17/10/2007, 8:31 PM
Out te F***:mad:

dortie
17/10/2007, 8:39 PM
Out te F***:mad:

Very poor stuff tonight, painful.

Flume
17/10/2007, 8:54 PM
Very painfull. Surely delaney will get rid now. Just out of interest, if the fai do decide to get rid of stan, they have to pay him off.Then posibily pay compensation for a new coach. Then pay him a big deal. Any chance it will take money away from the league?

DmanDmythDledge
17/10/2007, 8:55 PM
Any chance it will take money away from the league?
They just got a €10m windfall recently so it shouldn't.

Anto McC
17/10/2007, 9:29 PM
Can someone move this to the Ireland part of the forum, we discuss real football here.

Sheridan
17/10/2007, 9:34 PM
Indeed. FWIW, the FAI should replace Staunton with a kid on work experience and use the money saved where it's needed; on IRISH football.

Réiteoir
17/10/2007, 9:44 PM
This thread is irrelevant in this section - the FAI don't give a flying **** about us or the League

Except when they need beer money for the latest junket

Sam_Heggy
17/10/2007, 9:59 PM
Hows about a mass email on the FAI to get a team made up totally of eircom league players for the Wales game?
I mean they would do a hell of a lot better than those money grabbing fudge packers than represented our country tonight.
Over paid and over rated.

Billy Lord
17/10/2007, 11:58 PM
International football is for clueless kids, bored housewives and dumb no-mates down the pub who wished the GAA was 'just like the Premiership'. Long live Stan. The Irish public deserves nothing better.

eamo1
18/10/2007, 12:07 AM
this is where the real stuff is talked about,like in the coming month the race for european places,the relegation dogfight and the promotion tussle in the first division.so move this thread please.

SkStu
18/10/2007, 12:19 AM
The Irish public deserves nothing better.

endorsed. 100% agree.

Snoop Drog
18/10/2007, 6:39 AM
International football is for clueless kids, bored housewives and dumb no-mates down the pub who wished the GAA was 'just like the Premiership'.

Jeez Billy Lord, you've made enough posts in the Irish team forums yourself for a man with that attitude.:confused:

Macy
18/10/2007, 7:29 AM
Delaney must go. If this get's rid of him, Staunton's term as manager will have been of benefit to Irish football.

Réiteoir
18/10/2007, 8:05 AM
Roddy Collins and that baldie Cork fella from the RTE coverage of the League as joint Chief-Execs

Mr A
18/10/2007, 8:09 AM
Whatever people's feelings about the FAI etc the Irish National team is the epicentre of football in this country for most people and is therefore relevant to our league. An Irish team that qualifies for major tournaments and captures the public imagination can only help attract more youngsters into football.

TonyD
18/10/2007, 8:43 AM
Disagree. The most successful period ever in Irish International football, the Charlton era, did bugger all to improve the league. I'm delighted this morning, particularly for the whole Delaney/Anti Kerr Brigade. Chickens coming home to roost big time.

Dodge
18/10/2007, 8:51 AM
Disagree. The most successful period ever in Irish International football, the Charlton era, did bugger all to improve the league

In fairness he said it'd attract them to football, not the league.

Anyway Staunton/Delaney going won't help the league either. All it will do is force someone on the FAI to get more money together for the national team and appoint another foreign lad with even less interest in our league (if possible)

It'll also strengthen the calls for a return to us plundering the depths of the granny rule. Alex bruce ffs...

Mr_T
18/10/2007, 8:59 AM
Disagree. The most successful period ever in Irish International football, the Charlton era, did bugger all to improve the league. I'm delighted this morning, particularly for the whole Delaney/Anti Kerr Brigade. Chickens coming home to roost big time.

This is more to do with the league being run in a shambolically bad manner and therefore failing to capitalise on the upsurge in interest in Irish football arising from the success of the National team.

I grew up on Euro 88 and Italia 90, I was 13 when Packie saved that peno and I will never forget it for the rest of my life. If it wasn't for that kinda experience maybe I'd never have gotten as into football, god knows where i'd have ended up with Donegal winning Sam Maguire 2 years later!! :eek:

Like it or not Mr A is right, a successful national team is relevant to everyone involved in football on this island.

And I'm far from championing the cause of the "Greatest Fans in the World" plastic paddy brigade which attached themselves to the National team when it suddenly became popular, like some posters I've no sympathy for them crying into their pints. However, generalising all supporters of the National team as such is unfair, and I personally find the other, more self righteous, "True Fan" brigade who like think they are far too cool for anything which is popular with the great unwashed equally as ridiculous.

Back on topic, I agree that this thread doesn't belong on this forum.

EDIT, although some of the posts above probably mean it now does!! :)

dublinred
18/10/2007, 9:05 AM
Can we rejoin the IFA?

superfrank
18/10/2007, 9:10 AM
Can we rejoin the IFA?
:rolleyes:

Firstly, this thread should be moved.

Secondly, whether the FAI "should" get rid of everyone is open to debate. The fact is, though, they won't. Staunton's only two years into the "four-year plan" and there's even less chance of Delaney going.

CuanaD
18/10/2007, 9:43 AM
I gave up caring about this 'Irish' team a couple of years ago.

Until it includes a fair representation of players born, living & working in Ireland I'll continue to not care.

razor
18/10/2007, 10:08 AM
that baldie Cork fella from the RTE coverage of the League You mean Davey Barry?, one of the greatest players this country has ever seen?

bohsmug
18/10/2007, 10:30 AM
You mean Davey Barry?, one of the greatest players this country has ever seen?

:eek:

You might be going just a bit too far on that one!

joeSoap
18/10/2007, 10:40 AM
You mean Davey Barry?, one of the greatest players this country has ever seen?One of the greatest Gaelic Footballers alright....thats about as far as his 'greatness' ever went outside of Langerland.

dcfcsteve
18/10/2007, 10:54 AM
There is zero chance of Delaney going. The FAI will avoid any serious flack over the Irish international set-up - bar in the odd non-tabloid paper.

I'll toss a controversial viewpoint into the mix here. Staunton is a poor international manager - granted. But we're also a poor international team. We should be beating the likes of Cyprus and Israel - but we havn't. Twice.

So maybe it's those of us who expect a country of 4m people to be towards the top of the footballing tree permanently who are being unrealistic ? Look at our team - only Shay Givens is a player of serious quality. Duff is injured, and Robbie Keane is broadly inconsistent. The rest of our squad is frankly make-weight.

Staunton is poor - certainly no better than Kerr. But maybe, just maybe, we're where we are in the table because that's only as good as we are......? :eek:

We're in serious danger of turning into the English fans and media here - with constantly over-hyped expectations that do not reflect the varying quality of our squad. We have a weak international team at the moment. They don't help themselves by under-performing, but I doubt we'd have qualified form that group regardless. As Dafydd would say, time for every football fan in the village to just "Get over it"

:ball:

Boh_So_Good
18/10/2007, 10:56 AM
Some points for last night which kept me awake last night.

The players were rubbish. They did not care. Any LOI top club would have given the Cypriots a game last night. Why this need to constantly defend the "poor Irish players" in the media - they are as bad as Stan and Delaney. Perhaps even worse in many ways. But instead we are expected to adore them because RTE loves English football. They are somehow infallible. Would Stephen Ireland's muppetry be tolerated in any other country. He would never wear the national jersey ever again. Simple as that. Instead all the resources of the FAI and Irish media help the "poor lad". WTF?

Secondly, it is now very possible that the ROI, England, Scotland, NI and Wales will all miss out on the finals.

This tells me the "Pie 'n Mash" British soccer tradition cannot compete anymore. The "have a go" mindset of Stan and Co. is a old joke. Smaller European nations send no players to the land of RTE Soccer West Dreams and still qualify. But in this country we still see the road to success paved in British failure.

When are the morons in the country; the media, the FAI, most of the fans get it into their heads that it going to take more than a bizarre fantasy world that you grew up in Lancanshire to get a top Irish side into major finals. I was watching the RTE 1 o CLock news last night and they announce with a sense of shock and deep seriousness that Bolton have let their manager go as the top news story. What the hell has that got to do with sport in this country? Nothing. Could you imagine the TV news in the Czech Republic having as their main sport story that the manager of Wolfsburg with no Czech connections was fired.

The decades of Britball/National Identity Crises in this country have truly come home to roost.

Sam_Heggy
18/10/2007, 12:13 PM
Just on the radio about the FAI set to offer Stan a pay off.

Angus
18/10/2007, 1:01 PM

The players were rubbish. They did not care.

This is the key. The quality of international football is at an all time low. BY and large the players view it as an inconvenience (except, in fairness, when they get to the business end of tournaments - view the effort of the Italians last time, or the French and Portugese in 2000).

Coaches are broadly reject club coaches who could not get a better gig elsewhere and for some reason, the convenient expediency of ensuring that somebody else is to blame for failure rather than the coach himself is all powerful.

Witness the sheer tactical and courageous ineptness of the Italians and Spanish in 2002, or Perfidious Albion in every tournament since 1990 - hence you get Turkey in 2002, Greece in 2004, Bulgaria in 1994 etc etc all beating so called decent sides.

By the way, result of the night last night was Liechtenstein.

mypost
18/10/2007, 5:37 PM
So maybe it's those of us who expect a country of 4m people to be towards the top of the footballing tree permanently who are being unrealistic ? But maybe, just maybe, we're where we are in the table because that's only as good as we are......? :eek:

We're in serious danger of turning into the English fans and media here - with constantly over-hyped expectations

Expecting to beat Cyprus twice, looking to beat SM before injury time, and to hold on to a lead in the last minute in Slovakia are not over-hyped expectations, they are standard demands which a competent coach at this level should be more than capable of delivering, whether the team is decent or not. We're not expecting our boss to win the WC like England do, we expect the team to be competitive in international football. When you're tossed out of the qualifiers with 3 games to go, the press and public will react in a suitable manner.

We don't have that bad a squad, we even have a CL winner in our ranks. With the right coaching, and a dose of professionalism brought in, we could be top 10 in the world material, not struggling to finish third in a poor qualifying group. It's quite clear who is to blame for the situation, and we demand that action is taken against those concerned, so that we're not here in 2 years time, wondering why we're not going to South Africa.

dcfcsteve
18/10/2007, 6:30 PM
Expecting to beat Cyprus twice, looking to beat SM before injury time, and to hold on to a lead in the last minute in Slovakia are not over-hyped expectations, they are standard demands which a competent coach at this level should be more than capable of delivering, whether the team is decent or not. We're not expecting our boss to win the WC like England do, we expect the team to be competitive in international football. When you're tossed out of the qualifiers with 3 games to go, the press and public will react in a suitable manner.

We don't have that bad a squad, we even have a CL winner in our ranks. With the right coaching, and a dose of professionalism brought in, we could be top 10 in the world material, not struggling to finish third in a poor qualifying group. It's quite clear who is to blame for the situation, and we demand that action is taken against those concerned, so that we're not here in 2 years time, wondering why we're not going to South Africa.

I hear what you're saying, but results don't lie !

We're not talking one-off freak results here - we've finished mid-table in our group for 2 tournaments in a row, largely due to our inability to beat other mid-to-lower table teams. We failed to beat Israel home or away in the last campaign, and we failed to beat Slovakia away and Cyprus home or away this time round. One of those results in isolation would've been excusable/forgettable. All 5 of them suggest an underlying trend.

So what if we have a CL winner in our squad ? Such is the international reach of top footballing clubs these days, that having a single CL winner in a mediocre international team is almost par for the course. Current international footballing giants with a CL winner in their team include Finland, Australia, Mali, Norway, Lithuania, sweden and South Africa. Until a round of international retirements earlier this year, that list also included Trinidad & Tobago, Wales and Bosnia. I doubt there's any teams there we'd lose sleep over having to play against.

Our team is under-performing - for sure. But we also do not have the potential to be a Top 10 global footballing nation for the forseeable future either - that's absolutely for sure.

Anto McC
18/10/2007, 6:58 PM
I gave up caring about this 'Irish' team a couple of years ago.

Until it includes a fair representation of players born, living & working in Ireland I'll continue to not care.

The players were rubbish. They did not care. Any LOI top club would have given the Cypriots a game last night. Why this need to constantly defend the "poor Irish players" in the media - they are as bad as Stan and Delaney. Perhaps even worse in many ways. But instead we are expected to adore them because RTE loves English football. They are somehow infallible. Would Stephen Ireland's muppetry be tolerated in any other country. He would never wear the national jersey ever again. Simple as that. Instead all the resources of the FAI and Irish media help the "poor lad". WTF?

Secondly, it is now very possible that the ROI, England, Scotland, NI and Wales will all miss out on the finals.

This tells me the "Pie 'n Mash" British soccer tradition cannot compete anymore. The "have a go" mindset of Stan and Co. is a old joke. Smaller European nations send no players to the land of RTE Soccer West Dreams and still qualify. But in this country we still see the road to success paved in British failure.

When are the morons in the country; the media, the FAI, most of the fans get it into their heads that it going to take more than a bizarre fantasy world that you grew up in Lancanshire to get a top Irish side into major finals. I was watching the RTE 1 o CLock news last night and they announce with a sense of shock and deep seriousness that Bolton have let their manager go as the top news story. What the hell has that got to do with sport in this country? Nothing. Could you imagine the TV news in the Czech Republic having as their main sport story that the manager of Wolfsburg with no Czech connections was fired.

The decades of Britball/National Identity Crises in this country have truly come home to roost.

CuanaD and Boh so good, you have somewhat restored my faith in football fans in this country. Great points, you're both spot on.

Since Stan took over i've been delighted because i get to see the reaction of the goons that support the national team. I get to see them cry into their pints and say something like "That was depressing, if Liverpool lose on the weekend too, i'll top myself"

bennocelt
20/10/2007, 1:03 PM
I'll toss a controversial viewpoint into the mix here. Staunton is a poor international manager - granted. But we're also a poor international team. We should be beating the likes of Cyprus and Israel - but we havn't. Twice.

So maybe it's those of us who expect a country of 4m people to be towards the top of the footballing tree permanently who are being unrealistic ? Look at our team - only Shay Givens is a player of serious quality. Duff is injured, and Robbie Keane is broadly inconsistent. The rest of our squad is frankly make-weight.

im sorry but i dont agree with that, .so we are a small country so we should think small! balls to that......i remember latvia and slovenia qualifying for tournaments
we have the players but we need a decent manager...........its as simple as that..................just look at the downward spiral of Norn Iron.....same team but different managers..........

CollegeTillIDie
20/10/2007, 1:10 PM
Cuana D

While giving up caring about the Irish team is your own business, the results , performances and attitude of some of those over paid prats might even warrant it; the fact remains that there are more Irish born players in the present squad than at any time since we regularly chose League of Ireland Players. And using your logic David O'Leary and Paul McGrath were both born greater London!

dcfcsteve
21/10/2007, 6:07 PM
im sorry but i dont agree with that, .so we are a small country so we should think small! balls to that......i remember latvia and slovenia qualifying for tournaments
we have the players but we need a decent manager...........its as simple as that..................just look at the downward spiral of Norn Iron.....same team but different managers..........

So you think Ireland deserves to be towards the top of the global footballing tree permanently ? :confused: Name me another country of 4m people that is ? In fact - name me a country with a population of less than 15m that is a consistently good performer in Europe (don't even dare to suggest Sweden or Denmark, btw ! :eek:) ?

I don't think Norn Iron is a good example to give. They just went from woeful, to temporarily quite good, and have slipped back to woeful again. Manager's aside - the good bit is a blip in their last 15-20 years of performances. Regardless of the numerous manager's they've had over that period.

bennocelt
22/10/2007, 11:29 AM
So you think Ireland deserves to be towards the top of the global footballing tree permanently ? :confused: Name me another country of 4m people that is ? In fact - name me a country with a population of less than 15m that is a consistently good performer in Europe (don't even dare to suggest Sweden or Denmark, btw ! :eek:) ?

I don't think Norn Iron is a good example to give. They just went from woeful, to temporarily quite good, and have slipped back to woeful again. Manager's aside - the good bit is a blip in their last 15-20 years of performances. Regardless of the numerous manager's they've had over that period.

sure China with its population should have at least 5 world cups by now:rolleyes:

JC_GUFC
22/10/2007, 12:11 PM

Look at the **** that's happening at Wales at the moment. It's the players who're taking the flak. They lost 3-1 in Cyprus and only won 2-1 in San Marino - I know a team who did worse than that and it's the manager that's getting the boot.

They players ARE good enough. They're just not committed enough.

With an international team including, Given, Dunne, Finnan, Duff, Doyle and when he's arsed Robbie Keane we should be able to give any team a run for their money.

The pathetic performances being delivered by these lads are unacceptable. Most international players are passionate about playing for their countries but look at the English, Irish, Northern Irish and Welsh players at the moment and it's anything but that.

It strikes me that these guys all think they're superstars because they listen to the Sky hype.

I genuinely believe one of the major mistakes in the international team's recent history was making Robbie Keane captain. His attitude should be an example to nobody.

dcfcsteve
22/10/2007, 1:42 PM
sure China with its population should have at least 5 world cups by now:rolleyes:

Not the point, as well you know..... :rolleyes:

I'll ask again - do you honestly think Ireland should be consistently at the upper end of world football ? And can you name me any country with a population below 15m that is ?

Armando
22/10/2007, 2:07 PM
Not the point, as well you know..... :rolleyes:

I'll ask again - do you honestly think Ireland should be consistently at the upper end of world football ? And can you name me any country with a population below 15m that is ?

Portugal, Czech Republic...and possibly Holland?

...and why can't we suggest Sweden? They have been performing consistently well for years now.

dcfcsteve
22/10/2007, 2:23 PM
Portugal
...and possibly Holland?

Holland is over 16m+

Portugal has a population of just over 10m. However - it's only in the last 5 or so years that they've been at the higher levels of the footballing tree.

They've only qualified for 4 world cups (66, 86, 02, 06). Two of those have been in the last 5 years - meaning that up until 2000, the footballing power-house that is Norn Iron had been to more World Cups than them. Unlike the north, Portugal went out on the First rounds in both 1986 and 2002.

Portuguese football has therefore been far from consistently at the upper level in world football. They've had 2 strong periods - the mid 60's, with Eusebio, and their current period. Beyond that they've been distinctly average. Even with a population 2.5 times the sze of ours.

dcfcsteve
22/10/2007, 2:26 PM
Portugal, Czech Republic...and possibly Holland?

...and why can't we suggest Sweden? They have been performing consistently well for years now.

I've requoted you as you've added two new countries since my previous response.

Sweden have been nothing like a consistently high-flying performer in world football - that's why you can't give them as an example. They've only qualified for 2 World cups, and it took them even longer than the Republic to make their first (1994). Their recent results against NI also show their inconsistency. The Czechs haven't been around for that long in all fairness. Even if they did inherit much of the mantle of the previous Czechoslovakia team, it still took them 12 years to make their first World Cup (last year) - where they went out in the First Round.

World football did not begin in the last decade....

gspain
22/10/2007, 2:45 PM
I've requoted you as you've added two new countries since my previous response.

Sweden have been nothing like a consistently high-flying performer in world football - that's why you can't give them as an example. They've only qualified for 2 World cups, and it took them even longer than the Republic to make their first (1994). Their recent results against NI also show their inconsistency. The Czechs haven't been around for that long in all fairness. Even if they did inherit much of the mantle of the previous Czechoslovakia team, it still took them 12 years to make their first World Cup (last year) - where they went out in the First Round.

World football did not begin in the last decade....

Far from qualifying in 1994 for the first time

Sweden's WC record includes

1934 quarter finals
1938 4th place
1950 3rd place
1958 runners up
1970 group stages
1974 2nd phase
1978 group stages
1990 Group stages

I may have missed something but I think that is pretty impressive.

They were also 3rd in 1994 so a runners up spot, 2 3rds isn't bad.

Calcio Jack
22/10/2007, 2:56 PM

1934 quarter finals
1938 4th place
1950 3rd place
1958 runners up
1970 group stages
1974 2nd phase
1978 group stages
1990 Group stages

To complete the stats, they also qualified for both the 2002 and 2006 finals

dcfcsteve you're right World football didn't just begin in the last decade !!

dcfcsteve
22/10/2007, 3:24 PM

1934 quarter finals
1938 4th place
1950 3rd place
1958 runners up
1970 group stages
1974 2nd phase
1978 group stages
1990 Group stages

Well corrected Gary. Not sure how I got that so badly wrong - considering I know they hosted it in 1958, as that's when Norn Iron got to the quarter-finals !! :eek:

That'll teach me not to quickly type crafty posts in a client's office whilst looking over me shoulder to make sure no one sees me..... :D

So recent woeful results against NI aside - we have one country in the world with a population of less than 15m who are consistent(ish) performers globally. Yet every dog and its mother thinks that Ireland has a god-given right to also be a consistently high performer in world football - despite our very small population and the fact that no other country with a population close to ours is able to do it (our population is only 44% of Sweden's). See where I'm coming from...?

DmanDmythDledge
22/10/2007, 3:38 PM
So recent woeful results against NI aside - we have one country in the world with a population of less than 15m who are consistent(ish) performers globally. Yet every dog and its mother thinks that Ireland has a god-given right to also be a consistently high performer in world football - despite our very small population and the fact that no other country with a population close to ours is able to do it (our population is only 44% of Sweden's). See where I'm coming from...?
I don't see why it should have anything to do with population. At the moment we have a very good squad of players and would have qualified with a decent manager, even the previous incumbent who wasn't deemed good enough by the world class talent spotter Delaney (our best manager since Jack too <if not better>).

Also just look at the amount of youngsters going over to academies in Britain each year. Many talented players are competing with the young players that Britain produce to try to be a success, with very long odds of being a success. If the FAI introduced a proper underage structure in this country in conjunction with eL clubs more youngsters would make it as professional footballers, with the benefit of improving the standard of the national league and producing more footballers that can play at the highest level.

Jerry The Saint
22/10/2007, 3:45 PM
Derry has a smaller population than other areas and I'm sure you'll agree that they do have a God-given right to be a consistently high performer. They should be an inspiration to the national team of what can be achieved if you have the necessary access routes to expand your stadium.

Erstwhile Bóz
22/10/2007, 6:03 PM
Can we rejoin the IFA?
Love it. Might actually give a flying feck if it was actually an "Ireland" team.

dcfcsteve
23/10/2007, 12:19 AM
Derry has a smaller population than other areas and I'm sure you'll agree that they do have a God-given right to be a consistently high performer. They should be an inspiration to the national team of what can be achieved if you have the necessary access routes to expand your stadium.

Poor attempt at sarcasm aside (:D), if we were restricted to only playing players from Derry, then you might actually have a point. An example of this would be Atletico Bilbao, who only sign Basque players. Which may help to explain why they haven't won anything in over 20 years...

It is patently obvious that a country with a small population will have a much smaller pool of players to draw from, and is therefore much less likely to have consistent success than nations with a much larger pool of potential players to draw from.

Big nations have the population to continually deliver a conveyor belt of quality players. Nations with tiny populations like Ireland only occassionally deliver world class players, and tend to face success in waves - dependent upon the quality of their small crop of potential players at any one point in time.

dcfcsteve
23/10/2007, 12:56 AM

P.S. I'm reliably informed that there are actually numerous exit points form Richmond Park in existence.

It's just that Dolan had them blocked up during his 'Supersaints' era, to keep the fans in..... :D

soccerc
23/10/2007, 12:58 AM
P.S. I'm reliably informed that there are actually numerous exit points form Richmond Park in existence.

It's just that Dolan had them blocked up during his 'Supersaints' era, to keep the fans in..... :D

..at least we understood that exit gates opened outwards. Now tell me why DCFC failed the first round of licensing in 2004 :D

CollegeTillIDie
23/10/2007, 7:02 AM
When the Czech Republic and Slovakia were Czechoslovakia they had a population of around 15 million. They made 2 World Cup Finals , one before the war in the 1930's , one after the war, in 1962. They also won the European Championships in 1976 beating Germany in a penalty shoot out and a few Olympic Gold medals at football.