PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland Under-21 squad v England (Turner’s Cross, October 16th)

Pages : [1] 2

pateen
15/10/2007, 11:30 AM
Predictions any one.
Reports from the Swedish game were short and sweet. Anyone find out who played well, who got MoTM.
I see Darren Gibson and Darren Dennehy are ruled out for Tuesday.

Stephen Gleeson is back for the game and also nice to see Owen Garvin getting his second u-21 cap on Friday.

Is the match been televised?

1-0 I guess though been a little biased :rolleyes:

NeilMcD
15/10/2007, 11:36 AM
I will be at this one and I hope we put on a decent performance. Will be good to see Garvan in the flesh after hearing only good reports about him. Should be good atmosphere I think. Who else is making this game.

Dodge
15/10/2007, 11:40 AM
Match is live on Sky Sports

DmanDmythDledge
15/10/2007, 11:46 AM
Randolph played very well aparantly.

I don't hold much hope for us. England have a class team.

tetsujin1979
15/10/2007, 12:10 PM
I don't hold much hope for us. England have a class team.

I'm with you on this, the majority of their side have Premiership experience, some have European experience and there's still some players from the championships last summer.

eirebhoy
15/10/2007, 12:13 PM
The team against Sweden was:

-------------Randolph----------------
Nolan--Spillane---O'Dea(c)---O'Halloran
-------Cregg---Garvan---Quinn-------
----O'Brien-----Downes-----Stokes---

Rooney will most likely takes the place of Downes.

Torn-Ado
15/10/2007, 2:25 PM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2007/1015/ireland2.html

The side was named and it looks good.

By the way, the agme is live on the net tommorrow night.

Closed Account
15/10/2007, 2:30 PM
Brilliant, I've never seen an agme

Torn-Ado
15/10/2007, 2:36 PM
Brilliant, I've never seen an agme

****in Mayo people and the little things that give them their kicks.

:cool:

Dr. Ogba
15/10/2007, 3:39 PM

Looks a good side there, would expect to see a few of those lads in the senior squad in the not too distant future.

Haven't heard much of Eddie Nolan before, is he highly rated at Blackburn?

Is it deffo on Sky sports???

passinginterest
15/10/2007, 4:03 PM
Looks a good side there, would expect to see a few of those lads in the senior squad in the not too distant future.

As far as I know Nolan made a few first team appearances for Blackburn last season, he's supposed to be very highly rated. The whole back four has a lot of potential as does the entire team. Will be a big test against an extremely good England side.

tetsujin1979
15/10/2007, 4:10 PM
As far as I know Nolan made a few first team appearances for Blackburn last season, he's supposed to be very highly rated.
Yeah, he did. Even an appearance in the UEFA Cup, spent the end of the season on loan to Stockport: http://www.chatsoccer.net/irishabroad/playerDetails.xquery?playerID=44386&seasonID=136

Saw him play for the U-19's against Germany a few months ago, think he was the captain, although he was playing at centre half, not full back. Very promising on that performance, chased the ball down, tackled hard and seemed to find a teammate with most of his passes. Pretty much what you want from a defender.

eirebhoy
15/10/2007, 5:38 PM

Jesus that's attacking. :eek:

Clarke - a striker. Rooney - a striker. Stokes - a striker. O'Brien - An attacking winger. Quinn - an attacking midfielder.

Garvan is the only non-attack minded player outside of defence and I certainly wouldn't call him defensive (box to box). I suppose I've only seen Quinn at senior level where they're usually given less defensive duties, maybe he plays deeper at this level. Brave one from Givens all the same, hope it works out.

As usual, not happy that Stokes will be playing off the main striker.

Superhoops
15/10/2007, 6:00 PM

Not sure if you keep an eye on Irish underage teams or not. Eddie Nolan is 19 and from Waterford. He has been a prominent under age player and has capped at every level up to U-21, recently captained the U-19's.

Has played for Blackburn in their Youth and reserves and was called up last season to the first team squad. Made his debut in the Uefa cup last season but them went on loan to Stockport. I may be wrong, but I don't think he has played for Blackburn's first team this year yet.

cheifo
15/10/2007, 8:00 PM
This is a real opportunity for Stokes to show people what he can do.He has rightly or wrongly got some negative press but with the game shown on SS1 he can also prove to both Ireland and Sunderland fans he has got huge potential.Pity Gibson isnt fit he could beefen up the midfield a little.We must have half a dozen eligible players in the senior squad but its still not a bad line up.I presume Clarke and O Brien will play out wide.Looking forward to seeing Garvan.A draw would be a good result tbh.

Dr. Ogba
16/10/2007, 8:29 AM
Not sure if you keep an eye on Irish underage teams or not. Eddie Nolan is 19 and from Waterford. He has been a prominent under age player and has capped at every level up to U-21, recently captained the U-19's.

Has played for Blackburn in their Youth and reserves and was called up last season to the first team squad. Made his debut in the Uefa cup last season but them went on loan to Stockport. I may be wrong, but I don't think he has played for Blackburn's first team this year yet.

Yeah would always try and go to the underage games if they're on in Dublin and would be familiar with all of those players but Nolan's name just didn't ring a bell with me at all...saying that, I was at the German u19 game so must have seen the fellah playing. Jaysus I must be gettin old, me memory's creakin! :o

geysir
16/10/2007, 9:42 AM
I see Givens made 5 substitutions in that game against Sweden

3 at HT
Henderson for Randolph, Power for Garvan, Sheehan for Quinn
Coleman for Nolan (58 mins)
Judge for O'Brien (68 mins).

tetsujin1979
16/10/2007, 9:47 AM
I see Givens made 5 substitutions in that game against Sweden

3 at HT
Henderson for Randolph, Power for Garvan, Sheehan for Quinn
Coleman for Nolan (58 mins)
Judge for O'Brien (68 mins).

Randolph was carrying a slight injury, it was probably precautionary to take him off.
Surprised Garvan went off

dr_peepee
16/10/2007, 9:49 AM
The team against Sweden was:

-------------Randolph----------------
Nolan--Spillane---O'Dea(c)---O'Halloran
-------Cregg---Garvan---Quinn-------
----O'Brien-----Downes-----Stokes---

Rooney will most likely takes the place of Downes.

Spillane... Is he normally a Midfielder??

The line up against england looks attacking alright.. Just hope though that Givens isn't falling into Keanes habit of playing Stokes left of Midfield!!!

greatbleddyman
16/10/2007, 10:09 AM
Judge for O'Brien????

Anymore of the cast of Wanderly Wagon playing?

Dr. Ogba
16/10/2007, 10:17 AM
Spillane... Is he normally a Midfielder??

The line up against england looks attacking alright.. Just hope though that Givens isn't falling into Keanes habit of playing Stokes left of Midfield!!!

Spillane's a bit of a utility man but as far as I know CB is his favoured position...

Yer man Power, is he the lad off Notts Forest? Was very impressed with him at the Germany u19 game...looked a decent, battling midfielder...

paul_oshea
16/10/2007, 11:29 AM
any chance of a stream?

Closed Account
16/10/2007, 11:32 AM
any chance of a stream?]
Here ya go! (http://www.naturalsciences.org/education/treks/SpringMtns06/images/Mountain%20stream.jpg)

paul_oshea
16/10/2007, 11:35 AM
ok a live one then. thats still

ifk101
16/10/2007, 11:38 AM

http://myp2p.eu/Weekdays.htm

Closed Account
16/10/2007, 11:43 AM
Tough Crowd (http://www.itmeansfun.com/animated_stream.gif)

Pablo
16/10/2007, 12:06 PM
I predict yet another poor crowd. The FAIs policy of ripping off supporters backfired against Portugal and this will be the same.

Clifford
16/10/2007, 12:55 PM
I got my ticket and am ready to go. Think it'll be a good night out. Looking forward to seeing our lads go for it.

Bottle of Tonic
16/10/2007, 2:17 PM
Really looking forward to this game. The only players I'm properly familiar with are Stokes, O'Brien and O'Dea. I love reading up on this site how our younger players are doing but can't say I've ever seen Garvan, Rooney, Clarke, Nolan play.
Of those I do know I think O'Dea and Stokes have the potential to become important members of our senior squad. O'Dea needs a break at Celtic or maybe even a new club to start getting regular football, it's always difficult for young centre halves though, and Stokes needs to find some consistent form and his natural position. I don't think O'Brien is good enough although he is a tidy player. More football in him than his namesake at Hibs anyway so who knows.

How much are the FAI asking for tickets Pablo? I checked the scottish FA site to see if they had a game tonight in the scenario it would also be televised and I'd have to go into a plastic pub in town to catch our game and noticed they had a home game against lithuania(won 3-0)last thursday and were charging £6/£2. Very reasonable IMO, not sure how many showed up though.

Ozymandias
16/10/2007, 2:44 PM
€25...crazy price.....no concessions for oap's students kid s etc.....€15 and it would have fillled the place

cheifo
16/10/2007, 3:11 PM
€25...crazy price.....no concessions for oap's students kid s etc.....€15 and it would have fillled the place

€25 for an under 21 game.Absolute nonsense.A chap with a kid or two is just not going to go and he def aint going to take the wife.

citizenerased
16/10/2007, 5:35 PM
is it on telly?

Torn-Ado
16/10/2007, 5:48 PM
Stream: http://livefooty.doctor-serv.com/tue16.10/Ireland_England.html

And 25 euro is extortionate. Ridiculous.

paul_oshea
16/10/2007, 5:51 PM
on sky sports. ive got tvu player what channel is it on on that? that myp2p never makes any sense to me.

paul_oshea
16/10/2007, 6:53 PM
what time is kick off cos that channel aint working.

Armando
16/10/2007, 6:56 PM

It looks full to me on tv.

ifk101
16/10/2007, 7:02 PM
what time is kick off cos that channel aint working.

Download sopcast. Open it up and go to channel 11910.

Sorry channel not working now. Typical.

Maroon 7
16/10/2007, 7:12 PM
1-0 England

Noble.

Shocking mistake by the keeper. Failed to hold on to a simple cross.

Maroon 7
16/10/2007, 7:18 PM
2-0

Noble again.

Stupid avoidable early goal seems to have knocked the stuffing out of them.

ifk101
16/10/2007, 7:19 PM
Givens Out!

kdjaC
16/10/2007, 7:21 PM
Givens Out!

7 years too late on that one.

kdjac

ifk101
16/10/2007, 7:27 PM
Nice one. 3-0 now.

Maroon 7
16/10/2007, 7:29 PM
3-0 from a deflection.

Look decent going forward but a bit shaky at the back.

Torn-Ado
16/10/2007, 7:30 PM
Ah well.

:(

sligoman
16/10/2007, 7:33 PM
The future looks bright:eek:

Maroon 7
16/10/2007, 7:35 PM
Been a bit unlucky really. 3-0 is very flattering for England. We've looked dangerous going forward but are leaving far too much space at the back. Dangerous with pace merchants like Walcott and Aghbong whatshisname from Villa around up front.

tricky_colour
16/10/2007, 7:37 PM
3-0 Looks like we have England contained.

It won't take much for Stan to mold these boys into a World Cup winning squad.

Maroon 7
16/10/2007, 7:43 PM
Can't believe James Milner is still U-21. Seems like he's been about for donkey's years.

Attempts at goal

Ireland - 7
England - 5

:rolleyes:

eirebhoy
16/10/2007, 7:54 PM
The future looks bright:eek:
It actually does if you've been watching. Very encouraged by everything bar our defence. Quinn looks really good. We're just playing a much too attacking system. England get the ball off us and they're at the byline within seconds. That's what happens when you play so many attackers.

Maroon 7
16/10/2007, 8:00 PM
It actually does if you've been watching. Very encouraged by everything bar our defence. Quinn looks really good. We're just playing a much too attacking system. England get the ball off us and they're at the byline within seconds. That's what happens when you play so many attackers.

It was said before the game that it looked like we had too many attack minded players on the pitch. We actually do look dangerous going forward and could have easily had a goal or two ourselves.

England have acres of space to run into behind our midfield though when they counter-attack.