PDA

View Full Version : Town History

Keen2win
21/10/2007, 11:52 AM
Unfortunatly im not old enough to remember much of the Towns history. What was it like before the Stand was put up. Did many people go to the matches, was there much vocal support etc. Is there anyone who supported them in the late 80's. Any info is appreciated.

Martinho II
21/10/2007, 6:03 PM
Unfortunatly im not old enough to remember much of the Towns history. What was it like before the Stand was put up. Did many people go to the matches, was there much vocal support etc. Is there anyone who supported them in the late 80's. Any info is appreciated.

the atmosphere before the stand was muted.. a few people congregated around the old guinness stand at the town end some people congregated in the small roof which covered section j to u.. there was never a organised vocal support in those days cos we were crap...

i have followed them for nearly twenty years now! first match i saw was in abbeycartron in the 89-90 season have being goin since..

hope this helps keen2win!

Ronnie
23/10/2007, 8:33 AM
Stand was put up when we got promoted. If fact the ground was transformed in a few months after promotion, from an open grass area where stand is now, a covered stand at the town end goals and a kind of covered thing riunning the length of the far side.

Macy
23/10/2007, 11:59 AM
Stand was put up when we got promoted. If fact the ground was transformed in a few months after promotion, from an open grass area where stand is now, a covered stand at the town end goals and a kind of covered thing riunning the length of the far side.
Too much too soon. No need for the massive levelling that went on - should have kept the covered terrace down the side for at least that season. Infact, in hindsight the whole rush job was a bit of a fook up both design wise and financially.

max power
23/10/2007, 12:23 PM
Too much too soon. No need for the massive levelling that went on - should have kept the covered terrace down the side for at least that season. Infact, in hindsight the whole rush job was a bit of a fook up both design wise and financially.

i think wanting to play at home in europe was the key to the big push, but was it worth it in the end ???? the back end has to be knocked for a start.

RonnieB
23/10/2007, 12:54 PM
It does look a tad unsteady alright :)

Macy
23/10/2007, 12:56 PM
i think wanting to play at home in europe was the key to the big push, but was it worth it in the end ???? the back end has to be knocked for a start.
Not when it wasn't even filled, which it has to be said is partly down to the pricing structure. Even if the stand and the town side had been finished and left the ends open or terraced.

imo, the stand is on the wrong side. biggest mistake is undoubtable the length of the pitch - even if we'd got passed Lovech the next game would've had to be moved, never mind under current regulations!

max power
23/10/2007, 1:05 PM
it has to be knocked to make the pitch longer. i see what you say macy about the stand. Even if only for weather reasons.

Macy
23/10/2007, 1:13 PM
it has to be knocked to make the pitch longer. i see what you say macy about the stand. Even if only for weather reasons.
Into the prevailing wind is a big mistake. I could never get my head around them having to shift basically a hill out of the way, when that could've been used as a base for a stand whether opened or covered (as in Richmond Park). It would've also been more use next to the astro pitches/ second pitch who could've used the dressing rooms, jacks, tea room, (and bar :eek::D ).