PDA

View Full Version : Best pub in dublin.

fonzi
07/05/2003, 9:56 AM
has got to be the Porter House .

fosterdollar
07/05/2003, 10:03 AM
go away outta that. You're buying into the shallow commercial superpub crap. Super expensive, super overcrowded, super no fcuking money by the time you get home.

Hartigans on Leeson Street for best local.
McSorley's in Ranelagh is nice.
Thing Mote & O'Neill's, Suffolk Street.
The Hairy Lemon, Stephen Street.
Rody Bolands can be a good laugh too.

Macy
07/05/2003, 10:24 AM
Best: 51 Haddington Road (Paddy Flaherty's) - excellent pint, excellent service and a relief from the poncey pubs in the rest of the Baggot Street area.

Others...

City Centre: Thing Moate; Hairy Lemon; Sheehans (just off Grafton Street by Dunnes); The Neptune (Abbey Street - great jukebox); Messr Maguire is okay as well.

Southside: Rody Bollands; Portobello (pub not club)

Northside: Fagans (even on a non match day)

Macy
07/05/2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Magoo
go away outta that. You're buying into the shallow commercial superpub crap. Super expensive, super overcrowded, super no fcuking money by the time you get home.
Totally agree, infact one that should be on my list is the only decent pub in temple bar - The Palace Bar (not to be confused with the youngsters nightclub on Camden Street)

Dricky
07/05/2003, 10:28 AM
The Dawsons lounge is pretty good as well, especially when they have the 6 piece jazz band there.

Ash
07/05/2003, 11:14 AM
Not a big fan of the pubs and poncy bars in Dublin but a few
decent ones are

Northside
- Fagans,Drumcondra
- Big Tree,Dorset St. - used to be good laugh but I havent been
there in years so dunno what its like now
- Molloys,Talbot St
- Jack Nealons,Caple St. - only there once but seemed decent

Southside
- Larry Murphys, Bagott St
- 51,Haddington Rd
- Keoghs,St Anne St (I think)
- O'Reillys, Tara St - havent been there in while but was Ok

Temple Bar
- Norseman - dunno if its still there cos I dont bother with that
area much but wasnt bad many moons ago!

techs
07/05/2003, 11:23 AM
O'donoghues on baggot street has a great pint and typical irish decor. its only draw back is there are too many bleedin tourists in the place

Dricky
07/05/2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Conor74

The best of all was, of course, the Garda Club. A little slice of Kerry/Mayo/Donegal in the heart of Dublin.

In the Park or the south circular road?

It's the cheap booze is the attraction there

colster
07/05/2003, 11:56 AM
Mulligans on Poolbeg Street,
Toners on Baggot Street.

Macy
07/05/2003, 12:40 PM
Harrington Street - used to live across the road, and particularly enjoyed the £1 pints on student nights.... Manys the night I nearly got killed crossing the road at about 3am after going for "a pint" :)

Dricky
07/05/2003, 12:51 PM
ANd what was around the corner Abrakababra and the Manhattan. High class dinning at three in the morning.

It's the boat club isn't it feckin good pint.

fonzi
07/05/2003, 1:05 PM
well if you enjoy drinking the usuall cr*p ,the the Porter house is not for you.
thats for sure.
however, if you have adapteda taste for fine beers. i.e. belgian german and chzec then its the place to be really.
no artificially mucked about beer here mate!
no budweiser pi*s and really nice home brews.
im sure those other pubs are all nice and well nice! but i betcha they all serve the cream of the cr*p!

pete
07/05/2003, 1:20 PM
Originally posted by Conor74
There was one near there too, McGettigan's or something near Stoneybatter that was good, but I never really liked the Wolfe Tones and I didn't have a moustache so I was an outsider there.

Haha :D

Theres no best pub anyway as depends on what you looking for.

The Barge is good in the summer when can drink outside next to the canal after work. Fagans is good for food but IMo thats about it. Not been to the Porter House for while but good spot when want to try some beers different from the normal generic bunch. Stags Head (best thing is no tv or pipped music) & Mulligans in the city good for the relaxed pint.

Dricky
07/05/2003, 1:30 PM
Theres always gravediggers