PDA

View Full Version : Robbie Keane on Late Late Show Tonight

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Ireland4ever
19/10/2007, 4:00 PM
Surely he wouldnt have the balls to come on...he better issue an apology for been utterly wasteful for the last 5 years!

as_i_say
19/10/2007, 4:02 PM
I think Robbie has come on in the talking stakes lately. Would be a lot more interesting than listening to poor Stan anyway

Green Tribe
19/10/2007, 4:08 PM
shall be watching then for a giggle! :rolleyes::eek:

Ozymandias
19/10/2007, 4:09 PM
will have to get a bigger couch so his fat arse can fit into it.......he would do well to remember the words of mike scott...." a gift that dies is a tragic thing and it happens all the time, But a gift thats wasted thrown to hell is the worst of stupid crimes"....you could have been and could still be great robbie but you need to get the finger out and lose the chip

Armando
19/10/2007, 4:16 PM
I can't believe he's going on 'the Late Late' tonight.
It certainly shows balls, but is it ill advised? I will be watching intently.

finnpark
19/10/2007, 4:37 PM
Least thats what my mom told me when I came home from school so should be a credible enough source. :)

It'll be fun to see what he has to say for himself. If Stan plans to win the people over using a popular figure from the team, well he should have picked Given, no clue what business Robbie would have in that role. >_>

Lets hope that the audience will boo him.

PS: My footer will come true :p

Maroon 7
19/10/2007, 5:12 PM
Will he singing a few songs for us too?

jebus
19/10/2007, 5:26 PM
I would gain a lot of respect for Pat Kenny if he turns on Keane like he did the General's daughter last week and starts saying random things about his international career, and then explains to a bewildered Keane that his international career is dead anyway so he can say what he likes :p

Ringo
19/10/2007, 5:26 PM
No doubt he'll be shooting invisable arrows at the audience:D

stojkovic
19/10/2007, 7:54 PM
I wonder will he be waving his arms about and pointing at the cameraman.

Good ol' Captain Karaoke.

eirebhoy
19/10/2007, 8:32 PM
Just confirmed by Pat Kenny. On after the break.

Curtains
19/10/2007, 8:47 PM
Dry your eyes robbie. We dont hate stan and people have just realised that hes not up to the job. Its nothing personal!!

Maroon 7
19/10/2007, 8:51 PM
Jist of it is he seems to be blaming it all on the meeejia.

blobbyblob
19/10/2007, 8:54 PM
My God...Am i watching the worst interview ever?

Am I the only one who thinks this is cringe worthy?

As a young player in a dressing room, could you respect someone who cant string a sentence together?

Newspapers are bad. Hes concerned for the young players. Hes concerned for his Mammy. He wonders why when he was a young player why the team didn't get booed . WTF like! Maybe it was because the more senior players back in the days of Stan and Quinny did their jobs.

conlonn
19/10/2007, 8:55 PM
does Robbie need a translator so majority of the irish people can understand him? Blaming the media??people are not fools and know the current setup and performances are rubbish

stojkovic
19/10/2007, 8:58 PM
Well that was a waste of time.

1. Its the media's fault

2. Young players wont turn up if it doesnt stop.

Now he's singing, no hold on it's Daniel.

PS Kenny useless as usual, off to pub now.

beautifulrock
19/10/2007, 8:59 PM
Feel he did well enough, he was always going to be damned one way or another. He faced up to it, Plank give him an easy time, the questions from the audience were easy as well. However, hats off to him from me, it would have been easier for him to go back to North London and count his money.

eirebhoy
19/10/2007, 9:03 PM
Poor interview. His intention was to go on and slate the media but didn't do a very good job.

greendeiseboy
19/10/2007, 9:04 PM
only caught the last five minutes........ but my god what a spin doctor..... obviously well groomed by the muppets...... kenny is a f*cking lickar*e....

ROBBIE LISTEN TO THIS WE THE FANS NOT THE MEDIA OK NOT THE MEDIA WANT CHANGE WE WANT STAN OUT AND I'D SAY AFTER YOUR PATHETIC EXCUSE RIDDEN PERFORMANCE TONIGHT YOU AS WELL

Scram
19/10/2007, 9:05 PM
does Robbie need a translator so majority of the irish people can understand him? Blaming the media??people are not fools and know the current setup and performances are rubbish

Nothing whatsoever wrong with his English, take the turf out of your ears.

eirebhoy
19/10/2007, 9:07 PM
Can I just say one thing, would people stop getting angry at Keane for playing badly? The one relevant thing he did say tonight was "I don't miss chances for a laugh". One thing Stan and Robbie have in common is the majority of fans think they should be dropped/sacked. Why is it that so many people are angry at Keane though? there's very little anger towards Stan and rightly so.

EastTerracer
19/10/2007, 9:08 PM
I think Robbie said what a lot of other people are already thinking. The current setup is a mess and he didn't really get into that but he's not defending their performances.

However, I do agree with him that the media has deteriorated in this country over the last few years (see today's Indo or Herald for example). The criticism has become personalised and abusive rather than analytical. It is reminiscent of the Sun or the Mirror hounding Robson, Taylor, Hoddle et al. I always thought we were better than that.

Staunton isn't doing the job, Robbie isn't playing as well as he can but they are not setting out to underachieve. They don't deserve the level of abuse they have received in recent weeks..... nobody does (other than serial killers, sex offenders and politicians)

gustavo
19/10/2007, 9:16 PM
Well done RTE putting his interview on the same time as the game that decided the league.

SUB of the day
19/10/2007, 9:21 PM
Much like his onfield performances, Robbie wasted his time shooting blanks.Captain fantastic? inspirational leader? DOH!!!

feo123
19/10/2007, 9:21 PM
anyone hava link?

stojkovic
19/10/2007, 9:32 PM
Can I just say one thing, would people stop getting angry at Keane for playing badly?

Oh bless his little cottons.

Meanwhile I'm off to pay (part of) my credit card bill that arrived today with all the expenses incurred travelling through four countries last month to watch Robbie play badly. Oh bless him.

And tomorrow morning I'll be down the park watching 8yos falling on the ground then jumping up waving their arms imitating their hero. Now what was it Robbie said tonight about the young players ?

Scram
19/10/2007, 9:38 PM
only caught the last five minutes........ but my god what a spin doctor..... obviously well groomed by the muppets...... kenny is a f*cking lickar*e....

ROBBIE LISTEN TO THIS WE THE FANS NOT THE MEDIA OK NOT THE MEDIA WANT CHANGE WE WANT STAN OUT AND I'D SAY AFTER YOUR PATHETIC EXCUSE RIDDEN PERFORMANCE TONIGHT YOU AS WELL

If there is one pr!ck that should be dropped to the bench it's that limp useless waster John O'Shea. Robbie's problem is that he is TOO concerned about scoring fro Ireland and can't play his natural loose football.

He was wrong about media pressure, I thing this time it was the dog wagging it's tail and not visa versa, i.e. the media were asking for Stan to go long after the supporters were.

eirebhoy
19/10/2007, 9:48 PM
Oh bless his little cottons.

Meanwhile I'm off to pay (part of) my credit card bill that arrived today with all the expenses incurred travelling through four countries last month to watch Robbie play badly. Oh bless him.

I just don't get it. Are you angry with Stan too?

Piltownpossy
19/10/2007, 9:57 PM
Media influencing the whole match going public?

Dont think so Robbie.

Players slated in the run up to games?

Again, sorry, whatever about after games but not in the run up.

2 facts - Stan should go and Robbie should be dropped for a game or two no more no less.

The booing was the crowds only way of letting the muppets know the score as no one is privilged with private audiences in Merrion Sq.

If he's the football fan he makes out, he should understand that 2 more years of this drivel is unacceptable.

DeNiro
19/10/2007, 10:02 PM
What a load of Sh1t that interview was. I would have sent him packing to Connemara like the other lot that were on! The main thing that struck me was that he kept going on about younger players being intimidated. YOU'RE the captain Robbie, why don't you protect them. Roy Keane didn't go on Parkinson and tell him Vieira was intimidating Gary Neville in the tunnel, he got stuck into Vieira himself. Why didn't Robbie Keane take the flak and do a few proper no holds barred interviews? Who's this young player who doesn't like coming over? Can't imagine it being Doyle, Long, McShane or Hunt.

cheifo
19/10/2007, 10:04 PM
Well done RTE putting his interview on the same time as the game that decided the league.

Just what I was thinking Gus.

Piltownpossy
19/10/2007, 10:06 PM
... Who's this young player who doesn't like coming over? Can't imagine it being Doyle, Long, McShane or Hunt.

McGeady?

green army
19/10/2007, 10:07 PM
if robbie had of done his job and scored goals he would not have needed to come on the show. Surely the manager must take the pressure off the players and have belief in them.pointless interview.

Philly
19/10/2007, 10:09 PM
That interview was a farce.

Firstly, I was shocked that RTE would put such a big soccer piece on the Late Late at the same time the League's decider was being played out.

As for the actual interview. Not once was Robbie asked: Why are Ireland playing so bad?

Instead he was given free-reign over the direction of the interview, with Kenny either agreeing with him or changing the topic. Kenny failed to ask one question of any consequence or press Robbie on any issue; what a wasted opportunity for him and his show.

Robbie went down in my books tonight. It's nothing to do with his on-pitch performances. Rather, it's the fact he seems to think that we should sit down and enjoy the tripe we have endured for the past year and a half, without the fans or media calling performances or management into question.

If the Irish soccer team think we are all being too harsh on them, perhaps they should up the ante and actually play well. God forbid they were born in the likes of England, Germany, France, Italy or Spain; or even Eastern European countries - where the sort of rubbish they have called football over the past few months would lead to far more than some ****ed off columnists and booing.

I think this is a defining moment for Irish international soccer. Do we sit back and accept what is going on, just like we have accepted non-qualification and a lack of direction for years; or do we actually decide to actually do things properly.

Mind you, my view remains the same that we can never truly compete on an international stage and progress far without a stronger, better run domestic game with better fan and investor support.

Not that Keane is arsed about that. He just wants the angry journalists to give him and the Gaffer a break. Extremely short-sighted.

back of the net
19/10/2007, 10:39 PM
ah thats where all the pride and passion he never showed on the field for ireland for the last 4 years has gone - he was saving it up for an apperance on the late late.

sorry robbie - wrong time , wrong place

too little too late

back of the net
19/10/2007, 10:43 PM
What a load of Sh1t that interview was. I would have sent him packing to Connemara like the other lot that were on! The main thing that struck me was that he kept going on about younger players being intimidated. YOU'RE the captain Robbie, why don't you protect them. Roy Keane didn't go on Parkinson and tell him Vieira was intimidating Gary Neville in the tunnel, he got stuck into Vieira himself. Why didn't Robbie Keane take the flak and do a few proper no holds barred interviews? Who's this young player who doesn't like coming over? Can't imagine it being Doyle, Long, McShane or Hunt.

i would say the young player was jonathan douglas - all the sh*t he got over his selection

OR

ROBBIE COULD BE TALKING ABSOLUTE BOLL*X - MMMMM I WONDER

onceahoop
19/10/2007, 10:46 PM
I think Robbie said what a lot of other people are already thinking. The current setup is a mess and he didn't really get into that but he's not defending their performances.

However, I do agree with him that the media has deteriorated in this country over the last few years (see today's Indo or Herald for example). The criticism has become personalised and abusive rather than analytical. It is reminiscent of the Sun or the Mirror hounding Robson, Taylor, Hoddle et al. I always thought we were better than that.

Staunton isn't doing the job, Robbie isn't playing as well as he can but they are not setting out to underachieve. They don't deserve the level of abuse they have received in recent weeks..... nobody does (other than serial killers, sex offenders and politicians)

The media are a disgrace in this country, but in this case they're feeding off the fact that the supporters are angry and are coming out with lurid headlines to try and sell papers.

The supporters are angry Robbie> They see a shambolic set up. They see players who don't seem to be committed and sadly, you are one of those. I watched you last Sturday and you looked disintersted, standing still, slow to react. Your glaring miss was indicitive of your performance. You weren't tuned in. Why? Only you can answer that. Stan was a great palyer for Ireland. Your defence of him was admirable but he should never have been appointed to the job. John Delaney wanted someone who he could manipulate and poor Stan is now sacrificed on the altar of expediency to protect Delaney.You would be beter off challenging the Chief Executive over his performance last night after all his promises than blaming the media. They'll write anything, based on the mood of the people, to sell papers

greendeiseboy
19/10/2007, 11:20 PM
Robbie, no one on here has a personal vendetta against stan - but we all have one thing in common and that's our love for the team. But we are sick of the lies, the excuses, the hoodwinking - we just want to see honesty on the pitch and off it

Steve Stauntons legacy as a player is and will always be legendary - any of us lucky to be at the italia 90 quarter final will remeber how he was the last player to leave the pitch as the team did the lap of honour, how he clutched with pride the tricolour

But his legacy as a manager will be something else - we know he was the wrong choice - but he also must have known it - but when all this is over i hope that he will still is revered for what he did as player and that people will see that this was an error of judgement on his part

Another point is how many young kids these days do we see wearing the jersey - very few - i have a nine year old son mad into football loves celtic - but has absolutely no interest in the national team and this seems to be a trend amonst his generation - i've taken him to games but thinks they're sh*ite

Also last wednesday there were 15 thousand who didnt show up- ok the FAI wont be to concerned they got their money - bur what happens when this is repeated when we move back to the new 45k capacity stadium and if the current situation is not resolved fast it will be catastrophic

In my opinion this situation has set us back at least 5 years in term of credibility and team building

DubJohn
19/10/2007, 11:46 PM
Robbie, no one on here has a personal vendetta against stan - but we all have one thing in common and that's our love for the team. But we are sick of the lies, the excuses, the hoodwinking - we just want to see honesty on the pitch and off it

Steve Stauntons legacy as a player is and will always be legendary - any of us lucky to be at the italia 90 quarter final will remeber how he was the last player to leave the pitch as the team did the lap of honour, how he clutched with pride the tricolour

But his legacy as a manager will be something else - we know he was the wrong choice - but he also must have known it - but when all this is over i hope that he will still is revered for what he did as player and that people will see that this was an error of judgement on his part

Another point is how many young kids these days do we see wearing the jersey - very few - i have a nine year old son mad into football loves celtic - but has absolutely no interest in the national team and this seems to be a trend amonst his generation - i've taken him to games but thinks they're sh*ite

Also last wednesday there were 15 thousand who didnt show up- ok the FAI wont be to concerned they got their money - bur what happens when this is repeated when we move back to the new 45k capacity stadium and if the current situation is not resolved fast it will be catastrophic

In my opinion this situation has set us back at least 5 years in term of credibility and team building

5 years? I'd like to be where we were five years ago right now.

Darco Ooragnak
20/10/2007, 1:10 AM
Didn`t manage to get it all..

MNPTbrzEx5w

ogja7_7MKcM

kingdom hoop
20/10/2007, 2:58 AM
:( Watched the cringe-fest live, unfortunately. I've never exhaled and and guffawed as much in twenty minutes before. Simply awful. Robbie was justifiied in questioning fans for booing (as anyone would appreciate, it's demoralising) however neither Pat (:mad:, first time I've used that emoticon I think:eek:) nor the participatory audience had the minimal common sense to point out that the boos (should there be an apostrophe there?) boo's (no, Idon't think so, boooooooooooooooooo) were not directed at the players, but at the managemnet/John Delaney.

As a result I think Robbie has left with the impression that the fans were angry at the players more so than the management. How wrong could he be?! I'm ashamed to say I was in at 9.40 tonight, why didn't I go out ten minutes earlier and I would've saved myself the bitter agony of wathcing Pat Kenny on TV??? Keh ,whe, khe, I say! Not once were the inadequacies of the team selection and tactics mooted........Argh, I'm now gonna cocoon myself from intl football until Rinus Michels is reincarnated and becomes Ireland boss with Ruud Krol discovering his granny was from Buttevant and he gloriously leads our team to international glory from left back.

kingdom hoop
20/10/2007, 3:13 AM
Just to add to that, as often as I feel I could do better than the incumbent on TV, I've rarely felt my presence was conspicuously absent from a debate as tonight. So frustrating that Robbie forthrightly proclaimed his discontent with the fans and no one had the cop-on to tell him the truth. I can understand the players felt we were getting on their back with the booing, but they (the players) need to be told they were merely a, largely, innocent conduit through wihich we tried to portray our anger at the FAI. It's unfortunate it had to happen while the game was on and the players were hit with the shrapnel - collateral damage is all Robbie, not a direct hit. Keh, whe, khe.

Noelys Guitar
20/10/2007, 3:44 AM
Thats was not good stuff from Robbie. OOOh. Please stop digging now. Nobody has any respect for what you are whinging about. Just awful interview.

kingdom hoop
20/10/2007, 4:05 AM
Thats was not good stuff from Robbie. OOOh. Please stop digging now. Nobody has any respect for what you are whinging about. Just awful interview.

I wouldn't lay much fault at Robbie's door, he's captain and must carry his duties as such. To be fair though, he's more like a flat-head screwdriver than the sharp tool in the box. He was clearly emotional, and openly willing to front up to questions, it's just that Liz Bonnin (remember her!! :cool:) was effectively asking the questions. Kenny (won't someone kill him in this episode?) seemed fixated by the, largely irrelevant for these purposes, media glare on Stan. I can hardly imagine (and I'm very imaginative!) a worse interview. I thought Robbie was quite tender, ie open to manipulation, I'm just aghast no one could tell him that, by and large, the ire was directed at Delaney et al more so than him and and his team-mates ,which was Robbie's main bone of contention - we're not angry at the player's playing badly as such, we're angry at mngt for faciliating it to happen. Is there any chance I could win a popular vote and usurp faggot-head from the Late Late? I'm ****ing better looking and all! :D

SkStu
20/10/2007, 4:07 AM
does anyone think that Delaney might have had a lot to do with organising this interview and the direction it took?

kingdom hoop
20/10/2007, 4:23 AM
does anyone think that Delaney might have had a lot to do with organising this interview and the direction it took?

Maybe, I wouldn't put anything (except for my trademark stinging 25-yard freekicks :D) past that conniving w*****. Though, serious for a moment, it seemed Robbie had requested the interview to clear the air with us fans by the tone the interview took - having a pre-planned spiel to deliver. Of course, such manipulative media tactics could also have been planned but Delaney was 'smart' enough to put Stan in as coach I doubt he'd hav the wherewithal to impliment such cunning sneakiness. Anyway, back to the point, how long will it before I take over the Late Late and have strangeirish as my first guest as the latest in a long line of Floridian comedians?

(Sorry for denigrating the thread, I'm just in that kinda mood, for a change. :))

blobbyblob
20/10/2007, 8:03 AM
:DThought the best part of the interview was where Kenny says "Yeo, Im playing for Ireland":eek:

Haven't heard "Yeo" in the sentence since Euro 88 .:D

GuisaSaigon
20/10/2007, 8:22 AM
Go out and hammer the Welsh if you want to regain some respect Robbie. Dont go crying to Pat Fcuking Kenny :mad:

EastTerracer
20/10/2007, 10:28 AM
So frustrating that Robbie forthrightly proclaimed his discontent with the fans and no one had the cop-on to tell him the truth. I can understand the players felt we were getting on their back with the booing, but they (the players) need to be told they were merely a, largely, innocent conduit through wihich we tried to portray our anger at the FAI. It's unfortunate it had to happen while the game was on and the players were hit with the shrapnel - collateral damage is all Robbie, not a direct hit. Keh, whe, khe.

I think the interview might be worth a second look. I thought Robbie was very clear at the start that hew was not having a go at the fans - the media is where his issue lies. He said that the booing doesn't help the nerves of some of the younger players but that is pretty self-evident - of course, they are going to be under pressure going into that atmosphere.

Robbie clearly stated that he thought the nature of the media attention was more negative now. Robbie, McGeady, Douglas, O'Shea, Duffer, Carsley and others have all been abused through the papers at different stages over the last year. It's one thing to say they had a bad game but quite another to say that they are useless and shouldn't be in the squad.

His first comments in the interview were that he understood the fans' frustration and he didn't claim that the performances were any good. I heard several people on Wednesday night screaming at Robbie to f**k off and not come back - from where I was sitting he ran the length and breadth of the pitch but nothing came off for him. If anything, he is trying too hard and he needs to concentrate on just playing centre-forward. Take the captaincy off him - but for christ's sake he is still one of our best five players (Shay, Finnan, Dunne and a fit Duffer being the others).

viagogo
20/10/2007, 10:48 AM
Jesus what a terrible interview. Does Robbie Keane think we are stupid or something and the media control our opinions.

Remember in the first half against Cyprus when Ireland had a free kick and Hunt lost the ball and all of a sudden it was four Cyprus against one Irish defender at the back. You wouldnt see a bunch of ten year olds making a mistake like this and this is supposed to be our national team. It was like watching a horror movie.

He moans about young players getting stick. They should get used to it. This is sport. I watch a lot of GAA and the abuse these players get is ten times worse as these guys have to go to work in there areas the next day and listen to people give out to them in pubs, restaurants and on the streets. The Irish players can go back to England and forget about it and fake an injury for the Welsh game.

I dont need the media to tell me this is ****, I know it is.