PDA

View Full Version : Best towns in Ireland

Pages : [1] 2

Mad Moose
16/10/2007, 3:09 PM
Well since I went for the worst I'd like to be more positive now and ask for your views on the best towns in Ireland. The selection processis easier. Asthetic good looks, organisation, cleanliness and of course atmosphere.

For me Frenchpark always springs to mind.Tiny place and the N5 just runs straight through but I don't know why I've always thought it was so nice. Mind having said that I wouldn't live there.

Carrick on Shannon would have to be another and Galway obviously. No town like Castlebar however.Home is always home and though I'm a way now I have to say it is a favourite place.

Add of course to that the charming Westport. So many contenders here.:cool:

smellyfeet
16/10/2007, 3:24 PM
Killarney in Kerry. Portnoo in Donegal also.

strangeirish
16/10/2007, 3:26 PM
Killarney for me. Always liked it and still do. And for sentimental reasons, Castletown, Co. Laois. Nice, spotless and quite.

ifk101
16/10/2007, 3:30 PM
Castletown, Co. Laois.

Population = 12.

osarusan
16/10/2007, 3:36 PM
Westport.

strangeirish
16/10/2007, 3:37 PM
Population = 12.
:DActually, it's something like 367.

paul_oshea
16/10/2007, 3:48 PM
For me Frenchpark always springs to mind.Tiny place and the N5 just runs straight through but I don't know why I've always thought it was so nice. Mind having said that I wouldn't live there.

Frenchpark is a hole, what sticks out for you, apart from the douglas hyde centre, seriouslly? BTW most people on here wouldn't prolly know where it is, especially the Dubs :D

Dodge
16/10/2007, 3:53 PM
Well since I went for the worst I'd like to be more positive now and ask for your views on the best towns in Ireland.

Dublin

paul_oshea
16/10/2007, 4:02 PM
Dublin is a city not a town, did ye not read the sentence :p ah yer from dublin that explains it :D

rebs23
16/10/2007, 4:17 PM
There should be one rule about this thread, you can't nominate your own place!
My favs
Lismore & Villierstown (ok only a village) - Waterford
Kinsale/Baltimore - Cork
Kenmare/Killarney - Kerry
Killaloe/Ballina - Clare/Tipp
Kilkenny
Galway
Westport
Struggling after that.

paul_oshea
16/10/2007, 5:35 PM
No Contest for me really on this one, my favourite two towns in Ireland are:
Nobber and Muff.

Magicme
16/10/2007, 6:07 PM
I know its in my county and all but Glaslough is one beautiful village. I also love Sion Mills in Tyrone for the Tudor look (I know some of it is fake but it blends nicely) and Caledon in Armagh for the beautiful stone buildings.

I also love Galway (a city, I know!) and Stradbally.

Mad Moose
16/10/2007, 6:14 PM
The Tudor buildings are quite nice in Sion Mills but a pretty depressing place all the same. Not got alot going for it.

Omagh is one of my favourite places. One of the best places I've lived and I have to say I do miss it quite a lot. There was a real buzzz to the place and I have happy memories. I would return there to live.

John83
16/10/2007, 6:57 PM
Has to be Kilkenny.

Pauro 76
16/10/2007, 8:44 PM
I actually quite like Cobh! Galway of course, but a soft spot for Letterkenny too.

sligoman
16/10/2007, 8:46 PM
Not too sure what else it has going for it but Ennis is the cleanest town I've ever seen.

Paddyfield
16/10/2007, 9:51 PM
Westport
Kilkenny
Cork city/town/whatever
Ennis

ifk101
17/10/2007, 7:03 AM
Stradbally.

Stradbally in Laois?

WoodquayBoy
17/10/2007, 9:47 AM
Cork and Limerick cities, as for towns/villages, Westport, Clifden, Castleconnell in Limerick, Wexford town, Greystones, Kinsale

paul_oshea
17/10/2007, 10:09 AM
i think you could put foxford in here, i know its a village more so, but its awful clean and tranquille and just round the corner you have pontoon, and the river and lakes. really is beautiful and still only 25 minutes or so from Knock airport, so it has it all really. And im not from mayo.

drinkfeckarse
17/10/2007, 12:32 PM
Cobh if it was kept cleaner could be right up there although I am biased I will admit. Beautiful features and scenery.

Of towns I've been too, I liked Killarney and Letterkenny although with the latter I was never sober so I could be mistaken :D

citizenerased
17/10/2007, 12:35 PM
No Contest for me really on this one, my favourite two towns in Ireland are:
Nobber and Muff. you know there is a housing estate in nobber called muff cresent, no word of a lie....

Best town in Ireland is Navan, such a colourful and bohemian place, some of the towns architecture is quite truly breath-taking

kingdom hoop
17/10/2007, 12:48 PM
Hmmm, well the best town in Ireland is Tralee (it houses my collection of figurines), but as for nicest I think I have to commit townilege and betray my home town by plumping for its deadly rival, Killarney. Both my parents are from Killarney, so having spent so much time there throughout childhood I don't feel too guilty in my offence. Tralee is much nearer the sea and beautiful beaches, but those lakes, forests and mountains are hard to beat at the same time, and Killarney is nicer to go out in too - it's not full of, coke-snorting, hooligans. Natural splendour would be a big constituent in my decision making process, after that I'd look for a music scene, football pitches, a local where everyone knows your name, and a town council that is approachable and do as I instruct. (for eg I would've instructed Tralee Council not to stop M&S from opening a shop in the town as they had requested, what the hell were those councillors thinking :()

jebus
17/10/2007, 12:50 PM
Killaloe/Ballina in Tipp/Clare is the best town I've come across on my travels, but the Schull area in Cork is beautiful too, not to mention all the towns running up the west coast from Cork to Mayo, all of them have something to offer.

The East of Ireland however is a bland dump. Throw it up for the Westside!

Dodge
17/10/2007, 12:50 PM
Best town in Ireland is Navan, such a colourful and bohemian place, some of the towns architecture is quite truly breath-taking

LOL, the new arts building aside its an absolute kip!

paul_oshea
17/10/2007, 12:59 PM
Natural splendour would be a big constituent in my decision making process, after that I'd look for a music scene, football pitches, a local where everyone knows your name, and a town council that is approachable and

where you can get a good supply of the devils lettuce. :D

The East of Ireland however is a bland dump. Throw it up for the Westside!

The collective WE here, but we all know that the west is the best and is known as proper Ireland as has been described to me by my english and america "cousins"

kingdom hoop
17/10/2007, 1:22 PM
Throw it up for the Westside!

High five bro!

where you can get a good supply of the devils lettuce. :D

As far as I know weed (as opposed to soapbar hashish) is now quite freely available in all towns in Ireland, so while a factor it wouldn't be a major one. More interestingly, I'd say you could easily grow your own outdoor **** in south Kerry/west Cork it's so temperate and sheltered in places there. That would be bloody brilliant actually, I'd have to find a suitably reclusive profession to go with it though, maybe a poet, or I could usurp dahamsta as don of foot.ie and spend my days keeping an eye on gangsters like you while pruning my weeds! Thanks for the nod, rather ironically and appropriately it had slipped my mind. :D

paul_oshea
17/10/2007, 1:25 PM
More interestingly, I'd say you could easily grow your own outdoor **** in south Kerry/west Cork it's so temperate and sheltered in places there

If you want to, then ask a certain councillor who ran for MEP and TD before. The bog is a great place to grow it ;)

Dodge
17/10/2007, 1:26 PM
The collective WE here, but we all know that the west is the best and is known as proper Ireland as has been described to me by my english and america "cousins"

And us jackeens don't need the validation of Brits and yanks...

paul_oshea
17/10/2007, 1:31 PM
And us jackeens don't need the validation of Brits and yanks...

And we, dodge.

But it wouldn't have been objective if I had said myself or for that matter a jackeen, so who else could I use as a legitimate source?

Tir Oilean
17/10/2007, 1:45 PM
Nobody mentioned Carrick-hen night-on-Shannon Its a feckig great spot for everything

noby
17/10/2007, 1:57 PM
those lakes, forests and mountains are hard to beat at the same time,

So, are we opening the thread to townlands now or something? Because there aren't too many lakes forests and mountains in the town.

Killaloe/Ballina pre-housing boom was lovely alright. They've made a right mess of Ballina now.

dcfcsteve
17/10/2007, 1:59 PM
I can't believe a few people have mentioned Letterkenny !!??! :eek:

It's an ugly arse-hole eye-sore of a place. The worst/least planned-out town I've ever seen in Ireland. Has one big main street, and then they went and built a by-pass road running immediately parallel with it - so your view of Letterkenny if you're passing through is just the back of all the bars and shops on the main street.

Letterkenny isn't even the best town in Ireland with the word 'Letter' in it's name, fer feck sake...! :D

Apart from an atrocious litter problem and some poor/sporadic building in parts, Derry is undoubtedly an attractive city. Has one of the most beuatiful setting for an urban area in the country. Even if I am biased.....

drinkfeckarse
17/10/2007, 2:06 PM
As I said Steve, I was p1ssed the whole weekend there so my recollections may be a bit hazy!

Probably more to do with the fact that we enjoyed ourselves there.

kingdom hoop
17/10/2007, 5:01 PM
So, are we opening the thread to townlands now or something? Because there aren't too many lakes forests and mountains in the town.

Miaow. A bit catty there Noby. Maybe you've a point for some towns that have say a beach two miles outside it but have you been to Killarney?.....the Demesne, a beautiful area of flowers, trees and walks stretching to the lake, has its entrance pretty much in the town centre. Similarly the lake is within easy walking distance of the town via other avenues and while technically you're right that the mountains aren't within the town boundaries they are part of the wonderful vistas that make Killarney special - adding to the overall beauty of the town. What you're saying would be like trying to say that for example Dingle isn't a nice town because you can't claim the sea is part of the town when the view is just as important, that doesn't make sense to me. :(

sligoman
17/10/2007, 5:41 PM
Nobody mentioned Carrick-hen night-on-Shannon Its a feckig great spot for everythingI lived there for 6 months. It's ****e. Nothing to do but drink, not a bad thing really but if you live there, you'd have to be an alco:D.

SligoBrewer
17/10/2007, 6:54 PM
i quite like howth tbh.

BohsPartisan
17/10/2007, 7:47 PM
LOL, the new arts building aside its an absolute kip!

Its the hidden gems that only us Navan folk know of that make Navan great. Obviously they are secret so I can't tell you about them.
Pity they got rid of the maze from the shopping centre.

Dodge
17/10/2007, 9:28 PM
Its the hidden gems that only us Navan folk know of that make Navan great. Obviously they are secret so I can't tell you about them.
Pity they got rid of the maze from the shopping centre.

I work in navan. I know all about it...

BohsPartisan
17/10/2007, 10:03 PM
I work in navan. I know all about it...

Oh yeah? Where abouts? Not in the Dept of Agriculture?

DmanDmythDledge
17/10/2007, 10:09 PM
Stradbally in Laois?
Used to get lovely ice cream cones there when I was younger !;)

noby
18/10/2007, 8:02 AM
What you're saying would be like trying to say that for example Dingle isn't a nice town because you can't claim the sea is part of the town when the view is just as important, that doesn't make sense to me. :(

Dingle is on the coast and has a harbour, so of course it would be included when judging the town of Dingle. All I'm saying, and I don't think I was being overly catty, is that the line has to be drawn somewhere before we start talking about the nicest scenic areas of the country.

I like Killarney as a town, and it's surrounding areas, by the way.

kingdom hoop
18/10/2007, 1:37 PM
All I'm saying, and I don't think I was being overly catty, is that the line has to be drawn somewhere before we start talking about the nicest scenic areas of the country.

I agree with you, but I think Killarney is worthy of an exception in that light because, while granted a lot of the natural beauty is a few miles outside the town, there is enough (the Demesne - like a beautiful town park, and Ross Castle - on the lake with mountain views) in close proximity to the town centre to allow us to include them in saying what makes Killarney nice. You were right to raise the point, I just jumped as it is quite close to my heart. All this talk is making me homesick! Here's a nice picture (http://www.traleegolfclub.com/newgolf/hole2/hole2p.jpg) to tie me over for a while - note; that is from seven miles outside Tralee so wouldn't be part of saying Tralee is a nice town for the purpose of this thread but it is motivation to live there. :)

Green Tribe
18/10/2007, 2:50 PM
KH you're spoiling me with your pictures today!

kingdom hoop
18/10/2007, 3:19 PM
KH you're spoiling me with your pictures today!

So you liked my PM then? I was very happy with my posing alright. :p

I suppose it would be a bit mean to deprive everyone else though. Here (http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/celt/pt4/img/05300.jpg) I am people. :D

paul_oshea
18/10/2007, 3:23 PM
I suppose it would be a bit mean to deprive everyone else though. Here I am people.

ahhh, so your that character in father ted...

lofty9
18/10/2007, 3:30 PM
Carlingford is a wonderful place to visit.

Docboy
18/10/2007, 5:44 PM
Can't be 100% sure of the name but there's a little town in Kilkenny, may be Inisheoin? that has a lovely river running through it. Good spot for a quiet pint and a bit o' fly-fishing.

Ah, the simple life.

SÓC
18/10/2007, 8:34 PM
As Dublin goes Dún Laoghaire and Blackrock are lovely places IMO

paul_oshea
19/10/2007, 9:44 AM
Can't be 100% sure of the name but there's a little town in Kilkenny, may be Inisheoin? that has a lovely river running through it. Good spot for a quiet pint and a bit o' fly-fishing.

Do ye pass that from dublin on the way down if so i think i know it, very nice indeed. BTW Course fishing is way better. Fly fishing is for weiners :D