PDA

View Full Version : Ireland V Cyprus - pre- match thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

geysir
14/10/2007, 5:33 PM
Starting off with Dunne and Carsley out suspended.
Shane Long definitely out injured.
Andy Reid is suffering with his ankle.

Return of Hunt and McShane should compensate something.
Would Potter be fit?
Joe O'Brien to midfield maybe.
Liam Miller might get a sniff, if Andy Reid needs a rest.

Hibs4Ever
14/10/2007, 5:41 PM
Given

Finnan - McShane - Joey O'Brien - Kelly

Miller - Reid - Kilbane - Hunt

Keane - Doyle

4-0 Win

nui-harp
14/10/2007, 5:44 PM
Best thing that could happen is for Ireland to get humiliated and beaten 3-0 or along those lines. Shock results are the only way that Stan is going to jump now, he's too thick to see that everyone hates him. A half full stadium would be great also and really hit the FAI where it hurts. Incidently, does anyone know how much a sniper costs? Just incase Delaney doesn't bugger off too.

zenokelly
14/10/2007, 5:53 PM
Best thing that could happen is for Ireland to get humiliated and beaten 3-0 or along those lines. Shock results are the only way that Stan is going to jump now, he's too thick to see that everyone hates him. A half full stadium would be great also and really hit the FAI where it hurts. Incidently, does anyone know how much a sniper costs? Just incase Delaney doesn't bugger off too.

No, that post is just completely stupid. A 3-0 loss is not the best thing that could happen. You know we're nearly definitely not going to lose. A draw would still be a complete shock and you know it.

A half full stadium does not hit the FAI where it hurts, it has sold most of the tickets its just a question, how many people will turn up?

And I think the sniper thing is just immature. A bit too much GTA?

**** off and just support the team. Stan is not going to walk or be sacked. Deal with it!:mad:

nui-harp
14/10/2007, 6:02 PM
Just venting my frustration at a complete tosser being in charge. Someone should ask him that if he was just a normal joe soap in the street, would he be happy with the way the team was being run.

Armando
14/10/2007, 6:04 PM
I really hope Reid lines out. It was a priviledge to pay and watch his performance against Germany. And another performance like that against Cyprus would be worth the entrance fee alone again.

nui-harp
14/10/2007, 6:05 PM
[QUOTE=zenokelly;790079]You know we're nearly definitely not going to lose.QUOTE]

And there is nothing definite yet....we all know wat Stan is or isnt capable of.

stojkovic
14/10/2007, 6:22 PM
McShane back for the suspended Dunne.

Hunt MUST start.

I'd be happy with a 3-0 win, but it DOES NOT, i repeat, DOES NOT compensate for the shambles that this team (management & players) have served up in this campaign.

The fans (loyal, ole olers & event-junkies) have filled Croker and the FAI's coffers. Let the money be well spent with a new stadium and new 'world-class' FAI and manager.

Mr. Delaney, you will not sell the tickets next time around, if you Sir are still around.

tetsujin1979
14/10/2007, 6:55 PM
This is the team I'd like to see line out.

Given
Finnan McShane O'Brien Kilbane
McGeady Reid Miller Hunt
Keane Doyle
While I think Keogh improved as the match went on yesterday, with Long out of the game on wednesday, we'll have no recognised striker on the bench if he starts. Of course, he could still start on the right and McGeady could get introduced for Doyle or Keane with Keogh going up front.
From the highlights of the Cyprus game I saw on Sky Sports, their main threat came from crosses from the left wing, so McGeady will have to play more defensively than he normally does for Ireland, but there's enough attacking talent in the midfield + forward line to score against Cyprus, compare it to the team that lined out for Wales against Cyprus:

Nyatanga Ledley Robinson Davies
Bellamy Eastwood
Apart from possibly Bellamy, you wouldn't pick any one of those ahead of the Irish players

conlonn
14/10/2007, 7:51 PM
Given

Keane - Doyle

Agree with this team, altohugh I would only bring Keane on to make him think about his miss last night. Also Stan (Ginger gimp) may not start Miller or maybe even Hunt. Do not know why, Have they fallen out with him? He will prob start Douglas. Why does he start an 11 bring on three subs for one game then for the next game he changes everything around, there is no consistency in selection. Is it Bobby Robson's influence????

Morbo
14/10/2007, 9:08 PM
Given

Finnan - McShane - A O'Brien - Kilbane

Miller - Reid - Joey O'Brien - Hunt

Long - Keogh

Whats the story with AOB is he injured? Anyway there isn't much at stake so we might as well experiment and give Long and Keogh a go up front and see how JOB does in midfield

Noelys Guitar
14/10/2007, 9:09 PM
Watched the Cyprus v Wales game and Wales at the back were a shambles. Almost a carbon copy of our performance out there. We should beat Cyprus. But I would'nt put the house on it. And it will be a completely different game from the German one. This will be a very tricky one and Stan could be found wanting on both tactics and selections.

NeilMcD
14/10/2007, 9:28 PM
Kilbane in centre midfield against Cyprus, do you not remember what happened the last time Kilbane played centre mid against Cyprus.

tetsujin1979
14/10/2007, 9:37 PM
Kilbane in centre midfield against Cyprus, do you not remember what happened the last time Kilbane played centre mid against Cyprus.
I remember he had Stephen Ireland beside him, and Andy Reid is far more defensively minded. Kilbane has performed well in central midfield when he has a defensive partner beside him, I wouldn't play him there, but I wouldn't
be disappointed to see him line out there either. With the squad Stan has picked and the ensuing injuries and suspensions, central midfielders are a bit thin on the ground. Given the alternatives (Douglas/Miller/Potter) who would you pick, and why?

eirebhoy
14/10/2007, 9:55 PM
I agree with tets. There's a big difference between Ireland-Kilbane and Reid-Kilbane. Reid will naturally be in good positions. Kilbane can just follow his line. Kilbane played beside Potter in America and you could see the difference.

DmanDmythDledge
14/10/2007, 9:55 PM
Given

Finnan McShane O'Shea Kilbane

Keane Reid O'Brien Hunt

Keogh Long

NeilMcD
14/10/2007, 10:18 PM
I would play Joey O Brien and Andy Reid in the centre and Hunt on the left with Kilbane behind him and O Shea and McShane at centre back with Finnan at right back. I would play Liam Miller on the right and I would Keogh and Keane or Keogh and Doyle.

Given

Finnan O Shea Mc Shane Kilbane

Miller O Brien Reid Hunt

Keogh Doyle/Keane

tetsujin1979
14/10/2007, 10:21 PM
Given

Finnan McShane O'Shea Kilbane

Keane Reid O'Brien Hunt

Keogh Long

Long ruled out with a groin injury: http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2515

tricky_colour
14/10/2007, 10:22 PM
Long is out, I suspect Stan will play O'Shea

Torn-Ado
14/10/2007, 10:25 PM
We might win 1 or 2 nil.

I can't see us hammering these guys.

DmanDmythDledge
14/10/2007, 10:35 PM
Long ruled out with a groin injury: http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2515
McGeady on right and Keane upfront then.

tricky_colour
14/10/2007, 11:43 PM
We might win 1 or 2 nil.

I can't see us hammering these guys.

The Czech, at home only beat them 1:0 - that's not good news for Stan, Should Cyprus get a result, and they might, I would say Stan would have to go. However another way of looking at it is to say that Cyprus at home, might well beat the Czech. Things might be closer than they appear.

SuperDave
15/10/2007, 12:48 AM
The Czech, at home only beat them 1:0 - that's not good news for Stan, Should Cyprus get a result, and they might, I would say Stan would have to go. However another way of looking at it is to say that Cyprus at home, might well beat the Czech. Things might be closer than they appear.

if you mean in terms of qualifying, you need to consult your doctor, cos that's not aspirin you're on,it's crack.

BobbySands
15/10/2007, 2:03 AM
If a defeat to the Cypriots means San gets the boot then I'll hope for that.

Qwerty
15/10/2007, 2:20 AM
You're dreaming if you think Stan is going to get the boot, it would take an utterly humilating defeat and even then I can't see him go. Basically it's Delaney and Delaney alone who calls the shots, and this is the guy who gave Stan a 4 year contract. Stan will be around until the end of the next campaign where we will again fail to qualify.

Colbert Report
15/10/2007, 4:38 AM
Given

Finnan-J.O'Brien-McShane-Kilbane
McGeady-O'Shea-A.Reid-Hunt
Keane-Doyle

Dropping Keogh and Kelly from Saturday's team. Wasn't impressed with either, and Keogh can come on later if we need him, seeing as Long is not available. Keogh was only good for fifty or so minutes anyway.

Hibs4Ever
15/10/2007, 7:01 AM
Given

Finnan-J.O'Brien-McShane-Kilbane
McGeady-O'Shea-A.Reid-Hunt
Keane-Doyle

Dropping Keogh and Kelly from Saturday's team. Wasn't impressed with either, and Keogh can come on later if we need him, seeing as Long is not available. Keogh was only good for fifty or so minutes anyway.

Which is 50 minutes more than McGeady against Czech and Slovakia. Whats your basis on picking McGeady over Keogh?

eirebhoy
15/10/2007, 8:32 AM
Of course McGeady has been rubbish for Ireland but to say Keogh was much better is crazy. I watched the match live and I watched it again yesterday. He was guilty of everything McGeady was guilty of. I certainly wouldn't just say that to back up McGeady, whether you believe that or not.

rambler14
15/10/2007, 9:14 AM
Given

Keane - Doyle

Thats the team i'd go with too.

rambler14
15/10/2007, 9:16 AM
Nyatanga Ledley Robinson Davies
Bellamy Eastwood
Apart from possibly Bellamy, you wouldn't pick any one of those ahead of the Irish players

Bellamy yes and possibly Joe Ledley. Not necesserily in central midfield as hes a fine left back too.
He could easily replace Kelly

reder
15/10/2007, 9:31 AM
Given
Finnan - J.O'Brien - McShane - Kilbane
Keogh - Miller - A.Reid - Hunt
Keane - Doyle

Thats my first 11. Its the best available. I would leave McGeady on the bench to bring on. I am very worried about Wed. I sense an embarrassing defeat is on the cards. I believe we are there for the taking and we would do very well to get a 1-0 win.

Lets be honest guys, a defeat on Wed and away to the Taffy's would be the icing on the cake for the utterly miserable campaign which has seen the international setup regress about 25 years on the field.

ifk101
15/10/2007, 10:43 AM
I'd be worried if McShane and O'Brien start together at the back especially with Carsley missing.

Hibs4Ever
15/10/2007, 10:45 AM
I'd be worried if McShane and O'Brien start together at the back especially with Carsley missing.

You shouldn't be. We're playing Cyprus. They're sh!t away from home. Even wales hammered them

NeilMcD
15/10/2007, 10:48 AM
Lads a few things, Kilbane and O Shea should never play central midfield as they dont think like Central Midfielders and dont act like them. Its the most important position on the field and you cannot play someone out of position there. Joey O Brien is a central midfielder who did a good job at centre back on Saturday but he should play beside Reid on Wednesay and Miller and Hunt should be on the wings.

O Shea and Mc Shane at centre back with Finnan and Kilbane and fullback. THat way you have as many players playing in their natural positions.

back of the net
15/10/2007, 10:52 AM
[QUOTE=nui-harp;790071]Best thing that could happen is for Ireland to get humiliated and beaten 3-0 or along those lines. Shock results are the only way that Stan is going to jump now, he's too thick to see that everyone hates him. A half full stadium would be great also and really hit the FAI where it hurts. Incidently, does anyone know how much a sniper costs? Just incase Delaney doesn't bugger off too.[/QUOTE

you dont have a clue - bloody hell

get a grip

Lionel Ritchie
15/10/2007, 10:53 AM
You're dreaming if you think Stan is going to get the boot, it would take an utterly humilating defeat and even then I can't see him go. Basically it's Delaney and Delaney alone who calls the shots, and this is the guy who gave Stan a 4 year contract. Stan will be around until the end of the next campaign where we will again fail to qualify.

Agreed. There is no combination of results that will get Stan sacked at this stage. Nor will he walk of his own volition as if he leaves he leaves in disgrace and will never work in football again.

If we lose or draw to Cyprus (not out of the question at all) and lose in Cardiff (quite likely) he is better off batoning down the hatches and sneaking off for a quite holiday somwhere to ride out the storm and they'll just take the phone off the hook in Merrion Square and pour themselves a stiff brandy.

cheifo
15/10/2007, 10:54 AM
Lads a few things, Kilbane and O Shea should never play central midfield as they dont think like Central Midfielders and dont act like them. Its the most important position on the field and you cannot play someone out of position there. Joey O Brien is a central midfielder who did a good job at centre back on Saturday but he should play beside Reid on Wednesay and Miller and Hunt should be on the wings.

O Shea and Mc Shane at centre back with Finnan and Kilbane and fullback. THat way you have as many players playing in their natural positions.

What he said.

Tipp Townie
15/10/2007, 11:08 AM
Of course McGeady has been rubbish for Ireland but to say Keogh was much better is crazy. I watched the match live and I watched it again yesterday. He was guilty of everything McGeady was guilty of. I certainly wouldn't just say that to back up McGeady, whether you believe that or not.

Admittedly i've only watched the match once, but i thought Keogh did well on saturday, and i also think he provides a bit more of a physical presence than McGeady. He certainly put in some hard tackles in the opening part of the game. A couple of times he lost the ball and got straight back in and either won it back or made sure that the Germans couldnt advance with it, which i don't remember McGeady doing against the Slovaks or Czechs.

But, the two reasons why i'd have him ahead of McGeady in the pecking order*; a) he deserves another shot, after all McGeady was started in our last two+, so really Keogh should get the same chance; and b) i'm happier with McGeady as a sub impact player.

*this is not to say that, with Hunt back from suspension, i'd start either against Cyprus. I'm still undecided about my starting XI!

+to be fair they were tricky away games

tetsujin1979
15/10/2007, 11:12 AM
Admittedly i've only watched the match once, but i thought Keogh did well on saturday, and i also think he provides a bit more of a physical presence than McGeady. He certainly put in some hard tackles in the opening part of the game. A couple of times he lost the ball and got straight back in and either won it back or made sure that the Germans couldnt advance with it, which i don't remember McGeady doing against the Slovaks or Czechs.

But, the two reasons why i'd have him ahead of McGeady in the pecking order*; a) he deserves another shot, after all McGeady was started in our last two+, so really Keogh should get the same chance; and b) i'm happier with McGeady as a sub impact player.

*this is not to say that, with Hunt back from suspension, i'd start either against Cyprus. I'm still undecided about my starting XI!

+to be fair they were tricky away games

Agreed, he was poor in the first half, but improved massively in the second half, and was beating his man more often than not. Considering the Germans eventually stuck 2 players on him when he had the ball, he still did well. At one point I was screaming for him to cross, that he wasn't going to beat his man. And of course he promptly did. Queue laughs from the lads I was at the game with at my expense ;)

Noelys Guitar
15/10/2007, 11:40 AM
Agreed. There is no combination of results that will get Stan sacked at this stage. Nor will he walk of his own volition as if he leaves he leaves in disgrace and will never work in football again.

If we lose or draw to Cyprus (not out of the question at all) and lose in Cardiff (quite likely) he is better off batoning down the hatches and sneaking off for a quite holiday somwhere to ride out the storm and they'll just take the phone off the hook in Merrion Square and pour themselves a stiff brandy.

It sounds absurd but thats exactly what will happen.

BradyIsMyHero
15/10/2007, 11:44 AM
O'shea will come back, but where ?

I'd play him left back with Kilbane on the same wing - can cover for O'Shea

Play Hunt on right wing. Neither McGeady nor Keogh are good enough for this level.

Alternatively, play him in centre mid, along with Reid - leaving O'Brien centre back with Mcshane

eirebhoy
15/10/2007, 11:56 AM
There's a video of Andy Reid's performance in the match thread. He sent 4 long balls over to Keogh in the video. You don't see the end result but Keogh lost possession on all 4 occasions. He rarely kept possession. He wasn't impressive in the US either. It's unfair to be playing him out of position and I wouldn't play Keogh or McGeady on Wednesday.

geysir
15/10/2007, 12:18 PM
It's possible that you could compare mistake statistics but there is no question in my mind that the young Keogh has the attributes that Ireland need right now, if it's a question of one over the other.
The last thing we need is a brilliant wee player cowering on the wing getting shoved off the ball with ease.
It's not that crazy to think that the stout hearted Andy Keogh is one of the young lads that we need to have with more big game experience. He stood tall against the flying German elbows and gave as good as he got.
McGeady can get substitute time.

conlonn
15/10/2007, 1:25 PM
Leave O Shea on the bench where he belongs, Start Keogh up front in place of "wave my arms about like a clown and miss a really really easy chance against Germany" Keane. Mcgeady is not good enough yet to start.
Miller and Hunt HAVE TO both start, but alas Ginger gimp will amaze us with his team selection again I suspect!!

Kingdom
15/10/2007, 3:06 PM
As Neil has said earlier in this thread we really have to put our players in their natural positions or at least where they play for their clubs.
This midfield

Keogh - Miller - A.Reid - Hunt

would be physically run over completely I believe. This campaign is gone and if the management are really and truely trying to tweak things for wc10 qualifiers then try a few new combinations, we surely won't get a better 2 matches.

The call for Joey O'Brien in centre midfield is a good one. He appears to be very composed on the ball, something Dunne is not. He is quite strong, good in the tackle and is tall enough also.

I'd be happy with this team
Given
Finnan
Dunne
O'Shea
Kilbane
Miller
Reid
O'Brien
Hunt
Keane
Doyle

Will there be 50000 in attendence given the amount of spares available? :D

passinginterest
15/10/2007, 3:59 PM
Given
Finnan
Dunne
O'Shea
Kilbane
Miller
Reid
O'Brien
Hunt
Keane
Doyle

That's the team I'd like to see too. God only knows what it'll be though.

mattie
15/10/2007, 4:15 PM
I think Stan will favour Douglas over Miller to replace Carsley.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Miller and Douglas play together in central midfield because they were actually quite good together the year Leeds made it to the playoff final.

Obviously Reid has to start if he's fit.

I just hope John O' Shea doesn't get in. You can't keep rewarding a guy who plays that badly with a place in the team. I feel the same about Mcgeady. He's had enough chances. Keogh deserves at least another look this game.

Hibs4Ever
15/10/2007, 4:19 PM
Given
Finnan
Dunne
O'Shea
Kilbane
Miller
Reid
O'Brien
Hunt
Keane
Doyle

That's the team I'd like to see too. God only knows what it'll be though.

Lads Dunne is suspended

bigmac
15/10/2007, 4:25 PM
God only knows what it'll be though.
I'm not God, but here's what I think Stan'll do.

Given
Finnan O'Shea McShane Kelly
Stan will say that O'Shea and McShane did well against the Czechs together. (It's possible that O'Brien will hang on to his place and O'Shea go to left full though.)

Keogh Reid Douglas Kilbane

Doyle Keane

Colbert Report
15/10/2007, 5:34 PM
Which is 50 minutes more than McGeady against Czech and Slovakia. Whats your basis on picking McGeady over Keogh?

He's in better physical condition, meaning he'll be able to run for more than one half.