PDA

View Full Version : All Ireland League

Rocky
01/05/2003, 4:32 PM
What are yer views on this one?

I reckon its the way forward (if not for a while yet). There's no point in having 2 leagues in the country and teams like Linfield, Cliftonville and Glentoran would be big attractions.

whatever happened to that Northwest cup?

Pablo Escobar
01/05/2003, 9:28 PM
I put this to the Irish League supporters and they were all in favour!

UCD_4_Life
01/05/2003, 10:26 PM
It'd be good all right but it can't happen for at least another 5 years. Stewards at most eL grounds wouldn't be able to handle games with such bitter rivalries.

For instance if Linfield played Rovers there would be a lot of tension and without the right security someone could get badly hurt or even killed.

But when the structure is in place to handle it then it would surely boost attendances and media coverage.

A face
02/05/2003, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by SCOTTY II
Been there we tried to organise petition!

Pointless....period

Impossible .... you cant right it off on the strenght of an online petition.

UCD_4_Life, of course we would need to have the right security, no one for a minute suggested otherwise, And to back up your point .... it would be foolish and irresponsible of any club involved not to take proper measures.

But all that said, all the panic and hysteria over with and everyone arguing for the sake of it and all the barriers that would be put in the way, when all that is done with ... it would be worth it i reckon.

yan
02/05/2003, 8:30 AM
it could start with an All Ireland Cup, and see how that goes before joining the two leagues,

patsh
02/05/2003, 10:59 AM
Most fans on this island would welcome it, but since when do the football associations ever listen to fans??
The eL is now a summer league...which coincides rather nicely with the marching season in the 6 counties.

That one reason will stop any attempt to get this to work.