PDA

View Full Version : McGeough slams cup format

A face
07/05/2003, 12:33 AM
McGeough slams cup format

Waterford United manager Jimmy McGeough has slammed the format of the League Cup, which gathers pace tonight (Tuesday) when his side host First Division Limerick FC at the Regional Sports Centre.

The Blues are flying high in the Premier Division having taken nine points from their first five games, their only defeats coming at the hands of big two Shelbourne and Bohemians.

But McGeough, who has one of the Premier Division’s smallest squads at his disposal, feels that the League Cup is a meaningless competition, and that it would have been better suited by a knock-out format rather than the current system, which sees 24 teams compete in eight round-robin groups before the quarter-finalists are decided.

McGeough told the Irish Sun: “Nothing can be gained from this competition. I don’t mean to degrade it but it is meaningless. You can’t get into Europe [from it] and I just don’t think there’s any value in it at all.

“I don’t have a big panel so why risk serious injury to players? I’ll give my under-21s a chance because I don’t want them twiddling their thumbs or getting disillusioned.”

www.eleven-a-side.com (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/leaguecup/story.asp?newsid=5336)