PDA

View Full Version : Worst Towns in Ireland

Pages : [1] 2 3

Mad Moose
16/10/2007, 1:55 PM
Just wondering what people's thoughts might be on the worst towns in Ireland and if we could reach consensus on it even. Possible a list of 20 towns.The criteria would have to be something like most deprived for example.

Over here there are regular releases on the worst towns in England. Places like Middlesborough, Burnley, Nottingham, Mansfield and Hartlepool feature heavily.I would concur on 4 of those as I haven't been to Mansfield.

So which towns might feature then?

John83
16/10/2007, 2:12 PM
I'm reminded of this article http://www.guardian.co.uk/eu/story/0,7369,1226481,00.html

Dodge
16/10/2007, 2:14 PM
This is obviously going to go downhill fast...

However I'll be first to nominate and I'll go with Cork

John83
16/10/2007, 2:17 PM

If we're going there, I'll nominate Kilkenny, the little town that thinks it's a city.

osarusan
16/10/2007, 2:18 PM
Celbridge.

And bin this thread, before flame wars erupt.

smellyfeet
16/10/2007, 2:20 PM

I quite like cork city.

But if i was to nominate a town it would be Shannon

tetsujin1979
16/10/2007, 2:30 PM
I'd like to nominate Mountrath, purely because of the amount of time I get stuck there every time I drive back to Limerick

razor
16/10/2007, 2:33 PM
I was in Arklow once, oh holy god !!

kingdom hoop
16/10/2007, 2:34 PM
And bin this thread, before flame wars erupt.

Let's try to be more objective in that case. I vote for Mountrath in Co. Laois where half the shops there are closed down and as a result it has a depressing feel, or closer to home for me, Ballyduff in north Kerry where the high number of pubs closely matches the amount of boarded up houses, a good contender for Ireland's roughest towns. I'd have to agree with Smellyfeet on Shannon as well, though my last few courtships have gracefully skirted the town, speeding on to the airport.

Pauro 76
16/10/2007, 2:38 PM
Dublin towns, Id go for Ballyfermot. Rest of country, Ballymote in Sligo.

Ash
16/10/2007, 2:41 PM
Tullamore.
It just seems to be a dull, grey hole of a place.

Dodge
16/10/2007, 2:42 PM
I quite like cork city.

EASY! EASY! EASY!

First
16/10/2007, 2:44 PM
Sligo Town and definately Shannon. As Smellyfeet can concur with there is nothing to do there.

Lionel Ritchie
16/10/2007, 2:45 PM
I quite like cork city.

But if i was to nominate a town it would be Shannon

Irelands little Milton Keynes. It's a very odd place aesthetically is Shannon because unlike like most villages, towns and cities it didn't spring up around a river crossing or cross-roads.

I dunno if I'd have it down as a "worst" but it is quite soulless.

There's a very odd little town on the N52 in county Westmeath called Clonmellon. I used joke going through there that the entire place is a front for drug-dealers or some sort of crimelord shennanigan. It feels like a set. There's this massive wide street through it, a couple of churches, a string of houses, shops and pubs and there is NEVER a soul to be seen about the place.

On a foggy night before christmas last year I called into a chipper there to ask where I might find the Gardai as there were cows on the road coming into the town. The two girls in the chipper scarecly looked up at me. Frankly I thought I'd walked onto the Marie Celeste.

I was told the cop shop front desk was closed and I should phone them -no offer to phone them was forthcoming mind - so I tried to get the cop shop on directory enquiries -no joy -not listed. I ended up phoning Henry Street Garda station in Limerick to get them to pass a message to someone up in Westmeath that there was a serious hazard outside a ghost-town.

kingdom hoop
16/10/2007, 2:56 PM
As Smellyfeet can concur with there is nothing to do there.

Plane-spotting is nothing? You must have been really spoilt for entertainment growing up. :p Ah shur tis great for all the kids so they realise there is an escape!

Lim till i die
16/10/2007, 2:59 PM
Dundalk

Obviously

Mad Moose
16/10/2007, 3:04 PM
Let's try to be more objective in that case. I vote for Mountrath in Co. Laois where half the shops there are closed down and as a result it has a depressing feel, or closer to home for me, Ballyduff in north Kerry where the high number of pubs closely matches the amount of boarded up houses, a good contender for Ireland's roughest towns. I'd have to agree with Smellyfeet on Shannon as well, though my last few courtships have gracefully skirted the town, speeding on to the airport.

Good point and thats what this requires.Objectivity and not personal bias. I got the feeling this would o downhill but it doesn't have to. Just post sensibly please. Its not meant to be a degradation of these towns.

Funny but Shannon would have sprung to mind too.Only been through it once actually and 'soulless' is a pretty apt description actually.

ifk101
16/10/2007, 3:17 PM
Athy.

strangeirish
16/10/2007, 3:18 PM
Dungarvan. It's fairly decent during the day and the locals seem friendly, but watch out at night after the pubs close. I suppose it happens in any town, but I found Dungarvan to be particularly nasty.

smellyfeet
16/10/2007, 3:27 PM
Sligo Town and definately Shannon. As Smellyfeet can concur with there is nothing to do there.

Nail on the head, Population of between 10/15 thousand and nothing to do.

sligoman
16/10/2007, 3:36 PM
Rest of country, Ballymote in Sligo.Smellymote is a village, not a town;).

noby
16/10/2007, 3:41 PM
Dungarvan. It's fairly decent during the day and the locals seem friendly, but watch out at night after the pubs close. I suppose it happens in any town, but I found Dungarvan to be particularly nasty.

Hoorah! We got a mention. Damn, wrong thread, though. Obviously you speak of Dungarvan in Kilkenny.

drummerboy
16/10/2007, 3:43 PM
Edenderry is as rough as they come. They ain't that friendly down there either.

sligoman
16/10/2007, 3:44 PM
Athlone has to win this title imo.

strangeirish
16/10/2007, 3:45 PM
Hoorah! We got a mention. Damn, wrong thread, though. Obviously you speak of Dungarvan in Kilkenny.Sorry noby, but it's the one in your neck of the woods.

Mr A
16/10/2007, 3:48 PM
Bundoran. Should be burned down. Simple as that.

gustavo
16/10/2007, 3:53 PM

:D For some reason that made me laugh

paul_oshea
16/10/2007, 3:59 PM
lots of places in dublin but heres a start:

dolphins barn, certain parts of coolock, certain parts of kilmainham, certain parts of that place begining with k near coolock, darno or darndale whatever they call it and all of it, east finglas....the list is endless really. I think it should be defined as, is it a place you would live in? if no then there is your answer.

Mad Moose
16/10/2007, 4:11 PM
Bundoran. Should be burned down. Simple as that.

Oh the memories. Best thing about Bundoran seriously was the fact it was by passed and I rarely needed to go in there last year I had up that way. Had many a fun day in the line of work in my time in Donegal.

Manorhamilton deserves special mention. I hated going through there. Thoroughy depressing place.

Patrick Dunne
16/10/2007, 4:18 PM
There are some depressing small towns in the West of Ireland.
I live near the famous Ahascragh, of "Monica Loolley" fame.

Decrepit dump with loads of derelict building. Hasn't changed (in fact has got worse) since the 1980s.

Towns like Sligo and Athlone get bad press, but they have improved a lot.
Longford is probably the worst EL town.

John83
16/10/2007, 4:20 PM
...Towns like Sligo and Athlone get bad press, but they have improved a lot.
I haven't been to Athlone in years, but Sligo has an odd mix of nice, modern town and absolute hole. You transition between them in the space of metres.

Danny
16/10/2007, 4:23 PM
Abbeyleix
a major bottleneck and it smells like sh_t.

pineapple stu
16/10/2007, 4:24 PM
Lifford. Complete hole. Never seen a town so dead, the only places I can find open are empty amuesment arcades, and there's never EVER a bus or a taxi to get you out of there.

rebs23
16/10/2007, 4:27 PM
Alright before this is binned;

Limerick- my god it gets worse with every passing week and greyer, no cinema in the city centre, few enough restaraunts, fewer clubs, no theatres in the city centre and no decent venues or festivals of any description.
Charleville - Co. Cork
Dungarvan at night as someone said already just watch yourself, by day lovely.
Athlone- Why? Why? Why?
Shannon- Irelands answer to Milton Keynes but without the facilities, at least you have an airport to escape from though.
Tuam- Have you a pony to sell?
I am sure there are others but howabout every Midland town?

Kildare Lad
16/10/2007, 4:43 PM
Athy.

Thats a good shout

biscuit
16/10/2007, 5:25 PM
athlone.....ok until night .... but its one rough n tumble spot afterdark...

citizenerased
16/10/2007, 5:28 PM
dundalk, what a horrible s**t hole..locals have an odd demeanor aswell!!

Torn-Ado
16/10/2007, 5:54 PM
Any town in Roscommon or Longford. The counties that time forgot.

Mad Moose
16/10/2007, 6:09 PM
It doesn't have to get binned. Just behave guys please. Take it easy on this one.

Oh Pettigo in Donegal is another contender. Its definetely in a time warp. Not the worst I've been in but I covered there with work and it was soft covering a town that had little or nothing. So many derelict buildings and very dodgy characters.

paul_oshea
16/10/2007, 6:24 PM
Any town in Roscommon or Longford. The counties that time forgot.

In fairness ye could put most towns in galway in that bracket too torn-ado, bar the gaelteacht areas for obvious reasons....but there is something seriouslly depressing about Longford town alright.

Roscommon town is a nice town, if ye've been there recently, which I doubt you have, its changed a lot for the better.

dortie
16/10/2007, 6:50 PM
Ballybofey, Co Donegal !

SligoBrewer
16/10/2007, 6:56 PM
ah man.. i hate sligo personally.

its a soulless kip which is getting worse.
our main street is pedestrian where most people if any are on it still walk on the footpaths..:o

Jerry The Saint
16/10/2007, 7:06 PM
Callan, Co. Kilkenny is another one of those Marie Celeste towns I'd say.

Lionel Ritchie
16/10/2007, 7:11 PM
Limerick- my god it gets worse with every passing week and greyer, no cinema in the city centre, few enough restaraunts, fewer clubs, no theatres in the city centre .... ...that's because we copped on ages ago that the entire cinema concept is a quaint hangover from the early 20th century. Unlike our Corkonian neighbours who keep at least one of these massive human pettrie dishes slap bang in the middle of a prime thoroughfare. You're simply matter of factually wrong on the other criticisms....

no decent venues or festivals of any description. Oh Christ yeah ...we need MORE festivals, more I say, damn those who say less. :rolleyes:

Monkfish
16/10/2007, 7:37 PM
Alright before this is binned;

Limerick- my god it gets worse with every passing week and greyer, no cinema in the city centre, few enough restaraunts, fewer clubs, no theatres in the city centre and no decent venues or festivals of any description.

You really shouldnt be afraid to get out of the car and acually see for yourself before making yourself out to be a bit silly with your 'facts' if you dont like the place just say, no need to make up lies.

Mountrath and Tipp town get my vote.

Block G Raptor
16/10/2007, 7:42 PM
Was in Belfast on Sunday/Monday and have to say it's an awful dump.
Visited Bobby Sands grave on Sunday and this was the Highlight.
The City Centre is completely devoid of soul or atmosphere.
sorry to any of the Belfast Lads on here if I'm being over critical but I just couldn't wait to get out of it

Pauro 76
16/10/2007, 8:41 PM
Dundalk without a shadow of a doubt. Athlone not the Mae West either. Bray I suppose as well.

Mad Moose
16/10/2007, 8:46 PM
Ballybofey, Co Donegal !

Trust ya Dortie to make a complete tool of yourself and do exactly as I asked you people not to do. Refrain from personal bias. Somebody will find you a dictionary and explain.

dortie
16/10/2007, 8:51 PM
Trust ya Dortie to make a complete tool of yourself and do exactly as I asked you people not to do. Refrain from personal bias. Somebody will find you a dictionary and explain.

Tisk tisk, sorry for not playing by the rules
:rolleyes:

no bias whatsoever....its a kip !

No need for the dictionary friend.

pineapple stu
16/10/2007, 9:24 PM
Tipp town get my vote.
:eek:

Tipp Town?! Have to disagree. There's the Cup and Saucer, an excellent spot for walking, with a superb view across to the Galtees, which aren't that far away. There's a par 3 golf course on the hill, a football pitch (of sorts...) and bits of cardboard to go scooting down the hill on. There's some World War II remnants and a public handball court. There's a cinema now, the Marian Hall for the bit of bingo of a Friday or Sunday night or cards of a Monday, the farmer's market, which will help you spot the jackeens a mile away (the ones who can't take the smell). There's a nice open area down beyond L&N (Londis I think it is now), some grand shops and pubs and chippers. There's a football team (not a bad one either) and a rugby team. I remember one time a Mini car rally around the square there just beside the Post Office - great craic so it was. Town has its own Paddy's Day Parade an all!

What more do you want?! :)