PDA

View Full Version : Title is beyond us - Gill

A face
05/05/2003, 2:48 PM
Title is beyond us - Gill

Dublin City manager John Gill, who has proven adept at mind games already in his short time in charge of the Vikings, has insisted that his side do not have the strength-in-depth to become First Division champions this season.

City moved two points clear at the top of the table following the weekend’s action, when pursuers Bray Wanderers and Finn Harps blunted each other’s progress with a draw at the Carlisle Grounds, and Kildare County were held by struggling Athlone Town at Station Road.

But Gill insists that his side will not be good enough to win the division, and he hopes that they can manage to finish in the top four, where a play-off place will be the reward./

He said: "I don’t honestly see us being strong enough to mount a serious challenge for automatic promotion [but] I feel that we are strong enough and organised enough to stay in the top four.

"Its very early days yet but it is encouraging that the players have responded to what I’ve asked of them."

City meet St Patrick’s Athletic in a League Cup Group 7 match at Whitehall this afternoon.

www.eleven-a-side.com (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/first/story.asp?newsid=5324)