PDA

View Full Version : Steven Reid

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

citizenerased
23/10/2007, 10:52 AM
Steven Reid made his first appearance in a Blackburn shirt for 14 months when he managed 55 minutes for Rovers' reserves on Monday night.

The Republic of Ireland midfielder has been struggling with injury for more than a year but played 55 minutes in the 5-0 win over Sunderland without suffering a relapse.

Reid was plagued by injuries to his back and knee which forced him to miss most of last season.

elroy
23/10/2007, 11:12 AM
Good to have him back, i imagine he wont be rushed back considering how long he's been out. Unlikely he'll make the wales game.

ken foree
23/10/2007, 12:05 PM
excellent news, hope he can stay fit. it'll be interesting to see the midfield that surrounds him if/when he gets back in an ireland jersey - two reids in the middle might be a bit adventurous for some. he's an athletic, forward-thinking player with a tremendous shot. i'm not too aware of his range of passing or his ability to carry the ball, been a while since i've seen him in a blackburn jersey. it might necessitate a rethink away from ireland's traditional 4-4-2 to accomodate some of our midfield players. (we have likely played different formations in recent friendlies and some competitive games but to be honest, everything looked so ragged for ireland in the last couple of years that there didn't seem to be any sense of organization or formation on the pitch.)

blobbyblob
23/10/2007, 12:19 PM
Fantastic News.

Firmly believe that he, if fit, will be the key to our next qualifying campaign, regardless of the manager.

mackannovic
23/10/2007, 2:03 PM
Was talking to Mark Hughes on Saturday after the Blackburn game and he said Reid was looking really good and he should be back in full action very soon. Also, there's a lot of talk over there about winger Keith Tracey in the Blackburn reserves, they were showing clips of him on the screens in the stand at half-time.

citizenerased
23/10/2007, 2:06 PM
seen Tracey play for the under 20s against germany a few months ago, he looked decent enough

IsMiseSean
23/10/2007, 3:20 PM
Great news on Reid
New manager, reid back fit...... things could be about to change (for the better hopefully)

carloz
23/10/2007, 4:27 PM
The future is a central midfield of Reid and Reid:). And hopefully Zinedine Kilabne and Stephen Ireland will be let nowhere near that position. If he can regain the form he showed 2 seasons ago then we are in luck. As it is he will be doing very well to break into a very good Blackburn team

Ireland4ever
23/10/2007, 4:36 PM
Was talking to Mark Hughes on Saturday after the Blackburn game and he said Reid was looking really good and he should be back in full action very soon. Also, there's a lot of talk over there about winger Keith Tracey in the Blackburn reserves, they were showing clips of him on the screens in the stand at half-time.

Its true lads he was talkin to him! See the link

http://www.bebo.com/PhotoAlbumBig.jsp?PageNbr=1&MemberId=613754909&PhotoAlbumId=5880536176&PhotoId=5880672269

Schlooooomp
23/10/2007, 5:40 PM
Its true lads he was talkin to him! See the link

http://www.bebo.com/PhotoAlbumBig.jsp?PageNbr=1&MemberId=613754909&PhotoAlbumId=5880536176&PhotoId=5880672269

I thought that all you Blackburn supporters had moved on to Newcastle, followed by Leeds, then Chelsea and are now currently residing under the flag of convenience that is Sunderland:D

Only joking, ye are obviously dedicated.

irishbaz
23/10/2007, 6:57 PM
Good to see another Blackburn fan im a seson ticket holder in Jack walker Lower I was speaking to Stephen Reid who told me he will not be involved with ireland until next campaign but he cant wait to get back playing no pictures he was just walking past me on way to dug out and I grabbed him.

citizenerased
24/10/2007, 10:19 AM
gamst pedersen looks like a doll in your photo

dr_peepee
01/11/2007, 1:24 PM
Just read that Mokuena is injured as well a Robbie Savage.... We could well find Reid getting his opportunity sooner than expected... Not talking about rushing him back mind you... Just saying that there may well be less competition in front of him...

Sligo Hornet
01/11/2007, 4:03 PM
Its great for Stephen (Reid not Ireland , obviously! ) to get back(or try to ) into a team that is absolutely flying!:)

CollegeTillIDie
02/11/2007, 2:59 PM
Delighted Stephen Reid is back. As regards the other fella I'd like to see the rug pulled out from under him :D

Stuttgart88
02/11/2007, 3:02 PM
It's Steven Reid!

Oh, and on that point: it's Jonathon Douglas and Darron Gibson

Paddy Garcia
02/11/2007, 5:53 PM
It's Steven Reid!

Oh, and on that point: it's Jonathon Douglas and Darron Gibson

Is it Stan Laurel or Stan Laural ?

dr_peepee
04/11/2007, 1:52 PM
David Dunn went off injured yesterday... So that's potentially Dunn, Mokuena and Savage out of contention. Hopefully het gets proper fit soon.

Ireland4ever
06/11/2007, 4:39 PM
Good to see Reid back...but i cant see Mark Hughes being too happy with the call-up!

dr_peepee
07/11/2007, 7:25 AM
I dunno... things like that can work both ways. Hughes might be happy to see him get some first team match fitness without gambling premiership points.

He played the full 90 for Rovers reserves against city last night.

tetsujin1979
07/11/2007, 9:29 AM
Interview with Reid on Blackburn's site: http://www.rovers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10303~1161949,00.html (http://www.rovers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10303%7E1161949,00.html)

"I was a little bit surprised [about the call up] actually, I've not heard from Don at all, it was a nice surprise but whether I'm quote up to European qualifying shape at the minute I don't know. "I'm delighted to be in it, I'll have a chat with the manager and see where we go from there."

citizenerased
07/11/2007, 10:55 AM
far too soon for him..see keith treacy was on the bench for blackburn at the weekend!

NeilMcD
07/11/2007, 11:00 AM
Givens is really a tool, he has no man management skills. Darren Potter is not in the squad and usually on ability you would choose Stephen Reid everytime but surely a call to Reid should have been made and then find out if he can play or if Hughes wants him to play. Then you can pick your squad and you have not left Potter out or you have but you tell him that Stephen Reid is back in the squad as ia s more developed player at this stage.

tetsujin1979
07/11/2007, 11:02 AM
far too soon for him..see keith treacy was on the bench for blackburn at the weekend!
He came on in the last few minutes against Portsmouth in the Carling Cup last week.

mackannovic
07/11/2007, 12:43 PM
Hughes to pull Reid from Eire squad
Exclusive By Andy Neild (aneild@lancashire.newsquest.co.uk)

BLACKBURN boss Mark Hughes intends to pull Steven Reid out of Republic of Ireland duty after the midfielder was handed a shock call-up yesterday.
The Republic's caretaker manager, Don Givens, surprisingly included Reid in his 22-man squad for the Group D European Championship qualifier with Wales in Cardiff on November 17 - even though the 26-year-old has yet to make a first-team return following 14 months out with knee and back injuries.
Hughes insists Reid is still not ready to make a full competitive comeback, even though he watched the former Millwall man complete 90 minutes for Rovers' Reserves at Manchester City last night.

And the Rovers chief plans to make his feelings known during a conversation with the Football Association of Ireland today.
"There's no way Steven can play because he's just not ready yet," said Hughes.
"The guy has been out for 14 months with two different injuries and he has yet to play a first team game for us, so there's no way he can play for his country."
Although Reid stepped up his comeback with another useful workout last night, Hughes believes the midfielder still needs another couple of games before he can be considered for a first team return.
"I don't want to set Steven specific targets because if he doesn't hit them, it seems like a set-back," said Hughes.
"He's making good progress and you can see that he's getting stronger with every game he plays, but he probably needs another couple of matches yet before we can start thinking about throwing him back in.
"You can't rush people back when they've been out for as long as Steven has."
Reid admitted he was genuinely shocked to learn of his call-up yesterday, 14 months after he last played for the Republic in the opening game of their qualifying campaign against Germany.
"I was a bit surprised, to be honest," he said.
"I've not heard from Don at all so it was a big surprise, but a nice surprise.
"Whether I'm up to European qualifying shape at the minute, I don't know.
"But I was delighted to be in it all the same, and it's things like that that make you start to feel you are getting back."
As for last night's run-out against City, Reid added: "I'm just happy to get another 90 under my belt. I started to tire in the last 15 minutes or so.
"But hopefully I can get a couple more games in before the gaffer looks to get me back involved with the squad.
"I know it's a cliché but it's literally a case of taking every game as it comes.
"But I'm just delighted to be training and playing in every game that comes along at the minute.
"I feel in decent shape. I was a little bit sloppy at times (last night) and gave the ball away a bit, but I'm sure that will come once I've got a few more games under my belt."

Ireland4ever
07/11/2007, 12:47 PM
Ya cant blame Hughes, Reid gets injured playing for Ireland against Germany, Blackburn have to pay his wages for the 14 months he's out, the as soon as he gets near fitness he has to play his first comeback game....for Ireland!! But good to see he's on the mend and near a return.

citizenerased
07/11/2007, 1:08 PM
yeah hughes has a right to pull him out givens is a mongo

NeilMcD
07/11/2007, 1:12 PM
As I said above this should have been sorted before, Givens really has not skills in this area or any other area it seems to do with football managment. It now means that Potter feels he has been dropped also. So its a lose lose situation.

geysir
07/11/2007, 2:13 PM
Potter played 8 minutes on saturday, he is also recovering match fitness after injury.

Blackburn have to pay his wages for the 14 months he's out
If a player is injured on intl duty the FAI insurance covers at least 6 months of club wages, Reid injured himself again adding to his woes.
Agreed he shouldn't be near the squad yet.

paul_oshea
07/11/2007, 2:15 PM
ya givens is a mongo, but if it boosts his confidence and stuff then thats a good thing.

Ordinary Fan
07/11/2007, 10:20 PM
It must be a boost for Reid to see he so highly though-of, but he needs to be playing for Blackburn before making his come-back for Ireland.

citizenerased
08/11/2007, 12:08 PM
agreed, fair enough if we were still in with a shout of qualifying...hopefully he will be fit for the friendly against the samba boys.

Ireland4ever
08/11/2007, 12:42 PM
Potter played 8 minutes on saturday, he is also recovering match fitness after injury.

If a player is injured on intl duty the FAI insurance covers at least 6 months of club wages, Reid injured himself again adding to his woes.
Agreed he shouldn't be near the squad yet.

Okay make it 8 months then, still rough on b'burn!

Sligo Hornet
08/11/2007, 3:19 PM
Givens knew he was coming back from a serious injury and therefore should have spoke to Mark Hughes ( and Reid ) before announcing his squad, thereby avoiding this embarrassing situation.

shelbourne1904
08/11/2007, 3:41 PM
ya givens is a mongo, but if it boosts his confidence and stuff then thats a good thing.

So if he boosts his confidence and it was a "nice surprise" ,according to Reid,then hes not a mongo.....whatever that is???

geysir
08/11/2007, 5:45 PM
Okay make it 8 months then, still rough on b'burn!
The FAI were not responsible for Steven's second injury which increased the time out to 14 months.
Don't say that he wouldn't have had the second injury only because he injured himself in the first place in Stuttgart :)
He is injury prone (extreme).

paul_oshea
08/11/2007, 6:37 PM
do ye know what, a mate of mine was a boxer, he had to stop cos he kept breaking his thumb or wrist!! his surname was reid too..........

backstothewall
08/11/2007, 7:16 PM
As this game is a glorified friendly i could have seen the benefit of calling him up and not playing him, just to get him training with the squad again. Or even asking Sparky permission to take him away to train with us, but not actually name him in the squad.

But if Hughes really had no idea, it is a bit of a strange one. What was Givens thinking?

Ireland4ever
09/11/2007, 1:08 PM
The FAI were not responsible for Steven's second injury which increased the time out to 14 months.
Don't say that he wouldn't have had the second injury only because he injured himself in the first place in Stuttgart :)
He is injury prone (extreme).

He wouldn't have had the second injury if he hadnt injured himself in the first place in Stuttgart

There, ive said it!:):)

kingdom hoop
09/11/2007, 3:08 PM
Ooooh we've got a bit of a rebel on our hands, I like it! Be warned though, Geysir is liable to erupt without any forewarning. ;) :D

On Steven Reid, I really hope he can return to the form he was in with Blackburn two years ago. The ****ty thing with such long injuries though is that you pretty much have to prove yourself from scratch all over again. Best of luck Steven, I'm sure your loyal follower Ireland4Ever will keep us abreast of your progress, well he better after being so bold earlier. :D

geysir
09/11/2007, 3:49 PM
Nah Geysir is a pool of calm and tranquility, these days it only erupts once in a blue moon.
But nevertheless you are advised to keep your distance :)
you never know when.

kingdom hoop
09/11/2007, 4:18 PM
I presume you're more educated than me and you're continuing the geysir pun to an ignoramus of geysir's life story. :o

EDIT; yeah, you are, well done! Sorry for my lameness. Apparently there's only one Geysir, but many geysers! Quote from wiki; Geysir can hurl boiling water up to 60 metres in the air. :eek: Watch out lads!

DeNiro
25/11/2007, 4:29 PM
On the bench for Blackburn today.

zenokelly
25/11/2007, 5:10 PM
He came on with a couple of mins to go:D

DmanDmythDledge
15/12/2007, 2:13 PM
His first start in almost 16 months today.

carloz
15/12/2007, 2:37 PM
His first start in almost 16 months today.

Think they have just said he went over on his ankel and has been taken off:(

tetsujin1979
15/12/2007, 3:21 PM
Still on the pitch according to Sky Sports livescore: http://home.skysports.com/livescores/football/
Heskey was taken off with an injury alright

irishfan86
16/12/2007, 5:59 AM
Glad to see him make it through 90 minutes unscathed.

He looked a little rusty and made a few errant passes, but that's to be expected.

By the second half he'd settled down a bit, and he played a part in one of Blackburn's goals by forcing the goalie to make a save by running into the box to head the ball, and that led to Santa Cruz banging in the goal (I think the second?).

He's got an engine in him as we all know, and he'll be a welcome addition to the squad in our quest for World Cup Qualification.

He was slide tackled from behind twice and I was happy to see him get up promptly each time.

Not a thunderous return, but a steady one, hopefully he'll get better with each game back.

dr_peepee
30/12/2007, 8:23 PM
Where was Steven reid today... Is he injured???

NeilMcD
30/12/2007, 11:28 PM
rested as there was a few games in a few days and he is only coming back from an injury, pretty basic really