PDA

View Full Version : The attention span of a.... ooh look, a squirrel!

dahamsta
13/10/2007, 12:45 PM
I'm sure many of you wouldn't classify this as a current affair, but it is a social problem that's just getting worse as far as I can see. Email, forums and the web in general have definitely shortened my attention span, but the likes of Twitter and the awful social networking sites like Bebo and MySpace have taken an even worse toll on the kiddywinkies. Here's two example:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055164809
Read posts #1 and #3. Poster #3 didn't read beyond the title.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055164831
Poster #2 didn't read beyond the second third of post #1.

These are just two examples that popped up today, they're not the sole reason I'm posting, they're just triggers. It happens all the time, and it gets worse and worse. I even do it myself from time to time, as I'm sure you're aware, and find myself having to apologise later.

I've two questions. First of all, do other people think this is a problem or is it just my imagination; or do people see it and think it's not actually a big problem. Secondly, if you do see it and do think it's a problem, what can we do about it?

adam

superfrank
13/10/2007, 1:23 PM
I get easily distracted. I mean right now I'm supposed to be practising my typing.

I'm also absent-minded about important things. I once got a girlfriend's birthday confused with an ex's.

Though I tend to remember unimportant things.

I think it could be partly because of all the telly and computer use everyone in developed countries has these days. I know this can damage your eyes and surely it's not good for your brain either.

As a budding young hack (and journalistic snob), I'd also blame the tabloids. They're all about grabbing attention and a lot of their main articles are just taken up with big photos.

It could also be linked to the dumbing down of society.

dahamsta
13/10/2007, 1:45 PM
The telly is certainly a factor, but I think the Internet is really to blame for taking it to the level it's at now. Certainly in Ireland anyway. In America they progressed along the road to ad breaks every ten minutes a lot quicker than we did. We're there now, but I'd blame t'internet for that. Of course texting is another factor.

adam

cheifo
13/10/2007, 1:47 PM
I have ADD.I scored 20 for thoroughness(attn to detail) in a test.Average person is 100.Its a pain in the arse.Whether someone can develop a short attn span from living in the modern enviorment I dont know.I know with kids, diet is important hence the marketing of omega 3 etc.We have so much choice now that people dont spend time to process information in the same way from Newspapers and other media unless a particular subject is of interest.
I am also sceptical about the dumbing down of the curriculum.For instance
my sister who is an English teacher told me her students are studying Inside I am Dancing(the film).Good wee film but if I was tbh I would prefer kids to be studying the classics.I have no evidence to suggest this gives young wans a better mindset but I find it hard to believe it would'nt be more beneficial in the long term.
On the bright side kids like my nieces love book stories and I recall reading somewhere that reading fiction improves both memory and attn span.

strangeirish
13/10/2007, 4:35 PM
And this one time, at band camp...

The telly is certainly a factor, but I think the Internet is really to blame for taking it to the level it's at now. Certainly in Ireland anyway. In America they progressed along the road to ad breaks every ten minutes a lot quicker than we did. We're there now, but I'd blame t'internet for that. Of course texting is another factor.Have to agree with this and you can throw in MTV as a specific telly factor, amongst the multitude of other tripe on the airwaves.

Now, I have to go ride my bike.

Seriously though, I do see it as a problem, specifically younger people in the work force( 20 somethings) not being focused on the task at hand. As the US is near full employment, the consequences of losing a job are not as severe as they used to be. I can only speak for my little part of the world, but I now see the gap between the younger and older generations closing, in regards to this issue. The problem of finding a 'cure' will, if not already, become a delicate issue. I'm open to suggestions.

jebus
13/10/2007, 6:59 PM
I think the main problem the internet has thrown up is that everyone has an opinion on everything, and think they should be allowed speak whenever they feel like it. It's not lack of an attention span that the internet has brought on, it's more of a disregard for anhyone's opinion. I mean how can someone be expected to care or listen to what you have to say about rip off Ireland/Darfur/animal welfare/football/etc. when they have sat through a hundred conversations on the internet on it already? Everyone feels that reading and posting in threads on certain topics make them an authority on the matter these days, so why bother hearing anyone out?

pete
14/10/2007, 1:43 PM
Multitasking...

At work try to write email, talk to colleague at work, text on skype to colleague in different office & reply to foot.ie post & remember what you typing... It would explain lack of proof reading in my posts too ;)

Cymro
15/10/2007, 10:21 AM
Internet forums have really lowered my capacity to concentrate on everyday things. Usually I appear to be listening to my boss/mate etc, but my mind is a million miles away thinking about some debate I posted in a few hours ago.

Dodge
15/10/2007, 10:28 AM
Paul,

As discussed. Please find attached speadsheet.

Regards,

pineapple stu
15/10/2007, 12:50 PM
Nothing attached, Dodge.

There was a Mexican wave started with ten minutes to go in the Ireland Germany game. Ten minutes, we need a win to have any chance of prolonging the inevitable, we're starting to push forward and create chances, and a load of morons start a Mexican Wave?! If a game of football can't hold the attention of football fans, the world is in trouble...

Dodge
15/10/2007, 12:57 PM
If a game of football can't hold the attention of football fans, the world is in trouble...

You're assuming they're football fans ;)

pineapple stu
15/10/2007, 1:02 PM
Touché...

Newryrep
15/10/2007, 2:07 PM
There was a Mexican wave started with ten minutes to go in the Ireland Germany game. Ten minutes, we need a win to have any chance of prolonging the inevitable, we're starting to push forward and create chances, and a load of morons start a Mexican Wave?! If a game of football can't hold the attention of football fans, the world is in trouble...

What the hell do people expect at an Ireland game- entertainment ?, if they want to be entertained go to the cinema/theatre/races/circus etc (delete as necessary) Dont go to an Ireland game expecting to see Italy/Brasil 82 and then start a mexican wave because you are bored/disinterested.

Given that at least 50% of the crowd joined in - it is infuriating

What the hell do players like Dunne and Given think when this happens - 'i am busting a gut here and half these people are tossers who dont give a flying ****

dahamsta
15/10/2007, 3:05 PM
Sorry, but someone has to say it:

When you put football in a class other than "entertainment", you seriously need to get a life.

EDIT: Unless you're actually involved in the business of football. Even then, far too many people have ideas above their station. Football and all other sports, from rugby to tiddlywinks, are entertainment by definition. Yes, the same "entertainment" that included cinema, theatre, races, circus, etc. Ask the board of the biggest football clubs in the world where they categorise their businesses if you don't believe me.

adam

Dodge
15/10/2007, 3:13 PM

When you put football in a class other than "entertainment", you seriously need to get a life.

EDIT: Unless you're actually involved in the business of football. Even then, far too many people have ideas above their station. Football and all other sports, from rugby to tiddlywinks, are entertainment by definition. Yes, the same "entertainment" that included cinema, theatre, races, circus, etc. Ask the board of the biggest football clubs in the world where they categorise their businesses if you don't believe me.

How many years running the football site and you still don't get it?

dahamsta
15/10/2007, 3:14 PM
Ten. What's not to get? What category would you put it in? It's sport ffs.

(I'd argue that I get it a lot better than some of the people on Foot.ie. There's a minority there that seriously need to go out and get laid.)

adam

John83
15/10/2007, 3:20 PM
I'm sure many of you wouldn't classify this as a current affair, but it is a social problem that's just getting worse as far as I can see. Email, forums and the web in general have definitely shortened my attention span, but the likes of Twitter and the awful social networking sites like Bebo and MySpace have taken an even worse toll on the kiddywinkies. Here's two example:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055164809
Read posts #1 and #3. Poster #3 didn't read beyond the title.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055164831
Poster #2 didn't read beyond the second third of post #1.

These are just two examples that popped up today, they're not the sole reason I'm posting, they're just triggers. It happens all the time, and it gets worse and worse. I even do it myself from time to time, as I'm sure you're aware, and find myself having to apologise later.

I've two questions. First of all, do other people think this is a problem or is it just my imagination; or do people see it and think it's not actually a big problem. Secondly, if you do see it and do think it's a problem, what can we do about it?

adam
I heard that the grey squirrel population is encroaching on that of the red squirrel. People are concerned. I haven't read anything about it though, but there was a pretty map in the newspaper. I forget which one.

John83
15/10/2007, 3:31 PM

(I'd argue that I get it a lot better than some of the people on Foot.ie. There's a minority there that seriously need to get out and get laid.)

adam
A minority is less than half Adam. ;)

Anyway, yes it's a big problem, and I've done it myself. The other day I had it pointed out to me (http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=789093&postcount=6) here by Kingdom Hoop. Now, that particular Anto's on my ignore list (I forget why), but I still should have picked it up.

I find that it's far worse on a computer, where I'm accustomed to scrolling down through a large document, picking out stuff. I nearly have to print out an academic paper to be able to read it thoroughly - I'll can't focus properly on an electronic version. Conversely, I've a decent attention span

Why is that? Is it habit, or a physiological thing? If it's habit, we need to look at how young people learn to use computers. If it's physiological, the ball's in Sony and co's court.

Pete's correct about the multi-tasking. Computers let us 'do' a lot more things at once than we're actually efficient at doing.

Newryrep
15/10/2007, 3:45 PM

When you put football in a class other than "entertainment", you seriously need to get a life.adam

I do class it as entertainment i just dont expect to be entertained at an Ireland game

Next time you are at the cinema/circus etc and you are bored/disinterested/couldnt be bothered and you dont want to walk out, try starting a mexican wave .

dahamsta
15/10/2007, 4:09 PM
I do class it as entertainment i just dont expect to be entertained at an Ireland gameLOL

Next time you are at the cinema/circus etc and you are bored/disinterested/couldnt be bothered and you dont want to walk out, try starting a mexican wave .I might actually do that. Bit tricky in the cinema though, I reckon. :)

Bald Student
15/10/2007, 4:15 PM

Anyway, yes it's a big problem, and I've done it myself. The other day I had it pointed out to me (http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=789093&postcount=6) here by Kingdom Hoop. Now, that particular Anto's on my ignore list (I forget why), but I still should have picked it up.

I find that it's far worse on a computer, where I'm accustomed to scrolling down through a large document, picking out stuff. I nearly have to print out an academic paper to be able to read it thoroughly - I'll can't focus properly on an electronic version. Conversely, I've a decent attention span

Why is that? Is it habit, or a physiological thing? If it's habit, we need to look at how young people learn to use computers. If it's physiological, the ball's in Sony and co's court.

Pete's correct about the multi-tasking. Computers let us 'do' a lot more things at once than we're actually efficient at doing.It's because academic papers are printed in 2 columns.

pete
15/10/2007, 4:18 PM
Dunnes Stores clothes is cheap rubbish...

I hear some Designer sueing them for riping off designs. Apparently McDowell representing the Designer & despite enacting some sort of law/rule while he was Minister for Justice that Judges should not be referring to M' Lord anymore he broke it himself :D

John83
15/10/2007, 4:47 PM
It's because academic papers are printed in 2 columns.
Has that been shown to be more distracting on a screen than off?

Dodge
15/10/2007, 6:31 PM

(I'd argue that I get it a lot better than some of the people on Foot.ie. There's a minority there that seriously need to go out and get laid.)

adam

sigh. Should I bring your car fetish?

Each to their own and all that...

dahamsta
15/10/2007, 6:46 PM
But cars are entertainment too! :)

kingdom hoop
15/10/2007, 6:48 PM
I nearly have to print out an academic paper to be able to read it thoroughly - I'll can't focus properly on an electronic version. Conversely, I've a decent attention span

I'm the exact same as you John, I find it very hard to read anything academic on the net, and it's definitely a visual thing, unrelated to my capricious contempt for websites. I find increasing the font helps a bit sometimes, or else get your girlfriend to do the multitasking, as she claims to be great at, and read it to you as she pulls you off, nice. :p

dahamsta
15/10/2007, 7:12 PM
Lovely image there kingdom hoop, I'm sure everyone is delighted with it.

If stuff on the web is longer than a couple of pages, I have to print it out and bring it to bed with me, otherwise I scan and usally miss the point. Makes a great excuse to go to bed of course.

adam

pete
15/10/2007, 9:08 PM
If stuff on the web is longer than a couple of pages, I have to print it out and bring it to bed with me,

I am sure someone thought at some stage that computers would mean less use of paper when in fact it has multiplied exponentially.

John83
16/10/2007, 9:39 AM
I am sure someone thought at some stage that computers would mean less use of paper when in fact it has multiplied exponentially.
Any of you seen this new e-ink stuff? A friend of mine has this Sony reader (http://www.eink.com/products/matrix/High_Res.html). It's like reading paper.

dahamsta
16/10/2007, 9:55 AM
I posted my comments about them on the Book Depository blog.

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/WEBSITE/WWW/WEBPAGES/viewblogarticle.php?id=395

Must buy one sometime, see how they perform in reality.

adam

pete
16/10/2007, 11:59 AM

The real question is though who was on the grassy knoll... :o

kingdom hoop
16/10/2007, 2:52 PM

Heehee, very good contribution there! Those things look pretty nifty alright, handy to save space for travelling when you might want to bring a few books, and I often find it hard to get the right position in bed when grappling with those damned two-faced books. Excuse my snap perusal of the site, but was there any price mentioned?

John83
16/10/2007, 3:47 PM
Excuse my snap perusal of the site, but was there any price mentioned?
$235 used on Amazon.com (I don't think they'll ship electronics to Ireland, but these are third party sellers.)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000VI72YI/ref=dp_olp_0/103-7755079-0255816?ie=UTF8&condition=all

$280 direct from Sony :http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&partNumber=PRS500U2

superfrank
17/10/2007, 12:56 PM
Lovely image there kingdom hoop, I'm sure everyone is delighted with it.
I actually burst out laughing when I read it then I remembered I was in the college library. I'm still sniggering away now.

If stuff on the web is longer than a couple of pages, I have to print it out and bring it to bed with me, otherwise I scan and usally miss the point.
I always do that. Miss the point that is. I usually have to read things over two or three times, except with books or kingdom hoop's post above. I can only absorb so much information in one sitting. I'm still surprised I actually studied for the LC.

kingdom hoop
17/10/2007, 4:20 PM
$235 used on Amazon.com (I don't think they'll ship electronics to Ireland, but these are third party sellers.)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000VI72YI/ref=dp_olp_0/103-7755079-0255816?ie=UTF8&condition=all

$280 direct from Sony :http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&partNumber=PRS500U2

Good man John thanks. I'm afraid I can't justify that spending in the monthly budget just at the moment though! As ever, I'm sure the prices will plummet after a while.

CollegeTillIDie
17/10/2007, 8:18 PM
adam

You said some posters here should go out and get laid. Some of the posters couldn't even get laid in a henhouse :D

onceahoop
18/10/2007, 9:52 PM

Pete's correct about the multi-tasking. Computers let us 'do' a lot more things at once than we're actually efficient at doing.

I find it almost impossible to proof read anything on a PC. Need to print it off to be sure.

On the subject of Internet, I read in the Sunday Times last weekend where companies in America are having E-Mail free days where they have to use the telephone if they wish to contact people. Personally I feel we've lost the personal touch when dealing with people because of our almost slavish us of e-mail. We'd a major fcuk up in our place one day because a new manager sent out an urgent e-mail, but we were all too busy too read it and major embarrassment ensued. He only had to pick up the phone and it could have been avoided.

Bluebeard
22/10/2007, 10:37 AM
My guilty pleasure is anyting by the Mamas and the Papas.

What month is this again?

CollegeTillIDie
22/10/2007, 10:43 AM
Atlantic 252 used to be the radio station for people with short attention spans. The regularly played the same 6 songs every hour.