PDA

View Full Version : Quick question-opinion needed

sligoman
21/10/2007, 9:39 PM
Had a discussion with a friend last week and he said he was going to go somewhere[Longford] but now he's saying he's not. By him saying "I'll go next week" would you class that as a promise that he'll go or not? Sounds weird but hopefully ye'll understand:D

DmanDmythDledge
21/10/2007, 9:42 PM
Does this have something to do with Ian Wexler?:D

About the question, depends what the conversation was like. If it was "ah yeah I'll go" I wouldn't consider that a promise. Still voted yes though.:D

sligoman
21/10/2007, 9:46 PM
Does this have something to do with Ian Wexler?:DIn a way, I suppose it does:D.

One of the lads who didn't go to Longford with us last week said "I'll go to the one next week"[Bray tomorrow] but now he's decided not to go. So him saying "I'll go next week", is that classed as a promise? He claims it's not, I claim it is:p

osarusan
22/10/2007, 12:46 AM
depends how it was said.........

In the middle of a discussion of the issue -

sligoman: "Are you sure you're gonna go next week?"
Sligoman's friend : "I'll go next week."

This is a promise..............................but-

Sligoman: "Want to go to a Rovers game sometime?"
Sligoman's friend: "Ah.....yeah.....I'll go next week".

This is not a promise.

sligoman
22/10/2007, 11:52 AM
Looking at the results...Anto McC, Ash, Bluebeard, BohsPartisan, drinkfeckarse, gustavo, osarusan, Red&White Rover...ye are all on my enemy list:mad: :p.

Magicme
22/10/2007, 11:53 AM
Only voted "not" coz I see it gets you onto Sligoman's enemy list.....

jebus
22/10/2007, 12:36 PM
Not - I'm forever saying I'll do something and then just not bothering my arse to do so, doesn't mean I've broken a thousand promises though, just a lot of hearts:p

Dodge
22/10/2007, 12:45 PM
WTF sligoman, are you trying to get every man ever in the history of the world in trouble with their missus?

"I'll do it next week" in man terms means "I don't want to talk about it right now. I might go, I might not go. I'll see how I'm feeling"

Maybe you should change your name to sligobitch? On the other hand your mate sounds like a **** for not wanting to go to the football, so maybe you shouldn't be mates with him?

Sheridan
22/10/2007, 1:29 PM
As far as I'm concerned, a tacit agreement a week in advance doesn't constitute a promise. Normally you get in touch to confirm the day before. If they don't show up thereafter you can feel aggrieved.

Green Tribe
22/10/2007, 1:45 PM
you should've asked your friend "honey do you promise you'll go to the game next week, hmm hmm hmm???!!
:D

sligoman
22/10/2007, 3:36 PM
WTF sligoman, are you trying to get every man ever in the history of the world in trouble with their missus?No, just trying to make him feel guilty and prove a point but judging by the votes, 90% of ye are wrong:D

Green Tribe
22/10/2007, 3:46 PM
WTF sligoman, are you trying to get every man ever in the history of the world in trouble with their missus?

"I'll do it next week" in man terms means "I don't want to talk about it right now. I might go, I might not go. I'll see how I'm feeling"

Maybe you should change your name to sligobitch? On the other hand your mate sounds like a **** for not wanting to go to the football, so maybe you shouldn't be mates with him?

post of the month :D

dfx-
22/10/2007, 4:01 PM

I was going to vote yes for the sake of it until I read this very valid point.

superfrank
22/10/2007, 4:14 PM
Promises should be kept but in sligoman's story I don't think it's a promise.

So I'm not voting.

kingdom hoop
22/10/2007, 4:38 PM
So I'm not voting.

Damn fence sitter!

You'll be happy to know though that I can give official confirmation that this was not a promise, as according to Section 48.2 of the Making Promises to Friends Act 1878 one must explicitly state the word 'promise' in a non-sarcastic tone for a statement to be construed as being a promise, and only then can the correlative reprimanding take place. :rolleyes: I just can't understand why people don't look up the legislation before asking these questions. :mad:

Bluebeard
23/10/2007, 9:07 AM
Damn fence sitter!

You'll be happy to know though that I can give official confirmation that this was not a promise, as according to Section 48.2 of the Making Promises to Friends Act 1878 one must explicitly state the word 'promise' in a non-sarcastic tone for a statement to be construed as being a promise, and only then can the correlative reprimanding take place. :rolleyes: I just can't understand why people don't look up the legislation before asking these questions. :mad:

Was this not recinded as a subsection of the 1937 Get The Brits Out Of The Constitution Act on the basis of the fact that we have re-instated the right as Irish citizens to be able to overturn the most serious misdeed by saying, "Ah sure I was only messin'!"
E.g.
Ireland, did you not tell the Jews to go back to Germany in the late 1930s?
Ah, sure we were only messin'! Would ya relax - yer fierce uptight for an international court of Justice.

Or
Dev, did you just tell some of my ministers that they could go and start making plans to invade the North?
Jaysus Lemass, sure I was only messin'!

Bertie, didn't you promise top grade health facilities, good education, an end to poverty, a world class football stadium,an improvement in public transport, and shiney new buttons for every person in the land...
etc...

However, Dev was short on time, so that there are numerous lacunae along the lines that mean a promise is worth little. Other holes are in the accountability of our politicians, a failure to ensure against our sporting teams blowing up when favourites, the lack of a prohibition on gingah gaffuhs in important positions and the absence of a death penalty for producers of poorly thought through sit-coms, things you would find in most modern European states, and all part of the abandoned EU constitution.

However, there is no longer any reference to King George the Seventh!

Bluebeard
23/10/2007, 9:09 AM
Looking at the results...Anto McC, Ash, Bluebeard, BohsPartisan, drinkfeckarse, gustavo, osarusan, Red&White Rover...ye are all on my enemy list:mad: :p.

Two Points:
1. Why hold a poll where you already have the answer you want?
2. You were on our lists years ago :p