PDA

View Full Version : Waterford Utd Sack Robert Brosnan

blue til i die
13/10/2007, 10:39 PM
We have terminated Robert Brosnans contract. He supposidly played in a high profile quarter final of the Cork Senior Football Championship this weekend,2 days before our season make-or-break game in Longford. fool!!
officail site doesnt much though:
http://www.waterford-united.ie/nextpage.php?subaction=showfull&id=1192300199&archive=&start_from=&ucat=1&

anybody know of others being sacked/released for playing other sports??

micls
13/10/2007, 10:42 PM
Yeah he plays for my local club St. Nicks- quarter final against Carraigdhoun at the weekend.

Stupid thing to do really but I guess he decided it was worth the risk. Been a long time since the club did well in the Championship.

blue til i die
13/10/2007, 10:43 PM
but didnt they lose the match i think??

micls
13/10/2007, 10:44 PM
but didnt they lose the match i think??

Nope they won 2-9 to 1-8 and Brosnan got 3 points. Play Nemo in the next round

Paddyfield
13/10/2007, 10:45 PM
A few years ago a promising Galway United player who only made a handful of first team appearances (I can't remeber his surname - Padraig ?) was playing Gaelic Football for his local club.

A photographer from the Connacht Tribune arrived to take photos and he was conspicuous by his absense from the pre match team photo.

Unfortunately, he scored a crucial goal and his colour photo was plastered in the sports section of the paper when he was celebrating scoring the goal.

feo123
13/10/2007, 10:46 PM

who cares

blue til i die
13/10/2007, 10:46 PM
didnt they lose to Nemo this weekend??

is it a sackable offence though??
suprises me since we allowed PJ Banville do it a few years ago to play Football for Wexford!

micls
13/10/2007, 10:49 PM
who cares

I'd guess BTID since he asked....

feo123
13/10/2007, 10:50 PM
I'd guess BTID since he asked....

GAH :rolleyes:

bit harsh being sacked maybe, wasnt he on loan from cobh? was he any good?

micls
13/10/2007, 10:51 PM
didnt they lose to Nemo this weekend??

is it a sackable offence though??

Possibly did. Dont keep up fully was going by the website

If its in his contract not to play games within a certain timeframe of one of ye're matches, then I guess it is.

Id wager its probably not the first time though, he probably had a warning before

blue til i die
13/10/2007, 10:51 PM
i'm just interested if this has happened at other clubs?? couldnt care less about brosnan,he's a fool, since he had already been warned about it!

blue til i die
13/10/2007, 10:55 PM

he was on loan last year but signed for this year! was handy enough, had a great game against Derry City last week. could play centre half or centre forward!

Terry
13/10/2007, 10:58 PM
It could say in his contract that he wasnt to play in other sports? I know that when Tony Mannion was GUFC manager he didnt let anyone play GAA as if they got injured playing it, GUFC still had to play their wages, along with the extra bills that came with it, physio etc. to get the players back into shape.

blue til i die
13/10/2007, 11:03 PM
as far as i know,he had already been warned about it,so i suppose if he blatently played another match,he got wat he deserved.

DRDoc
13/10/2007, 11:31 PM
Gallagher the Dundalk keeper failed to turn up for an away trip last month - the reason?

He was playing GAA instead

Didnt even get the sack - as far as I know he wasnt even disciplined

Raheny Red
14/10/2007, 12:13 AM
i'm just interested if this has happened at other clubs?? couldnt care less about brosnan,he's a fool, since he had already been warned about it!

Richie Foran was always at it and even did it while at Carlisle while in the off season - usually played Gah with St. Josephs I think.

Sheridan
14/10/2007, 12:21 AM
Ger Robinson missed basically the entire season for Kildare due to Gah commitments. Should be a zero tolerance policy across all clubs. If you're serious about being a professional sportsmen there's no time for indulging in these childish pursuits which are inimical to personal and sporting development.

CollegeTillIDie
14/10/2007, 9:09 AM
Playing GAA , if you're earning even a partial living playing soccer( or real football ), should be punishable by being forced to walk through the town dressed in a capuchin outfit ringing a bell chanting '' unclean , unclean '' :D
P.J. Banville if I am not mistaken signed as an amateur, on the previous occasion he played for the Blues. In that instance as he doesn't get paid , the rules might be different.

Comic Book Guy
14/10/2007, 9:38 AM

He was on loan last season to Waterford but signed for them permanently this season, I can understand Waterford's frustration with this, I mean what with picking injuries up etc.

steno
14/10/2007, 9:44 AM
Richie Foran was always at it and even did it while at Carlisle while in the off season - usually played Gah with St. Josephs I think.

He was caught by Motherwell i think if he was with them and was told not to do it again by the manager

Mr A
14/10/2007, 12:10 PM
Proper order- fair play to Waterford for taking a stand on this. At such a vital time for the club this was shocking unprofessional and stupid behavior and sacking him was entirely appropriate.

gaffer33
14/10/2007, 12:49 PM
Proper order- fair play to Waterford for taking a stand on this. At such a vital time for the club this was shocking unprofessional and stupid behavior and sacking him was entirely appropriate.
Totally agree Mr.A,being paid to play soccer at premier level then goes and wrecks it all by playing bloody gah,jesus its so frustrating even writing this to think what he's after doing,:mad:was a donkey anyway,delighted rams got rid of him..:D

dahamsta
14/10/2007, 2:33 PM
who caresIf you've got nothing to say, try saying nothing.

sniffa
14/10/2007, 4:22 PM
They should have suspended him without pay for the remainder of the season. That way they keep his registration stopping him signing for another club. By sacking him he is now an out-of-work professional and can sign for any club that will take him on.

Mr A
14/10/2007, 4:46 PM
No club can sign anyone at this stage I don't think.

dcfcsteve
14/10/2007, 8:49 PM

Cork GAA Championship versus Eircom leasgue ? Hmm- strange priority call...

Don't Nemo usually clean up in Cork anyway....?

blue til i die
14/10/2007, 8:58 PM
they already lost to Nemo so he has no more gah or soccer now, good ridance!

chimpster
15/10/2007, 6:43 AM
Seeing as his Gah club has been knocked out now, and WU have sacked him, he'll probably be on the teamsheet/bench at Cobh on Saturday. :D

On the subject of 'dual' players, Garry Connaughton was playing in goals for both Athlone Town and Westmeath for years, he only gave up the soccer when it changed to a summer season.

Terry
15/10/2007, 8:08 AM
there was a thread elsewhere that said that players out of contract cannot be signed towards the end of a season.

KildareFan
15/10/2007, 12:20 PM
Ger Robinson missed basically the entire season for Kildare due to Gah commitments. Should be a zero tolerance policy across all clubs. If you're serious about being a professional sportsmen there's no time for indulging in these childish pursuits which are inimical to personal and sporting development.

That was different. In that case, Robinson made it quite clear that his first commitment was to GAA. He played 3 games earlier in the season (scoring three goals) and only played last weekend as his side had been knocked out of the Meath Championship the week before.

there are rumours that he might devote himself to soccer for the full season next year, hopefully so, he has scored five goals in just four league games this season!!

Dodge
15/10/2007, 12:31 PM
I always had a soft spot for Dave Barry because (when pushed by Cork GAA) he chose LOI football over gaelic football

In this instance Waterford are spot on. Although it does show you how low of an esteem some players hold the league in.

CollegeTillIDie
16/10/2007, 5:39 AM
Brosnan apparently didn't turn up for training one night last week citing ''injury'' and then played the GAH club match on the Saturday. Breach of Contract? Too darn right! :D
P.S. What is it with Cork soccer players and telling porkies lately?

clash
16/10/2007, 7:48 AM
You really are all a crowd of tossers, almost every one of you.

Slating the GAA as being a childish persuit and somehow inferior to Soccer ? Grow up.

Mr A
16/10/2007, 7:54 AM

Slating the GAA as being a childish persuit and somehow inferior to Soccer ? Grow up.

The had a contract with Waterford United and broke it- playing a GAA match just two days before a massive game for his club. If you can't see why people feel it was absolutely correct that he should be sacked then it is you that has the problem dude.

razor
16/10/2007, 8:29 AM

Slating the GAA as being a childish persuit and somehow inferior to Soccer ? Grow up.Its more to do with the fact that he was being paid money by Waterford to play football as part of a written contract.
He breached the contract, good luck.

BTW this is a football forum, if you want a forum that holds the GAA in higher esteem then this ain't the place for you buddy.

JC_GUFC
16/10/2007, 9:12 AM
That was different. In that case, Robinson made it quite clear that his first commitment was to GAA. He played 3 games earlier in the season (scoring three goals) and only played last weekend as his side had been knocked out of the Meath Championship the week before.

there are rumours that he might devote himself to soccer for the full season next year, hopefully so, he has scored five goals in just four league games this season!!

Is that the lad who was at Dundalk a few years ago?
Decent player. Good for Division 1, himself and Amond would've been one of the best strike forces in the league!

Jason Sherlock was given a choice by Rico when he was at Rovers either football or GAA, he chose GAA as apparently he was making more money playing that!!!

DvB
16/10/2007, 9:27 AM
Jason Sherlock was given a choice by Rico when he was at Rovers either football or GAA, he chose GAA as apparently he was making more money playing that!!!

Correct!
Kinda makes a mockery of the Naz...oops sorry GAA's spin of it being an amateur sport!

Btw fair play to WUFC on this, as mentioned above and personally speaking i believe there should be zero tolerance to this, if you commit to playing football (the proper one, not that barbaric muck wrestling) at the highest level available in the country surely turning out in other contact sports is a risk to your health therefore hardly the actions of a commited footballer!

Koh

CollegeTillIDie
16/10/2007, 9:15 PM

There are over 200 nations who are members of FIFA. How many countries on earth play Gaelic football? Less than 10 .
The best sport the GAA has is hurling and they have failed to develop it outside a handful of counties. Soccer as you call it is played all over the world.

kdjaC
16/10/2007, 9:49 PM
Is that the lad who was at Dundalk a few years ago?
Decent player. Good for Division 1, himself and Amond would've been one of the best strike forces in the league!

He was doing ads for arnotts and was on tv on some stupid tv show, that money was gained mostly from being a personality from Dubs.

He was on trial with liverpool for 2 weeks lasted 3 days or so before they sent him home.

Wouldnt say that brosnan had the same career choices tbh.

kdjac

clash
17/10/2007, 4:56 AM
I'm not talking about Brosnan getting sacked. I agree with you, he broke his contract, he should have being dropped.

I'm talking about the stupid childish and ignorant comments about the GAA here.

What the hell does it matter how many countries play soccer and how many play GAA ?

Jesus grow up what age are you ? I only started watching EL again and the reason i stopped in the first place was because of the same bull**** your talking now.

I have never heard the same ****e from anyone else, English, Welsh etc only from Irish people. So soccers your main sport, why the hell do you have to slate the unique games we have on this island ?

The Rebel Ram
17/10/2007, 5:56 AM
I'm not talking about Brosnan getting sacked. I agree with you, he broke his contract, he should have being dropped.

What the hell does it matter how many countries play soccer and how many play GAA ?

Jesus grow up what age are you ? I only started watching EL again and the reason i stopped in the first place was because of the same bull**** your talking now.

I have never heard the same ****e from anyone else, English, Welsh etc only from Irish people. So soccers your main sport, why the hell do you have to slate the unique games we have on this island ?

And I thought I was the only one on here that thought that!!!:)

I'm an EL fan first but I'm also a huge fan of GAA.

Can't understand the harsh ignorant comments about the GAA,

Make love not war...........lol:D

Mr A
17/10/2007, 8:02 AM

I wonder could this be related to the fact that the GAA never launched court actions preventing any Welsh or English clubs from moving into their own home?

RĂ©iteoir
17/10/2007, 8:18 AM

A couple of English friends of mine can't stand the "sport" either - they think the whole scene is rather parochial (a term used not in a good way) - especially when they heard of the Thomas Davis thing, the Rule 42 business and the stuff that went on with the Ban and the spreading of glass on proper football pitches.

They think it's a twee little game (they refuse to call it a sport) - pigeonholing it with leprachauns, Guinness, Paddy's Day and drunk priests.

If you don't like the "home truths" about the GAA expressed here - may I suggest you only look at HoganStand.com (or whatever it's called) from now on...

Dodge
17/10/2007, 8:29 AM
You stopped going to football because some people don't like other sports? Whats that about? Would you stop going if people start slagging your favourite singer?

Some English football fans hate Rugby or cricket, some English cricket fans hate football. Some Irish football fans hate Gaelic games, and some gaelic fans hate football.

Why do care so much what everyone thinks? You like the games, so go and enjoy them. Personally I hate them

razor
17/10/2007, 8:30 AM
Personally I hate themMe too

bigmac
17/10/2007, 9:32 AM

Can you identify all the quotes prior to your response that slate the GAA as childish and inferior please. I'm a bit confused as to why almost all of us are suddenly tossers in your opinion.

gspain
17/10/2007, 9:34 AM

Welcome back clash. assume you ar ethe same guy posting on ourweecountry. Still waiting to find out what Sligo GAA match you attended then went to a Sligo rovers game immediately afterwards when the home crowd cheered the fact that Sligo GAA lost.

Anyway to your point. There are a number of reasons why football fans would have a problem with the GAA.

1) The Ban while lifted in the early 70's the legacy lasted well into the 80's. There are many incidents of football clubs in rural Ireland having goalposts chopped down and broken glass spread across goalmouths. Shay Given's father had to travel to game s in the boot of a car to avoid being banned from playing GAA. You may also remember the only county in the Republic that voted to keep the ban too clash. Thankfully those days are gone.

Although people like Sean Kelly and Tommy Kenoy are prime examples of forward thinking and non bigoted GAA people who are bringing the organisation kicking and screaming out of the dark ages there are still many who fight the change.

As you are well aware clash there are other reasons why those mainly in Nothern Ireland have issues with the GAA too as they continue to name clubs, grounds, cups etc after convicted terrorists. Thankfully in the Republic they appear to be reversing the trend although nobody will tackle the elephant in the room.

As for Brosnan I think everybody agrees he deserves to be sacked although I know of a lot worse over the years like a totally drunk goalkeeper picking a fight with a club sponsor at 4am on the mornig of a vital cup tie. He let in 4 the following afternoon.

sligoman
17/10/2007, 5:53 PM
Still waiting to find out what Sligo GAA match you attended then went to a Sligo rovers game immediately afterwards when the home crowd cheered the fact that Sligo GAA lost.haha, delighted hearing that:D

half_full
17/10/2007, 6:59 PM

Don't mind them, while I'm firmly on Rovers side in the Thomas Davis saga, theres 1000's of fans across the country that manage to enjoy both codes:ball:

While some of the GAA top brass might seem a bit OTT at times, just compare them to the likes of Delaney...:rolleyes:

CollegeTillIDie
18/10/2007, 8:51 PM
I never slag the GAA Presidents especially not the last two.
I am impressed particularly by the work of Sean Kelly and to an extent Nicky Brennan ( interestingly enough both hurling people).
I am also impressed by the powers that be at the top end of the IRFU.
If their top people were as poor as some of the FAI's top people, Lansdowne would not be redeveloped at all. And the GAA would never have the stadium they have now if they had the likes of a Delaney in charge.