PDA

View Full Version : pressure on!

corbyeire
20/10/2007, 8:54 PM
sh!te waterford won 2-1! united might have to earn the right to stay up and not rely on other results now...

huge pressure

exiled_gufc_fan
20/10/2007, 9:09 PM
Indeed. Squeaky bum time.

gufc4life
20/10/2007, 10:57 PM
this weekend s game is huge against derry we dont want to go down to Waterford with 1 point between us

eamo1
21/10/2007, 1:08 AM
WE ARE ONLY 6 AHEAD OF LONGFORD TOO AND THUS AUTOMATIC RELAGATION.way too close for comfort.Next week is massive,derry arent in a good run of form but we are even worse id say.Its a nervy month that lies ahead.
get everyone you know up in terryland next week,the 12th man is needed now!!!!

Claret Murph
21/10/2007, 5:14 AM
Well here we go , as said next week is another huge game and TC has it right as every game is now a cup final . Look at it this way 3 wins form our last 3 games and no one can touch us , all 3 games are winable we just the fans , players & the staff have to beleive we can get those points .........

Terry
21/10/2007, 8:28 AM
the mathamaticians will be coming out soon, JC ?

There are 3 matches left so for longford to catch us they have to get 3 wins out of 3 and hope both ourselves and waterford pick up less than 1 or 2 points each, that wont happen, surely!.

Next weekend we play Derry at home whilst waterford are away to drogheda who, hopefully, will want to win as they receive the cup that night. If we win, any kind of positive result in waterford will see us safe. If we match the same result next week as waterford, we have to beat them in waterford to be safe.

I know there are plenty more equations but thats enough for my brain so far this morning.

Conor H
21/10/2007, 9:03 AM
Simple enough.

-1 win from our remaining 3 games will ensure we avoid automatic relegation thanks to our superior goal difference.
-we must now beat Derry-nof if's or but's.....a draw is a disastrous result and considering they have't been able to beat Waterford or Bray in the last 2 weeks there's no excuses for us not beating them.
-If we beat Derry and Waterford lose against Drogs a point from the RSC will keep us up.

Only thing i'd be worried about is both Longford and Waterford are starting to win games.We really have to get the finger out and win the next 2 games.It's ours to mess up.

WoodquayBoy
22/10/2007, 8:02 AM
whilst waterford are away to drogheda who, hopefully, will want to win as they receive the cup that night
Waterford are at HOME to Drogheda, the trophy presentation is being made the following week when Drogheda play Bray in United Park.
The Drogs players have had a hard season, not saying they won't be professional, but the pressure is off now, it is a long journey, nothing left to play for . . it all points to Waterfoird getting something from the game imo

gufct
22/10/2007, 8:47 AM
As Conor said on another thread its all about getting behind Tony and the team for the next three games.Get everyone you know upto to Terryland for the remaining two home games and lets fill a few buses for the trip to Waterford.

If the players show the same heart and fight as they did on friday night we will be ok but lets make Terryland Rock on friday night!!!!!!!!!!!

JC_GUFC
22/10/2007, 12:18 PM
I'm surprised at you Conor, you haven't taken into account a potential 10-0 defeat in Waterford which will wipe out our superior GD! ;)

It's good to have all this for a bit of excitment. A couple of big games tonight with Bray, Longford and UCD all playing.

I suppose ideally we'd want Longford to beat Bray and obviously a home win for Bohs. It will drag us closer to the automatic relegation but a win over Derry on Friday and we'd be above Bray and possibly UCD for our trip to Waterford.
The most important part of that is the win against Derry of course.

Come on United! :ball:

exiled_gufc_fan
22/10/2007, 12:46 PM
Get everyone you know upto to Terryland for the remaining two home games and lets fill a few buses for the trip to Waterford.

!

I'm tempted to cross the Irish Sea two weeks running (over for the UCD game). I have plenty of hols to take from work, but the Waterford game looks like costing £200 between Aer Arann, trains to Luton airport etc. I might look at a rail & sail option!

Tir Oilean
22/10/2007, 2:53 PM
Havin been to Bray for Fridays match I firmly believe the fight is there. We were poor in the first half but Bray were not great either. In the second half we came out guns ablazin and tbh honest if it was a boxing match it would have been called off. Lester was great pushin up all the time and earned us the peno. O Flynn and Glynn were playin ok but didnt get enough clear cut chances to get a goal. Glynn got the ball on the ground quite a bit but Delaney was simply too big for him to get around, or Delaney fouled him. Anyway back on topic. Were gonna stay up. They had the belief the last night that they could do it. Keep MaCourt out of the game on Fri and keep the Terryland roar high no matter what. I predict two home wins and and away draw for the last three. Any odds on that JC?

gufct
22/10/2007, 3:17 PM
We need everyone to spread the word and fill Terryland.Forget the backbiting and bitching for 3 weeks and lets all get up there early and make it white hot.

inthestand99
22/10/2007, 5:29 PM
:ball:Well said gufct. Plenty of time for analysis!!! in three weeks time. Minimum acceptable on Friday night is three points. Fitzy is injured and unlikely to play on Friday. Lets fill the two stands on Friday night and get behind the lads big time.

corbyeire
22/10/2007, 6:30 PM
does that mean lester will go centre back with regi or will wes go in there instead of fitz?

sounds like lester should be left in midfield after the last day

gufct
22/10/2007, 9:16 PM
two great results tonight .A win friday and we go above both ucd and Bray.

gilberto_eire
22/10/2007, 9:54 PM

mother of god how is been 3 points from automatic relegation a good thing:eek::eek:

that is ridicioules!!... last time i checked we had won less games games then the teams below us and you want the possibility of catching UCD/Bray left open at the expense of a shortening gap to automatic relegation.. last i checked we were as high up as was need to avoid the drop

so now we have Longford flying and theres a possibility that come friday we could be 3 points off automatic drop, how can that be viewed as excellent results!!.....

anyone else think tonights results went our way?... seriously i would love to hear how?

gufct
22/10/2007, 10:04 PM
gilberto i have never ever met anyone in my life who is so pessimistic and who takes every chance he can to slag off the club,manager or players.

If we win on friday Longford cant catch us so automatic relegation is out the window. You can beat me around the place if we are beaten on friday but for once this season will you give up on the constant knocking.

I would say 99.9% of all united fans would be delighted that Bray and UCD are being dragged down into the relegation/playoff places.

corbyeire
22/10/2007, 10:10 PM
but the point is we couldnt be automatically relegated if longford lost tonight - with our goal difference - and it would have been a playoff battle instead - the glass half empty scenario

now we could in theory climb above the others with a win on friday against derry - the glass half full scenario

but gilberto has pointed out we dont win that often - but because of this i think i record has to change and hopfully we will win friday night and finish this messy scenario we are in

gilberto_eire
22/10/2007, 10:14 PM
gilberto i have never ever met anyone in my life who is so pessimistic and who takes every chance he can to slag off the club,manager or players.

If we win on friday Longford cant catch us so automatic relegation is out the window. You can beat me around the place if we are beaten on friday but for once this season will you give up on the constant knocking.

I would say 99.9% of all united fans would be delighted that Bray and UCD are being dragged down into the relegation/playoff places.

id really be surprised that 99% of the fans are happy we're now 3 points from the automatic when one of them teams in on the back of 2 straight wins!.

yes its great that 2 teams ahead of us got gragged into the battle but at the expense of a team below us narrowing the gap for us to be in it??... yes that was a great thing to see:rolleyes: thank god your not manager anyway!!

yes well done GUFCT by saying, i didnt understand YOUR thinking you try turn that into me ''slagging the club,manager and players'':rolleyes:

and im not always bashing the club just the pathetic excuse for a manager we so happened to appoint last year who you love to defend no matter what the situation.

wake up will ya and stop defending him cause you know him personally!.

''for once this season''.....?... i didnt see too much to shout about this year and i think most ppl will agree with me!.

if we're going to play crap football(that isnt winning points), play players out of position, get beat of pub teams from small GAA areas then im going to speak my mind about it!.

always the super fan Mr.Gufct with the maroon tinted glasses!!:

Conor H
22/10/2007, 10:33 PM

Agree.

A win on Friday and we're up to 8th.
We then get to play 2 of the teams below us in our last 2 games.

Basically Friday night is huge.Failure to win and i think we'll be odds on for the drop but a win and we're in the best position of all 5 teams.
Crazy that there's 5 teams that could still get relegated with 3 games to go!:eek:

Still i'm going to a gufct on it and be nothing but positive this week because the thought of losing would make you,simply,cry.:o

gilberto_eire
22/10/2007, 10:40 PM
Agree.

A win on Friday and we're up to 8th.
We then get to play 2 of the teams below us in our last 2 games.

Basically Friday night is huge.Failure to win and i think we'll be odds on for the drop but a win and we're in the best position of all 5 teams.
Crazy that there's 5 teams that could still get relegated with 3 games to go!:eek:

Still i'm going to a gufct on it and be nothing but positive this week because the thought of losing would make you,simply,cry.:o

you even say it yourself theres was added pressure frm longfords win....

i really dont see how you can view it a good thing that a team in the relegation spot has narrowed the gap to 3

we have nothing to gain from passing Bray and UCD, but everything to lose from Longford and Waterford passing us!.

considering the roll there on its very possible(not much but it has become a possibility after tonight) we are now playing for the play-off(after longfords win) dont you think when longford are motoring and 2 of the teams ahead of them still have to play!!

i cant see how teams winning below us is good when we've won 2/3 less then everyone else all year, we only have to hold our position!!

Conor H
22/10/2007, 10:56 PM
But by winning Friday we would go further ahead of Longford but now also,move ahead of 2 teams which have been ahead of us for quite a number of weeks.

Surely that's a good thing?:confused:

Longford winning is only a bad thing if we lose/draw on Friday and as i said previous i'm not even going to contemplate that.

I see where you're coming from...and i do agree to a large extent that it's far from ideal with the team below us winning BUT if we win our next 2 games we'll all of a sudden find the relegation battle won't be of much concern to us.

There's 5 teams involved now-it's up to us to break away.

DmanDmythDledge
22/10/2007, 11:20 PM
Conor you seem to be thinking very positively at the moment, whereas usually you seem to be unahppy with GUFC's performances and calling for the manager's head. It just doesn't make sense that you can have such contradicting views.

Maroon 7
22/10/2007, 11:31 PM
Basically tonight's results are only good for us if we beat Derry on Friday. If we do we climb above Bray and UCD and things look good.

A loss or even a draw against Derry and it really will be squeaky bum time after that with every game a cup final.

gufct
23/10/2007, 7:12 AM
every game has been a cup final for the last few weeks and Fridays is the biggest so far. We need to make everyone realise this and fill Terryland on Friday.

Conor H
23/10/2007, 7:57 AM
Conor you seem to be thinking very positively at the moment, whereas usually you seem to be unahppy with GUFC's performances and calling for the manager's head. It just doesn't make sense that you can have such contradicting views.

My feelings on TC haven't changed so don't know where i;m contradicting myself?
Just feel if we win Friday we'll be a long way to staying up so might aswell keep positive.
If we stay up-then we can all loook back and say whether or not it's been a good seasn.i know how i'll be voting.

galwayhoop
23/10/2007, 8:34 AM

i can't agree with this unfortunately. personally 10th or 8th are the same as each other to me. i would much rather see daylight between ourselves and longford at this stage than a smaller gap to those above, after all we only need to do better than the 2 below us to stay up, forget about those above us ffs.

3 points off automatic relegation and one off the play-off with 3 games to go cannot be a better position than we were in yesterday morning! added to that by UCD losing last night it increases the likelyhood of them having something to play for on the last day of the season.

3 points is an absolute must on friday or i'll be getting very very nervous.

Tir Oilean
23/10/2007, 8:40 AM
It just doesn't make sense that you can have such contradicting views.

I'll think you will find alot of United fans in the same boat as Conor H, myself included. I dont see it as a contradiction but more as a change of mind or attitude and surely we are all entitled to do that?

I see where Gilberto is coming from, if Longford lost and we win on Friday night we would still be better off, in that the automatic relegation would be further away from us. Should we now be concentrating on finishing above the play-off spot or 8th ahead of UCD and Bray. I'd say the latter. It gives us a clear goal. Plus I want us to beat UCD at home.:D

galwayhoop
23/10/2007, 8:50 AM
Should we now be concentrating on finishing above the play-off spot or 8th ahead of UCD and Bray. I'd say the latter. It gives us a clear goal. Plus I want us to beat UCD at home.:D

in fairness its not an 'either or' scenario Tir Oilean, just if Longford had lost then automatic relegation was virtually impossible. it would be nice to finish 8th obviously but i'd take staying in the division over anything like that!!

WoodquayBoy
23/10/2007, 10:49 AM
There seems to be a bit of a buzz around town and I think (hope) we could get our biggest crowd of the season on Friday. A win is a must - can't see Drogheda breaking their backs against Waterford, not too ure if Paul Doolin would want to do his auld mucker a favour, especially when United 'denied' them a local derby this season.
Wouldn't it be ironic if we finish 11th and Dundalk win the First Division playoff - there would be some fireworks then!
Anyway, as for Friday, lets get behind the lads and give them total support from the start, Derry are also coming to the end of a long season and we did very well against them in 2 league games already

galwayhoop
23/10/2007, 11:08 AM
can't see Drogheda breaking their backs against Waterford,
Drogs will probably be on the p1ss all week

Wouldn't it be ironic if we finish 11th and Dundalk win the First Division playoff - there would be some fireworks then!
I'm sure all the neutrals would be backing us!!!!!!! :p:D:D

Sonic
23/10/2007, 11:28 AM
Look I cant see ye been roped down into relegation to be honest. If anything it will be ourselves and waterford and even then it looks like it could be too late for us!

Square Heir
23/10/2007, 11:38 AM

This is what I have feared all season!

Claret Murph
23/10/2007, 11:54 AM
This is what I have feared all season!

Don't worry it's not going to happen and if by some chance it did thou we would have to make sure that no one would be able to bring in any petrol cans into Terryland . Poor old mixi the taxi driver will he ever be forgotten , not by me that's for sure .:D:D:D

eamo1
23/10/2007, 12:48 PM
It seems you have forgotten his proper name already though;).
We are not going down,7 points at least from our last 3 will see us do it handy enough.Then the knives can come out!

Claret Murph
23/10/2007, 3:07 PM
Thanks Eamo, mixi maxi hey I was close :D

JC_GUFC
23/10/2007, 3:37 PM
added to that by UCD losing last night it increases the likelyhood of them having something to play for on the last day of the season.

3 points is an absolute must on friday or i'll be getting very very nervous.

Whatever about Longford , how can anyone think that UCD losing was not a good result for us?!?!

Longford have to go to Bohs in their next game - I'd be very surprised if they got a result there so if they lose that they can't finish above us.

Given Derry's current form there's even a chance that we'll finish above them but that's being really optimistic!!!!

I predicted about 2 months ago that we'd beat UCD on the last day to finish in 8th, that looks pretty realistic now. :ball:

JC_GUFC
23/10/2007, 3:42 PM
I predict two home wins and and away draw for the last three. Any odds on that JC?

For you 14/1 ;)

MyTown
23/10/2007, 3:44 PM
Thanks Eamo, mixi maxi hey I was close :D

Not too close Claret. Don't you know how easy it is to get burned on this site?:D

galwayhoop
23/10/2007, 3:59 PM
Whatever about Longford , how can anyone think that UCD losing was not a good result for us?!?!

because it may mean that they have something to play for on the last day of the season. in an ideal world you would like your opposition to have nothing to play for, it could be a game where the loser faces the play-off. while a win for UCD last night would have made them pretty much safe. as i said earlier we only need to do better than the teams below us, forget about those above us for now.

as i said before whether we finish 8th or 10th makes no real difference. but watch out for the 'spin' if we did finish 8th!!!

geezer
23/10/2007, 9:53 PM
mixing up the crew on the fai board with the utd board. The fai are the kings of spin. In fairness to the present utd board they call a spade a spade, have acknowledged errors in past season and apologised e.g early match entry problems for season ticket holders. In fact its probably no harm for the football staff to feel pressure on friday and the following weeks as its in their hands, the support will be there as always willing them on i think we will see one of the 1st benefits of a full time set up. The ability to compete, focus and ready themselves for a real challenge right to the end should manifest itself and we will see the massive investment in them begin to repay itself.

cmon utd

Claret Murph
24/10/2007, 6:55 AM
Not too close Claret. Don't you know how easy it is to get burned on this site?:D

I know what you mean MyTown at times I feel as nervous as a wet Christmas tree in Dublin , if you know what I mean ;)

galwayhoop
24/10/2007, 9:36 AM
mixing up the crew on the fai board with the utd board. The fai are the kings of spin.

not talking about either 'board' only those on this board with the 'full faith in TC' comments until very recently! ;) If we finish 8th TC and some on here will point to a mid-table position (which would also give survival next year btw) and happily gloss over the precarious position we are in with 3 games to go!

gufct
24/10/2007, 9:58 AM
Same here anywhere 10th or upwards would have done me at the start of the season and ive consistently said that. Realism is what certain posters need on here.

Conor H
24/10/2007, 10:00 AM
Same here anywhere 10th or upwards would have done me at the start of the season and ive consistently said that. Realism is what certain posters need on here.

Couldn't agree more.;)