PDA

View Full Version : FAI Intermediate Cup 2008

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

Footballer
28/04/2008, 11:56 AM
From what I hear it was at Bray & obviously Rockmount must of had that on their minds.

Anyway should be a great Final. Tipped the Hall from the start to win it but will be close

ball-hop
28/04/2008, 1:50 PM
Anyway should be a great Final. Tipped the Hall from the start to win it but will be close

Hope you took the generous odds available at the start for the 'Hall - I didn't and am still regretting it

champagne
28/04/2008, 2:28 PM
Congrats to Rockmount and belated congrats to the Hall on reaching the final. Outstanding achievement by both. I think that Rockmount will be too strong for them on the day - they have quality throughout, and an unbelievable knack of either scoring early and killing the game, or wearing a team down and knicking a late one.

bon2007
28/04/2008, 3:36 PM
Great to see an all cork final again and great to see the halls hard work over the last couple of years paying off and getting them into a final they deserve. Any team could take it over the ninety mins. All 22 players on the pitch throughout and a competitive match will be instore.

Clifford
28/04/2008, 11:16 PM
Clifford, best of luck in the final! Travelled down to support wayside yesterday and as you can imagine they heart sunk a little after the sending off but in fairness I thought that wayside were the better side for the sixty minutes - the heavy pitch and numerical advantage started to take its toll and rockmount started to dominate. Always thought it would be a set piece to decide this one. Second goal had more than a suspicion of offside about it! I'm sure Rocmount were delighted to reach the final but the manner in which it was celebrated in eth dressing room afterwards was nothing more than disgraceful.. In my opinion, there is only one thing worse than a bad loser in sport and that is a bad winner! Again best of luck in the final!

Cheers Lunacy, not overly sure why the celebrating at the end got to ya. It wasn't anything aimed at the Wayside lads other than the usual Cork Dublin banter. I don't speak for any of the players though so maybe I'm off the ball and there was something hidden in it, but the trip to Dublin a few weeks ago was nothing but a pleasure and relations between two fine sides was good from what I saw.

I think the overwhelming relief on Mount's behalf was that they got past such difficult opponents. Now they wake up this morning and put their minds back on the league and eventually they can turn their minds to the final. Another epic encounter in the offing, the experience and depth of Rockmounts squad against the incredible hunger and energy of the Hall lads. I'm licking my lips at the prospect of it and hope for a great day with a Mount win obviously. Don't think anyone will blame me for that. Nothing to choose between the teams though in reality.

balls
04/05/2008, 7:36 PM
what time is this match kicking off at next sunday at the cross

Clifford
05/05/2008, 9:55 PM
2pm as far as I know.

Can't wait now. Hope the day is like today.

ball-hop
06/05/2008, 8:07 AM
Cliff - as far as I know its a 3.00 kickoff. Roll on!!

champagne
06/05/2008, 8:43 AM
What is the story with the FAI Intermediate Cup final being on the same day and time as last day of the Premiership? It's not the first time it's happened - I remember Avondale and Blarney playing on the same date a couple of years ago too. This will cause a serious dent in crowd numbers for the game

Clifford
06/05/2008, 11:33 AM
MSL site has it at 3 all right. 2 or 3 makes no difference to me, I'll be there at 11am :D

No idea why it is on once again at such a stupid time. They more than likely have eliminated every neutral person who would have shown up. The people who are involved with both sides will still show up and there would I'd reckon be more than 400/500 that would have come out if there wasn't such a clash.

Defies logic as usual, unbelievable in fact.

razor
06/05/2008, 12:58 PM
They more than likely have eliminated every neutral person who would have shown up.I'll try and get there, and ye all know how neutral I am ;) :D

Clifford
06/05/2008, 4:35 PM
I'll try and get there, and ye all know how neutral I am

"Hall for the day" is spelt "Hall for the day" not neutral...:p

Or maybe you would be happy to see the Mount win it to show Dale what they could have achieved if they didn't have such goal keeping probs..;)

razor
08/05/2008, 10:20 AM
to be honest, I'd be delighted for both teams, good to see an all Cork final.

ball-hop
09/05/2008, 1:29 PM
The build up is on in earnest now - just flicked through today's Echo - great to see the publicity for the match. As one of the reporters said - this is the only show in town on Sunday. Forget the overpaid, isolated (from supporters) premiership players... this is for real.

Neighbours, friends, colleagues whom we have seen grow up giving everything for their/our clubs.

Well Clifford, I'm sure that like me you'll want to see a particular result. Yes - a great match with no contentious decisions which make a difference; 22 (or more) players at the top of their form; two sides really going at it from the first whistle; sun shining etc etc, but at end of it all, I'll settle for the 'Hall winning with a pokey goal.

May the best team win!!

Clifford
09/05/2008, 2:50 PM
The build up is on in earnest now - just flicked through today's Echo - great to see the publicity for the match. As one of the reporters said - this is the only show in town on Sunday. Forget the overpaid, isolated (from supporters) premiership players... this is for real.

Neighbours, friends, colleagues whom we have seen grow up giving everything for their/our clubs.

Well Clifford, I'm sure that like me you'll want to see a particular result. Yes - a great match with no contentious decisions which make a difference; 22 (or more) players at the top of their form; two sides really going at it from the first whistle; sun shining etc etc, but at end of it all, I'll settle for the 'Hall winning with a pokey goal.

May the best team win!!

Sun shining? Ha ha, don't cod me!

Just heard the Cork Con v Garryowen game is on at 1.15 in Musgrave park. If so then we're buggered for parking as we'll all be heading in shortly before they prob come out. Bedlam in the making. I'll have to park in Woodies or something! :D

I'll second the thoughts of Razor and Ball hop, let it be a good game and played in the right spirit. Should be a belting occasion indeed. Nervous as hell and not even thinking about the money I have riding on the outcome thanks to the 7-1 taken early in the season. Bloody hell.

Allstar
09/05/2008, 5:03 PM
Sure i thought that u said that ul b there at 11 clifford so parking shouldnt b a problem!!!!! :D

ball-hop
09/05/2008, 5:42 PM
Cashmans offering 10 to 1 for either team to win on penalties.

The egg-chasers will make the trip to the Cross a nightmare. Have they scheduled to accomodate the end of the over-hyped league across the water?? :rolleyes:

Clifford
10/05/2008, 12:13 AM
Sure i thought that u said that ul b there at 11 clifford so parking shouldnt b a problem!!!!! :D

I'll be there for the egg chasing now seeing as it's on, rah rah old chap. Pass me my scarf and whiskey flask. Spiffing. :D

Clifford
10/05/2008, 9:42 AM
Cashmans offering 10 to 1 for either team to win on penalties.

The egg-chasers will make the trip to the Cross a nightmare. Have they scheduled to accomodate the end of the over-hyped league across the water?? :rolleyes:

Oh noooo, not spotters. After the epic 25-24 shoot out with Avondale earlier this season I don't know how we'll take to them.

I believe the rugger buggers are kicking off early to accommodate rte's gaa coverage at threeish.

ball-hop
10/05/2008, 10:36 AM
Has the spotters option been introduced this season - strange that it only applies to the final. We've both had replays in the cup this season. Pity that some schedule dictates that there has to be a winner on the day.

Even there we're close - both beat the 'dale on pens this season... but not the ideal solution. Hopefully we won't need them :)

Clifford
11/05/2008, 9:17 AM
Off to the Cross, not sure about it going to spotters, but hope it finishes today for game pile up reasons.

Gutted for Alan Wheldon, get well soon mate, hope the lads do it for you.

Bon chance one and all - especially Rockmount! Come on you Green and Yellowssss...

balls
11/05/2008, 6:09 PM
rockmounts defence is awesome , Hall had plenty of chances but overall rockmount shaded it

Clifford
11/05/2008, 6:43 PM
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

razor
11/05/2008, 8:12 PM
My neutral match report.
Rockmount 2-0 Douglas Hall

Mount shaded the start but Hall gradually took control and had some golden chances which they didn't take. Mount then scored twice in a matter of minutes against the run of play. 2 Beechinor crosses and 2 excellently taken goals from Ross & Keane, Hall hit the cross bar between the goals too. Mounts excellent defence stood firm despite a really strong start to the 2nd half but again any chance Hall had they didn't take. Willies has some left foot its unreal, banished a few in the direction of Muzzers.
Mount deserved it for their ability to take their chances and I thought the ref did very well, played in the right spirit despite some handbags between Brohan and Beechinor, well spotted by the linesman.
An absolutely beautiful day, I even got a bit of sunburn. Left after the 90 minutes but I heard the Hall keeper was sent off in stoppage time for a professional foul.
What happened Weldon Cliffy?
Mount now equal with Dale on 3 Intermediate Cup wins ;)

Clifford
11/05/2008, 11:51 PM
Alan Wheldon's appendix went on Friday night. Had an operation and got it sorted hoepfully. He was there today to see the win. Slatts dedicated the match winning save to the lad as it would have been his first win in the FAI Cup final. All the players I would imagine dedicate the win to him. What an unbelievable player to bring in however - Johnny Busteed, he marked Deckie o so tightly I forgot he was playing until they put up his number to come off.

It must be heartbreaking to teams to know that if they do manage to get past Oldham/Wheldon/Busteed (seldom I know) that they then have Willie Byrne to get by. If they ever manage to get through him (seldom I know) there then is Slatto awaiting their arrival. Add in Hoey and Gearoid on the wing back slots and you see why they won the cup conceeding only 1 goal in 6/7 matches or whatever it was.

I agree with Razor, Hall bossed it more or less from the first minute til the 40th. They created nothing other than the one on one that Slatts saved crucially and the one he touched onto the bar. Against the run of play Pat Keane (not Beech Razor!) crossed beautifully for Ross to score and Beech played in a super ball for Pat himself to bury. After that it was never in doubt really, despite Mount letting Hall have most of the possession. It was more huff and puff than anything. As I said Buster nullified Deckie O and that was about the size of it.

I won't single out a man of the match, cos lads, today your all winners! Fair play.

(John was ok in the reffing job, tried to make a game of it in the sec half, got the red spot on - horrible tackle by the keeper. Had to foul him, but to nearly break him? No need.)

razor
12/05/2008, 8:11 AM
Alan Wheldon's appendix went on Friday night. Had an operation and got it sorted hoepfully.
Thats a terrible pity for the lad.

Slatts dedicated the match winning save to the lad Twas the only real save he had to make, he did well.

Against the run of play Pat Keane (not Beech Razor!) opposite side to me so wasn't positive

I won't single out a man of the match, cos lads, today your all winners! Fair play. Pat Keane got the official MOTM I think.

horrible tackle by the keeper. Had to foul him, but to nearly break him? No need.)Was gone at that stage, who did he foul?

Clifford
12/05/2008, 9:41 AM
Yeah, Pat K got man of the match and that's a good call. One of the best indeed on the day.

Mickey Deasy was clean through down the centre of the pitch. Pat Oldham was charging down the left wing for a simple pass, Mickey used Pat as a decoy knocked the ball 15 feet past the keeper and got lamped big time. Keeper had no option and we'd all have done it, but it was the comprehensive manner in which he done it disappointed me. He made sure Mickey didn't get up for about 5 minutes.

Beautiful day for it and a really good crowd came out for it. Couldn't fault either team for effort in the heat. Douglas Hall will learn from this and come back all the better for it. As Billy Cronin said on red fm, they will collect trophies along the way.

ball-hop
12/05/2008, 11:07 AM
Just into recovery mode!!

Kevin Mul's one on one and Wilkie's first half header saved for a corner and onto the bar just about sums it up.... in between Rockmount got two chances and put them away.

Fair play, they defended well as we knew they would and limited chances after that. We needed to take any chance we got. Even at 1-0, it would still have been game on for the second half, but Pat Keane's goal just before half time was a real sickener.

We'll learn from this and move on - i'm sure the core of the 'Hall team will be around for many years to come.

Smashing crowd, great occasion, pity about the result....

Well done, Rockmount - on the day, more clinical and deserving of the victory.

Clifford
12/05/2008, 1:07 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/opti76/sets/72157605006474571/

Saw this link on Peoples republic of Cork or somewhere like that. Robbed it, read their thread and ran!! Anyone familiar with it? If I've taken the link wrongly then I apologise, but it seemed to be there for everyones perusal.

Clifford
12/05/2008, 2:41 PM
From the echo front pages..

http://www.eveningecho.ie/pdf/front.pdf

Paulie Bleecker
14/05/2008, 3:59 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/opti76/sets/72157605006474571/

Saw this link on Peoples republic of Cork or somewhere like that. Robbed it, read their thread and ran!! Anyone familiar with it? If I've taken the link wrongly then I apologise, but it seemed to be there for everyones perusal.

Flickr is for everyone's perusal. It's a hosting site. In fact, if you click on individual pics and go to the "All sizes" magnifying glass you can download hi-res versions of each pic. Not all people make them available for download cos they'd be sending them into papers etc but this guy doesn't seem to be. And if he is he should make them unavailable.

And congrats to the 'Mount! Living in Dublin but have a soft spot for the club as my granddad was on the board before he passed away. Was at the Intermediate Cup finals in 99 and 04, plus a lot of FAI Cup games in my youth! Haven't been recently but it's great to see the club doing well.

Clifford
14/05/2008, 5:23 PM
Nice one Paulie, great to hear of the link to your Grandad - most likely John O Shea and all the lads would know him well. Lovely family club and as you say good to see us do well as the schoolboys set up is also flying and this helps the whole club snowball.