PDA

View Full Version : first division title promotion chase

ramsfan
20/10/2007, 3:32 PM
lads this has to the most exciting league yet, the amounts of twists and turns is crazy. quality is good. good news for irish football if the second tier quality is this good:D

fitzknows
20/10/2007, 3:37 PM
Disagree that the quality is good. Reckon that whoever goes up will struggle to stay up apart from perhaps Dundalk who can attract Dublin based players looking for a club.

ramsfan
20/10/2007, 3:44 PM
should have been at rams and dundalk today good exciting football

CollegeTillIDie
20/10/2007, 3:48 PM
Rams had a good season in 92/93 when they leapfrogged ourselves on the last day of that season (along with Monaghan United who made the play off) to gain promotion. The Mons won their play-off which was the first one ever I believe Waterford United came down but this is from memory. If they were to win the Division it would be their first League title since joining the LOI in 1985.

don ramo
20/10/2007, 4:16 PM
Rams had a good season in 92/93 when they leapfrogged ourselves on the last day of that season (along with Monaghan United who made the play off) to gain promotion. The Mons won their play-off which was the first one ever I believe Waterford United came down but this is from memory. If they were to win the Division it would be their first League title since joining the LOI in 1985.

correction first piece of silverwear,
what agame dundalk were fallin all over the place the second goal was some volley, im actually a bit disapointed that we may have to play in a play-off, its not in our plan, but if we loose a play-off it would be a disgrace, play-offs are stupid, i always said it, if you finnish second bottom you deserve to come down, and if you finnish third you also deserve to stay down,

eelmonster
20/10/2007, 4:31 PM
Imagine if you won your play-off, then lost out on promotion to the Premier to a team which finished in third place ... then, another club is relegated to the First Division (because of financial irregularities, for instance) and you lose out on promotion again to the team that you beat in the play-off, now that would be a disgrace. Would never happen in the LOI, though.

Conor H
20/10/2007, 4:36 PM
Last years race was just as exciting,if not more.

In the end Rovers won it by 2 points on Dundak and 3 points on UTD.

There'll be one more twist though....there was a few last year.

jebus
20/10/2007, 5:31 PM
There'll be one more twist though....there was a few last year.

We're not supposed to talk about that around here anymore Conor :p

Neish
20/10/2007, 7:50 PM
No more twists thank you very much, if it stays as it is now I'll be well chuffed

Poor Student
20/10/2007, 8:55 PM
The 2004 title race between Harps, UCD and Bray was a good one too. There was also Kildare pushing Bray for the last promotion spot. In the end Kildare just about beat Bray in the race to throw the promotion spot away and Harps went the full pace to keep just ahead of UCD with both sides breaking the division's points tally.

sligoman
20/10/2007, 11:26 PM
Last years race was just as exciting,if not more.

In the end Rovers won it by 2 pointsSame as 2005;)

Sam_Heggy
21/10/2007, 9:11 AM
The 2004 title race between Harps, UCD and Bray was a good one too. There was also Kildare pushing Bray for the last promotion spot. In the end Kildare just about beat Bray in the race to throw the promotion spot away and Harps went the full pace to keep just ahead of UCD with both sides breaking the division's points tally.

Yeah I just watched the season review on dvd there, there was actually 4 current prem teams in there that season: UCD, Bray, Galway and Sligo. It was nerve wracking, we nearly bucked it up away in Monaghan with a nil all draw. We went into the last game against Dundalk a point ahead, UCD won their game and we eventually beat Dundalk.
Tbh i'll take the same this season, just wanna win this feckin league.

The standard of the top 3/4 clubs has been good but the rest have been p!ss poor. most teams we played this season have got every man behind the ball and defended to the last. The best way to win the division is to play bucket football, we have got it down and played but in all honesty thats better off used in the prem.

Sam_Heggy
21/10/2007, 9:41 AM
title odds:
Finn Harps 4 - 9
Cobh Ramblers 13 - 8
Dundalk 66 - 1

Terry
21/10/2007, 10:05 AM
whats the title run-in for harps and cobh?

Sam_Heggy
21/10/2007, 10:26 AM
we have:

Kildare (h)
Athlone (h)
Kilkenny (a) party time :D hopefully. We are flooding Kilkenny that day, bus loads and car loads all planned.

Cobh have:

Shels (a)
Monaghan (h)
Athlone (a)

should be 9 points each, but you never know either.

onephillyhughes
22/10/2007, 11:07 AM
Sin é.

Harps won't drop anymore points, so we'll be back down in Cobh to see another chapter in the 2007 book of how to not show up at away games. Lets just hope we don't bring another bunch of scumbag wasters with is. Embarrassing day on and off the pitch:rolleyes:

bellavistaman
22/10/2007, 9:34 PM
we have:

Kildare (h)
Athlone (h)
Kilkenny (a) party time :D hopefully. We are flooding Kilkenny that day, bus loads and car loads all planned.

Cobh have:

Shels (a)
Monaghan (h)
Athlone (a)

should be 9 points each, but you never know either.

Shels is in no way a easy 3 points my friend, dreadin it.

Lets just hope we don't bring another bunch of scumbag wasters with is. Embarrassing day on and off the pitch:rolleyes:

Hear hear, the true dundalk fans showed last week, every club has *******s who try to bring the name of the club down.

Sam_Heggy
22/10/2007, 9:42 PM
Shels is in no way a easy 3 points my friend, dreadin it. .

Dude don't worry, Shels will not get points in that game. They seem to have given up on their season, It will be an interesting final day imo. We have at least 100 people heading to Kilkenny, lets hope its a celebratory p!ss up :D

onephillyhughes
22/10/2007, 10:36 PM
Hear hear, the true dundalk fans showed last week, every club has *******s who try to bring the name of the club down.

I stood in the club bar afterwards and just looked outside in horror at them, just felt so ashamed.

Really ruined what was a great number of fans to bring all the way down to Cobh. I felt so let down by those wasters and our players. Listening to Gill saying we'll just come down here and win, talk is cheap Giller, your team doesn't look fit, looks disjointed, I'm losing faith. :(

CollegeTillIDie
23/10/2007, 2:12 PM
correction first piece of silverwear,
what agame dundalk were fallin all over the place the second goal was some volley, im actually a bit disapointed that we may have to play in a play-off, its not in our plan, but if we loose a play-off it would be a disgrace, play-offs are stupid, i always said it, if you finnish second bottom you deserve to come down, and if you finnish third you also deserve to stay down,

Did ye not win the First Division Shield at one point?

don ramo
23/10/2007, 6:37 PM
Did ye not win the First Division Shield at one point?

nope, we won everything at MSL level, but when we entered the league it all dried up, promoted twice through playoffs, third time lucky:):ball::ball:

CollegeTillIDie
24/10/2007, 3:48 PM
And of course one or two Munster Senior Cups into the bargain right?

Comic Book Guy
25/10/2007, 4:43 PM
Yep, very different times though, I reckon Cobh were a league club in all but name from about 80 to 85, they probably should have taken the plubge a lot earlier.

don ramo
26/10/2007, 1:28 AM
ya but then we wouldnt have had 83,
no trophy in 22 years would love to end it this year,