PDA

View Full Version : Stauntons Pay Off

Pages : [1] 2

Billsthoughts
23/10/2007, 9:32 AM
I started a new thread for this cause I think its a seperate issue to The Steve Staunton discussion thread.....but....

What do people think of staunton holding out for 800,000€ owed on the remainder of his contract? Surely this money could be put to better use in Irish football. It could be spent on any number of things. From schoolboys up to Eircom League. Apparently he is a very well off individual as is. Why should he take a substantial sum out of Irish Football on what is basically him taking a huff with Delaney for not sticking by him.

Think Staunton made a complete balls of the Irish managers job and doesnt deserve any pay off regardless of whatever contract he had. I had a bit of sympathy for him up til now but think he should do the decent thing and resign without a pay off.

Sheridan
23/10/2007, 9:36 AM
Would you? He's got a contract, he should get what's due to him just as any employee should. Yes, the money could, would and should be better spent on domestic football but it was going to be spunked on the national team regardless of whether a pay-off was incurred or not.

macdermesser
23/10/2007, 9:38 AM
Why should he let the FAI off the hook? They were the people who in their wisdom gave a four year contract .. 4 years !!!!! .... to a complete novice, giving him a salary worth more than many managers in World Football?

Whatever about his incompetence as a manager .. the person(s) who employed are guilty of even greater incompetence.

If any of us here were in Stan's position, I'm not sure we'd be keen to be so generous as to give money to our employer for sacking us.

paul_oshea
23/10/2007, 9:44 AM
i still dont understand how a person can be paid for more than he has worked, teh whole idea of Contracting or being tied to a contract is you are paid for the time you have worked.....this makes absoloutely no sense to me that staunton under-achieving gets the boot, yet he stilll gets paid for not being in the position....

Sligo Hornet
23/10/2007, 9:53 AM
i still dont understand how a person can be paid for more than he has worked, teh whole idea of Contracting or being tied to a contract is you are paid for the time you have worked.....this makes absoloutely no sense to me that staunton under-achieving gets the boot, yet he stilll gets paid for not being in the position....

You're right Paul.....doesn't make sense in any other profession....except in Football, where failure is rewarded ( with the paying off of a contract in full ).......pure NONSENSE:mad:....but eh....that's football!!:eek:

Dodge
23/10/2007, 10:06 AM

Its probably because there was no target/outcome set in his contract, and therefore he can't be sacked. If the FAI want to break the contract, they must pay for it...

Dotsy
23/10/2007, 10:11 AM
Its probably because there was no target/outcome set in his contract, and therefore he can't be sacked. If the FAI want to break the contract, they must pay for it...

Exactly. FAI incompetence again:mad:. Just pay the man what he is owed under the contact he signed and lets move on.

paul_oshea
23/10/2007, 10:15 AM

well, how thick are they. Do they never learn. In fairness to set out objectives would not be undermining your faith in a manager just being realistic.

BTW, how much in total including kelly, byrne, macdonald, staunton and robson are they FAI paying a year?

Dodge
23/10/2007, 10:21 AM
BTW, how much in total including kelly, byrne, macdonald, staunton and robson are they FAI paying a year?

Devlin, Givens...

Wolfie
23/10/2007, 10:27 AM
There were unsubstantiated figures mentioned in the weekends press of 6m over 4 years to the successor.

Regardless of who we get, the contract should be an initial fixed term of 2 years with a review of progress at that stage.

elroy
23/10/2007, 11:29 AM
Agree with Wolfie, two year contract with a two year option. Thats the approach that shouldve been followed with Stan as well. The FAI must learn some lessons from this mess.

Considering the FA were paying Eriksson for a long time after he left the england i reckon stan will be paid for his two years unfulfilled on his contract.

Billsthoughts
23/10/2007, 11:30 AM
Would you? He's got a contract, he should get what's due to him just as any employee should. Yes, the money could, would and should be better spent on domestic football but it was going to be spunked on the national team regardless of whether a pay-off was incurred or not.

well if I had a rake of cash already and made a complete sham of the job I was paid hansomely to do then I would have the decency to resign.

Claret Murph
23/10/2007, 11:47 AM
Wolfie has it spot on , whoever we get a two year term is the max and then they can look at it after the World cup and so on .:ball:

BaZmO*
23/10/2007, 11:53 AM
I started a new thread for this cause I think its a seperate issue to The Steve Staunton discussion thread.....but....

What do people think of staunton holding out for 800,000€ owed on the remainder of his contract? Surely this money could be put to better use in Irish football. It could be spent on any number of things. From schoolboys up to Eircom League. Apparently he is a very well off individual as is. Why should he take a substantial sum out of Irish Football on what is basically him taking a huff with Delaney for not sticking by him.

Think Staunton made a complete balls of the Irish managers job and doesnt deserve any pay off regardless of whatever contract he had. I had a bit of sympathy for him up til now but think he should do the decent thing and resign without a pay off.
Huh? What's it look up there in cloud cuckoo land?

Staunton may have made a total balls up of his tenure as the Ireland Manager but he signed a contract with the clowns in the FAI and as it's them that are terminating his contract he is every bit entitled to a severance package. I'm sure you'd do the same if you were in his position.

galwayhoop
23/10/2007, 12:04 PM
he is fully entitled to the remaining money due to him for the remainder of his contract.

I would love to be a fly on the wall when they start talking about his pay off:

Delaney: Alright Stan, it didn't work out and we all need to move on.
Stan:We all know that.
Delaney: Ok so, exactly how much do we need to pay you to step aside in the interests of Irish Football?
Stan: You tell me!!!:)

Billsthoughts
23/10/2007, 12:42 PM

Staunton may have made a total balls up of his tenure as the Ireland Manager but he signed a contract with the clowns in the FAI and as it's them that are terminating his contract he is every bit entitled to a severance package. I'm sure you'd do the same if you were in his position.

yeah I understand the nature of contracts I was just making a point about the morals of a) extracting money that can be better used elsewhere for work you have not done and b) especially given you made such a mess of the job in the first place. For FAI read everyone involved in football looking for cash.
So you can save your stupid comments. idiot.

Ireland4ever
23/10/2007, 12:44 PM
He's got a contract, he should get what's due to him just as any employee should.

But he's not any old employee and its not a normal job. He's in charge of our national team, and if he had any sort of honour and love for his country he would resign and forfeit any payment, he would gain a hell of a lot of respect if he did so....Otherwise it will leave a bitter taste in peoples mouths regarding our most capped player.

fergalr
23/10/2007, 12:48 PM
Staunton has every right to hold out for his pay-off but, in contrast, Kevin Keegan had the decency and honesty to hold up his hands, admit he wasn't up to he job of managing his country and walk there and then.

BaZmO*
23/10/2007, 12:49 PM
yeah I understand the nature of contracts I was just making a point about the morals of a) extracting money that can be better used elsewhere for work you have not done and b) especially given you made such a mess of the job in the first place. For FAI read everyone involved in football looking for cash.
So you can save your stupid comments. idiot.
No need for insults Bill.

Staunton may have made a mess so far but I'm sure he feels that his employers are letting him down by not giving him the chance to put things right by allowing him to stay in charge for the rest of his contract.

I'm sure he'd rather stay in charge to the end of his contract rather than be paid off so he's doing nothing immoral by receiving a pay off. He just been compensated for not being allowed to put things right (in his eyes).

Ireland4ever
23/10/2007, 12:57 PM

Staunton may have made a mess so far but I'm sure he feels that his employers are letting him down by not giving him the chance to put things right by allowing him to stay in charge for the rest of his contract.

I'm sure he'd rather stay in charge to the end of his contract rather than be paid off so he's doing nothing immoral by receiving a pay off. He just been compensated for not being allowed to put things right (in his eyes).

Surely Stan knows that NO-ONE in the country wants him to stay. he's been in the football world to realise that things have gone to far, with results and all, and that it is an impossible task to turn things around at this stage. He should do the decent thing and re-sign a la Keegan for England. Its as simple as that.

Wolfie
23/10/2007, 1:00 PM
Even on a moral level, if any semblance of Stauntons being had considered forfeiting payment - that moment has passed.

Delaney's weasel words and side step last week would ensure Staunton makes bloody sure he collects.

anto1208
23/10/2007, 1:00 PM
Stan has every right to hold out for the cash they promised to pay him, Anyone that thinks that the money would be spent on football is deluded in fairness the FAI would just waste it .

The rumours about 6mill to a manager over 4 years . If you look at Sven he got 5 mill a year at england so the Fai will only be able to afford another mickey mouse manager that will be able to do nothing with the hand full of talented players left he will loose and get the sack and it will all start again .

PEoples expectations are way too high Ireland the team the set up everything about football in ireland is screwed up.

Expect David o leary or John Aldridge to get the job are they an improvment on stan i dont think so

BaZmO*
23/10/2007, 1:01 PM
Surely Stan knows that NO-ONE in the country wants him to stay. he's been in the football world to realise that things have gone to far, with results and all, and that it is an impossible task to turn things around at this stage. He should do the decent thing and re-sign a la Keegan for England. Its as simple as that.
Oh I agree, he should leave but I bet he still thinks he can put it right.

drummerboy
23/10/2007, 1:02 PM
Can't blame him for holding out for the full contract. After all, he will never work again in football after such an appalling attempt to pass himself off as a coach. Perhaps now he will do a basic coaching coarse, and get involved with the grass roots of the game and put something worthwhile back into the game.

Noelys Guitar
23/10/2007, 1:02 PM
He has stated in the past that the "buck stops with him. He's the gaffer". Then he should resign. It is the fans money he is taking not Delaney's. Giles resigned and so did Keegan without payoffs.

Billsthoughts
23/10/2007, 1:06 PM

indeed.....

Irish_Praha
23/10/2007, 1:07 PM
It is the fans money he is taking not Delaney's. Giles resigned and so did Keegan without payoffs.

McCarthy too?

BaZmO*
23/10/2007, 1:22 PM
indeed.....
Two totally different things.

youngirish
23/10/2007, 1:51 PM
If any one of you on here got sacked for being inept and unablee to do the job you were taken on for, how much would you get?
Staunton should get the same. Nothing.
I agree he shouldn't get a penny but unfortunately he will. His reign has been an absolute disaster for our team. Here's hoping we are in the final moments of it. He should have bit the bullet and resigned long ago. I've no sympathy for the man irrespective of his ability as a player.

Hopefully Delaney will follow suit and Givens will be removed from his post as U21 manager and we can start getting back on the long road to recovery.

NeilMcD
23/10/2007, 2:00 PM
The problem, is as far as I can see it. Most people in most industries sign contracts with Performance indicators, and the contract is only paid when these performance indicators are achieved. If the person does not achieve these, he does not get paid and the contract can be terminated.

However as Dodge pointed out before, these performance indicators did no exist in Stauntons case and his contract was purely a timed based one, so all he had to do was survive the 4 years and he would be paid.

Its time we started introducing some sort of performance indicators into the contracts we offer to international managers in my view.

Noelys Guitar
23/10/2007, 2:30 PM
Going off on a tangent here where do you see Stan ending up? I see a non-league type job with Droylsden in whatever league is below the Blue Square Premiership next season. And I'm not joking here either.

Wolfie
23/10/2007, 2:33 PM
Going off on a tangent here where do you see Stan ending up? I see a non-league type job with Droylsden in whatever league is below the Blue Square Premiership next season. And I'm not joking here either.

"Who knows!!"

ifk101
23/10/2007, 2:34 PM
Its time we started introducing some sort of performance indicators into the contracts we offer to international managers in my view.

I'm sure they exist already. Qualification for a major tournament would I suspect give the "gaffer" a nice little bonus.

NeilMcD
23/10/2007, 2:36 PM
YEah but thats the carrot there does not seem to be a stick side of it also. I am not saying you should qualify or get the sack. But you should have a system where they contract is up for re-negotiation if the performances on the pitch are not up to scratch.

Noelys Guitar
23/10/2007, 2:38 PM
Why did Delaney offer Staunton a 4 year contract. That is the first question Delaney should be asked. The second being why did he offer himself a 6 year one. It just makes no sense.

Dodge
23/10/2007, 2:40 PM
What I'm struggling to understand is why he has to get any money at all? He was useless and he should just be sacked. End of.

If you can't understand it, would you not just relax and stop continually comment on it. The reasons for the pay off are clearly explained. it doesn't matter if you don't agree with them

ifk101
23/10/2007, 2:47 PM
YEah but thats the carrot there does not seem to be a stick side of it also. I am not saying you should qualify or get the sack. But you should have a system where they contract is up for re-negotiation if the performances on the pitch are not up to scratch.

Yes - contracts should be 2 years max. Perfomance and incentive to keep your job long-term are there with shorter contracts and a short contract ends the building for the future waffle. A capable U21 manager should also be employed to step into the senior position if needed as the risk with a short-term contract is that a good manager will find work elsewhere.

osarusan
23/10/2007, 2:47 PM
People need to stop going on about "work not done" or "he didn't do the job he was paid to do".

As Dodge has pointed out, there were no performance-based criteria in his contract. He was hired and paid to manage the national team, and he has done that. Qualifying for tournaments/beating minnows/minimum number of points were not criteria, so he is not falling short of what his contract asked, and therefore is entitled to a payoff.

Now, if you ask why a complete novice was given a 4 year contract on big money with no performance-based criteria...........that is not Stan's fault, just a blessing for him.

Noelys Guitar
23/10/2007, 3:01 PM
Remember the controversy over McCarthy's contract. During WC2002 Delaney had allegedly offered McCarthy an extension of his contract. "Verbal aggreement" later denied by Delaney.

BaZmO*
23/10/2007, 3:04 PM
How much was Bobby Robson paid for his 2 years?

NeilMcD
23/10/2007, 3:20 PM
half a million as far as I know without seeing bank accounts.

BaZmO*
23/10/2007, 3:34 PM
Great work if you can get it!

NeilMcD
23/10/2007, 3:51 PM
Ahhh to be fair he has been off fighting cancer, not great work I think he would rather be workign to be fair. If I was off fighting cancer I would still get paid as would many people who post on this.

NeilMcD
23/10/2007, 4:04 PM
Just watched Tony OD on the RTE news at 1 and he said that the meeting is due to start at 6.30 but that this afternoon they have been working on some way that Staunton could still be involved in Irish football someway. Not sure what exactly he meant by this but I wonder would they give him the U21 job.

Ireland4ever
23/10/2007, 4:16 PM
Just watched Tony OD on the RTE news at 1 and he said that the meeting is due to start at 6.30 but that this afternoon they have been working on some way that Staunton could still be involved in Irish football someway. Not sure what exactly he meant by this but I wonder would they give him the U21 job.

Paul Merson always praised his ability to put the cones out for training:D, apart from that, Stan should be no-where near the international teams!

carloz
23/10/2007, 4:22 PM
Thats where the guy should have bloody well started, the under 21s. From that we could have seen if he was suitable as an international manager. I have said it before so many times on this forum but we have to start using our under 21s as a stepping stone. Having the unsackable Don Givens continously in that position is stupid beyond comprehension

Ireland4ever
23/10/2007, 4:30 PM
Thats where the guy should have bloody well started, the under 21s. From that we could have seen if he was suitable as an international manager. I have said it before so many times on this forum but we have to start using our under 21s as a stepping stone. Having the unsackable Don Givens continously in that position is stupid beyond comprehension

Or else we could just try and get the best manager for the job and not be messing with the u-21s as well as the senior team?!

carloz
23/10/2007, 5:17 PM
Or else we could just try and get the best manager for the job and not be messing with the u-21s as well as the senior team?!

Who siaid anything about messing with the under 21s. i said give the job to a person that people could possibly see one day managing the full team. I fail to see the benefit of having Don Givens there

Noelys Guitar
23/10/2007, 5:19 PM

Is Delaney trying to force Stan onto the new manager as assistant "gaffer"?

backstothewall
23/10/2007, 6:05 PM
I would say there are some interesting negotiations going on.

Delaney will be trying to buy his silence. The rest of the board will be looking for as cheap a pay off as possible.

If he is smart he will play them against each other, but then if he was smart he would probably not have given Jonathan Douglas all those games