PDA

View Full Version : The FAI's choice of new manager

Noelys Guitar
21/10/2007, 11:29 AM
Not your own personal choice. Who do you believe the FAI will end up choosing? I believe they will go for Kenny Daglish.

eirebhoy
21/10/2007, 11:43 AM
And according to the Indo's breaking news 4 of the 10 man board want Stan to stay!
It just says 6 of them want Stan gone. Maybe they don't know the opinions of the other 4. The same paper also say that Delaney wanted Troussier to be appointed at the time they appointed Kerr. I thought it was supposed to be Bryan Robson that Delaney wanted?

back of the net
21/10/2007, 11:44 AM
Not your own personal choice. Who do you believe the FAI will end up choosing? I believe they will go for Kenny Daglish. And according to the Indo's breaking news 4 of the 10 man board want Stan to stay!
http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/sport/soccer/stan-may-get-the-boot-today-1200700.html

eddie o sullivan, paul caffrey , barry mcguigan , - god knows who they will choose mate - have given up on guessing what those idiots will do

ideally - i would like venables / continental manager - but mate its the FAI - so it will prob be roddy collins )-:

back of the net
21/10/2007, 11:45 AM
It just says 6 of them want Stan gone. Maybe they don't know the opinions of the other 4. The same paper also say that Delaney wanted Troussier to be appointed at the time they appointed Kerr. I thought it was supposed to be Bryan Robson that Delaney wanted?

my fear with troussier is that if he could only stay for the short term

hence no progression

carloz
21/10/2007, 12:57 PM
Didnt Delaney want Troussier with Kerr assistant. That might have actually worked.
I have no idea who they will go for but id be fairly sure they will pick someone that most of us wont want

Irish_Praha
21/10/2007, 1:29 PM
I have no idea who they will go for but id be fairly sure they will pick someone that most of us wont want

Of course there would be lots of candidates that would rightly get a big NO from most people (Souness, Robson, Venables, another Stan-like character) but as ever no matter who they choose will have a large section of media/fans/pundits against their appointment from the off. All the arguments would be rolled out "He should be Irish" "He has no international experience" "He's getting paid too much, we could have gotten someone much better for the money" "I don't like his accent" "He got my club relegated" "He was a cr@p player" and so on. We can only hope that one year down the line that it is clear that whoever it is, is fit for the job and only the likes of Dumpy and the odd media hack will still be complaining. I think it's safe to say that the majority of us disagreed with the appointment of Staunton at the start but once there was nothing we could do about it we hoped/dreamed that he would quickly grow into the role but that unfortunately didn't happen. Due to Staunton's failure not many people would be able dream/hope that yet another inexperienced manager would develop into a top international manager within a few years.
At this stage someone like Wenger would be the only type of manager that would get anything like 90% support from the start. As if anything like that would happen :p

Hibs4Ever
21/10/2007, 3:44 PM
I think FAI will choose O'Leary, the best cheapest option

NeilMcD
21/10/2007, 3:52 PM
But what about the poor babies.

Noelys Guitar
21/10/2007, 4:06 PM
[QUOTE=NeilMcD;796535]But what about the poor babies.[/QUOTE

How many tellys got booted in listening to his drivel about the "babies".

NeilMcD
21/10/2007, 4:17 PM
He was on Sky this morning on Goals on Sunday. Pretty hard to listen to.

Rossi
21/10/2007, 4:27 PM
Venables might want to jump ship consaidering how the England team are doing so im hoping for him!

Qwerty
21/10/2007, 5:01 PM
Of course there would be lots of candidates that would rightly get a big NO from most people (Souness, Robson, Venables, another Stan-like character) but as ever no matter who they choose will have a large section of media/fans/pundits against their appointment from the off. All the arguments would be rolled out "He should be Irish" "He has no international experience" "He's getting paid too much, we could have gotten someone much better for the money" "I don't like his accent" "He got my club relegated" "He was a cr@p player" and so on. We can only hope that one year down the line that it is clear that whoever it is, is fit for the job and only the likes of Dumpy and the odd media hack will still be complaining. I think it's safe to say that the majority of us disagreed with the appointment of Staunton at the start but once there was nothing we could do about it we hoped/dreamed that he would quickly grow into the role but that unfortunately didn't happen. Due to Staunton's failure not many people would be able dream/hope that yet another inexperienced manager would develop into a top international manager within a few years.
At this stage someone like Wenger would be the only type of manager that would get anything like 90% support from the start. As if anything like that would happen :p

Good point. Steve McClaren was appointed as England's manager about the same time as Stan, what % of the Irish population would have thought McClaren would have been good enough to manage Ireland at that time??

We're going to end up with a candidate who is probably no more than the first choice of 20% of the people.

I also found it funny when reading Hiddinck's comments about Engalnd's display against Russia, the comments are equally valid for Ireland.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/7055103.stm

Qwerty
21/10/2007, 5:05 PM

Far from it, he has a mercenary reputation. He has said more than once that he would only consider Ireland at the end of his career in club mangement. Of course times have changed for Davey. I think O'Leary's reputation is tarnished at club level, he ended up being a divisive manager at both his clubs, he also wasn't much liked as a player. He didn't sem to learn from his mistakes so I'm not keen on O'Leary.

Irish_Praha
21/10/2007, 5:50 PM
Given Delaney's love for all things red could it be Carlos Queiroz?

backstothewall
21/10/2007, 6:30 PM
I would like it to be Jewell, with John Aldridge working with him.

I think there is ahlf a chance of them going for jewell, he would come at affordable money, it would be less pressure for him than the club game which i believe was an issue for him, and would allow him to keep on his media commitments.

If Jewell in place there is merit in John Aldridge being on board. Both Scousers after all.

I would think it is more likely to be a Kevin Moran or Aldridge (the same mistake) or O' Leary (a whole new mistake), but we live in hope

CollegeTillIDie
22/10/2007, 7:28 AM
Carlos Quieroz has one saving grace... HE'S PORTUGUESE! :)

reder
22/10/2007, 7:57 AM

He said he is more interested in the Bolton job and day-to-day football.

macdermesser
22/10/2007, 8:15 AM

that might be worth a punt on when the market opens ;-)

A bit of a mad idea ..but does anyone think that the FAI will keep Stan and appoint some foreign coach in a sort of joint coaching capacity role .. like Sweden .. (getting rid of Robson .. thus getting around the compensation thing, players feelings, the general sympathy for Stan all in one swoop. Would be a bit of a bitter pill for "I'm the gaffer the bucks stop with me" .. but might be a way out for all parties concerned? FAI could admit that they put in a difficult position and that they want to support his learning curve as manager by helping him out further for the next campaign ... or something like that

Bungle
22/10/2007, 8:59 AM
I have absolutely no faith in the FAI and who they would appoint.

However, the Cyprus game was a watershed. It highlighted that the public will vote with their feet, if they are unhappy with decisions made by the top brass. That alone makes me hopeful that they will land a manager of quality.

IMO O'Leary would e a disaster. Most players who play for him despise him and he can't land a job for love nor money right now. If we are going for something domestic (Irish or British), then it's got to be Jewell or Coppell. The suggestion of Aldo as assistant is a good one. I would be happy with those guys though I would like to explore options from around the world.

This argument that the FAI can't afford top dollar is not right, seeing as Stan/Robson were apparently in the top 10 best paid management teams in the world. Clemente gets paid about 350,000 euro year to manage Serbia and the Swedish manager is on 120,000!!!!

Dr. Ogba
22/10/2007, 9:04 AM
I have absolutely no faith in the FAI and who they would appoint.

However, the Cyprus game was a watershed. It highlighted that the public will vote with their feet, if they are unhappy with decisions made by the top brass. That alone makes me hopeful that they will land a manager of quality.

IMO O'Leary would e a disaster. Most players who play for him despise him and he can't land a job for love nor money right now. If we are going for something domestic (Irish or British), then it's got to be Jewell or Coppell. The suggestion of Aldo as assistant is a good one. I would be happy with those guys though I would like to explore options from around the world.

This argument that the FAI can't afford top dollar is not right, seeing as Stan/Robson were apparently in the top 10 best paid management teams in the world. Clemente gets paid about 350,000 euro year to manage Serbia and the Swedish manager is on 120,000!!!!

Yeah Coppell and Aldo would be a good combination if we are going domestic...wouldn't be surprised if we got Coppell on a part-time basis until the end of the English season at which time he'd step down as manager of Reading...would make sense for all involved...

Saint07
22/10/2007, 9:08 AM

plus he's thinking of leaving man utd in december.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/7002203.stm