PDA

View Full Version : Smileys

Mr A
20/10/2007, 9:34 PM
I feel there should be a far greater selection- like on Irish League Forums.

Please do not make me out to be intellectually inferior in some way or insult my mother in replying to this suggestion.

Lionel Ritchie
20/10/2007, 9:52 PM
Testifaaaah!!!!

I want a dancing pig like on Messenger.
:D

dfx-
21/10/2007, 12:46 AM
I feel there should be a far greater selection- like on Irish League Forums.

Mr. Controversial! :eek:

jebus
21/10/2007, 3:01 PM
I agree! Some of the ones on Football365 have me laughing for hours, the dancing banana in particular

DmanDmythDledge
21/10/2007, 3:02 PM
I agree that there should be more smileys but not to the extent that other forums like CCFC, the Ultras forum or OFF.

dahamsta
21/10/2007, 7:14 PM
By all means point to a smiley you would like installed on Foot.ie and explain why you think we should have it one Foot.ie. I have difficulty understanding why any more are needed.

theworm2345
22/10/2007, 1:00 AM
This one is a must
http://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider/hump.gif

Seriously though, maybe something like this for EL fans
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/dd/CrestBohsSmall.gif/30px-CrestBohsSmall.gif

or if not something like this for National team fans
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/45/Flag_of_Ireland.svg/23px-Flag_of_Ireland.svg.png

Or if none of the above perhaps letting us put images in posts

Lionel Ritchie
22/10/2007, 11:19 AM
By all means point to a smiley you would like installed on Foot.ie and explain why you think we should have it one Foot.ie. I have difficulty understanding why any more are needed.

Similar to the situation with driving where there is no internationaly agreed signal for "what the fcuk are you playing at?" there is no currently available emoticon that truly encompasses the emotions needed for "stop ...just stop. Now take a deep breath and tell me once more what the fcuk you're talking about?" This little character :confused: is thin gruel for this purpose.

Dodge
22/10/2007, 11:36 AM
"there's no emoticon for what I'm feeling"

comicbookguy said it best.

No need for anymore IMO.

drinkfeckarse
22/10/2007, 12:10 PM
Any chance of getting rid of any? This one :rolleyes: gets on my nerves. I don't need someone using that to let me know when they are trying to be smart or sarcastic. Also does anyone actually use this one :ball: ?

Jerry The Saint
22/10/2007, 12:15 PM
I find that the design for all of them comes off as smug and patronising :cool:. It's actually very appropriate for this particular site :rolleyes:

See what I mean? (You probably don't, you're not as clever as I am :p)

Schumi
22/10/2007, 12:23 PM
This one :rolleyes: gets on my nerves. I don't need someone using that to let me know when they are trying to be smart or sarcastic.Lots of people seem to though...

Dodge
22/10/2007, 12:32 PM
I'm constantly told to put smilies into my posts from people who don't get my "humour"

Green Tribe
22/10/2007, 2:08 PM
I happen to think this one :rolleyes: is needed for replying to certain posters!

dahamsta
22/10/2007, 2:19 PM
I'm not sure you get your humour Dodge!

osarusan
22/10/2007, 2:26 PM
to me,:rolleyes: has always meant What a f*#king moron you are!!" rather than "my comment is sarcastic"

Schumi
22/10/2007, 2:29 PM
The two often go together I find.

Dodge
22/10/2007, 2:30 PM
I'm not sure you get your humour Dodge!

oh I do. I think I'm the funniest **** here

As Osaraun said :rolleyes:

Green Tribe
22/10/2007, 2:33 PM
oh I do. I think I'm the funniest **** here

As Osaraun said :rolleyes:

ah now dahamsta, dodge is swearing again :rolleyes:

Dodge
22/10/2007, 2:35 PM
Nope. **** means literally that.

dahamsta
22/10/2007, 2:43 PM
Castlemain ****?

kingdom hoop
22/10/2007, 4:18 PM
I agree that there are some very good smilies on the net (two of my personal favourites come from my friends on the Cannabis Ireland forum - example 1 (http://forums.cannabisireland.net/images/smilies/canabis.gif) and example 2 (http://forums.cannabisireland.net/images/smilies/rasta.gif)) but while funny and amusing I think that smilies are often too distracting and gaudy and are a pretty lame attempt at embellishing a post, a bit childish maybe. So I'd take the more staid view that the point of them is to convey your sentiment when words wouldn't do justice, so from that perspective, at the moment at least, I can't think of what emotions can't be captured by the dirty dozen over on the right. But I'll see how I feel over the next half hour as I trawl the site and come back if I've any suggestions. Personally, I like using this fella :) a lot as it indicates that I'm smiling most of the time and my posts aren't, intentionally at any rate, hostile. :)

DmanDmythDledge
22/10/2007, 4:21 PM
I agree that :rolleyes: should be removed. Used to use it but now think that it's stupid to do so. Most people seem to use :cool: or ;) or adding ... to the end of comment to show sarcasm as well.

Dodge
22/10/2007, 4:22 PM
If we get rid of the rollyeyes then I need a Sigh smillie

DmanDmythDledge
22/10/2007, 4:28 PM
That would be more appropriate imo.

pineapple stu
22/10/2007, 5:15 PM
People need mad dancing smilies to show they're cool when in most cases, they're not. No point giving them a false view of themselves. What's there is grand; I'd take away the football one (and probably some others), because I've never seen that used in any sort of sensible way.

John83
22/10/2007, 6:36 PM
The two often go together I find.
You would. :rolleyes:

Just testing.

Jerry The Saint
22/10/2007, 11:11 PM
I agree that there are some very good smilies on the net (two of my personal favourites come from my friends on the Cannabis Ireland forum - example 1 (http://forums.cannabisireland.net/images/smilies/canabis.gif) and example 2 (http://forums.cannabisireland.net/images/smilies/rasta.gif))...

A few posts start to make a lot more sense all of a sudden...:p

theworm2345
23/10/2007, 2:02 AM
I think the easiest thing to do would be enable picture posting and those of us who don't want to/don't have the internet connection to view them and turn off view images

Dodge
23/10/2007, 5:53 AM
I think the easiest thing to do would be enable picture posting and those of us who don't want to/don't have the internet connection to view them and turn off view images
You can post links to pics hosted elsewhere (photobucket etc). Its only one click of a difference

gustavo
23/10/2007, 8:45 AM
I do like smilies though in a way as they provide context that written text often can find difficult to convey ,
I.e you could say "Robbie Keane had a great game " and the smilie beside it could help show in what way you meant it

Robbie Keane had a great game :D
Robbie Keane had a great game :rolleyes:

To be honest I use :) the most cos it removes any tone of hostility that I often feel would be taken up if it wasnt there.

sligoman
23/10/2007, 12:03 PM
Robbie Keane had a great game :D
Robbie Keane had a great game :rolleyes:I'd take that to mean he had a poor game in both games though, because in one you're laughing after you say it and in the other you are rolling your eyes. What would you use if he did actually have a great game?:confused:

Dodge
23/10/2007, 12:08 PM
I'd take that to mean he had a poor game in both games though, because in one you're laughing after you say it and in the other you are rolling your eyes. What would you use if he did actually have a great game?

:eek::eek::eek:

Schumi
23/10/2007, 12:53 PM
A 'thumbs up' smiley might be useful, e.g. in the above (however unlikely) case of Robbie Keane playing well, but I don't see any need for other new smileys. Definitely not any ones that move. :mad: