PDA

View Full Version : Should we play friendly on November 21st?

theworm2345
23/10/2007, 9:50 PM
I know there will many African teams looking for a friendly (I know Mali is right now) to tune up for the upcoming Cup of Nations and I thought we could get a second match under our new manager (if it ever happens) before winter. This game is during the international break so it would be good timing as well. Also, Ireland have played African teams something like four times that I can remember (Nigeria friendly a few years back, Cameroon and Egypt in the World Cup...maybe South African in the US Cup) so an African or Asian team would be good I think. Just a rambling as I was just on Mali's forum :)

SkStu
23/10/2007, 9:54 PM
whats the opinion over there on the Stan fiasco?

carloz
23/10/2007, 9:55 PM
No, no doubt we will win 4-0 and get an air of optimism before losing to Wales. Nothing was gained from the Denmark one so i dont see why we should, unless we have a new manager in by then

Colbert Report
23/10/2007, 9:58 PM
A friendly against an African side is an excellent idea. We play Wales on November 17 and then have nobody scheduled on the 21st. The only problem is a venue - we can't play friendlies at Croke Park until next year and even then we only get two. Where could we play them? Somewhere in southern Spain or Italy, or even Anfield? It would be nice to play a full international in Cork for once.

niallsparky
23/10/2007, 9:59 PM
If we do play one then we will be playing a very weak team which could prove counter-productive if we lose.

NeilMcD
23/10/2007, 10:10 PM
The scene from Father Ted springs to mind where the Bishop is packing Ted off after a disaster . . . . "there are two tribes there and they have been knocking the sh1t out of each other . . . "

That reminds me I must book time off for the Father Ted Festival. I hears its mintal, and not the Slovakian striker.

NeilMcD
23/10/2007, 10:28 PM
I hopeyou wore your San Marino jersey.

theworm2345
23/10/2007, 11:04 PM
The ideal place for the friendly would likely be that country's former colonist (or at least the place where the national language of that country is spoken). For example, Nigeria and Ghana often play friendlies in England, while Ivory Coast and Mali often play them in France. Nigeria is booked with friendlies against Australia the 17th and Ivory Coast the 21st. I recommended Mali before (game would likely have to be in Paris) and with players like Kanoute, Diarra, Sissoko, etc. it would be a good game.

Kivlehan
23/10/2007, 11:16 PM
USA always seem up for friendlies, they play a ton of matches per year. I would love to see that.

NeilMcD
23/10/2007, 11:21 PM
We wont even have a manager by then so there will be not friendly in my opinion.

theworm2345
24/10/2007, 2:50 AM
At least one person likes the idea at the Mali forum...
http://malikounda.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?t=16134

USA always seem up for friendlies, they play a ton of matches per year. I would love to see that.
I would not like it as I have a strict no watching US matches policy (and if forced, cheer on Mexico)

Metrostars
24/10/2007, 3:09 AM
The US are playing South Africa in SA that time.
So Worm, why not support your country? And you support Mexico over the US? That like an Irish person supporting England over Ireland.

theworm2345
24/10/2007, 3:33 AM
The US are playing South Africa in SA that time.
So Worm, why not support your country? And you support Mexico over the US? That like an Irish person supporting England over Ireland.
I love American hockey, basketball, baseball, american football (though they don't have a national team), track and field, etc. but I hate the soccer team, I hate all of the fans of the team (at least when they are in fan mode), I hate all of the players of the team. The only part of American soccer I don't hate is my team (and I'll don't really ahte the youth organizations either), and we're not even really a part of the USSF (just the referees I think), just a school team. Everything about it makes my skin crawl...the fake fans who love soccer when Beckham comes here, calling a team "FC Dallas" when no one here calls it football, everyone hopping on the bandwagon and saying the US is so great when they make the world cup, when everyone here has to worry about qualifying for Euros, WCs, and having a Stan as a manager, I can go on and on.

P.S. I think Stan could've managed the U.S. to the World Cup
P.P.S. Enough of my rant, anyone have connections at the FAI to perhaps set this up?

danonion
24/10/2007, 3:44 AM
At least one person likes the idea at the Mali forum...
http://malikounda.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?t=16134

I would not like it as I have a strict no watching US matches policy (and if forced, cheer on Mexico)

I'm American born, and having spent years living on either side of the Atlantic, I too support Ireland over the U.S but that is just plain weird.

Colbert Report
24/10/2007, 5:55 AM
I think it's a bit weird too. I've lived in Canada for the past ten years, couldn't name more than one player (Craig Forrest), but I'd still cheer for the Canucks if they were playing the US.

I agree though, people here know nothing about the game. I was sent off after I went Alfie Inge Halland on a guy last year who played on after we tried to put the ball out of play because his player was down injured.

Had a message from the police on my machine when I got home two hours later! Madness.

Dodge
24/10/2007, 9:59 AM
I love American hockey, basketball, baseball, american football (though they don't have a national team), track and field, etc. but I hate the soccer team, I hate all of the fans of the team (at least when they are in fan mode), I hate all of the players of the team. The only part of American soccer I don't hate is my team (and I'll don't really ahte the youth organizations either), and we're not even really a part of the USSF (just the referees I think), just a school team. Everything about it makes my skin crawl...the fake fans who love soccer when Beckham comes here, calling a team "FC Dallas" when no one here calls it football, everyone hopping on the bandwagon and saying the US is so great when they make the world cup,
You sound like some League of Ireland fans here...

citizenerased
24/10/2007, 10:00 AM
wont happen, plus none of the main players would show up...there would be feigning injuries galore!!

theworm2345
24/10/2007, 12:22 PM
wont happen, plus none of the main players would show up...there would be feigning injuries galore!!
Your right, especially now that Givens would be managing that game

Metrostars
24/10/2007, 1:41 PM
I love American hockey, basketball, baseball, american football (though they don't have a national team), track and field, etc. but I hate the soccer team, I hate all of the fans of the team (at least when they are in fan mode), I hate all of the players of the team. The only part of American soccer I don't hate is my team (and I'll don't really ahte the youth organizations either), and we're not even really a part of the USSF (just the referees I think), just a school team. Everything about it makes my skin crawl...the fake fans who love soccer when Beckham comes here, calling a team "FC Dallas" when no one here calls it football, everyone hopping on the bandwagon and saying the US is so great when they make the world cup, when everyone here has to worry about qualifying for Euros, WCs, and having a Stan as a manager, I can go on and on.

P.S. I think Stan could've managed the U.S. to the World Cup
P.P.S. Enough of my rant, anyone have connections at the FAI to perhaps set this up?

I dunno worm but I'm an Irish man living in the US and I support the US team after Ireland. Been to a matches in the Sams Army section, great crack. Small but devoted following. For me it is important to support local soccer whether I live in Galway, Manchester, New York or Singapore. But to each his own I guess.

gwhite
24/10/2007, 2:25 PM
No point playing a friendly unless the new manager is in place, which I hope is the case because if we lose that Wales game and finish 4th or 5th in the group no-one will touch us with a barge pole. They'd want to get the new manager in place before the WC qualifying draw too.

backstothewall
24/10/2007, 6:22 PM
Potentially there is every point, but not for football reasons

Given the current row between Linfield and the IFA, and the impact it would have on the Gibson row, i think we should play a friendly in Windsor Park, with Darron Gibson captain for the night

If Linfield will rent it to us for the night, but they are skint and we have €10m from Germany game.

CollegeTillIDie
24/10/2007, 9:36 PM
backtowalsall

I like the way your mind works.... :D

backstothewall
25/10/2007, 12:55 PM
But the FAI would never be that devious, to someone they didn't employ