PDA

View Full Version : Some thoughts on admission fees

el punter
25/10/2007, 9:03 AM
Yesterday Navan racecourse opened their gates to the public for free - apparently a bookie picked up the tab. Usual admission is Eur15.

I have been to the last two meetings at Navan, yesterday's freebie and the one before that where I paid my Eur15 in.

There was - I estimate - only about 10% more people there yesterday than at the previous paying meeting. There was little difference in the quality of the racing etc.

There's perhaps a case for concluding that the admission fee has little bearing on the attendance of a sports event here - the people who want to go will go regardless of entry fee (within reason of course).

It's maybe just food for thought for clubs who are thinking of tinkering with their admission fees next season, dropping prices is unlikely to increase attendances in itself.

OneRedArmy
25/10/2007, 9:05 AM
Bear in mind most attenders at race courses also gamble, therefore the entrance fee is only a percentage of their spend. Not really the case for footy, where a programme and a burger are the only other things you can really buy.

superfrank
25/10/2007, 9:06 AM
Chelsea dropped their price for the Schalke match last night and 15k extra turned up. It does work.

monutdfc
25/10/2007, 9:10 AM
I was at Mallow races on Saturday and was amazed it was €18 in; don't they get enough on the tote and overpriced food and drink?

Dodge
25/10/2007, 9:49 AM
Our crowds are up on last year, despite the decent sized hike in prices. Would they be higher with lower prices? Probably but its not the overriding factor.

endabob1
25/10/2007, 10:08 AM
Running the odd "quid for a kid" or everyone in for a fiver type promotions are a worthwhile way of getting fronge fans to come along, the idea being that once bitten they will come more often. It's widely used in the UK especially in the lower leagues but more and more in the top flight as prices and quantity/quality issues drive fans away, a prime example is the Chelsea Schalke example from Superfrank above

BohDiddley
25/10/2007, 10:13 AM
Chelsea dropped their price for the Schalke match last night and 15k extra turned up. It does work.
Chelsea's is a multiple of eL admission in the first place, so the comparison doesn't hold. If we can't persuade people to attend a two-hour live event for €15 for an adult or a fiver for a child, then there is something wrong other than price.

Macy
25/10/2007, 10:16 AM
Straight up admission prices have little impact imo on the lad going the match and having a few pints. However, they do have an impact on the family supporter. Can get steep with a full price adult and 2 full price child tickets, plus drinks, sweets, burgers etc. Unfortunately, the kids free/ reduced is often abused by parents just dumping their kids at the gate as rules such as "with a paying adult" are not properly enforced.

Dodge
25/10/2007, 10:43 AM
They definitely are at Pats. Its €10 for kids if an adult doesn't buy it. €5 if they do, and in fairness they strictly enforce it.

They also have deals on various adult + kids deals.

Not saying our prices are acceptable, i'm just pointing out they realise its expensive for families.

Ash
25/10/2007, 10:51 AM
Athlone increased from €10 to €15 for Adults and €5 to €7.50 for kids.
Looks to have lowered crowds, especially families ... which shot themselves
in the foot as they were aiming at making the new stadium a family friendly
place.

galwayhoop
25/10/2007, 11:01 AM
place.

the increase in adult prices shouldn't cause a problem but (accompanied) kids should be encouraged to go, and go cheap. €5 max for those u12 and maybe €10 max for u16.

i went to terryland with my dad as a youngster, and later with my friends and upon moving home a few years ago i was straight back up. it's where you learn it first. if lads (and girls) don't go to eL games when they are young then they are extremely unlikely to go when they are in their 20's or 30's. i'm not talking about the teenagers who go up and act the eegit for 2 hours but those who go and watch the football and support their team.

Ceirtlis
25/10/2007, 11:20 AM
Chelsea's is a multiple of eL admission in the first place, so the comparison doesn't hold. If we can't persuade people to attend a two-hour live event for €15 for an adult or a fiver for a child, then there is something wrong other than price.

Absolutely correct.

JC_GUFC
25/10/2007, 11:32 AM
place.

It's probably arguable that winning 1 game of your last 33 may have had a negative impact on attendances.
Then again your fans are probably used to that from the last few season! ;) :p

J

Ash
25/10/2007, 12:36 PM
It's probably arguable that winning 1 game of your last 33 may have had a negative impact on attendances.
Then again your fans are probably used to that from the last few season! ;) :p

J

Exactly, anyone who claims its the rubbish football and results that are
making the crowd lower obivously hasnt been to many of our games over
the past few years!

pete
25/10/2007, 1:21 PM
I would guess you could not pay some people to attend certain eLOi games & while I am not familiar with Navan Race course in October sounds like similar category.

KianD
25/10/2007, 1:50 PM
I personally don't even think of the admission price usually - I'm going to spend more on fuel getting my arse there/back in the first place, unless its Station Road or Dalymount. I don't think we're like the English in the level of whinging about it - at my English club (ssh, I'm not on here long enough to know if its taboo to mention that :p), a 2.50 hike in price can knock 600 off the gate this/last season.

osarusan
25/10/2007, 2:35 PM
How much is admission on average?

I can see Yokohama Marinos play Urawa Reds (2 of the best teams in Japan, 4/5 current internationals playing) in the World Cup final stadium for 14 euros (cheapest seats).

Dodge
25/10/2007, 2:44 PM
Prices range from €10-€12 for most first division clubs to €12 for stand and €15 for seat in most premier division grounds. Pats and Drogheda charge €20 for seat (Pats give you "free" programme).

Its the same (roughly) as GAA league games or Magners League rugby

monutdfc
25/10/2007, 2:46 PM

Generally €10 for an adult First Division though some clubs are €15 for their stands.
Not sure about Premier as I only get to Bohs these days, it's €15 there.

osarusan
25/10/2007, 2:49 PM
Prices range from €10-€12 for most first division clubs to €12 for stand and €15 for seat in most premier division grounds. Pats and Drogheda charge €20 for seat (Pats give you "free" programme).

Its the same (roughly) as GAA league games or Magners League rugby

Generally €10 for an adult First Division though some clubs are €15 for their stands.
Not sure about Premier as I only get to Bohs these days, it's €15 there.

Fair enough, its cheaper than I thought. 15 euros was the figure mentioned, but the top range, i see.

CollegeTillIDie
25/10/2007, 8:15 PM
Eircom League of Ireland football given you have 2 hours in the venue is good value as any other night out and better than some.
The occasional wit of some of the supporters can be worth the admission on it's own. A lot of the teams are supplying a good read in the form of match programmes and one or two places even have half decent food on offer at their grounds. It's on a par with things like theatre and cinema in terms of cost and it's in the fresh air into the bargain .

billybunter
26/10/2007, 2:25 AM
i never had a problem dropping an admission fee at the gate. I see it more as a contribution to the club - (a show of support) and not paying for and expecting a service in return. sometimes I got great bang for my buck, sometimes its a nil-all borefest,but its still supporting local football. same goes for buying raffle tickets, food and drinks etc at the game - you know the proceeds are helping the club.

KevB76
26/10/2007, 5:54 PM
€10 is a fair price for a 1st div match, I would not be in favour of lowering the price, even for a one-off promotion. I wouldn't like to see the fee increased either, although I would still pay no-matter, as billybunter said its more about supporting your club than paying for a service.

L37 dont charge U12's which makes a lot of sense because the cost doesnt become a factor for supporters with kids, and in the long-term a few of them will develop an interest and become paying supporters. When your gates are well below capacity theres no issue with kids taking up places of paying punters.

There should be more emphasis on selling reasonably priced season tickets, on the one hand you are committing to a financial contribution to your club even if you cant get to games, on the other hand if you have paid for a season ticket you are more likely to actually go to more games.

CollegeTillIDie
26/10/2007, 6:01 PM
Season tickets at reasonable prices are a good selling factor. They should be priced at a level less than a Satellite TV package to watch cross channel tack.

Bomb Landsdowne
26/10/2007, 8:25 PM
If i were in charge i would let all under 18s in for free. Its a simple investment for the future. Its better to have 2000 paying punters and 1000 non paying than simply the 2000. The 1000 who get in for free may buy programmes/ hot dogs and so on. An extra 1000 in the ground will also improve the atmosphere which many fans may come back for as it improved their enjoyment of the game.

Word would spread throughout the youth of the area and before you know it there could be 5 or 6000 at the games. Within a few years they will be paying customers and a large fanbase would be born.

WSTigers
26/10/2007, 8:46 PM
I completely agree. Its all about getting butts in seats, even if it was for free. They'll buy a burger, maybe a shirt, help create an atmosphere for the rest of the paying punters and will eventually be paying punters themselves. The clubs need to make the investement in themselves.

Overall I think 15 euros is steep for what's on offer. Most hardcore fans will pay it regardless and don't see it as a purchase of entertainment but the casual punter does.

Lastnight I went to see the Chicago Fire in a playoff game against DC United for $25, about 17 euros. Class stadium, great atmosphere and far superior product on the field. It was a good deal. EL games unfortunately are still not for the majority.

Bomb Landsdowne
26/10/2007, 9:24 PM
While on a ryanair flight recently i had an idea regarding el promotion. If you get the bums on the seats ie letting them in for next to nothing, and then try and get the money off them in other ways such as raffle tickets, pints in the bar, burgers jerseys and so on . Have advertisments in the media advertising free entry 1 euro entry or whatever. People love free stuff then lure them in and hopefully if the team put on a good show they will come back again.

If 5000 fans get in for free:
of them
1000 raffle tickets sold at 3euros each= 3k
1000 pints in the bar at 1euro profit per pint= 1k
1000 burgers/hot dogs again at 1euro profit=1k
2500 programes sold at 3euro= 7.5k
= 12.5k
Plus increased merchandise sold/ advertisment revenue due to more people being in the ground and so on. Better atmosphere and so on.

opposed to 1250 fans
at on average 10euro entry
=12.5k
**** atmosphere

Maybe 1euro entry or something like that. Basically the ryanair model only for football.

DmanDmythDledge
27/10/2007, 12:27 AM
If i were in charge i would let all under 18s in for free. Its a simple investment for the future.
I don't think it would be. Sure you'll get a load more young people going but it won't be for the football. They'll just have a place to meet up away from the Gardaí to have a few cans. Some clubs wouldn't be able to afford letting U-18s in for free either.

Dodge
30/10/2007, 9:39 AM
An extra 1000 in the ground will also improve the atmosphere which many fans may come back for as it improved their enjoyment of the game

Its a security nightmare though