PDA

View Full Version : Two left footed centre halves

Poor Student
10/10/2007, 8:37 PM
I've often heard it said that playing two left footed centre halves together doesn't work. What's the reasoning behind this and why does it not affect a right footed partnership? Are there any successful leftie partnerships that disprove the theory?

CollegeTillIDie
10/10/2007, 9:08 PM
It's just prejudice Poor Student :D

stojkovic
10/10/2007, 11:15 PM
I've often heard it said that playing two left footed centre halves together doesn't work. What's the reasoning behind this and why does it not affect a right footed partnership? Are there any successful leftie partnerships that disprove the theory?

Right footed players are usually two-footed - Paolo Maldini.

Left footed players usually aren't.

osarusan
11/10/2007, 2:27 AM

Any more examples? One isn't really enough, given such a high % of centre-halves, and all players, are right footed. If what you say is true, then a huge percentage of players would be able to use both feet. I don't think thats the case.

Andy Moeller was truly able to use both feet. I can't think of any others now.

noby
11/10/2007, 8:00 AM
Left-footed players are more likely to be involved in an accident whilst driving heavy machinery, so you've a greater chance of one of your centre backs being out injured. Or something.

drinkfeckarse
11/10/2007, 8:06 AM

It's nonsense and old school belief. Think about it, why should 2 left footed centre halves be any worse of a partnership than 2 right footed ones!?

Again, no offence but that's absolute rubbish. I'm left footed and have a decent right foot. I have seen right footed players who have no balance on their left foot let alone be able to kick with it and vice-versa. As with anything, it all depends on the amount of practice you put into your "wrong" foot.

stojkovic
11/10/2007, 10:35 PM
Any more examples? One isn't really enough, given such a high % of centre-halves, and all players, are right footed. If what you say is true, then a huge percentage of players would be able to use both feet. I don't think thats the case.

Andy Moeller was truly able to use both feet. I can't think of any others now.

Right footed players who played on the left - Ronnie Whelan, Andreas Brehme, Denis Irwin, Steve Heighway, Paul Merson, Dejan Savicevic, Robert Pires etc

Left footed players with no right foot - Liam Brady, Robbie Fowler, Ian Rush, Roberto Carlos, Ryan Giggs, Andy Reid, Diego Maradona etc

I have coached teams for years from 6yo upwards and it is a thousand times easier to improve a right-footed players weaker foot than a left-footed player.
Don't want to get too technical but its something to do with the cerebral hemisphere of the brain. Maybe someone with more knowledge of the brain can explain.

In the middle ages, left-handed people were burned at the stake.:eek:

Dodge
11/10/2007, 11:00 PM

Sweet ****ing jesus...

John83
12/10/2007, 3:21 PM
It's nonsense and old school belief. Think about it, why should 2 left footed centre halves be any worse of a partnership than 2 right footed ones!?
Not exactly so simple. It's possible that left footed defenders struggle more with right footed attackers, who they'd face far more often.

I'm a little dubious, though stojkovic's anecdote rings true.

John83
12/10/2007, 3:30 PM
Off-topic, but interesting:
The economic consequences of being left-handed : some sinister results (http://www.ifs.org.uk/wps/wp0607.pdf)

Bluebeard
15/10/2007, 4:17 PM

Whatever about on the football field, it's got to be a suicidal ploy in competitive dancing.

Poor Student
15/10/2007, 7:04 PM
Off-topic, but interesting:
The economic consequences of being left-handed : some sinister results (http://www.ifs.org.uk/wps/wp0607.pdf)

Thanks John, as a left hander that was an intriguing read.