PDA

View Full Version : Phillippe Troussier

citizenerased
24/10/2007, 4:28 PM
Former Japan and South Africa coach Philippe Troussier has said that he is interested in succeeding Steve Staunton as Republic of Ireland manager.

The Football Association of Ireland terminated Staunton's contract on Tuesday and David O'Leary is the early bookies favourite for the job.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/7060450.stm

Ireland4ever
24/10/2007, 4:33 PM
Wouldnt want him near the set up...Japan were very disappointing at the world cup, even playing at home they looked poor....I dont think he would have the respect of the players, and also him living in morocco would surely cause poblems.

citizenerased
24/10/2007, 4:35 PM
nah he would still attend more matches than stan did in the premiership...id give it to him over two-bit yellow pack coaches like Atkinson, Aldridge and O'Leary

paul_oshea
24/10/2007, 5:18 PM
It's not a problem to live in Morocco or Paris or London. Ireland's an international country and it's not difficult to move around."

what the hell does that mean?

dodgycanadian
24/10/2007, 5:24 PM
ireland is an international country ? think most countries are international

Ceirtlis
24/10/2007, 5:27 PM
Not sure he is what we want. This must be the second or third time he has been in the frame for the ireland job.

ruben_sosa
24/10/2007, 6:02 PM
Not sure he is what we want. This must be the second or third time he has been in the frame for the ireland job.

so having a positive and long-standing interest in managing Ireland for more than financial reasons is bad because......... ?

ruben_sosa
24/10/2007, 6:08 PM
Wouldnt want him near the set up...Japan were very disappointing at the world cup, even playing at home they looked poor....I dont think he would have the respect of the players, and also him living in morocco would surely cause poblems.

Winners of 2000 Asian Cup
Runners up 2001 Confederations Cup
last 16 at the 2002 World Cup.
fifth place at 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney
runner-up at 1999 FIFA World Youth Championship

do u have a f*ckin clue what you're talking about? what did football minnows Japan ever achieve before he took charge.

shakermaker1982
24/10/2007, 6:15 PM
I don't like the idea of him continuing to live in Morocco. He doesn't have to live in Dublin but it would help if he wasn't 4/5 hours away. He might say the FAI will just send him loads of tapes to watch but what if they send him the wrong ones and he thinks Franck Nouble (see bungles thread on him) is actually Irish?? :)

Lionel Ritchie
24/10/2007, 6:25 PM
...then give it to him.

I'm very keen to test some of our senior players hypothesis that a "foreign" manager wouldn't "understand the Irish mentality". I have my own understanding of what that actually means when I read between the lines. Brian Kerr apparently didn't understand that same Irish mentality of a few of them in his time either and it didn't endear him to them when they were told they could cancel the cabs because they were going nowhere.

liaml
24/10/2007, 6:34 PM
I've never been so positive about finding a new manager. Every _single_ candidate that's been mentioned so far has been better than Stan by a country mile! Even wrecker Souness is better than Stan, and that's saying something. Toussier is far and away the best candidate so far. In fact I'd love us to move early on this one.

biscuit
24/10/2007, 6:38 PM
is he not after going and converting to islam and gone all holy on us?sure i read that somewhere!

NeilMcD
24/10/2007, 6:39 PM
How is Troussier better than Hodgson and Beenhakker by far.

shakermaker1982
24/10/2007, 6:41 PM
is he a disciplinarian or more a softly softly type of manager? I cannot recall anything about him on the touchlines or being interviewed so am not sure what his character and personality is like. Would he put an arm around S Ireland or rip his wig off if he tried any grannygate shenanigans??!!

I wouldn't mind a foreign manager coming in truth be told, it could be the breath of fresh air we need. He has a good record and seems to have managed nearly everywhere.

backstothewall
24/10/2007, 6:43 PM
Don't fancy a continental to be honest. The players are all based in England. The FAI will never give him the kind of freedom of structures in the country. I don't see what is to be gained from a continental who won't know the players as well as a British based manager

NeilMcD
24/10/2007, 6:46 PM
Yeah but he will know the players that wer are playing against and the systems that are used in Europe and how to go and play against these teams. I am sure they will know the players once they start looking at games week in week out and then working with them. As Long as they know football they will pick up the knowledge of the players. Stan knew the players personally and look where that got us. I am sure Beenhakker did not know the Polish players much or the Triindad and Tobabo players. I am sure Rehegal did not know the Greek players and I am sure that Hodgson did not know much about the Finnish players before getting the job.

My reluctance of Troussier would be based on his lack of work at international level in Europe and his practical knowledge of what it takes to qualify with a mid ranking team from European qualification grroups.

backstothewall
24/10/2007, 6:49 PM
Point taken

Based on that Hodgson is ideal as he ticks all boxes. Would still prefer Jewell though. Maybe thats because he strikes me as closer to the Big Jack model, and maybe thats part of the problem with football in the country, but i'm only human

NeilMcD
24/10/2007, 6:52 PM
On another note, your username does really only have a short lifespan. Bit of a bummer that you cant change it. Thats unless we get Richard Money as our next manager.

Newryrep
24/10/2007, 7:03 PM
Put him on a definite short list for interview

ruben_sosa
24/10/2007, 8:33 PM
Don't fancy a continental to be honest. The players are all based in England. The FAI will never give him the kind of freedom of structures in the country. I don't see what is to be gained from a continental who won't know the players as well as a British based manager

"a continental" ? he's french, he's not a tyre. So what if the players are based in England, does that mean we have to stick to ultra-successful English managers with their modern tactics and methods that have won countless champions leagues and world cups against their French, German, Spanish and Italian counterparts ?! :rolleyes: With that kinda attitute Arsenal would still have George Graham in charge, plus Troussier has managed African teams whose players are spread all over europe, having all our players based in one country would be a novelty to him.

geysir
24/10/2007, 9:14 PM
Troussier had his 15 mins with Japan and Japan have done all right without him.
Philippe has been on the move constantly from one mucked up manager job to another since.
But I have softened up a bit towards him if only because he would have done infinitely better than Stan.
Troussier "just call me pants".

onephillyhughes
24/10/2007, 10:14 PM
I've never been so positive about finding a new manager. Every _single_ candidate that's been mentioned so far has been better than Stan by a country mile! Even wrecker Souness is better than Stan, and that's saying something. Toussier is far and away the best candidate so far. In fact I'd love us to move early on this one.

Its not about getting 'better than stan' this time, its about getting the best we can. How can Souness excite anyone is beyond me, regardless of how poor Stan did. Cancer Souness can stay miles away from it, Troussier would be another risk coming into the unknown, but maybe this is what we need, someone and something completely different, a breath of fresh air.

onephillyhughes
24/10/2007, 10:23 PM
A quote from Graeme Sourness in 2005

And Souness, who claims to understand the fans' growing frustration, remains as focused on turning things around as he was when he took over the reins from Sir Bobby Robson in September last year.

"This is not an impossible job and as a manager this will be my last job," said Souness.

PLEASE KEEP YOUR WORD!!

CollegeTillIDie
24/10/2007, 10:36 PM
I hear Troussier will make the players face towards Mecca before games. And I don't mean the bingo hall!!

Given how sh1t the Irish team were in some of the games during the last campaign, he's going to need God, Muhammad, Yahweh and Buddah combined to turn things around.:cool:

Marco
24/10/2007, 10:37 PM
What about Spurs soon to be unemployed manager Martin Jol or Gerard Houillier, O'Leary has been out too long, Souness is no better and neither have done anything worthwhile, Jol has players that won't work for him and think they are bigger the team. Just a thought. By the way some of the Irsh players need to wake up and take account for their performances. Saw Stevie Ireland all smiles during a game with Man City recently! ya stressed at 25k a week playing with a :ball:

eirebhoy
24/10/2007, 10:46 PM
To be honest, it's the fact that he didn't recognise how talented Nakamura was that has me worried about Troussier. :) I'm being 100% serious btw. I'd put it on par with someone taking charge of Ireland and not picking Andy Reid for the entire campaign.

CollegeTillIDie
24/10/2007, 10:54 PM
One problem with Martin Jol.
Robbie Keane was working with him at Spurs. And Keane hasn't been doing the biz in a green shirt since about 2002.
Or maybe that's a good thing in that Keane is scoring goals for them. But Keane would then have the unique distinction of assisting two coaches to their P45 in a few weeks, albeit finding one of them their next job.....

osarusan
25/10/2007, 1:33 AM
runner-up at 1999 FIFA World Youth Championship

do u have a f*ckin clue what you're talking about? what did football minnows Japan ever achieve before he took charge.

Do you have a "f*ckin clue" what you're talking about?

last 16 in the 2002 world cup, as co-hosts, with as much cash as he needed to prepare for it, is by no means a good result.

fifth place at 2000 summer olympics in Sydney? So bloody what!

What did they ever achieve while he was in charge for that matter.

CollegeTillIDie
25/10/2007, 7:28 AM
Any of these suggestions is still better than Stan and a lot closer to being a world class manager.

reder
25/10/2007, 8:07 AM
is he not after going and converting to islam and gone all holy on us?

Correct (http://www.islamonline.net/english/journey/2006/04/jour02.shtml)

I would like to see Troussier getting the job but dont see it happening in truth. I would actually like to see Paul Jewell getting the job. He handles the media very well and take no sh1t from players. He is honest and upfront.

Ireland4ever
25/10/2007, 8:16 AM
runner-up at 1999 FIFA World Youth Championshipdo u have a f*ckin clue what you're talking about? what did football minnows Japan ever achieve before he took charge.

The best achievement there is last 16 at WC2002, they were hosting the event and were first seeds ffs.

shelbourne1904
25/10/2007, 8:20 AM
Given how sh1t the Irish team were in some of the games during the last campaign, he's going to need God, Muhammad, Yahweh and Buddah combined to turn things around.:cool:

But do any of them have Irish grandparents

elroy
25/10/2007, 8:29 AM
Im not certain about Troussier, but I wouldnt mind seeing a European manager with fresh ideas appointed. Neither England, Wales or NI, or us are doing well at the moment and all with managers and ideas from the UK/Ireland. Whats the harm in bringing in someone with a different mentality, tactics etc. The Irish born/based manager hasnt worked the last four years so its gotta be worth a try.

antrimgreen
25/10/2007, 8:30 AM
But do any of them have Irish grandparents

Classic :D

Ireland4ever
25/10/2007, 8:39 AM
Im not certain about Troussier, but I wouldnt mind seeing a European manager with fresh ideas appointed. Neither England, Wales or NI, or us are doing well at the moment and all with managers and ideas from the UK/Ireland. Whats the harm in bringing in someone with a different mentality, tactics etc. The Irish born/based manager hasnt worked the last four years so its gotta be worth a try.

Alex McLeish & Walter Smith???? Lawrie Sanchez at N.ireland???
Thats the great thing about football, totally unpredictable. Dunphy summed it up last night on TV when oHerlihy asked him was it not a good idea to follow the german model for appointing managers within. He basically said that theres no model in the world that is guaranteed of success and that every appointment is a gamble.

superfrank
25/10/2007, 9:47 AM
Troussier is a good manager but I don't think he's what Ireland needs now.

Ireland need someone who can put a proper team together and get them working collectively and consistently. I don't think Troussier can do that for a long period of time. Though he would be better than Souness.

Bungle
25/10/2007, 10:07 AM
I don't like the idea of him continuing to live in Morocco. He doesn't have to live in Dublin but it would help if he wasn't 4/5 hours away. He might say the FAI will just send him loads of tapes to watch but what if they send him the wrong ones and he thinks Franck Nouble (see bungles thread on him) is actually Irish?? :)

Nouble's grandda was a soldier from Clare who fought in the Congo with the UN in 1961 and loved Africa so much that he decided to live in the one African country that is closest to home.... the Ivory Coast.:)

lionelhutz
25/10/2007, 10:07 AM
What about Spurs soon to be unemployed manager Martin Jol or Gerard Houillier, O'Leary has been out too long, Souness is no better and neither have done anything worthwhile, Jol has players that won't work for him and think they are bigger the team. Just a thought. By the way some of the Irsh players need to wake up and take account for their performances. Saw Stevie Ireland all smiles during a game with Man City recently! ya stressed at 25k a week playing with a :ball:

For the love of God no!!

backstothewall
25/10/2007, 1:45 PM
I would suggest those players would be a lot better suited to a foreign manager as they are living abroad. I have this image of Robbie and John O'Shea sniggering at a french accent that worries me.

Our players don't exactly strike me as very open minded about these sorts of things. They wouldn't even have the education to take this **** out of his accent with Monty Python quotes. Much more likely to be allo allo

backstothewall
25/10/2007, 1:47 PM
P.S. I'm waiting to see who the new manager is before i decide where i want him back to. If its O'Leary i don't know where. Perhaps Majorca re: the whole Iceland tournament disgrace

Bottle of Tonic
25/10/2007, 5:01 PM
Wouldn't fancy this bloke. I think ruben sosa's list of his 'achievements' says it all. Got a few results in diddy tournaments that are there for the taking. Forget the world cup for reasons outlined above , home team etc.

As Neil (i think) said, its about qualifying from Europe, and I don't think this lad has the right CV.

Trousier - a big NO from me.

CollegeTillIDie
26/10/2007, 7:28 AM
The Artist currenlty known as Omar? Why is it a big no from you Bottle ?

BaZmO*
26/10/2007, 10:22 AM
I don't like the idea of him continuing to live in Morocco.
Klinnsman got crucified by the German press for the same thing but still managed to do ok.

Bottle of Tonic
26/10/2007, 10:42 PM
The Artist currenlty known as Omar? Why is it a big no from you Bottle ?

Hasn't done it with European teams. With all due respect to African and Asian teams, winning things/qualifying in their regions is there for the taking IMO, if you get a bit of organisation, sound tactics etc. Not the case in Europe where it is so competitive.
I looked at his list of previous jobs a couple of days ago and there were too many exotic 'I'll take any post going' type appointments in there.
Not sure he'd have the respect of the players either.
I don't like potential employees going 'hey, I'm available!' to boot.
Living in Morrocco I doubt he'd be in england every week watching our 30-35 potential squad members and monitoring their progress.
He doesn't tick enough boxes for me, even though I do prefer the continental choice, and I think there are managers out there with better and more relevant CV's. (Jol, houllier, Hodgson, even O'Leary)

I daren't say anything about religion.

I don't like the look of him either.

eekers
24/11/2007, 2:10 AM
for what its worth, he has an article about international management in the guardian today
http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2007/11/23/its_about_experience_art_and_m.htm (http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2007/11/23/its_about_experience_art_and_m.html)l (http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2007/11/23/its_about_experience_art_and_m.html)

i dont rate him as a candidate as all, mainly due to his lack of european managerial experience and this hasnt changed my mind.

Stuttgart88
24/11/2007, 11:16 AM
I'm not suggesting an essay should be part of the interview process but Hodgson's piece is far more impressive than Troussier's (cue childish giggles). Did Troussier even really say anything? I thought some of the punters' smartarse replies were funny.

No way Troussier.

JC_GUFC
24/11/2007, 11:32 AM
Apparently he's now the national manager of Benin for their CAN campaign in January.

I think the buyout clause there would be a bit too much for the FAI!

CollegeTillIDie
25/11/2007, 9:49 AM
Apparently he's now the national manager of Benin for their CAN campaign in January.

I think the buyout clause there would be a bit too much for the FAI!

The CFA Franc is not that strong a currency JC get a grip!:p

CollegeTillIDie
25/11/2007, 9:50 AM
Klinnsman got crucified by the German press for the same thing but still managed to do ok.

Morocco is closer to Ireland than California was to Germany!