PDA

View Full Version : Were Irish fans right to "boo" last night?

Pages : [1] 2

L37Ultra
18/10/2007, 9:48 AM
I know they werent "booing" the team but do you think the Irish fans were right to boo after last nights match? Ireland fans are world famous for getting behind their team no matter what the situation or who they are playing. I just thought it was an all time low last night to hear Irish fans booing. What do you think?

Ash
18/10/2007, 9:59 AM
100% right to boo in my opinion.

The whole thing about Ireland fans getting behind their team no matter what
the situation or who they are playing just shows that Ireland is famous for
having some fans who are willing to put up with a substandard setup just so
people will think that they're great.

superfrank
18/10/2007, 10:01 AM
They were totally right too boo last night. It was a pathetic performance from the lads and the point was made that those fans play lots of money to turn up.

I was actually annoyed with the Irish fans for cheering when Finnan equalised.

drinkfeckarse
18/10/2007, 10:01 AM
Dead right. How else are they going to let the FAI know their displeasure. All this talk of "not being a real fan" because you boo or walk out is stupidity and snobbery of the highest order.

The whole thing is a shambles. We can't just sit there with a smile on our face because we've a reputation of being great fans.

Eire06
18/10/2007, 10:04 AM
Agree with Booing at the end of the match but not during or before.
And booing Delaney not the team.

But if people who paid €50 - €70 for match tickets want to boo to show their dissatisfaction with the team and Management they are perfectly entitled to, it is the only platform they have to voice their feelings on the matter.

an_ceannaire
18/10/2007, 10:06 AM
changing my tune a little from before, but in this case, dead right to boo. 100% right. I agree with Frank, i was annoyed at people celebrating our goal. I was disappointed when we scored. We didnt deserve it

Dirk Diggler
18/10/2007, 10:13 AM
I was disappointed aswell, as if we had lost then it might have speeded up the departure of Delaney aswell as Staunton

onenilgameover
18/10/2007, 10:24 AM
Oh hell yes!!!!

markmc
18/10/2007, 10:28 AM
i cheered when cyprus scored, i was called a traitor. the traitors are the ones that support staunton/delaney

Dotsy
18/10/2007, 10:32 AM
Last night was an all time low for the team and the FAI. The fans didn't contribute to that.

We were left with no option. I am not sure the FAI or Stan will take any notice of it but we have a right to make our feelings known especially when the the FAI are spinning that the majority of fans are behind them, the manager and this four year plan tripe.

Green Tribe
18/10/2007, 10:35 AM
there'll be no changes, delaney and staunton will stay

markmc
18/10/2007, 10:35 AM
the tickets for these games are not cheap, we are being cheated by these bunch of clowns, we should all wear black to the next game.

Dr. Ogba
18/10/2007, 10:44 AM
i don't know..."where" were they booing?

:o

razorb
18/10/2007, 11:00 AM
lads its a long time since i heard and participated in booing like last night. Remember the glorious last day of Eoin Hand in Lansdowne against the Mighty Norway! Bring Jack Back

Ceirtlis
18/10/2007, 12:04 PM
Agree with Booing at the end of the match but not during or before.
And booing Delaney not the team.

But if people who paid €50 - €70 for match tickets want to boo to show their dissatisfaction with the team and Management they are perfectly entitled to, it is the only platform they have to voice their feelings on the matter.

Agree with not booing during the match but the team deserved the booing after as much as anyone, they were the ones who put in such a bad performance.

Ireland4ever
18/10/2007, 12:05 PM
I didnt boo and i dont think its right BUT i can understand why fans booed at the end. But i thought it was an all time low when the 'fans' were booing when ireland were attacking trying to get the goal. It makes no sense.

Plus those knacker kids in the corner started booing at one stage, then they stopped and no more than 15 seconds later started chanting Stand Up For The Boys In Green.....Doesnt make any sense. :confused:

citizenerased
18/10/2007, 12:17 PM
i agree I4E, those kids were wrecking my head, starting up with that mexican wave...didnt boo myself, although i wouldnt blame anyone for doing it...

John83
18/10/2007, 12:38 PM
changing my tune a little from before, but in this case, dead right to boo. 100% right. I agree with Frank, i was annoyed at people celebrating our goal. I was disappointed when we scored. We didnt deserve it
I cheered the goal, and I didn't do a lot of booing (was speechless after the Cyprus goal, in spite of having seen it coming), but I don't blame those who did. I felt sorry for the Cypriots. They deserved 3 points.

onephillyhughes
18/10/2007, 12:49 PM
I didnt boo and i dont think its right BUT i can understand why fans booed at the end. But i thought it was an all time low when the 'fans' were booing when ireland were attacking trying to get the goal. It makes no sense.

Plus those knacker kids in the corner started booing at one stage, then they stopped and no more than 15 seconds later started chanting Stand Up For The Boys In Green.....Doesnt make any sense. :confused:

Agree 100%.

Also, cheering the goal of another nation? Not on, no matter how much you want rid of management!

SUB of the day
18/10/2007, 1:04 PM
100% right to boo in my opinion.

The whole thing about Ireland fans getting behind their team no matter what
the situation or who they are playing just shows that Ireland is famous for
having some fans who are willing to put up with a substandard setup just so
people will think that they're great.
nuff said.

Beavis
18/10/2007, 1:26 PM
Fair enough if people wanted to boo but I wouldnt do it myself. What annoys me is how the only time most of yiz made any noise was when you got the chance to abuse manager and team. People say 'I pay hundreds of euros to have the right to boo', I dont think your right to express should be based on financial imput but rather your vocal imput and support.If Ireland fans were singing and supporting the team vocally all game and dont think the team are matching their efforts then I think you have the right.If you sit on your @rse passing criticisms for the entire game expecting the to be entertained then you dont have the right.
As Humphreys said, your only customers now.

Another thing that annoys me is the level of abuse that people hurl at Stan forgetting how much he gave to Ireland over the years,winning over 100 caps, and like anyone,understandably said yes to an opportunity to manage his country, but now a 'fu cken arsehole'. Dislike his managing techniques, style, job performance etc, but theres no need to attack him as a person. Hes just a man who wasnt that good at his job,not a criminal.

an_ceannaire
18/10/2007, 1:28 PM
I always preferred Butthead.......

Lionel Ritchie
18/10/2007, 1:35 PM
Another thing that annoys me is the level of abuse that people hurl at Stan forgetting how much he gave to Ireland over the years,winning over 100 caps, and like anyone,understandably said yes to an opportunity to manage his country..... Paul McGrath, Roy Keane, Liam Brady, Frank Stapleton and anyone else you care to mention who are sinonamous with Irish football would get similar levels of abuse if they'd repeatedly demonstrated the levels of gross incompetence, ineptitude and utter, utter self-dillusion that Stan has made his hallmark.

Beavis
18/10/2007, 1:46 PM
Paul McGrath, Roy Keane, Liam Brady, Frank Stapleton and anyone else you care to mention who are sinonamous with Irish football would get similar levels of abuse if they'd repeatedly demonstrated the levels of gross incompetence

Yeah and its idiotic.They are better footballers than you have or will ever be.I'd only abuse if they werent trying. Ireland players rarely if ever dont try. If they did I'd be the first to shout.
Take Robbie for example,what should he do on the back of a few bad games, in order to avoid becoming a 'b ollox' in the view of the fans?refuse to play?surely that would be the decent thing to do

Bluechip
18/10/2007, 1:50 PM
Perfectly right, Displeasure has to be expressed and it's the only way. Thats what made the news this morning.

Dotsy
18/10/2007, 2:38 PM
I wouldn't imagine that many people went to the match last night expecting to be entertained given the performances in the rest of the campaign. I say it was more hope than expectation.

When the manager and the FAI continually spin that it is only a minority of fans that are not happy what option are we left with, but to boo.

Lionel Ritchie
18/10/2007, 3:17 PM
Yeah and its idiotic.They are better footballers than you have or will ever be.I'd only abuse if they werent trying. Ireland players rarely if ever dont try. If they did I'd be the first to shout.
Take Robbie for example,what should he do on the back of a few bad games, in order to avoid becoming a 'b ollox' in the view of the fans?refuse to play?surely that would be the decent thing to do

Trying isn't good enough. Sorry. I'll try me feckin heart out and I'll do it for free. He's not up to the job. How many more servings of evidence are needed?

As for Robbie -he should take a close look at his scoring profile over the last campaign and ask himself "has being captain helped or hindered or been a neutral factor in the execution of my primary function -getting goals?"

If he wants to make a big deal out of relinquishing the arm-band he should then "do a Beckham" on it and stammer his way through a prepared statement saying it's been a blast and an honour but now it's time to concentrate on what he's supposed to do best.

Beavis
18/10/2007, 3:50 PM
Trying isn't good enough. Sorry. I'll try me feckin heart out and I'll do it for free. He's not up to the job. How many more servings of evidence are needed?

Youre right he is not up to the job,I said I hadnt any real problem with the booing but you admit that you could try and not be good enough, and therefore under the fans criteria, you deserve to be subject to a tirade of personal abuse, preferably delivered from some seething tub of lard.
On the other hand someone who has voluntarily neglected the irish cause eg Daddy Dick, I would happily see torn apart.

Armando
18/10/2007, 4:02 PM
Here's my take on the matter that i posted in another thread;

I was at the game last night and was thinking about this very thing. In my eyes actively booing your own team during 90 minutes play is definitely wrong. I was raging as much as anyone else but I could not bring myself to booing my own players or booing for any reason while play is going on. I mean there were fans at the game last night booing us when an attack broke down or someone mis controlled a ball...what purpose does that serve? They are not playing **** on purpose.

So, anyway I was thinking is there any other way to show our displeasure other than booing our own team while they are representing us on the pitch and I came up with an idea that definitely would have shown our frustration, but without rallying against our own team during the game.

What if instead of fans leaving early and then flooding out on the final whistle we stayed were we were and chanted for the next 30 minutes 'We want Delaney Out / We want Staunton Out' etc.
This would have got massive coverage because it is not the normal way that these things go down and would sure as hell have got our message across.

I think wheter Staunton is gone or not come the Wales game this is what those of us going to that game should still do. We need to get rid of the powers that be, they can't get away with it yet again - they are destoying the soul of our national team. I am dreading going to that game and having to sit through fans venting their frustrations during the game and getting on our players backs. So, why don't we back the lads during the game and then come the final whistle vent all our frustrations in a 30 minute demonstration?

I think it would be a powerful message and only wish I had thought of it before these home games and got the ball rolling on it because it would have been perfect after last nights shambles.

upkerry
18/10/2007, 5:26 PM
No matter how frustrating it gets a true Irish fan should never boo the team. What we should organise is some kind of Rally outside Merrion square.

John83
18/10/2007, 5:45 PM
...As for Robbie -he should take a close look at his scoring profile over the last campaign and ask himself "has being captain helped or hindered or been a neutral factor in the execution of my primary function -getting goals?" ...
I don't think Robbie would use big words like that.

pineapple stu
18/10/2007, 5:50 PM
Fans were absolultely right to boo. It's not just about the match; the booing is being used as a soundtrack to put Delaney under more pressure on the news and al over the media, which can only be good.

However, it should be noted that, even after the Cypriot goal, when the team were going forward, the crowd got right behind them again. Don't see a problem with that.

SuperDub
18/10/2007, 6:50 PM
Stauntan was a loyal servant over a long international career and the abuse hes had to to take from the media and the fans is just disgusting.

As much as i think hes not the right choice for the job i really felt sorry for him last night as it has been a tough few months for him and i alsio think irish fans have become very fickle lot

pineapple stu
18/10/2007, 6:53 PM
Stauntan was a loyal servant over a long international career and the abuse hes had to to take from the media and the fans is just disgusting.
We've been loyal servants just as long, if not longer, and the abuse we've had to take from the pitch has also been disgusting.

stojkovic
18/10/2007, 7:38 PM
I didnt boo last night, not that i disagree with it.

But neither did I celebrate our goal (nor did Finnan to his credit).

And I actually laughed when Cyprus scored. Not deliberately, it was just an explosion of emotional disbelief.

PS Not to be pedantic but Hand's last game was Denmark (1-4).

Torn-Ado
18/10/2007, 11:49 PM
I booed. I booed during the game, I booed after the game. I booed the management, the board and the players. Why do people say we shouldn't boo the players, as if they are completely blameless. They are ones who play on the park and the majority of the blame should be aimed at them.

Beavis
19/10/2007, 10:11 AM
I booed. I booed during the game, I booed after the game. I booed the management, the board and the players. Why do people say we shouldn't boo the players, as if they are completely blameless. They are ones who play on the park and the majority of the blame should be aimed at them.

Yeah and you were too busy doing that to realise there was a game of relevance on in front of you. When the team needs the supporters most what do we do?:rolleyes:

Modern-day Ireland fans are completely caught up in (and dictated by) the tabloid culture of baying for blood which, for years previous, we looked on in Britain with disdain.

Kilcruise
19/10/2007, 11:51 AM
aGREE 100 PER CENT WITH THE BOOING. ONLY FOR ADDED TIME CYPRUS HAD BEATEN US WELL. CAN YOU IMAGINE TWO DEAFEAT BY CYPRUS. ALSO WE COULD NOW FINISH BELOW THEM AND SLOVAKIA CAN YOU IMAGINE THAT. WHAT A TERRBILE PERFORMANCE BY TEAM,MANAGEMENT AND ADMISNISTRATION

L37Ultra
19/10/2007, 12:10 PM
Modern-day Ireland fans are completely caught up in (and dictated by) the tabloid culture of baying for blood which, for years previous, we looked on in Britain with disdain.

Thats very true. The tabloids were looking for Stans head straight away after he was appointed. It was because he was not this big name world-class manager who would sell papers and make headlines. Most Irish fans fell for this and got on Stans back even before his first competitive match as they were judging him on friendlies instead of getting behind the team for the qualifiers. At this stage I agree with the sacking of Stan but not for the lack of trying. It was unfair on the man to be given such a job in the public eye without any experience. Doctors and Lawyers etc... do nothave get appointed in a job where they have no experience. Stan went from reserve team coach at Walsall to Ireland manager. It makes no sense. I believe the Irish fans who booed against Cyprus were doing so to make their views heard on the current situation and management team. It was nothing got to do with not being a real fan. They wouldnt have stayed on to watch that ****e if they werent so called "real fans". I think once Deleany heard this booing he realised it was about time he looked at the current management team as if he doesnt Irish soccer is on a very slippery slope :ball:

Newryrep
19/10/2007, 12:25 PM
I think we were entitled to boo after that performance/group performance, if nothing else to register our unhappiness. Delaney now knows he has to sacrifice somebody and it isnt going to be him.

First time ever never celebrated an Ireland goal.:mad:

While i understand where the tabloid comment comes front it will be a cold day in hell get lead by a tabloid agenda

Docboy
19/10/2007, 1:40 PM
I for one can state categorically that I'm not being led by a tabloid agenda in wanting Stan to go. Having watched Ireland for over 20 years at this stage, the one thing we could always count on was a solid formation and a decent team spirit/work ethic. This campaign has staggered from bad to worse in that regard. The positive spin after the German game was rubbish as it was evident to anyone with a knowledge of the game that they came here with no intention of winning the game.

Had my doubts initially about Stan, along with most of us, and these have been proved correct over the course of this campaign. Now are we meant to stand back and watch while he ruins another campaign? I booed at the end of the game and while I didn't feel good doing it, I did feel it was necessary.

Beavis
19/10/2007, 4:27 PM
I for one can state categorically that I'm not being led by a tabloid agenda in wanting Stan to go. Having watched Ireland for over 20 years at this stage, the one thing we could always count on was a solid formation and a decent team spirit/work ethic. This campaign has staggered from bad to worse in that regard. The positive spin after the German game was rubbish as it was evident to anyone with a knowledge of the game that they came here with no intention of winning the game.

Had my doubts initially about Stan, along with most of us, and these have been proved correct over the course of this campaign. Now are we meant to stand back and watch while he ruins another campaign? I booed at the end of the game and while I didn't feel good doing it, I did feel it was necessary.

Losing sight of the initial point.Its not the disgust at performances and results, which everyone is feeling, my point regards the nature of the abuse towards a great servant of irish sport for nearly 20 years, not merely just considering the previous 18 months. It has become acceptable only in the last few years, in this country, and is driven by the tabloid's expansion of attacks beyond the profession to issues as low as family matters and personal integrity. I for one dont accept it and wont use the Sun as bogroll since the disgraceful 'Muppet' front page.
Case in point, the signature of the above poster, clearly swept away in the hysteria of the public lynching. Unintentionally, not being good at your job does not warrant being called a fu ckwit.

Scram
19/10/2007, 9:42 PM
The answer is yes, otherwise the Muppets in the FAI would not even consider getting rid of Stan.

onceahoop
19/10/2007, 11:09 PM
I've never walked out on a game, despite some awful performances, but I was tempted last night after Cyprus scored. I booed after the game, probably for the first time in my life. Abysmal performance and I felt the fans had to indicate their frustration with the way things have gone.

We're customers and if we don't get satisfaction we're entitled to complain.:mad:

Newryrep
20/10/2007, 9:09 AM
my point regards the nature of the abuse towards a great servant of irish sport for nearly 20 years, not merely just considering the previous 18 months. It has become acceptable only in the last few years, in this country, and is driven by the tabloid's expansion of attacks beyond the profession to issues as low as family matters and personal integrity. I for one dont accept it and wont use the Sun as bogroll since the disgraceful 'Muppet' front page.
Case in point, the signature of the above poster, clearly swept away in the hysteria of the public lynching. Unintentionally, not being good at your job does not warrant being called a fu ckwit.

Beavis i do agree with you as regards the personnel abuse towards Staunton

The Sun always is/was a disgrace of a newspaper - why Irish people buy it is one of lifes great mysteries.

Saint Tom
20/10/2007, 11:19 AM
I have and many others have been at every game in this qualification series. We have taken time off work, spent a fortune, been loyal and kept our part of the bargain.

what we have beengiven in return is beyond contempt and booing is the only way we can register our dissatisfaction, because unlike Delaney, the media doesnt want my opinion.

If he is still CEO in Cardiff I propose a massive protest. Unlike a home game, you dont get the bandwagoners and he cannot spin the protest if the hardcore are against him

bennocelt
20/10/2007, 2:57 PM
No matter how frustrating it gets a true Irish fan should never boo the team. What we should organise is some kind of Rally outside Merrion square.

get off the high horse....................if you cant boo and show your dissapointment then what.......clap?:rolleyes:

paddywhack
20/10/2007, 4:41 PM
i agree, its every fans right to boo. fans boo ex-rangers players every time they play against Ireland because they play or played for a Scottish side..yet we can not boo when our national team is being made a laughing stock in front of the world, and the players don't want to play for a Muppet like
staunton despite Robbie Keane being rolled out on the late late show in a show of support for Stan

CollegeTillIDie
20/10/2007, 4:46 PM
Stan even conceded the fans were right to boo the first half performance in his post match interview. '' It wasn't good enough and the second half was a little better but still not good enough ''.

SuperDave
20/10/2007, 9:08 PM
I have and many others have been at every game in this qualification series. We have taken time off work, spent a fortune, been loyal and kept our part of the bargain.

what we have beengiven in return is beyond contempt and booing is the only way we can register our dissatisfaction, because unlike Delaney, the media doesnt want my opinion.

If he is still CEO in Cardiff I propose a massive protest. Unlike a home game, you dont get the bandwagoners and he cannot spin the protest if the hardcore are against him

bingo. a big protest at that game would surely attract media coverage here. like ten black t shirts with the letters D-E-L-A-N-E-Y - O-U-T. Though of course you need good seats (although of course the stadium will be nearly empty) and everyones agreement to do it. Plus media might miss it. still, cardiff is the place for a protest. I'll join a protest.