PDA

View Full Version : Last Night

JohnD
07/05/2003, 10:00 AM
Went to the game last night. A few points came out of it:

1..The abscence once more of a physio. Surely it's one of the most basic things that needs to be organised.

2..The Team. What Planet was Kerley on when he picked the starting 11. This was no time to try out new formations. We could have had a good chance in progressing in this competition if we had won last night..next game v Kilkenny we should win. This would have put us in the 1/4 Final and maybe a plum draw..Money !!..and we badly need it. The second half was much better and at least we played Heffernan and Stevo who were left on the bench (incredible) for the first half while our no:6 decided to pull out of every tackle and show no responsibility at all in midfield. Please start each game with the strongest eleven. But hey What do I know !!. Ciaran was very good last night and MOST of the players tried hard

3..I know there are only a few of us but maybe a bit of acknowledgement of the support would not go astray at the end..How about it boys ????

Now that we have a meaningless game next Mon..play around with all types of formations if ye want but put a decent side out v Athlone

Frustrated

:mad:

JohnD

deise deserter
07/05/2003, 10:21 AM
I agree with your points John. The absence of a physio especially is very worrying. One has to wonder where the club would be on a legal footing if a player were to be injured in his absence...

As for our number 6, I don't think you are the only person with the opinion you have shown. The simple matter of it is that he is unfit and should be nowhere near our starting 11.

As for the match itself:

Ciaran Foley had a very good game last night, his best since the game against Athlone the end of last season. Moved well with the ball and his first touch on the ball was very quick compared to his last few games where he seemed to be a bit off the pace. I'm sure he was very happy with his performance last night.

McMahon (our new Kerry lad) played very well. He is a strong tackler and works very hard to win the ball - a tough guy who could become a John Frost type player.

Steven and Colm both played well when they came on, and should have started the game.

In the end there was very little between the teams and we deserved a draw. Unlucky once again.

LFC in Exile
07/05/2003, 10:22 AM
What was the team last night?

I agree with most of what you say JohnD, though I suppose Kerley wants to see what the new players can do - I don't know. I agree with you that Limerick should be playing its best XI in each match and trying to get some stability in the side. In fact I don't think Kerley has put out the same team for consecutive games yet. Maybe he doesn't know what his best team is.... And considering he took over so shortly before the start of the season may mean he needs a little time. Not trying to argue with your points just trying to find an explanation.

Monaghan is a must win game to keep in touch with the leaders (crazy having a must win game so soon in the campaign). Kilkenny will not beat Waterford so we can safely assume that a second string side will be put out against the Cats. Particularly with Athlone only three days later.

It would be interesting to hear fans views of the performance and manager at this stage of the season, 5 league games played and the league cup match. One sixth of the way through the season :)

JohnD
07/05/2003, 10:45 AM
Team:

Healy,
O'Mahony, Finucane, Keating, Purcell
O'Dongohue, Browne,Molan, Sugrue,
Foley, Mc Carthy

Subs
HT...Molan replace by Heffernan

Flynn replaced Shane (Yes!!!!!)

gael353
07/05/2003, 2:12 PM
Good performance overall from the team against a very much second string Waterford side. The dump was on fire so we had a restricted view of the first half. we still nead a left back and that was obvious but we're stuck with hat we have now till June, which is bad news for us but keeps a certain no 6 on our books for another 2 months. hes 2 stone over weight, ****s his load after 5mins, pulls out of tackles, token jumps, and in the words of the chillies "give it away give it away give it away now". He had a yet another mare! Keating was tried and didnt work in the center and was less comforable on the left in the second. the two kerry lads are tigers but say goodbye to the fair play award! oh no we could get promoted!!! lol
My ratings.
Healy 6
Sugru 7
Paddy 7
Keating 5 first half 5 second
Fini 6 first 7 second
o mahony 7
Molem 6
No 6 .....
Frank 5
Foley 7
Dereck 6
Heffernan (ht for molem) 7
Stevo (55mins for no 6) 7
subs not used Barry Ryan and ammmm......oh Kerley himself! but then again if danger had been there he would have prob been named as a sub

deise deserter
07/05/2003, 4:08 PM
posted by LFC in Exile:

It would be interesting to hear fans views of the performance and manager at this stage of the season, 5 league games played and the league cup match. One sixth of the way through the season

I think that the real test Mike Kerley will face is when the transfer season comes up. At this stage I'm sure that he knows just as well as we do, who is not up to scratch. At that stage once he gets rid of those tying up the wage bill, I'm sure we will see some good signings (the Italian, please) and hopefully a stronger team.

I can understand the reasoning behind using the Cup game last night as a "testing" game, but personally, I don't think it was a good idea. We should have had our best 11 starting to defend the cup, as John D pointed out, it could have lead to much needed income for the club.

Overall, I must say that Mike has done well with what he has - he was late into the job and his options were limited. He seems to be finding his feet. Hopefully he'll make the necessary changes in a couple of months.

BlueisBeautiful
08/05/2003, 1:30 AM
.... that Kerley was right not to play full stength team. In my opinion play- off places are more important than the league cup, I know many will disagree and I wasn't there last night but I'll take promotion before league cup any day. Anyway with 2 games a week at the moment playing the same team every match could cause tiredness etc..

sadloserkid
08/05/2003, 8:51 AM
Originally posted by deise deserter
I think that the real test Mike Kerley will face is when the transfer season comes up. At this stage I'm sure that he knows just as well as we do, who is not up to scratch. At that stage once he gets rid of those tying up the wage bill, I'm sure we will see some good signings (the Italian, please) and hopefully a stronger team.

I can understand the reasoning behind using the Cup game last night as a "testing" game, but personally, I don't think it was a good idea. We should have had our best 11 starting to defend the cup, as John D pointed out, it could have lead to much needed income for the club.

Overall, I must say that Mike has done well with what he has - he was late into the job and his options were limited. He seems to be finding his feet. Hopefully he'll make the necessary changes in a couple of months.

Tell us DD, how comfortable is that fence you're sitting on? :D

deise deserter
08/05/2003, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by BlueisBeautiful
.... that Kerley was right not to play full stength team. In my opinion play- off places are more important than the league cup, I know many will disagree and I wasn't there last night but I'll take promotion before league cup any day. Anyway with 2 games a week at the moment playing the same team every match could cause tiredness etc..

As I said in my last post, I can see where Mike and yourself are coming from. I still think that while we are in financial difficulty we should have been trying to get those big draws and the crowds they attract.

SLK: My post was simply pointing out that Mike Kerley is stuck at the moment with the team he has, both good and bad. I think that once he can make the decisions he wants when the transfer season comes up he will make it more his own. The guy has done as well as he could with what we have, once he gets his touch on the team I see him doing well.

sadloserkid
08/05/2003, 10:28 AM
I wouldn't be expecting any huge changes in personnel when the transfer window reopens lads, there's nothing to suggest that Kerley is going to flood the team with new players. He's had a few months now to find any uncovered gems and he's signed two players. I'd say at the most to expect two more when we can bring people in again.

Anybody who thinks we should be bringing in 5-6-7 new players mid-season and expect them to gel and lead us to the promised land is an idiot. New players inevitably take time to settle and bringing in half a team would finish us for the season. We're already dealing with Healy, Sweeney, Cooney, Sugrue, O'Mahony and the returning Derek mcCarthy. If we bring in more than another two or three players we'll end up fighting with Athlone and Kilkenny to avoid re-election.

I feel Kerley knows his stuff and I think we'll see one or two changes mid-season but any more than that and we can write off the season.

The only other problem is that because the club apparently isn't as secure financially as it expected to be at this stage in the season will Mike be able to afford anybody worth signing? I'm not holding my breath. If we're lucky we'll find another Colm Heffernan from Junior football (though he's heading down the same road as Shane O'Donoghue did at the moment) but I can't see many experienced League of Irelanders being in our pay-brackets.

It's easy to say "Mike should get rid of player X and player Y". One problem lads, they're under contract for the season and if they're released I would imagine that they'll have to be bought ou of their contract. In effect any dead weight we might have now is tying up the wages until the end of the season...

gael353
08/05/2003, 3:38 PM
players who do not turn up on the day ie if there not picked do not get paid so stop picking them thats how we get rid of them!

BlueisBeautiful
08/05/2003, 5:08 PM
"Colm Heffernan from Junior football (though he's heading down the same road as Shane O'Donoghue did at the moment)"

explain yourself SLK?

sadloserkid
09/05/2003, 8:11 AM
:D LOL, I knew somebody would haul me up on that. I was exaggerating obviously, but basically when Shane started in the team he looked a really good prospect who was constantly whipping in crosses whereas last year he lergely disappointed. Last season Colm Heffernan was absolutely brilliant, especially in Athlone where he destroyed two full-backs and was a joy to watch.

This season he's still a joy to watch but he's been guilty for me of trying to overdo it to often and losing possession or else getting trapped by the corner flag and not getting in his cross. The seasons still early days but after last year I was hoping he'd have a goal and a handful of assists to his name by now. He still looks brilliant but he hasn't actually contributed as much as he did last season. Having said that, give him a couple of weeks and I'm sure he'll be back to his best. Hopefully Shane will too.

Nempton
09/05/2003, 9:47 AM
I've just read over what everyone is saying about the team that started against Waterford. I agree and disagree with a couple of things that Kerley did about the team but you have to look at it like this first who is available for selection and second while he rested Steve O and Colm I think its necessary for him to assess the team and see what depth he has in different positions. I think Mike is firmly focused on the long season ahead and with the upcoming break in the season due to the Special Olympics I think he feels it is necessary to identify what areas need more strengthening than others. Like SLK said I don't think the club will be able to bring in many new players while I feel the likes of Brian Donnellans days are numbered. As for No.6, well we all know from last season that he isn't up to par. But looking at the team Kerley put out against Waterford I think he should have had Paul at left back rather than Paddy. I think Paul this season has being caught out too many times. He is playing ok but I just notice small things with him, he seems to have lost a little of his mobility and he is not winning balls in the air. I would have preferred to see how Keating and Paddy would have got on in the centre. SLK said Colm is heading in a similiar direction as Shane, I think that while he hasn't had the same impact as he did towards the latter of last season I think the main problem is that he is playing on the left the whole time as a result he is always going to have to switch the ball onto his right foot and turn in towards goal rather than go down the wing and whip in a cross. Thats why it's good to see Mike play Sugrue down the left so he can assess his options. I think that perhaps Steve O should play down the left and Colm on the right wing. I have often said that Steve O has the making of a fantastic winger especially as he has no right foot and would be far more effective on the left. Just think of his work down the left against Bray and it resulting in a goal for Limerick. Another solution could be to sign Harmon from Fairview who can play down the left or upfront. I think also it is important that Limerick sign another centre back, we have no obvious replacement or any competition to Paddy and Paul for a place in the team. Maybe Molan should be tried out there as he is very capable of challenging in the air as well as putting in the tackles on the ground.

deise deserter
09/05/2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Nempton
I've just read over what everyone is saying about the team that started against Waterford. I agree and disagree with a couple of things that Kerley did about the team but you have to look at it like this first who is available for selection and second while he rested Steve O and Colm I think its necessary for him to assess the team and see what depth he has in different positions. I think Mike is firmly focused on the long season ahead and with the upcoming break in the season due to the Special Olympics I think he feels it is necessary to identify what areas need more strengthening than others. Like SLK said I don't think the club will be able to bring in many new players while I feel the likes of Brian Donnellans days are numbered. As for No.6, well we all know from last season that he isn't up to par. But looking at the team Kerley put out against Waterford I think he should have had Paul at left back rather than Paddy. I think Paul this season has being caught out too many times. He is playing ok but I just notice small things with him, he seems to have lost a little of his mobility and he is not winning balls in the air. I would have preferred to see how Keating and Paddy would have got on in the centre. SLK said Colm is heading in a similiar direction as Shane, I think that while he hasn't had the same impact as he did towards the latter of last season I think the main problem is that he is playing on the left the whole time as a result he is always going to have to switch the ball onto his right foot and turn in towards goal rather than go down the wing and whip in a cross. Thats why it's good to see Mike play Sugrue down the left so he can assess his options. I think that perhaps Steve O should play down the left and Colm on the right wing. I have often said that Steve O has the making of a fantastic winger especially as he has no right foot and would be far more effective on the left. Just think of his work down the left against Bray and it resulting in a goal for Limerick. Another solution could be to sign Harmon from Fairview who can play down the left or upfront. I think also it is important that Limerick sign another centre back, we have no obvious replacement or any competition to Paddy and Paul for a place in the team. Maybe Molan should be tried out there as he is very capable of challenging in the air as well as putting in the tackles on the ground.

Very good points Nempton, and I'm sure Mike Kerley was thinking along the same lines.

Will you be making it in for Monday's game? I'm sure your buddy would just love to bang in a hat trick!!;)