PDA

View Full Version : Will Staunton be first?

Pages : [1] 2

Ozymandias
23/10/2007, 9:45 AM
will staunton be first to be sacked today or will Martin Jol beat him to it.

would we be interested in marting Jol even?....

funny ole game saint

Sligo Hornet
23/10/2007, 9:55 AM
will staunton be first to be sacked today or will Martin Jol beat him to it.

would we be interested in marting Jol even?....

funny ole game saint

Isn't that illegal?;)

passinginterest
23/10/2007, 10:01 AM
I think Martin Jol would be a great choice if he was interested in the job. He seems to get the best out of Robbie Keane anyway. His teams play relatively good football and he's done well with Spurs before this season.

citizenerased
23/10/2007, 10:02 AM
jol will be gone first, the fai meeting isnt till 6 pm

IsMiseSean
23/10/2007, 10:17 AM
the fai meeting isnt till 6 pm

Will there be an annoument this evening so? Or will we have one more night under Stan's leadership :rolleyes:

shakermaker1982
23/10/2007, 10:25 AM
I wouldn't mind Jol but he'd head back to Holland if he has any sense.

blobbyblob
23/10/2007, 3:48 PM
Anyone know what time this meeting is kicking off at today?

Likely to carry on for a while I suppose.

EastTerracer
23/10/2007, 6:30 PM
Anyone know what time this meeting is kicking off at today?

Likely to carry on for a while I suppose.

6.30 start in a "4-star hotel" in Santry (the Crowne Plaza presumably).

According to Liam Mackey on TodayFM a while ago Staunton has been invited to the meeting to give his side of the story.

Tony O'Donoghue on the 9 o'clock news tends to be the usual forum for these announcements.

SUB of the day
23/10/2007, 7:01 PM
:mad:Stan at Hotel,are the FAI about to give two fingers to the fans and media?

SUB of the day
23/10/2007, 7:07 PM
I smell a rat,surely announcing his departure in a short statement would suffice?

NeilMcD
23/10/2007, 7:14 PM
To be fair, they board have to meet and they have to decide on the future. That is the rules of the FAI. Its not their fault its a bit Media Scrum. So I dont think they could just release a statement. Also they have obviously decided that Staunton deserves to know before any of the media do and the best way is to have him their for the meeting and let him present his case. They will then discuss that and vote against him. They will let him know and then release a statement in time for the 9 o clock news.

Brian Kerr should have at least got the same treatment as Staunton did.

mypost
23/10/2007, 7:15 PM
Oh to be a fly on the wall. I can just hear that big dopey Dundalk accent now . . . . "Cyprus will upset a few teams in this group" :0)

This the same Cyprus that Wales beat 3-0 at home, and Slovakia beat at home 7-1, yes?? :confused:

NeilMcD
23/10/2007, 7:17 PM
It was actually 6 1 but your point is correct.

NeilMcD
23/10/2007, 7:18 PM
Just looked and San Marino are the only team to have scored less goals than us in the group.

NeilMcD
23/10/2007, 7:44 PM
They are after pulling a fast one on the media, and they are not in Santry at all at the Crowne Plaza. At least they got that right and they have been able to have the meeting out of the glare of the media.

NeilMcD
23/10/2007, 7:48 PM
Staunton has had his meeting in the Raddisson which lasted about half an hour. That meeting has now finished at the Board are now in a different hotel having a final meeting.

Drumcondra 69er
No meeting in the Crown Plaza, total ruse from the FAI to spare Stan the media, they met him in the Radison in Dublin airport!! Meeting with him over, they're still meeting at present.

That won't win them any friends in the media (as if they had any) but you have to laugh at it really!!

backstothewall
They might wait until tomorrow and try and to smuggle it out under the cover of Celtic

NeilMcD
23/10/2007, 7:49 PM
I think they did the right think and I would say **** the media in this instance. I usually think that you need to work with the media but in times like this it is important to get a bit of privacy for Staunton and the members to come in and out of the hotel with out a media scrum on top of them.

NeilMcD
23/10/2007, 8:01 PM
Tuff Paddy I am not fan of his at all and I am dying to see him go but I think it is better for all concerned if it is done out of the glare of the media if possible so I would say fair play to whoever came up with the plan to pull a fast one on the media tonight. Although I doubt the press guys are too happy about it.

Fergie's Son
23/10/2007, 8:05 PM
Any word on what happened in that meeting?

jbyrne
23/10/2007, 8:06 PM
That won't win them any friends in the media (as if they had any) but you have to laugh at it really!!

couldnt give a hoot about the media and their feelings. they are a total non-event in the whole thing despite them indulging in thinking otherwise

Noelys Guitar
23/10/2007, 8:17 PM
This is the FAI so don't rule anything out. Including the "gaffer" being made the asistant "gaffer". Or some type of dual management nonsense. Just hurry up and announce hes gone or else my imagination will come up with even worse scenario's.

Superhoops
23/10/2007, 8:21 PM
couldnt give a hoot about the media and their feelings. they are a total non-event in the whole thing despite them indulging in thinking otherwise
Agree 100%

Just watched Tony O'Donoghue on RTE News pontificating that because of the way the FAI has conducted their business this evening (i.e. giving the media circus the run around!) is hardly likely to improve relations with the media. He also seems to think the media is how the FAI 'communicates with the fans'.

Such boll*cks. These press/TV and radio guys sure have a high opinion of themselves. I don't see why the FAI or Steve Staunton should co-operate with them at all after some of the OTT stuff the media have come out with over the last year or so. :mad:

Superhoops
23/10/2007, 8:28 PM
If it hadn't been for the media coverage none of this would be happening. Don't kid yourselves that the FAI care about fans.
Whatever else they are the FAI are not so stupid that they do not recognise it is the fans and not the media who are one of their main revenue streams.

These media wallahs don't buy a single match ticket!

Paddy Garcia
23/10/2007, 8:28 PM
So we should be sparing the guy's blushes? So he can run off with his pay-off in his back pocket and surface at Oxford United in December?

That's a scurillous remark about Oxford United. I can tell you they have far higher standards.

Lionel Ritchie
23/10/2007, 8:29 PM
I've no interest in seeing Stans guts on the floor. Tell him it's over and let him slip away quietly. Tough titty on the newspapers etc...

I think the FAI are probably right to give them the slip if at all possible and let them get p1ssy eyed about it if they want to. I think it's evident from the experience in other countries (England) that if you let them in too close they'll not only presume on it but will see themselves as holding the national team in trust for the nation.

JimmyP
23/10/2007, 8:29 PM
There's going to be a press conference in the next hour, so says RTE News.

DeNiro
23/10/2007, 8:34 PM
I just wish someone would confirm his departure. It's a bitter end.

Fergie's Son
23/10/2007, 8:40 PM
Well it's 9:40 in Dublin so will be curious to hear what's going on.

shakermaker1982
still no word? Someone put the guy out of his misery! Let him get the first flight back to his home in the UK and let him enjoy the rest of his life.

Superhoops
I've no interest in seeing Stans guts on the floor. Tell him it's over and let him slip away quietly. Tough titty on the newspapers etc...

I think the FAI are probably right to give them the slip if at all possible and let them get p1ssy eyed about it if they want to. I think it's evident from the experience in other countries (England) that if you let them in too close they'll not only presume on it but will see themselves as holding the national team in trust for the nation.
They already see themselves in that role.

Perhaps the FAI should offer the job as manager to the likes of Paul Lennon, Dion Fanning or Daniel McDonnell. They would run a mile!

NeilMcD
23/10/2007, 8:44 PM
To be fair Daniel Mc Donnell and Paul Lennon have been alright. Its Fanning who is the dick, along with Cathal Dervan. Liam Mackey is one of the best.

DeNiro
23/10/2007, 8:44 PM
Imagine if he wasn't sacked!

Marked Man
23/10/2007, 8:46 PM
Only 8.40 according to foot.ie.

shakermaker1982
23/10/2007, 8:46 PM
Imagine if he wasn't sacked!

and given an additional 2 year contract?:D:confused:

DeNiro
23/10/2007, 8:47 PM
I was going to put one of these :D beside my comment but it would actually be more like :mad: if he wasn't!

NeilMcD
23/10/2007, 8:53 PM
Its going to be at the Crowne Plaza. You will be glad to know Tuff Paddy that Dunphy agrees totally with you. I bet you are glad to know you share the same opinion as the Great Eamon !!!!"

Noelys Guitar
23/10/2007, 8:55 PM
John Delaney announced as new Ireland manager with the "bowel" Michael cody as "International consulant". Steve Staunton to take over from Tony Hickey as head of security.

NeilMcD
23/10/2007, 9:01 PM
Sorry I should have said on the media circus. Brady was basically saying the same as what I was, that the FAI did the right thing by protecting Staunton from a media circus. Dunphy was saying it shows what a shambles the FAI is and what a childish organisation it is by playing games with the media.

Colbert Report
23/10/2007, 9:07 PM
still no word on a press conference?

NeilMcD
23/10/2007, 9:12 PM
Press conference to happen some time later tonigth as confirmed by the press officer with the FAI.

Colbert Report
23/10/2007, 9:13 PM
Does anyone know of a video or radio feed of this event? I can't get RTE to play when I go to rte.ie - I'm in Canada right now.

NeilMcD
23/10/2007, 9:15 PM
Prime Time has Frank Stapleton on ha ha !!! I miss the box on his head. They should have Barry Murphy.

Saint07
23/10/2007, 9:27 PM
Tony O'D just on saying press conference on tonight for defo. I wonder if its on during a programme will they do "we must interupt this bordcast for some important news"

NeilMcD
23/10/2007, 9:32 PM
News Two will probably have it I would reckon.

NeilMcD
23/10/2007, 9:51 PM
I see big Mick has given Stan his full backing and has had a go at ex players and ex colleagues who have been calling for Staunton to resign. I think Mick Mc Carthy is big into his loyalty etc and I would say he would be a great mate but these ex colleagues have a job to do and they have to call it as they see it.

dfx-
23/10/2007, 9:51 PM
I don't think I'd ever stop laughing if I heard something like "we have reviewed the situation in great detail and the comm-itt-eeee see no reason to alter the direction of management at this time."

NeilMcD
23/10/2007, 9:52 PM
I dont think I would ever stop crying.

eirebhoy
23/10/2007, 10:00 PM
The press conference will be shown live on RTE tonight. It better not be too late as I need my sleep.