PDA

View Full Version : Live First Division game on RTE

Pages : [1] 2 3

el punter
23/10/2007, 9:53 AM
Harps v Athlone to get the live treatment it seems

Details here (http://www.walkthechalk.com/extras.php?cid=26)

Mr_T
23/10/2007, 10:21 AM
Great stuff, will be some crowd in FP that night!

Finn Harps promotion push to feature live on RTE

Finn Harps FC wish to confirm that the clubs final home game of the season will feature live on RTE television. The club were delighted with the announcement by the FAI that the home match against Athlone Town on Friday 2nd November will be screened live on Network 2.

It will be necessary to change the kick off time from 8.00pm to 7.55pm to facilitate the TV coverage which will give Harps fans only the second chance ever to see their home ground feature on live television.

Harps Chairman John Campbell expressed his satisfaction with the development. "Its great news for the club, and I welcome the fact that the achievements of Paul Hegarty and the team are being recognised by the TV companies" he said "We hope there will be a big crowd there and we can show the nation what Finn Harps are about, that we have a fantastic team and fantastic supporters"

Finn Park has only graced our TV screens on one previous occasion, the 1998 cup semi final against Shelbourne, while the Ballybofey club have featured another 5 times in a live broadcast, all in 1999. The club's away fixture with Sligo Rovers was featured in that season, while the cup semi final win over Galway in Terryland Park and subsequent treble cup final epic against Bray Wanderers were also televised.

Its is indeed a sign of good times returning to the banks of the Finn that the live broadcast units of the National Broadcaster will make their return to Finn Park after an absence of 9 years.

--
Official Press Release From Finn Harps FC

Mr A
23/10/2007, 10:25 AM
Jeez, this has been up several minutes yet no one has been on whinging that the first division shouldn't get any coverage. :)

btid1
23/10/2007, 10:26 AM
Jeez, this has been up several minutes yet no one has been on whinging that the first division shouldn't get any coverage. :)

The first division shouldnt get any coverage..............happy now?;)

MyTown
23/10/2007, 10:27 AM
This time last year Conor Gethins bagged a great hat trick (oh God, did he only get two?. There were two quality goals from him at least!) live on TV against Athlone. The portents are good for ye.

EAFC_rdfl
23/10/2007, 10:29 AM
thats great stuff, I was wondering how long we'd have to wait for rte to realise the battle going on in div 1, suppose they had to show the run in to the prem div first.
the game against cobh should have been on too imo

dcfcsteve
23/10/2007, 10:57 AM

The First Division should get coverage. Just not that kip of a stadium of yours......! :D

Mr A
23/10/2007, 10:59 AM
At least we own it.

Mr A
23/10/2007, 11:01 AM
And of course the access routes are excellent.

Mr_T
23/10/2007, 11:01 AM
The First Division should get coverage. Just not that kip of a stadium of yours......! :D

Don't worry Steve, you won't be able to see the "stadium" with the heaving masses of fans! :cool:

And before somebody says it - ain't bandwagons great!

dcfcsteve
23/10/2007, 11:03 AM
Don't worry Steve, you won't be able to see the "stadium" with the heaving masses of fans! :cool:

And the heaving mass of fans won't be able to see about a third of the pitch.

You should give them all mini TV's on the way in to make sure they don't miss any of the action..... :p

;)

Dodge
23/10/2007, 11:05 AM
So RTE wouldn't show harps v Derry but will show harps v Athlone...

therefore...

Athlone > Derry

Jerry The Saint
23/10/2007, 11:05 AM
the home match against Athlone Town on Friday 2nd November will be screened live on Network 2

Makes sense now. If your TV doesn't have Network 2 you won't be able to watch it :D

Would have thought Waterford/Galway or Bohs/Longford (possible Cup Final preview?) would be shown by RTE instead. Typical RTE pro-North West bias. :mad:

dcfcsteve
23/10/2007, 11:08 AM
So RTE wouldn't show harps v Derry but will show harps v Athlone...

therefore...

Athlone > Derry

What makes it worse is that Waterford/Sligo > Derry/Harps...... :eek:

:)

Sam_Heggy
23/10/2007, 11:10 AM
Great news, Isn't the RTE great? :D

Danny
23/10/2007, 11:22 AM
defo would have thought bohs/longford to be a bigger game
as said above could be a cup final preview plus bohs playing for 3rd ;) and longford fighting to stay up

Sam_Heggy
23/10/2007, 11:28 AM
defo would have thought bohs/longford to be a bigger game
as said above could be a cup final preview plus bohs playing for 3rd ;) and longford fighting to stay up

The race for promotion is pretty exciting too ;)

Its the first live game from Finn Park since 1998, thats 9 years :eek: do you really begrudge that?

harpstilidie
23/10/2007, 11:32 AM
Haha! Fantastic! About flippin time! :D have to get the dvd recorder on for that one!

dcfcsteve
23/10/2007, 11:35 AM
The race for promotion is pretty exciting too ;)

Its the first live game from Finn Park since 1998, thats 9 years :eek: do you really begrudge that?

I wonder why you haven't had a live game from Finn Park in those 9 intervening years....? :)

Though in fairness, the play-offs and the recent Cup game against Derry should have made it to TV as well.

Hopefully you'll win the league and we can have a two-legged Setanta play-off televised live as well.

CollegeTillIDie
23/10/2007, 1:46 PM
The First Division doesn't get any coverage..... in the Irish Times.
Get's relatively sod all in the Irish Independent.
It's a Sad state of affairs when '' The Paper of Record'' title has to be shared between three foreign owned red tops.... Irish Sun, The Star and The Irish Mirror. But fair play to the three red tops for recognising the First Division exists and having consistent coverage of it. Not the hit and miss in the Examiner and Indo.

KianD
23/10/2007, 1:48 PM
Monday's tabloid-format Indo had the scores from the Saturday D1 games - that was it. I believe the content is identical in the broadsheet.

CollegeTillIDie
23/10/2007, 1:58 PM
Monday's tabloid-format Indo had the scores from the Saturday D1 games - that was it. I believe the content is identical in the broadsheet.
Hence my comments about the Indo. The odd time you get match reports a lot of the time you get what you just described.

jebus
23/10/2007, 2:08 PM
One good thing about the Red Tops is that they recognise 'Supporting the League' also means supporting the First Division, something which some of the Premier Division mugs on this website haven't realised yet. Either way fairplay to RTE for showing Harps - Athlone

Mr_T
23/10/2007, 3:00 PM
One good thing about the Red Tops is that they recognise 'Supporting the League' also means supporting the First Division, something which some of the Premier Division mugs on this website haven't realised yet. Either way fairplay to RTE for showing Harps - Athlone

Also a full page feature with Harps Chairman John Campbell in Irish Star Soccer pull out today, although I believe its a Northern Edition and not in the Dublin papers.

carrickharp
23/10/2007, 3:08 PM
Also a full page feature with Harps Chairman John Campbell in Irish Star Soccer pull out today, although I believe its a Northern Edition and not in the Dublin papers.

Not in the Dublin issue.

bellavistaman
23/10/2007, 5:25 PM
Delighted for harps, but to show them play bloody athlone, surely our game few weeks was far more important,and even last weekend vs Dundalk. Good sign RTE showing first div matches though.

Neish
23/10/2007, 7:26 PM
Hopefully you'll win the league and we can have a two-legged Setanta play-off televised live as well.

Apparently its only gonna be one leg with lots drawn to decide who will be at home, to be played on Monday November 19th 7:45 K.O.

dortie
23/10/2007, 8:05 PM
Harps v Athlone to get the live treatment it seems

Details here (http://www.walkthechalk.com/extras.php?cid=26)

Come on the TOWN !

Neish
23/10/2007, 8:48 PM
Come on the TOWN !

Are you back again, ch*ist that all we need;)

bellavistaman
23/10/2007, 9:09 PM
Come on the TOWN !

hear hear :D:D:D

dortie
23/10/2007, 9:11 PM
Are you back again, ch*ist that all we need;)

"I never went away you know"

Sam_Heggy
23/10/2007, 9:12 PM
hear hear

c'mon the Shels

:eek: wait, did I just say that? I must be going mad :confused:

dcfcsteve
24/10/2007, 12:34 AM
Apparently its only gonna be one leg with lots drawn to decide who will be at home, to be played on Monday November 19th 7:45 K.O.

God - I do hope they change that to 2-legs if it does end up as Harps-Derry!!

I know you won't agree with me, but having a single leg at Finn Park would just be wrong. You'd make more money at the Brandywell (a significantly bigger gate to share evenly), it'd look much better on TV from our ground, and as you'd lose for the 10,000th time or whatever you have to take serious consideration of anything other than the result....! :D

fbtn
24/10/2007, 10:02 AM
God - I do hope they change that to 2-legs if it does end up as Harps-Derry!!

I know you won't agree with me, but having a single leg at Finn Park would just be wrong. You'd make more money at the Brandywell (a significantly bigger gate to share evenly), it'd look much better on TV from our ground, and as you'd lose for the 10,000th time or whatever you have to take serious consideration of anything other than the result....! :D

Why, how many will the Brandywell hold now?

There would be well over 5000 in Finn Park for it and the Brandywell looks cack on TV.

dcfcsteve
24/10/2007, 10:48 AM
Why, how many will the Brandywell hold now?

At least 6,000 when we can use the standing areas (i.e. not Europe). It used to be as high as 8,000, but since we put seats into the old Jungle this will have dropped. Someone else may have a better idea of the current official capacity currently, but we had at least 6,000 at last year's League Cup Final versus Shelbourne.

There would be well over 5000 in Finn Park for it and the Brandywell looks cack on TV.

At least 20% less than the Brandywell would hold, and we should sell-out a single-legged play-off between us, so less income for both clubs if it was held at Finn Park.

Were there not less than 5,000 at the sell-out Cup game between us in Finn Park last month ? If so - where is the extra capacity you're now talking about going to come from? :confused:

As for the Brandywell looking 'cack' on TV.....?!? :o Aye - cuz Finn Harps looks like the Field of Dreams...... :D

fbtn
24/10/2007, 11:19 AM
At least 6,000 when we can use the standing areas (i.e. not Europe). It used to be as high as 8,000, but since we put seats into the old Jungle this will have dropped. Someone else may have a better idea of the current official capacity currently, but we had at least 6,000 at last year's League Cup Final versus Shelbourne.

At least 20% less than the Brandywell would hold, and we should sell-out a single-legged play-off between us, so less income for both clubs if it was held at Finn Park.

Were there not less than 5,000 at the sell-out Cup game between us in Finn Park last month ? If so - where is the extra capacity you're now talking about going to come from? :confused:

As for the Brandywell looking 'cack' on TV.....?!? :o Aye - cuz Finn Harps looks like the Field of Dreams...... :D

Obviously you weren't there. It wasn't a sell-out.

Finn Park looks like cack on TV. As does the Brandywell.

DmanDmythDledge
24/10/2007, 12:10 PM
Are you coming out with this crap again? If Harps win the coin toss it wouldn't be wrong to have the game at Finn Park, regardless of which venue is better.

dcfcsteve
24/10/2007, 12:15 PM
Obviously you weren't there. It wasn't a sell-out.

So your biggest game of the year crowd-wise, and you still couldn't sell it out ? :eek: But you still think Finn Park would have a bigger crowd for a one-legged play-off than the Brandywell...? :confused:

P.S. Subtle clue as to why I wasn't there. Look at the top right-hand side of every single post I make.... :)

dcfcsteve
24/10/2007, 12:18 PM
Are you coming out with this crap again? If Harps win the coin toss it wouldn't be wrong to have the game at Finn Park, regardless of which venue is better.

No great surprise to see a UCD fan asserting the supremacy of the coin-toss over sensible considerations such as capacity, spectacle, fit for purpose etc when determining where big games should be played.....

:D

Mr A
24/10/2007, 12:56 PM
In that case the league cup final should have been at Dalymount surely.

Schumi
24/10/2007, 12:58 PM
No great surprise to see a UCD fan asserting the supremacy of the coin-toss over sensible considerations such as capacity, spectacle, fit for purpose etc when determining where big games should be played.....

:D
And no surprise to see a Northerner wanting the rules changed to suit themselves. If you drew Manchester United in Europe would you move your home leg to Old Trafford to make more money and have a better spectacle?

RĂ©iteoir
24/10/2007, 1:01 PM
In that case the league cup final should have been at Dalymount surely.

That's what Setanta led us to believe when they requested we move games in the League to facilitate TV coverage for them earlier in this season (which we did - despite taking a hit on attendance figures) - something along the lines of:

"Ah lads, we love coming to Dalymount as it's so good for us to cover games at - ground is perfect for broadcasting from. Move these matches and we'll basically guarantee you'll have the League Cup Final at Dalymount should you get there this season..."

RRS by the TV lot...

Sam_Heggy
24/10/2007, 1:02 PM
At least 6,000 when we can use the standing areas

How much of this 6,000 capacity is the standng area behind that bus shelter of yers in the terraced end?

As for the viewing of the game, at least you are close enough to the pitch at FP, to make out the players.

Anywhoo, If its in Ballybofey, Derry or Cobh, the home team won the draw/ coin toss, so this sh!te aint goin to change a thing.

kev mcq
24/10/2007, 1:28 PM

Well the thing about Finn Park is that on tv you can see the crowd in the stand as well as behind the goals, especially the town end, which has been packed for the last nuber of games. In he Brandywell, you can not see any of the crowd because they are so far from the pitch, so I honestly think Finn Park looks better if anyhting

fbtn
24/10/2007, 3:03 PM
So your biggest game of the year crowd-wise, and you still couldn't sell it out ? :eek: But you still think Finn Park would have a bigger crowd for a one-legged play-off than the Brandywell...?

P.S. Subtle clue as to why I wasn't there. Look at the top right-hand side of every single post I make.... :)

Where did I say that we'd have a bigger crowd in Finn Park than if the match was played at the Brandywell? Subtle clue - I didn't. :rolleyes:

Take your time reading it this time...... There would be well over 5000 in Finn Park for it is what I said.

CollegeTillIDie
24/10/2007, 3:39 PM
Ok Harps and Derry fans neither of your grounds is so crap that it couldn't be hidden by a capacity crowd.. satisfied? :D

Sam_Heggy
24/10/2007, 3:44 PM
Ok Harps and Derry fans neither of your grounds is so crap that it couldn't be hidden by a capacity crowd.. satisfied? :D

yup :D

CollegeTillIDie
24/10/2007, 3:49 PM
Well stuff the joint wherever the playoff is held :D

dcfcsteve
24/10/2007, 5:12 PM

Deal ! :)

You free to start on that Middle East issue at some point....? :D

dortie
24/10/2007, 8:30 PM

No odds to me where it is, we will beat them as usual, can someone come up with the statistics, dont think there is any derby in the world with the win stats we have over Harps, almost guinness book of records stuff if you ask me.