, but I cannot realistically see Jol taking the job (assuming our "selection team" deem him good enough! ) as there will be many other interested parties at arguably more attractive Clubs in europe

CollegeTillIDie
26/10/2007, 7:32 AM
Robbie Keane... got two managers sacked in the same week :D

Dotsy
26/10/2007, 8:11 AM
According to the Irish Times/Guardian he walks with close to €5.8m in a payoff because he had 2 years to run on his contract. That's serious cash. Could the FAI come close to that.

I think he would be a good choice for us especially with Hughton as his no. 2.

eirebhoy
26/10/2007, 9:04 AM
The FAI could probably give him half what he was on at Spurs plus €1m bonus if he got us to the world cup.

Scram
26/10/2007, 9:13 AM
No thanks.

!!

Yeah, who the captain is has a huge bearing on Stan's firing and on the selcetion of a new manger :rolleyes:

Thebolg
26/10/2007, 9:40 AM
We would be blessed to get Martin Jol and Chris. World class management team. ring any bells?

snowballs chance.

NeilMcD
26/10/2007, 9:41 AM

Eh look at his goal scoring record for Spurs of late and you will clearly see he is least culpable for Jol gettting the sack. Berbatov has been a disgrace this year and so have the back four.

btid1
26/10/2007, 9:43 AM
We would be blessed to get Martin Jol and Chris. World class management team. ring any bells?

snowballs chance.

Agree not going to happen.

1. Wouldnt be interested in managing Ireland
2. Even if he was he would be looking for too much money

FarmHoop
26/10/2007, 9:59 AM
Eh look at his goal scoring record for Spurs of late and you will clearly see he is least culpable for Jol gettting the sack. Berbatov has been a disgrace this year and so have the back four.

Agree about berbatov i thought he was fantastic last year and i think he believed he'd get a move to united or another bigger team, his face on the bench last monday said it all, disinterested and moody ****er

The Swordsman
26/10/2007, 10:37 AM

The guys a fecking jinx:D:D

OwlsFan
26/10/2007, 6:26 PM
Agree not going to happen.

1. Wouldnt be interested in managing Ireland
2. Even if he was he would be looking for too much money

I like Chris Hughton. Did a good interview from his car with Sky.

Right about Jol and the money though. He's getting a severance deal of 5 million sterling apparently. Don't think he'll be interested in the Irish job except as a hobby.

HolylandsMan
26/10/2007, 10:55 PM
Robbie Keane... got two managers sacked in the same week

In fairness to Robbie, I was over in London a couple of weeks ago and the 2 taxi drivers i was speaking to were Spurs fans who couldn't speak highly enough of him. Jol seems to know how to get the best out of him.

To be honest, I think the FAI should be on the phone to Jol as we speak offering him the job and have him in place for Wales if possible. Unlikely I know as he'll head to Ajax but he's the most impressive candidate so far in my opinion.

bennocelt
27/10/2007, 8:49 AM
i think Jol is a joke, a chancer and Chris Hughton had his chance with Kerr

I was right that Spurs would be rubbish this season, not a shock to those that actually watch football
Jol hasnt a clue about tactics, always makes bizarre subsitutions (re Liverpool game last year), and squanders money on overrated players despite having the excellent defoe on the bench

Ah you might mention 2 fifth place finishes..........yeah what about it.....you would expect them to be there with there money, and jeez arsenal did their best to not get 4th place these last two seasons

(by the way i reckon Blackburn and everton are teams that are punching way above their weight, considering their teams)

Typical in ireland...................evrything has got to do with the inflated premeirship

i am quite confident that we wont hear about Jol again, he will go somewhere else and thats him gone (he had his limelight)............def not in any CL games, etc
and i will be only to happy to bring up this post if im wrong!:)

CollegeTillIDie
27/10/2007, 11:24 AM
bennocelt

I'd prefer a non English/Scottish/Welsh or even Irish manager.
I think the Anglo/Scottish centric nature of our football from the start means we concentrate too much on physical preparation and not enough on ball skills. The result of this is that professional players from here earning thousands a week cannot retain possession of the ball when playing for either club or country. I would prefer to see a European influence on the coaching and preparation of the national team at this stage. Italian or Spanish as they know how to defend and stop conceding stupid goals. Step 1 banish John O'Shea to the stands permanently

jmurphyc
27/10/2007, 12:48 PM
Actually Bennocelt, you mention that he squandered money on crap players but I was reading an article a while ago that he doesn't actually buy the players he merely tells the board what positions need to be improved and then the sporting director ir some position like that goes out and buys the players. This summer he supposedly asked for a 4th choice striker and an experienced left winger and got Darren Bent for 16.5 mil and Gareth Bale. I heard from two sources that he personally wanted Martin Petrov for the left wing position.

So all I'm trying to say is that whether you think he underachieved or not,you can't fully blame him for the players that were brought in. I personally think he'd be a good manager for us (though I do think he would probably work best as an assistant manager, which of course he's not going to do for us) but if he came I'd be very surprised, as would most people I assume.

John83
27/10/2007, 1:56 PM
Yes, I've heard many times that Darren Bent was foisted on him. He's a good manager, and I'd be delighted to see him take over here.

John83
27/10/2007, 2:18 PM
What at UCD?!
No, as Dublin GAA manager.

CollegeTillIDie
27/10/2007, 7:13 PM
No, as Dublin GAA manager.

Nice one 83 :D

Ireland4ever
28/10/2007, 12:48 PM
"I am going to have a few weeks off but I would love to stay in English football. I have a house here, my daughter is settled in school and we love it in England."

Quote from Martin Jol....think he would be a great appoinment...Managing Ireland means he would have to spend the majority of his time in England anyways.

GalwayTillIDye
28/10/2007, 6:27 PM
Actually Bennocelt, you mention that he squandered money on crap players but I was reading an article a while ago that he doesn't actually buy the players he merely tells the board what positions need to be improved and then the sporting director ir some position like that goes out and buys the players. This summer he supposedly asked for a 4th choice striker and an experienced left winger and got Darren Bent for 16.5 mil and Gareth Bale. I heard from two sources that he personally wanted Martin Petrov for the left wing position.

So all I'm trying to say is that whether you think he underachieved or not,you can't fully blame him for the players that were brought in. I personally think he'd be a good manager for us (though I do think he would probably work best as an assistant manager, which of course he's not going to do for us) but if he came I'd be very surprised, as would most people I assume.

Yep Damien Comolli (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damien_Comolli) is the man responsible for player recruitment, he is the Director of Football at Spurs (her replaced Frank Arnesen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Arnesen) who fecked off and took the Ruski shilling at Chelski).

Comolli picks Ramos and puts his neck on the line (http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2007/10/27/comolli_picks_ramos_and_puts_h.html)

Stuttgart88
29/10/2007, 8:26 AM
"I am going to have a few weeks off but I would love to stay in English football. I have a house here, my daughter is settled in school and we love it in England."

Quote from Martin Jol....think he would be a great appoinment...Managing Ireland means he would have to spend the majority of his time in England anyways.Yep. I saw that quote yesterday too and thought exactly the same.

I think there are better coaches and managers. He's a tier 2 coach but I think that's probably what we can expect.

jmurphyc
30/10/2007, 3:39 PM
Well Martin Jol wouldn't be managing Ajax until at least next summer according to this article, so that takes him a step closer to taking over us. Still very unlikely to happen IMO though.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/7069316.stm

Stuttgart88
30/10/2007, 4:11 PM
I think we all know about Jol's time at Spurs but I knew little about him before he took the job & I couldn't remember how he got the Spurs job.

Here's what wikipedia says about him:

Jol's coaching career began in the Netherlands in 1991 when he took over at the amateur side ADO Den Haag and took them from the Third Division to the First Division. Jol then moved to Scheveningen for one season where he won the national non-league championship. Jol then spent two years at Roda JC during which time he won the Dutch cup (Roda's first trophy for 30 years). Between 1998 and 2004 Jol managed the Dutch professional team RKC Waalwijk where he saved them from relegation and was honoured as the Dutch Football Writers Coach of the Year in 2001 and Dutch Players and Coaches Coach of the Year in 2002. Manchester United spoke to Jol about becoming their assistant manager in 2003.

RKC Waalwijk denied reports in June 2004 that Jol was about to become assistant manager of Tottenham Hotspur.[3] However, several days later, Jol was given the job under Tottenham's new coach Jacques Santini.[4] When Santini left the job after just over a dozen games Jol was first made caretaker manager and then later confirmed as head coach.[5] In his first season in charge Jol improved their league fortunes and scrapped the defensive nature of play that Santini had instilled. He won the FA Manager of the Month award in December 2004 and was strongly linked in the press with the then vacant managerial job at Ajax of Amsterdam, however Jol ruled out moving clubs early. In August 2005 he signed a new three-year contract with Tottenham.[6] Jol led Tottenham to the verge of European qualification but the season ended with a 9th place finish in the Premier League after a final day draw at home to Blackburn Rovers. This meant Spurs missed out on the UEFA Cup spot by two points.

The 2005-06 season marked an improvement in the league, but there was no Cup success this season with the exception of the pre-season tournament the Peace Cup which featured PSV Eindhoven, Lyon, Boca Juniors and others with Tottenham defeating Lyon in the final. During the season Tottenham never once dropped out of the top 6 places in the league and Jol eventually took Spurs to 5th in the league qualifying them for the UEFA Cup via the league for the first time since the Premier League was formed. However, the season is remembered more for narrowly missing out on a Champions League place on the final day of the season after the team were forced to play despite the majority of the squad suffering from illness.

The 2006-07 season saw Jol end Tottenham's lengthy hoodoo against Chelsea with a win, the first against them since 1990. Although away form was poor in the first half the season, a run of form consisting of just two away losses in the last five months of the season helped Tottenham to a second successive fifth place finish. Tottenham also reached the semi-finals of the League Cup and the quarter-finals of the UEFA Cup and the FA Cup.

eekers
04/11/2007, 4:23 AM
good interview with Jol in the Observer today

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2204892,00.html

Here's the bit on what we might do next.

He also wants to continue managing in England. Jol has already fielded strong interest from a couple of clubs, including PSV Eindhoven, but elected instead to take a family holiday in Brazil. The Dutch federation has expressed an interest and the Football Association could do worse than add him to any shortlist to succeed Steve McClaren.

'International football is great,' says Jol. 'I'm 51, I'm not too young. You tell me I want to be in the Champions League. Of course it's an ambition or to be the champions of England. I still have ambitions in Holland, where I have won every title at all levels apart from the championship. I want to apply my philosophy, because I still feel in England you still play too rigid. I want my team to play and move, exploit the spaces which are created by movement. That's what Arsenal do, what the great Liverpool did and what I always wanted from us.

'I live here. I've been in my house in Essex three-and-a-half years. For me it would be easy to go back to Holland, but what more can you want? A year ago I got offered a job in Holland at a club who get 50,000 a week. That's more than Spurs, but it's not the same. I love the people here because they love their football. They have a crazy love for it but they also have a feeling for justice. Perhaps that's why they chanted my name during the Getafe game. I would work anywhere if the job was right but I love it here.'

Colbert Report
05/11/2007, 12:14 PM
Wigan just gave their manager the sack, surely they have an offer for Jol in mind?

Dr. Ogba
05/11/2007, 1:05 PM
Wigan just gave their manager the sack, surely they have an offer for Jol in mind?

nah hopefully its an offer for Souness instead ;)

paul_oshea
05/11/2007, 1:13 PM

I like yer thinking ;)

We can keep Jol then :D

Sligo Hornet
05/11/2007, 2:05 PM

With David O'Leary as his number two!;)

eekers
23/11/2007, 1:32 AM
appartenly Jol wants to stay in london and is looking to start a new job in december

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_2896195,00.html

eekers
27/11/2007, 10:44 PM
with Pleat on board (possibly) he has to be more of a contender now.
Pleat is a big Jol fan. he came out strongly against the spurs board when he was sacked.
i notice his price has dropped on betfair a lot