PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Foley knocked out!

blue til i die
14/10/2007, 9:03 PM
Todays under 21 game vs Cobh Ramblers in cappaquin was abandoned after seemingly referee Eddie "World cup" Foley was struck by the ball following an incident with a Waterford United player who he had cautioned. Another massive fine looks certain to follow!! i can see alot of trouble coming from this! An official investigation has been launched!

since this is an U21 game,can the FAI do anything to the blues first team,i.e.points deduction?

dcfcsteve
14/10/2007, 9:10 PM
Todays under 21 game vs Cobh Ramblers in cappaquin was abandoned after seemingly referee Eddie "World cup" Foley was struck by the ball following an incident with a Waterford United player who he had cautioned. Another massive fine looks certain to follow!! i can see alot of trouble coming from this! An official investigation has been launched!

since this is an U21 game,can the FAI do anything to the blues first team,i.e.points deduction?

I'm not sure the rule book lets you dole out a points deduction to a team for the actions of a single player in this way anwyay.

I'll leave it to somebody au fait with the rule book to give a definitive answer on the U21 bit, but I would suspect penalties would primarily be against the player - possibly with a fine for the team.

blue til i die
14/10/2007, 9:12 PM
not too sure since it was an U21 game,havent been able to get a name of who it was yet either!

Réiteoir
14/10/2007, 9:26 PM
iirc the player in question would automatically be suspended for a year pending investigation

feo123
14/10/2007, 9:33 PM
i know of a fella here that was playin underage footy he got sent off and kicked the ref up the ars€ and got banned for 3 years

A face
14/10/2007, 9:54 PM

I hate saying it but did Eddie Foley have it coming? I know people will say that is a crazy thing to say but bare in mind a ref is meant to keep order and officiate the game within the rules and ensure players, club officials and game officials safety.

I dunno would i be on my own here but Eddie Foley is definitely a fella you'd have down for exacerbating situation and grating off fellas when you could easily be calming things down. For every action there is a reaction kinda thing is what i'd be saying. Is Eddie his own worst enemy? He most definitely is not shy when it comes to pressing peoples buttons, most will tolerate it but you'll get someone who wont.

Shedzer
14/10/2007, 10:00 PM
i know of a fella here that was playin underage footy he got sent off and kicked the ref up the ars€ and got banned for 3 years

was that game played on The Hill about 4-5 years back?

jebus
14/10/2007, 10:07 PM
I hate saying it but did Eddie Foley have it coming? I know people will say that is a crazy thing to say but bare in mind a ref is meant to keep order and officiate the game within the rules and ensure players, club officials and game officials safety.

The major problem with football is that players don't respect refs, and its need to be stamped out, so I'd say the Waterford player should be given a year ban for what is basically an attack on the ref

A face
14/10/2007, 10:38 PM
The major problem with football is that players don't respect refs, and its need to be stamped out, so I'd say the Waterford player should be given a year ban for what is basically an attack on the ref

Why dont they respect him though?

Seriously, i'd agree its something that should be drilled into players at an early age. To not argue with the ref, even if its something that's blatantly wrong or unfair, just to walk away and respect the decision. This should be the norm right from the word go, never give back chat, never argue back etc. but thats a different issue in this context

Maybe one factor that doesn't help here is that refs aren't professsional/full time, but i can only speak for myself here but Eddie Foley is a prime example of a guy who makes hard work of it for himself. He brings it on himself. I dunno, he just always seems to be in controversy corner. Its like banging your head off a wall with the guy at times, its very hard to respect him as a result.

Who is the guy who knocked him out anyway? Eddie Foley is in the Permanent Defence Forces, not one of these FCA types either ..... he's a trained killer. Big props to that guy :p

dcfcsteve
15/10/2007, 12:19 AM
The major problem with football is that players don't respect refs,

Very true.

I love the way rugby refs handle themselves - very firm, very clear and very polite. And they don't take any sh!t. Footballing refereeing needs to move more in this direction IMO to cut out a lot of the moaning, play-acting prima-donna sh!t.

At the end of the day, players will stop acting d!cks towards refs if they don't think they'll get away with it.

superfrank
15/10/2007, 12:43 AM
You should've seen the ref we had today for the match my team were playing in. He booked two opposition players for mouthing off. One of them got a yellow just for saying the F-word!

I remember something similar happened at a Brayu-21's match. The other team had won a free and a Bray player (Keith Kelch, iirc) hit the ball away from the spot where the free was to be taken. In the process of booting the ball away he smacked the linesman,who was about 10 yards away, square in the ribs with it. It was clearly unintentional but the Bray player was sent off and the lino hobbled around rubbing his ribs for the remainder of the match.

Sonic
15/10/2007, 9:33 AM

Hopefully;)

osarusan
15/10/2007, 9:56 AM
I hope the player didn't damage his hand.

Mr_T
15/10/2007, 10:24 AM
seemingly referee Eddie "World cup" Foley

Freudian slip? ;)

Lim till i die
15/10/2007, 10:36 AM
Todays under 21 game vs Cobh Ramblers in cappaquin was abandoned after seemingly referee Eddie "World cup" Foley was struck by the ball following an incident with a Waterford United player who he had cautioned.

The man should be given a medal.

Not to mention the freedom of Limerick City.

Mad Moose
15/10/2007, 10:49 AM
Very true.

I love the way rugby refs handle themselves - very firm, very clear and very polite. And they don't take any sh!t. Footballing refereeing needs to move more in this direction IMO to cut out a lot of the moaning, play-acting prima-donna sh!t.

At the end of the day, players will stop acting d!cks towards refs if they don't think they'll get away with it.

I believe there is talk of a move toward the Rugby model and a situation where only the captain's would be allowed speak to the referee.I agree on the rugby codes of conduct and it can't help but be admired.

stann
16/10/2007, 1:04 PM
I can only speak for myself here but Eddie Foley is a prime example of a guy who makes hard work of it for himself. He brings it on himself. I dunno, he just always seems to be in controversy corner. Its like banging your head off a wall with the guy at times, its very hard to respect him as a result.

Jebus, what it is is that Eddie has given a few offsides and what not in our favour against Cork in recent times that were spot on but the Cork fans em, found them hard to accept at the time. And still do, obviously! :p :D

On the discipline issue, the answer is already in place, no need to bring in new laws or make unnecessary changes. The refs just need to stop letting players away with murder with the things they're allowed to say to them or the tone they're allowed to adopt.
A total, across-the-board crack down on abuse, foul language and aggressive posturing towards officials should be implemented forthwith, with red cards aplenty. Subsequently, if a player's temper costs him his place on the field, and so costs his manager points, that manager won't be long about putting the player straight, or dropping him altogether.
Same should apply to simulation too. That'd sort things out quickstyle.

Shelsman
16/10/2007, 1:07 PM
The man should be given a medal.

Not to mention the freedom of Limerick City.

What does that look like? A little golden trophy of an AK47 for the mantelpiece?

Lim till i die
16/10/2007, 2:56 PM
What does that look like? A little golden trophy of an AK47 for the mantelpiece?

No, of course it doesn't

Don't be an idiot

Copa Mundial
17/10/2007, 8:37 AM
No, of course it doesn't

Don't be an idiot

This from someone who advocates abuse towards match officials. Irrespective of what you think of the official as an individual, nobody deserves that. It's a disgusting attitude to have.:ball:

Lim till i die
17/10/2007, 12:26 PM
This from someone who advocates abuse towards match officials.

Oh cry me a river

Eddie Foley :rolleyes:

don ramo
17/10/2007, 5:38 PM
I believe there is talk of a move toward the Rugby model and a situation where only the captain's would be allowed speak to the referee.I agree on the rugby codes of conduct and it can't help but be admired.

i also heard of this, i think there runin trials in some league on it, very good idea, should bring in the mic and all, would shut a few players up, would be funny to see how long before they would stop swearing, knowing the mic is transmitting on live tv:D, and we could get those ref talk radios at the games and actually listen to why hes booking someone, instead of looking on in bemusement at WTF just happened there,

also was it a waterford player that threw the ball at him, if i was there i would have thrown it myself and let waterford take the blame, but i would like to shake that person hand, foley is useless