PDA

View Full Version : Oireachtas TV

kingdom hoop
12/10/2007, 2:45 PM
While pleasuring myself in one of my favourite late night indulgences, Oireachtas Report, a somewhat ironic notion was raised, that of Ireland being bestowed with a dedicated TV station exclusively broadcasting footage from Dáil and Seanad Eireann and also from Dáil Committees.

The issue arose in the context of the time-consuming and useful work of Committees being neglected, the example given was of one on suicide prevention that proffered 33 recommendations, none of which, despite some being free and easy, had been acted upon. So more exposure to such committees would likely lead to them being taken a bit more seriously, the recommendations maybe even eagerly anticipated as we watched them progress with the issue! You would also put pressure on TDs to go into the Dáil, I'd say there was about seven of them in yesterday, and then a further twelve people watching Oireachtas Report, pretty demoralising work for the conscientious TD while his counterpart is having a sleep-in after going a bit heavy on the brandy the night before. It should make politicians more accountable and active such that at election time we would know what our public representatives did and did not do over the course of their term so that we can make a more informed selection on the ballot paper.

One of the best benefits in my view is that one would have more opportunity to simply listen to some of Ireland's great minds (there are some there in the midst of the imbeciles), like last night when Michael D. Higgins spoke vociferously in favour of the notion, oozing passion and sensibility. Additionally, there is the factor of a more participatory democracy, seeing how and why decisions on our well-being are made. It would also help to glorify politics a little, motivating more youngsters to take an interest and spreading its scope beyond the traditionally family-based active interest.

Overall, it seems like a good idea with few drawbacks. It would be very cheap to broadcast so even if very few tuned in it would be worth it. I wonder if many other countries do it? Also, what are the chances of it happening, and why if not, what's the next step after debating it in the Dáil? I think there is generally quite an apathetic attitude to politics in Ireland so we should welcome something like this that would remind people that surprisingly enough a lot of thought-provoking and important work goes into running our country.

pete
12/10/2007, 3:12 PM
The Dail comes across as restrictive to the opposition - have to submit questions in advance so Minister comes back & reads prepared script. It also seems to be at best 1/4 full at best when they not on holidays. Overall the Dail would need to be seriously revamped before could make anyway interesting TV & no sitting government will change it as it protects them. I guess the only think worse than live Dail TV would be the Seannad...

onceahoop
12/10/2007, 4:42 PM
Compare the quality of debate and public speaking bewtween the Oireachtas and Prime Minister's question time in the House of commons. Afraid our Neighbours win hands down.

One good thing though. I saw the politicians who were spoofers and used nothing but cliched soundbites trying to look clever for their constituents. Those who attacked the politician rather than the policy and could offer no credible alternative. We are seriously lacking in confident public speakers who look as if they're on top of their brief.

It might improve the standard of our politicians but I doubt it.

jebus
12/10/2007, 5:42 PM
How about we put every TD, out on a remote island and watch as they kill each other off until one man is left standing (probably Liz O'Donnell) and he becomes Taoiseach? A rip off of Battle Royale I grant you, but a good idea is a good idea!

Macy
15/10/2007, 2:29 PM
The Dáil is broadcast on line, not sure about senate and committee's. Probably the reason they're not pressuring broadband enough.

In the UK, it's BBC Parliament. Perhaps it's our public service broadcaster that our ire should be directed at - a pity that the Government decided to totally fook up digital television and give them an out.

MyTown
15/10/2007, 2:58 PM
Oireachtas Report, The Week in Politics and Eircom League Weekly all broadcast when most sane and sensible TV licence holders are in their beds:D

Most weeks I'll try to catch all editions of the 3 programmes, but it's obvious anyone with political sensibility and loyalty to their local eircom league club is in an ever diminishing minority:(

Bluebeard
15/10/2007, 4:21 PM
The Dáil is broadcast on line, not sure about senate and committee's.
Why has no-one ever told me this before - I have really missed Oireachtas report since moving across the water.

No, I have. Really!

kingdom hoop
15/10/2007, 7:04 PM
It might improve the standard of our politicians but I doubt it.

In the long run you'd think it'd have to though. More immediately it should improve the standard of our political debates I would imagine, a bit like the way teams can sometimes rise to the occasion when they know it's televised and fans suddenly become interested again with the exposure.

I had no idea the Dáil was online either Bluebeard, tomorrow 2.15, I'll see you then for a delightfully raspish running commentary. :)

mypost
19/10/2007, 2:46 AM
One good thing though. It might improve the standard of our politicians but I doubt it.

It wouldn't work. Most of the debates have about 10 TD's in the chamber. That would be pretty representative of the viewing audience, methinks.

It would be good tv on days like Budget Day, where viewers could watch 3 hours of Cheapskate Cowen bellowing, and the opposition heckling, but that's already covered by RTE anyway.

onceahoop
19/10/2007, 8:15 PM
It wouldn't work. Most of the debates have about 10 TD's in the chamber. That would be pretty representative of the viewing audience, methinks.
It would be good tv on days like Budget Day, where viewers could watch 3 hours of Cheapskate Cowen bellowing, and the opposition heckling, but that's already covered by RTE anyway.

The BBC show Prime Ministers Question Time. It shows up how poor our lot are in public speaking and been seen representing their constituencies. No pontificating or long winded, sound bite led and cliched driven waffle.

I imagine watching Berties pmqt would be a right turn off all right.

superfrank
07/11/2007, 3:36 PM
Great idea. Hopefully they'd be a bit more honest then and they'd have nowhere to hide. However, it'd be a ratings disaster.

osarusan
07/11/2007, 3:40 PM
maybe merge with this thread?
http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=73337

superfrank
07/11/2007, 3:47 PM
:o Thanks.

kingdom hoop
09/11/2007, 12:23 AM
We can have this thread for reviews of Oireachtas Report too. Watching it now, just to digress for a moment, I'd like to talk about vegetables. Mushrooms are our biggest export, we don't grow half enough potatoes anymore, if you buy a spud here these days it's most likely to be Dutch. Agricultural foodstuffs are our largest indigenous export

I was dismayed to see only about five senators listening to such riveting (:)) conversations, but my heart lifted when I saw a group of young students in the viewing area.

Your correspondent,

stojkovic
01/12/2007, 2:30 PM
Its a fantastic idea.

They could call it CRIMELINE.