PDA

View Full Version : Alex Bruce or Gary Breen

danonion
11/10/2007, 10:24 PM
Who would you rather have along side Dunne against Germany. International retirement shouldn't be allowed

billybunter
11/10/2007, 10:49 PM
i'd have fookin steve bruce back before i'd have gary breen back.

theworm2345
11/10/2007, 11:42 PM
Please, even 6 year olds from Korea can answer this
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ykp9m_zG6K8

RiffRaff
12/10/2007, 8:33 AM
I'm still curious about the fact that Staunton announced Gary Breens retirement to the press and I dont think i read any statement from Breen on it. Just wonder if Stan told him he wouldnt be picking him again made it look better by saying he's retired.

GreenStar
12/10/2007, 12:21 PM
Personally I'd promote Darren O'Dea from the Under-21's.

drinkfeckarse
12/10/2007, 12:28 PM
But that would be too sensible. I've no doubt O'Dea is a better player than Alex Bruce although to be fair he hasn't played a lot of first team football this season so that probably came into Stan's thinking.

danonion
12/10/2007, 12:59 PM
I'm not particularly advocating Breen (although in this case, he'd be welcome in the squad) but for a country where talented players a re a limited resource, we need to hold onto players until they are of absolutely no more value.

Our ever increasing arrogance as a nation is what helps up justify discarding players. The paradigm for our team should not be England or Germany's teams, it should be the likes of Sweden, who still hold on to their players the way we used to. Teddy Lucic turned out at the 1994, 2002 and 2006 World Cups.

To go back to the Breen case, he was never pacey, he plays in the same division for a better club than Alex Bruce - why (as I assume he did) Stan retire him?

jmurphyc
12/10/2007, 1:01 PM
To go back to the Breen case, he was never pacey, he plays in the same division for a better club than Alex Bruce - why (as I assume he did) Stan retire him?

Building for the future :rolleyes:

woodie
12/10/2007, 2:16 PM
Alex Bruce might have a good game, who knows...

Priceless interview with Stan yesterday. My girlfriend thought I was winding her up that it was the real Stan!

Jerry The Saint
12/10/2007, 2:21 PM
why (as I assume he did) Stan retire him?

Jealousy:confused:

No songs about Staunton - they really should have made Breen manager (or at least team mascot) :)

theworm2345
12/10/2007, 3:55 PM
I've been saying it all along, Roy Keane said that Breen and Connolly sided with him at Saipan (which I guess he has since forgotten, though thats another story :rolleyes:) Staunton was with McCarthy, maybe that explains it (and why Connolly wasn't called up when he scored in something like 7 of the 8 games leading up to Wales and Slovakia...thats my reasoning ;))

DmanDmythDledge
13/10/2007, 2:58 PM
But that would be too sensible. I've no doubt O'Dea is a better player than Alex Bruce although to be fair he hasn't played a lot of first team football this season so that probably came into Stan's thinking.
Wasn't he on stand-by for the last squad? I doubt he'd want to call him up anyway as the U-21s have a big game against England on Tuesday.

rambler14
13/10/2007, 10:20 PM
NEITHER Alex Bruce or Breen IMO. I'd rather Stan call up Graham Gartland or Jason Gavin with Drogheda or Darren O'Dea.

bellavistaman
14/10/2007, 1:38 PM
Darren O'Dea for me, dont think Joey O'Brien is option for CB either, reserve RB for him imho.

OneRedArmy
14/10/2007, 2:37 PM
Ken Oman.

Since no one else on here seems to worry about club loyalties blinding their choice I'd give Ken a run. Should be able to make it in the Championship.

To those who are about to go on an anti-EL rant there were 3 reasons last night as to why this isn't a ridiculous suggestion.