PDA

View Full Version : Steven Reid

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Duggie
03/09/2009, 10:20 AM
wonder will he be included for the friendly v SA. get some game time under his belt.

shakermaker1982
03/09/2009, 10:27 AM
wonder will he be included for the friendly v SA. get some game time under his belt.

I imagine Sam will keep him at home. Wolves let Doyle go off to play in an international friendly to get fit and only got injured (again) resulting in him missing the start of the season. Reid needs to be eased back in gently. Please let him be fit for the Italian game.

Duggie
03/09/2009, 10:31 AM
maybe give him a half get his fitness up. depends i suppose. cant wait for him to get back fully fit as you say.

Junior
03/09/2009, 12:31 PM
Would trap throw him in to the starting 11 against Italy though? even if fit and a few premiership games under his belt, would he change the Andrews & Whelan partnership?

How many games has S Reid started under Trap, I know almost every poster here would want him started and are longing for his return but somehow Im not so sure that Trap feels that his return will mean an automatic change?

Hopefully, that is a decision he does at least have to make.

Jicked
03/09/2009, 12:32 PM
Would trap throw him in to the starting 11 against Italy though? even if fit and a few premiership games under his belt, would he change the Andrews & Whelan partnership?

How many games has S Reid started under Trap, I know almost every poster here would want him started and are longing for his return but somehow Im not so sure that Trap feels that his return will mean an automatic change?

Hopefully, that is a decision he does at least have to make.

Trap has always been a big fan of Steven Reid, even playing a not 100% match fit Reid in Podgorica. If he's fit he'll slot straight back in to the starting eleven without a doubt.

Duggie
03/09/2009, 12:38 PM
at the minute steven reid and whelan for me. trap seems to really like whelan. andrews to drop out IMO.

Junior
03/09/2009, 12:41 PM
If one of the stato's has the analysis.....Who have the starting midfield duo been in all of Traps games to date?

Im sure he does rate Reid very highly (as do I), its just that other players have become his regular midfield over the last 6-12 months and Im not sure he would change it just like that.

Just a thought.......

Duggie
03/09/2009, 12:49 PM
If one of the stato's has the analysis.....Who have the starting midfield duo been in all of Traps games to date?

Im sure he does rate Reid very highly (as do I), its just that other players have become his regular midfield over the last 6-12 months and Im not sure he would change it just like that.

Just a thought.......

nah 100 per cent trap will have reid as first choice, with whelan i think.

elroy
03/09/2009, 12:51 PM
We need to look to the long term for Reid, in reality another serious injury and his career could be toast. It'd be reckless to throw him into a high intensity game like this until he's fully ready.

Id be surprised if he starts any game for us this campaign except for maybe the playoffs. I cant see him getting 4/5 full 90 mins games between now and the Italian game and that is what he would need before he should be considered for a starting spot.

DeLorean
03/09/2009, 1:09 PM

I would hope so!! It's not like he'd be upsetting a blossoming partnership or anything. Anyway I doubt it will come to that as I'd imagine this will be the case...

Id be surprised if he starts any game for us this campaign except for maybe the playoffs. I cant see him getting 4/5 full 90 mins games between now and the Italian game and that is what he would need before he should be considered for a starting spot.

tetsujin1979
03/09/2009, 1:14 PM
here you go

Home Result Away Starting CM
Republic of Ireland 1-1 Serbia Liam Miller Glenn Whelan
Republic of Ireland 1-0 Colombia Glenn Whelan Liam Miller
Norway 1-1 Republic of Ireland Steven Reid Glenn Whelan
Georgia 1-2 Republic of Ireland Steven Reid Glenn Whelan
Montenegro 0-0 Republic of Ireland Glenn Whelan Steven Reid
Republic of Ireland 1-0 Cyprus Darron Gibson Glenn Whelan
Republic of Ireland 2-3 Poland Darron Gibson Glenn Whelan
Republic of Ireland 2-1 Georgia Keith Andrews Glenn Whelan
Republic of Ireland 1-1 Bulgaria Keith Andrews Glenn Whelan
Italy 1-1 Republic of Ireland Keith Andrews Glenn Whelan
Republic of Ireland 1-1 Nigeria Keith Andrews Liam Miller
Bulgaria 1-1 Republic of Ireland Glenn Whelan Keith Andrews
Republic of Ireland 0-3 Australia Glenn Whelan Darron Gibson

I didn't realise Whelan had started all but one of Trapattoni's games to date

Duggie
03/09/2009, 1:23 PM
whelans played all but 1.

Junior
03/09/2009, 2:33 PM
And S Reid has only featured three times which is more to the point surely? Im just playing devils advocate here but how is everyone so **** sure that Trap would definitely have Reid in the starting 11 as soon as he is fit. By the way Im not saying he shouldnt be....

Cheers for the stats Tets.

Duggie
03/09/2009, 2:38 PM
And S Reid has only featured three times which is more to the point surely? Im just playing devils advocate here but how is everyone so **** sure that Trap would definitely have Reid in the starting 11 as soon as he is fit. By the way Im not saying he shouldnt be....

Cheers for the stats Tets.

trap thinks a lot of reid's ability. he and whelan formed a nice partnership before reid got injured. esp in the first half against georgia when we played some nice passing football. reid is a def starter when he comes back.

DeLorean
03/09/2009, 2:47 PM
how is everyone so **** sure that Trap would definitely have Reid in the starting 11 as soon as he is fit

Because he has a bit of a brain

elroy
03/09/2009, 3:33 PM
here you go

This is interesting (ignoring LM as he is not an option imo)
W&A record: 1W 3D
W&G: 1W 2L
W&R: 1W 2D

I think we'd agree that the above W&R or A&R would be our best option. The W&A stats sums up their partnership, very defensive orientated, wont give away much but aint gonna score many either. W&A should start on sat imo.

third policeman
03/09/2009, 3:36 PM
Because he has a bit of a brain

And vastly more footballing ability as well.

Stuttgart88
03/09/2009, 3:38 PM
I'm sure it'll be W & A.

I think Andrews has been better than a few here gice him credit for. Hodgson wanted him at Fulham which is a decent accolade.

For Ireland he adds bite & mobility. We're not that creative from midfield but we're not as porous as we were either. We look less secure with Gibson playing IMO.

elroy
03/09/2009, 3:44 PM
I'm sure it'll be W & A.

I think Andrews has been better than a few here gice him credit for. Hodgson wanted him at Fulham which is a decent accolade.

For Ireland he adds bite & mobility. We're not that creative from midfield but we're not as porous as we were either. We look less secure with Gibson playing IMO.

In fairness to both W&A, both have a decent strike on them. Andrews scored against poland and was unlucky against Bulgaria (i think, disallowed goal?). We really should be looking for a goal or two from them over the remaining games, maybe sat is the night.

Stuttgart88
03/09/2009, 4:03 PM
Goals from midfield are crucial. Whelan got a lucky one in Mainz but otherwise we've only had Doyle (1), Robbie & Dunne (set pieces) on the scoresheet I think. At least set-pieces have contributed but there's too much onus on the front two in my opinion.

jbyrne
03/09/2009, 4:05 PM
Andrews scored against poland and was unlucky against Bulgaria (i think, disallowed goal?)

georgia i think. bad decision by the ref / linesman

Scram
03/09/2009, 4:07 PM
here you go

W&A midfield fro Cyprus, looks like a 1-1 so!

tetsujin1979
03/09/2009, 4:13 PM
I'm sure it'll be W & A.

if you're playing with two wingers like Duff and McGeady, there really shouldn't be a need for the central midfield to be creative

paul_oshea
03/09/2009, 4:34 PM
No but they at least need to be able pick them out or they wont be able get the ball in the first instance!

The Legend
04/09/2009, 2:14 AM
im probably going to get shot for this, but I think you guys are rating Reid a bit too highly, I guess maybe if he didnt have so many injury problems it would be different story, but I just haven't seen him perform any miracles on the pitch.

irishfan86
04/09/2009, 3:47 AM
im probably going to get shot for this, but I think you guys are rating Reid a bit too highly, I guess maybe if he didnt have so many injury problems it would be different story, but I just haven't seen him perform any miracles on the pitch.

He's a top top player when fit. The rumours about Man United going in for him a couple of years ago are testament to that fact (I think they eventually went for Hargreaves at that point).

Even if you don't rate him that highly, surely you can at least agree that he is a massive step up from the likes of Whelan, Andrews, and Gibson (at least at this point).

WexCar
04/09/2009, 3:48 AM

Nobody claims he's a miracle worker or world class midfielder. People rate him in relation to our other CMs to which most people see him as superior and like fans of any team we just want to see our best players play.

Stuttgart88
04/09/2009, 9:19 AM
Nobody claims he's a miracle worker or world class midfielder. People rate him in relation to our other CMs to which most people see him as superior and like fans of any team we just want to see our best players play.Well said.

The Legend
05/09/2009, 7:09 AM
fair enough he's better than whelan and andrews when fit.

eirebhoy
05/09/2009, 10:42 AM
Well he's a playmaker which the other current options for central midfield aren't. That makes him one of our most important players imo.

danonion
05/09/2009, 3:16 PM
Well he's a playmaker which the other current options for central midfield aren't. That makes him one of our most important players imo.

Not to mention his level of athleticism is almost nonexistent in the Irish team. Fit the man is an animal.

Stuttgart88
05/09/2009, 4:10 PM
His athleticism is the key for me. Andrews is an athlete too but doesn't use the ball as well, Whelan can use the ball well enough but doesn't have the athleticism.

With Reid back I can see either Andrews or Whelan (or Gibson) working well with him, depending on the task at hand. Really important player for us. For those spouting on about how lucky we've been in this campaign, we've been without a really key player for nearly all of it. We only have a handful of genuinely good players and can't afford to lose them.

Colbert Report
06/09/2009, 10:14 PM
Steven Reid is an excellent footballer when fit. Very clearly he'll start instead of Keith Andrews or Glenn Whelan when he gets back in game shape. That must happen soon for him to have any chance to play in our next two competitive matches.

lankyboy26
06/09/2009, 10:49 PM
what's the current status of his injury? i heard he broke down in training again

SuperDave
06/09/2009, 10:58 PM
what's the current status of his injury? i heard he broke down in training again

nah just a hamstring strain.... usually happens with cruciate comebacks.

tetsujin1979
06/09/2009, 11:00 PM
didn't hear that at all?
This is the latest I can find on him
From http://www.blackburn.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=169074

Steven Reid - lord almighty the news is good. The knock picked up in his big comeback against Gillingham in the Carling Cup has not disrupted him much and word has it he is stepping up training this week with a view to the Wolves game. Bom may even eat his words yet!

From http://www.rovers.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10303~1785284,00.html

The popular Irishman has just returned to first team action following a year out with a serious knee injury, and he'll be looking to force his way back into the starting eleven starting with the game against Wolves.

lankyboy26
06/09/2009, 11:09 PM
nah just a hamstring strain.... usually happens with cruciate comebacks.
he should be back in 2 weeks so?

Eirambler
06/09/2009, 11:18 PM
Well the Blackurn v Wolves game is this Saturday so if he makes that he will have that and 3 more league games to get match fit for our two qualifiers.

Sounds promising.

lankyboy26
06/09/2009, 11:36 PM
Well the Blackurn v Wolves game is this Saturday so if he makes that he will have that and 3 more league games to get match fit for our two qualifiers.

Sounds promising.
i'd be surprised if he plays against wolves, if he tears his hamstring we're in big trouble. i'm just waiting for the day that our luck runs out, it has to sometime, can't keep gettin away with whelan and andrews in midfield, just not good enough

Stuttgart88
07/09/2009, 10:33 AM
Surely our luck was out when Steven Reid got injured last year?

I think there are just as many entries in the "bad luck" column as there are in the "good luck" column to be honest.

2 OG's for Italy on Saturday. As someone else said, is that WC winning resolve or sheer good fortune?

paul_oshea
07/09/2009, 10:41 AM
WC winning resolve brings/requires/acquires sheer good fortune.

Reid is a class midfielder, the key to him is his energy levels alright but also he is an intelligent footballer with the ball, and always always shows for the ball when the defence have it. He is that outlet that links the defenders to the midfield, and is not afraid to demand the ball. Compare that to our current midfield maestro in glenn whelan and you can see the huge difference reid makes in this team. Although its a long time ago now, montenegro away he was our best player in my opinion, he kept showing for the ball, holding onto possession and rarely lost the ball and most importantly very little hoof football. I cant remember a game away from home where we had so much possession and looked so comfortable. Yet we never looked like winning as we never went for it.

Wolfie
07/09/2009, 12:33 PM
.... Although its a long time ago now, montenegro away he was our best player in my opinion, he kept showing for the ball, holding onto possession and rarely lost the ball and most importantly very little hoof football. I cant remember a game away from home where we had so much possession and looked so comfortable. Yet we never looked like winning as we never went for it.

I thought Reid played very well that night, certainly baring in mind the constraints of the game plan that night. We retained possession well enough and used the ball with a modicom of purpose for once.

I can remember thinking we'd actually witnessed the green shoots of a properly functioning midfield that night and Reid has been a big loss to us.

We had a presence and intelligence in our midfield play that Reid was primarly responsible for.

We'd a couple of chance as well - McGeady was through, albeit an acute angle, Keane made the keeper work in the 2nd half and we had a huge peno claim overlooked.

Stuttgart88
07/09/2009, 12:39 PM
Remember the first half away to Norway? We started badly but after about ten minutes we dominated a midfield in a way I haven't seen for ages. We defended very high up the pitch.

eirebhoy
07/09/2009, 2:07 PM
I always remember Reid pushing up when Norway had the ball to put pressure on one of their defenders. Gibson, Whelan and Andrews wouldn't dare do that and disrupt Trap's system. Reid is crucial to us. Much more important than Stephen Ireland would be imo because Reid offers us the ability to dominate games.

swinfordfc
10/09/2009, 10:05 AM
According to Paul Lennon in the star today - Reid will not be consider for the Italy game - i hope he is wrong

tetsujin1979
10/09/2009, 10:09 AM
According to Paul Lennon in the star today - Reid will not be consider for the Italy game - i hope he is wrong
same in the examiner: http://www.examiner.ie/sport/world-champions-are-afraid-of-ireland-claims-trapattoni-100603.html

Sadly, an injury much earlier in Trapattoni’s reign has already eliminated Steven Reid from the final two games of Ireland’s World Cup qualification bid, with the manager yesterday confirming that the Blackburn Rovers midfielder – who is slowly returning to fitness after missing most of last season following knee surgery – has not yet made sufficient progress to be considered for selection for the back-to-back games next month against Italy and Montenegro in Croke Park.

"It is impossible," said Trapattoni. "In six months he doesn’t play apart from 30 minutes in a friendly. He doesn’t play for his club and it is a serious injury. So at the moment there isn’t the possibility he can play for us."

and in the Times: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2009/0910/1224254207647.html

He added he has pretty much given up hope of Steven Reid making the sort of rapid return to fitness that would be required for him to feature against Italy.

“Steven hasn’t played for six months, only 30 minutes in a friendly or the Carling Cup. I have always said that if players haven’t played 90 minutes in one, two, three, four games then I have to look elsewhere because they are injured. . . .

Duggie
10/09/2009, 10:15 AM
could have him back for the play off's if we get them.

geysir
10/09/2009, 10:28 AM
Surely our luck was out when Steven Reid got injured last year?

I think there are just as many entries in the "bad luck" column as there are in the "good luck" column to be honest.

2 OG's for Italy on Saturday. As someone else said, is that WC winning resolve or sheer good fortune?

In the end it's the resolve that gets you through.
It's hard to objective about things like fortune or luck

republicofwhite
10/09/2009, 11:01 AM
It doesn't matter anymore whether he plays against Italy or not after last nights results. All that matters now is that he is wrapped in cotton wool until the play offs, hopefully by then he'll be nearing full fitness and and getting some game time for Blackburn. If we could get 70 minutes out of him in both play off matches that would be as much as we could hope for. He could make ALL the difference in the play offs. We'll actually have a midfield when it matters most...

eirebhoy
10/09/2009, 11:26 AM
“Steven hasn’t played for six months, only 30 minutes in a friendly or the Carling Cup. I have always said that if players haven’t played 90 minutes in one, two, three, four games then I have to look elsewhere because they are injured. . . .

He'll have played a few games for Blackburn before the Italy game hopefully.

We'll probably need 2 points from the 2 games btw. Don't be taking a win against Montenegro for granted.