PDA

View Full Version : Liam Brady

Pages : [1] 2 3

backstothewall
25/10/2007, 12:47 PM
Is it possible he could get it?? Would he be up to the job. He has been out of the dressing room for a long time, and wasn't very succesful when he was there.

I see him as more suited to the international performance director role. Perhaps bringing obvious skills from the work he does at Arsenal at underage level, and applying them in the kind of role Trevor Brooking has with England.

But i wondered what everyone else thinks of him as manager?? I would prefer him to O'Leary, but i would prefer Bertie Ahern doing the job to O'Leary.

Wolfie
25/10/2007, 12:52 PM
Brady has achieved little or nothing at a Senior Managerial level.

We need somone with experience and a track record of at least some success of note.

Every appointment is a gamble to some degree or another but Brady hasn't got the track record. Respect and talking a good game are not enough.

NeilMcD
25/10/2007, 12:59 PM
He should get the U21 job instead of Givens and be given a youth development role also with the FAI.

jmurphyc
25/10/2007, 1:09 PM
He should get the U21 job instead of Givens and be given a youth development role also with the FAI.

I think Brady should definitely be given some kind of position in the set up other than manager (if he wants it of course). He's clearly very good at working with youngsters. He would be far better suited to the U21 job than Don Givens. But would he be willing to take on that extra workload on top of his Arsenal job? And if he was given a job in the senior set up that may well mean he would have to give up the RTE job. I'm not sure he's do that for a minor position for us. I'd love it if he did though.

drinkfeckarse
25/10/2007, 1:21 PM
I'd be shocked if he got it although as mentioned, I'd like to see him involved with the U21's or the youth set up in some capacity. Fitting everything would be an obvious problem for him.

fitzknows
25/10/2007, 1:40 PM
If Don Givens were to leave the U21 set-up then it would be a travesty if anybody was offered the job ahead of Pete Mahon.

jbyrne
25/10/2007, 3:09 PM
i have always wanted brady to be the man for the job as he seems to know a lot about the game and would understand the irish set-up better than most. also, arsenal seem to rate him very highly. however, just dont feel he would be able to motivate a team too well among other short comings

Thebolg
25/10/2007, 3:47 PM
He said himself last night that they should be looking for someone who has experience at top level or international management which rules him out.

so he basically ruled himself out of contention. i think he would like it but can't see him getting it.

elroy
25/10/2007, 4:15 PM
He said himself last night that they should be looking for someone who has experience at top level or international management which rules him out.

so he basically ruled himself out of contention. i think he would like it but can't see him getting it.

Ya I think thats a fair analysis, he does talk a good game in my opinion but whether he could turn that into good management Im not so sure. Im a bit surprised he's not turned off the job after seeing what has happened to Stan in the last 2 years or so.

Schlooooomp
25/10/2007, 4:54 PM

If he really wants the job then why not get back to managing at a senior level and try to build up a decent level of experience for the next time we we need a new manager.

zenokelly
25/10/2007, 5:18 PM
I think Brady would be a great asset to us if he was in a high position in the FAI

There isn't anyone in that clown association that holds any sort of recognition in football circles. If it was up to me he'd be my first choice for CEO but.......................:(

Schlooooomp
25/10/2007, 5:22 PM
I think Brady would be a great asset to us if he was in a high position in the FAI

There isn't anyone in that clown association that holds any sort of recognition in football circles. If it was up to me he'd be my first choice for CEO but.......................:(

I think that there is a place for Brady in the FAI, probably not as CEO though, it is essentially an administrative position as opposed to a football position. If we had a CEO that was comfortable enough to delegate specific footballing matters to a Director of Football type post then maybe it would be a role for Brady.

youngirish
26/10/2007, 3:03 PM
Brady would be a shocking appointment by the FAI. He proved a disaster for both Celtic and Brighton in his 2 previous outings as a manager.

I'd much rather O'Leary.

jmurphyc
26/10/2007, 3:08 PM
Brady would be a shocking appointment by the FAI. He proved a disaster for both Celtic and Brighton in his 2 previous outings as a manager.

I'd much rather O'Leary.

Yes but they should try to give him a place in the setup if he wants it.

Morbo
28/10/2007, 12:29 PM
Can't see Brady getting it, he even said himself that they should go for someone with a proven track record and that ruled him out but if that wasn't a concern for the FAI then he was available, which isn't exactly selling yourself

KianD
28/10/2007, 1:14 PM

I'd much rather O'Leary.

You have to be oblivious to the circumstances at Brighton to refer to his time there as a "disaster". Club was being asset stripped, Brady resigned due to what could be euphemistically called 'differences' with the asset-stripping chairman, then attempted to buy the club. After he left, the replacement manager (Jimmy Case) got even poorer results out of the decimated squad Brady had had to work with, and the club ended up staying in the league on goal difference - and even then only after Case was shipped out too.

Ash
28/10/2007, 5:48 PM
If he really wants the job then why not get back to managing at a senior level and try to build up a decent level of experience for the next time we we need a new manager.

... or at least put out a few water bottles and cones for Walsall

Tipp Townie
29/10/2007, 1:48 PM
You have to be oblivious to the circumstances at Brighton to refer to his time there as a "disaster". Club was being asset stripped, Brady resigned due to what could be euphemistically called 'differences' with the asset-stripping chairman, then attempted to buy the club. After he left, the replacement manager (Jimmy Case) got even poorer results out of the decimated squad Brady had had to work with, and the club ended up staying in the league on goal difference - and even then only after Case was shipped out too.

Well in Kian mate. I'm a Brighton fan and can categorically state that Brady was not a 'disaster'. He had an impossible job at the Goldstone, made a decent fist of it, more so in the earlier part of his time. Can't blame Youngirish too much for saying so though; its a common misconception, unfortunately.

However i really hope Brady doesn't get the Ireland job. He's a hero of mine (mainly for his hard work in getting a regime change at Brighton after he resigned). We (Brighton) played some brilliant attacking stuff when he came on board, but the same old defensive frailties remained. In my opinion he's nowhere near qualified/experienced enough for what we (Ireland) need at the moment.

And Elroy, i used to think he talked a good game aswell, but at half-time v Cyprus he reckoned that O'Shea should have been starting at centre-mid. I lost a little faith after that!:o

youngirish
29/10/2007, 1:58 PM
Well in Kian mate. I'm a Brighton fan and can categorically state that Brady was not a 'disaster'. He had an impossible job at the Goldstone, made a decent fist of it, more so in the earlier part of his time. Can't blame Youngirish too much for saying so though; its a common misconception, unfortunately.

I've lived in Hove for 4 years and many of my friends are Brighton supporters and they all categorically agree that he was a terrible manager so to state I'm misinformed of the financial problems at the club during his tenure is way off the mark (I live across the road from where the Goldstone Ground used to be and frequently visit the shopping estate that has replaced it). To state that Brady made a decent fist of anything at Brighton is delusional in the extreme. They went from a mid table Division 2 team to a bottom of the table Division 3 team during his time in charge.

Any Brighton and Hove fans I know are amazed that he's being considered for the Ireland job. His record in management is abyssmal.

Tipp Townie
29/10/2007, 3:04 PM
I've lived in Hove for 4 years and many of my friends are Brighton supporters and they all categorically agree that he was a terrible manager so to state I'm misinformed of the financial problems at the club during his tenure is way off the mark (I live across the road from where the Goldstone Ground used to be and frequently visit the shopping estate that has replaced it). To state that Brady made a decent fist of anything at Brighton is delusional in the extreme. They went from a mid table Division 2 team to a bottom of the table Division 3 team durign his time in charge.

Any Brighton and Hove fans I know are amazed that he's being considered for the Ireland job. His record in management is abyssmal.

I appreciate that you are familar with Brighton then, but not familar enough to know that when Brady resigned it was Autumn 1995 and we were actually still in Division 2. Jimmy Case had been manager for 7 months by the time we got relegated to Division 3, and was sacked approx 5 months later with us bottom of Div 3.

And when Brady took over, we weren't a mid-table side either. We'd had a terrible start to the season and were in the relegation scramble. Brady sorted us out and got us clear

Alot of fellow fans believe that he could have done a great job given the right circumstances. But we'll never know if Brady would have made a good Brighton manager as his efforts were scuppered by the politics of the time. In the time he was with us he wasnt amazing, but he wasnt awful either.

KianD
29/10/2007, 6:01 PM

...except the two posting on here, obviously (me and TT). Although TT did mean to say 1995 in that posting. Brady is second only to Coppell in having rescued the teams league position from entirely untenable to (nearly) secure at the time - he took over a Barry Lloyd side that were floundering, started losing key parts of it (one notable instance of a player being sold at the behest of the Inland Revenue) and kept it steady in Division 2. Then Case comes in and the club go down...

Oh, and us B&HAFC fans aren't gonna be impressed with tales of shopping in the Goldstone Retail Park :p (many people still refuse to go near it)

eirebhoy
29/10/2007, 7:03 PM
Wenger

'He has not asked me a question about taking the job, but I think Liam would make a good Ireland manager. I like to speak with Liam about football because he has a good assessment of players and a very fair one. He doesn't get carried away with his ideas and his philosophy on the game is very similar to mine.

'Liam has started to produce quality players who are ready for the first team and it would be a bad moment for him to leave Arsenal. In addition, it's good to have the stability of him being here for a long time, so I hope it doesn't come to an end now.

'We have had to show some patience with the young players who have always offered great potential and now we are getting the rewards. Everyone involved in the youth development at the club deserve credit for the progress we have made.

'With this in mind, I would view his departure as a big loss to Arsenal. I'm not sure when Ireland plan to make their appointment, but I hope it's not Liam.'

Paddy Garcia
29/10/2007, 7:37 PM
I live across the road from where the Goldstone Ground used to be and frequently visit the shopping estate that has replaced it

POTM

Stuttgart88
30/10/2007, 9:37 AM
I can't comment on Brighton, but while Brady's record at a near bankrupt Celtic wasn't good and his transfers were very questionable (Slater, Biggins...) I thought they were well coached and played extremely attractive passing football. He certainly made a mark with the players. I think if he had even half of Rangers' resources at the time he'd have been remembered in a far better light.

Tipp Townie
30/10/2007, 10:46 AM
Although TT did mean to say 1995 in that posting.

Dammit! :o

SuperDave
30/10/2007, 4:40 PM
I can't comment on Brighton, but while Brady's record at a near bankrupt Celtic wasn't good and his transfers were very questionable (Slater, Biggins...) I thought they were well coached and played extremely attractive passing football. He certainly made a mark with the players. I think if he had even half of Rangers' resources at the time he'd have been remembered in a far better light.

yeah, but he did sign tony casc o'rino.

eekers
24/11/2007, 5:13 PM
looks like he's out of the running now he has this other gig (http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1124/bradys.html) :)

CollegeTillIDie
25/11/2007, 9:52 AM
yeah, but he did sign tony casc o'rino.

Anto never let Ireland down folks !

Noelys Guitar
27/11/2007, 6:07 PM
Brady was very cagey there with his answers about being offered the job on Todayfm. Would not answer the queston.

geysir
27/11/2007, 6:40 PM
He changed from Cagey to Stonewall.
He was on a phone link to RTE sports at 18.30 and he was asked about the Irish job, he said no he is not answering any questions about that and said that they were calling him to the commentary box and he had to go.

Noelys Guitar
27/11/2007, 6:54 PM
Brady has looked at the 3 man panel and fancies his chances. They all know Brady. Howe was his coach for many years.

eekers
27/11/2007, 8:03 PM
Liam Brady was a loyal, honest servant to Ireland for many years. Terry Venables is a spiv, a spoofer and a greedy yesterday's man. Give me Brady any day of the week.

add to that the fact venables cant have seen an ireland game in the last year in a half unless he was watching them whilst england were playing. The one thing Brady has for him is that he very familiar with the team, the players and how we've been playing recently.

eekers
27/11/2007, 8:15 PM
And he's not a robbing spiv.

we should do a list of things he stole

1. the dancefloor out of the Bill Nicholson suite at Tottenham - he put it in his nightclub

stojkovic
27/11/2007, 9:19 PM
ask Alan Sugar.

Now there's an idea, Tuff.

A ten week elimination programme to decide who gets the Ireland job, with Mr Sugar deciding the outcome.

Tubridy, Twink, Jake Stevens and Louis Walsh on the committee with Sugar and Keith Duffy as the man on the street. Are ya nervous ?

Get it sorted Tuff my man.

SuperDave
27/11/2007, 9:59 PM
add to that the fact venables cant have seen an ireland game in the last year in a half unless he was watching them whilst england were playing. The one thing Brady has for him is that he very familiar with the team, the players and how we've been playing recently.

the same could be said of virtually any of the candidates linked with us. hodgson? houllier? they would be judged on how they got to know the players.

Stuttgart88
04/12/2007, 3:16 PM
Quinn backs Brady for top job

December 4, 2007

Sunderland chairman Niall Quinn has backed former Arsenal and Ireland teammate Liam Brady to land the vacant Irish manager’s job.

Brady is seen as a close second-favourite behind Terry Venables to succeed Steve Staunton in the top job in Irish football.

And Quinn feels old club and country colleague Brady would be an excellent choice for the FAI, with his experience of improving younger players of particular relevance given Ireland’s current crop of promising but unproven tyros.

He told RTE Radio: “The Ireland job is a big job and the country has had years of success. There’s a lot of young players waiting to burst into the scene and emulate the team of 20 years ago.

“The secret to Ireland doing well is to get someone who can work with the young lads, help them make the step-up from having a few caps to actually going and achieving. I think 20 players were capped in the last year or two, so those guys have to be brought on.

“The person that springs to my mind is Liam Brady, he’s one that all the players have serious respect for. People question his record at Celtic but it was at a time when Rangers decided to go mad and spend millions upon millions, and it was hard for him to do that.

“He’s learned so much at Arsenal under Arsene Wenger, he’s brilliant with young people and he might just suit.”

They certainly weren't Arsenal teammates as the article suggests and any Ireland overlap was minimal.

OwlsFan
04/12/2007, 3:29 PM
Do we really want a failed manager who has not managed for many years? I can't believe this Brady stuff. To me he is a few rungs up the ladder from Stan, with Stan two steps from the bottom rung (only because Robson was holding him up from the bottom).

Deckydee
04/12/2007, 3:32 PM
If Lady Brady gets the job, its off the Clifts of Moher with me. (Would be jumping as opposed to visiting)

Stuttgart88
04/12/2007, 3:34 PM
Do we really want a failed manager who has not managed for many years? I can't believe this {insert name] stuff. To me he is a few rungs up the ladder from Stan, with Stan two steps from the bottom rung (only because Robson was holding him up from the bottom).

Choose name from:

Venables
Brady
Kendall

Just from today's musings alone!

RogerMilla
04/12/2007, 3:47 PM
Choose name from:

Venables
Brady
Kendall

Just from today's musings alone!

it's inconceivable that brady will be selected, El Tel will impress the panel with his patented bluster.

Stuttgart88
07/12/2007, 12:39 PM
This is the last line in Brady's Wikipedia entry:

In 2007 Brady was linked to the Republic of Ireland manager's job after the sacking of Steve Staunton. However, Brady denied he was applying for the job and though he said he would discuss it if approached, he felt he was not the best candidate for the role. On 5th December 2007 however, Brady overtook Terry Venables as the favourite for the job. Bookies across the United Kingdom and Ireland have stopped taking bets on the former Juventus man.

citizenerased
07/12/2007, 12:44 PM
[QUOTE=Stuttgart88;831989]Quinn backs Brady for top job

December 4, 2007

[I]Sunderland chairman Niall Quinn has backed former Arsenal and Ireland teammate Liam Brady to land the vacant Irish manager’s job.

Brady is seen as a close second-favourite behind Terry Venables to succeed Steve Staunton in the top job in Irish football.

And Quinn feels old club and country colleague Brady would be an excellent choice for the FAI, with his experience of improving younger players of particular relevance given Ireland’s current crop of promising but unproven tyros.

He told RTE Radio: “The Ireland job is a big job and the country has had years of success. There’s a lot of young players waiting to burst into the scene and emulate the team of 20 years ago.

“The secret to Ireland doing well is to get someone who can work with the young lads, help them make the step-up from having a few caps to actually going and achieving.

“The person that springs to my mind is Liam Brady, he’s one that all the players have serious respect for. People question his record at Celtic but it/QUOTE]

Quinn is full of crap...didnt we try this with brian kerr...he wouldnt get the respect of the players at all!!

Paulie
07/12/2007, 12:48 PM
[QUOTE=Stuttgart88;831989][B]
he wouldnt get the respect of the players at all!!

While he would not be my first choice as our new manager that statement is nonsense.

citizenerased
07/12/2007, 12:51 PM
no way..his reputation as a player will mean nothing to the new players, plus he is droel enough..couldnt imagine him motivating anyone....I will be distraught if he gets it..ffs

geysir
07/12/2007, 12:53 PM
It's also nonsense about the Wikipedia info that Bookies have stopped taking bets on Liam.

gspain
07/12/2007, 12:56 PM
According to today's Indo he became favourite for a while yesterday.

Suddenly Tel boy is starting to look attractive as is Roddy Collins. Brady was a great player but he failed miserably and totally as a manager twice.

Maybe this is just a silly game with terrible candidates being put forward so there will be a sigh of relief when somebody halfway capable gets the job.

Stuttgart88
07/12/2007, 12:59 PM
Niall Quinn: "The secret to Ireland doing well is to get someone who can work with the young lads, help them make the step-up from having a few caps to actually going and achieving."

Is this true?

The core of the squad as far as I'm concerned should include experienced players like:

Given
Finnan
Dunne,
O'Brien
Keane
Doyle
Hunt
Duff
A. Reid
S. Reid
O'Shea
Kilbane
Lee
Morrisson

Of the "youth" only Stephen Ireland, Aiden McGeady and McShane are likely starters in my opinion.

Long & Stokes have some way to go yet and in hindsight should probably have been in the U21s all last year. Garvan, O'Toole and maybe McCann should be integrated, maybe also Keogh.

Other players that I feel should figure in some way include Michael Doyle, Jay Tabb and Mark Yeates. Doyle is 26 or thereabouts now I reckon and the other two are overage for the U21s.

Wolfie
07/12/2007, 1:02 PM
While every appointment has an element of a gamble involved - Brady would be a big gamble.

Brady has my utmost respect as a talented former player. A genuine great talent.

He's not the answer for us as a manager.

The bottom line is that he has limited Managerial experience and has achieved nothing at Managerial level.

The bookies have done the obvious and identified the link that Brady has to all members of the selection panel.

Paulie
no way..his reputation as a player will mean nothing to the new players, plus he is droel enough..couldnt imagine him motivating anyone....I will be distraught if he gets it..ffs

He was one of our best ever players. If they don't give some respect, at least at the beginning, as a result of that then there is something seriously wrong. I would like to say again though, he would not be my first choice for the job. As has been pointed out, his managerial record is pretty poor to say the least.

citizenerased
doyle is only 24 max..i think