PDA

View Full Version : Cook at the Crossroads: Today's Champion

Pages : [1] 2

red bellied
10/10/2007, 7:09 PM
The manager wants more support from the business community and fans coming through the gates if he is to stay at the Showgrounds. Cook is fully behind the MC but he believes it is up to the people of Sligo and surrounding areas if they want the club to go foward.

He goes on to say more money is needed to compete with the likes of Drogheda and Pats. The current squad isnt big enough and mentions what would be the sceaniro if Faz got injured. He loves working and living in Sligo and doesnt want to manage any other side. Plus he wants to win the league with Rovers! But it all boils down to the point of more support through the turnstiles and business committments. Also he was very disappointed about the Turner and Hughes situation. Wants to avoid this by handing players longer contracts.

Cook and Carr will discuss the situation at the end of the season before deciding their future.

General summary from today's paper.

gustavo
10/10/2007, 7:16 PM
Also he said that Hughes is 90% likely to leave .

red arrow
10/10/2007, 8:15 PM
after reading the sligo champion this evening i am saddened but still excited because i know we potentially have one of the best managers in years. it was a joy to read his open honesty nad if we lose this guy the people of sligo should be ashamed of themselves. he spells it out in no uncertain terms what is required. he can bring us to great heights but we need finance look what he has done already with a squad that was in turmoil. raising finance for next season should start now as i have said before i have always helped out and contributed to the club and will continue to do so but we need financial commitment to back the manager. i know we have some great supporters and many of them are in there teens and early 20's etc. a lot of them may not have the connections to bring in big financial help (no disrespect) but they can still be of great value to the club and that is by passing on paul cookes message to their bosses or workplace or where they feel financial help may be forthcomming. in other words tell people to read paul cookes article in the champion. we need to keep this plea alive over the next couple of months.keep focused on the target and the positive results will be your reward.

feo123
10/10/2007, 9:39 PM
the MC are doing their best...i just don't know if its good enough at this level. don't think its their fault some of the things that happened

feo123
10/10/2007, 9:51 PM
Look no offence FEO but nobody is blaming anybody that i can see. But i would hate to be a supporter of a club than the people involved with(And i am talking about the fans as well) just sat on their hands god lets have a go ffs. Give us a plan plaster the jersey with sponsors i see was it Derry had 2 or 3 Sponsors on their shirt.

I remember one year they went to businesses and the had a raffle for the main sponsor, second was on the back of the jersey, F**k it we could plaster the jersey and short with sponsors. Players Sponsors could bring in 15k you bloody could sell the name of the stand, the name of the ground or even the name of the bloody team. I'd rather have a go and fail than not have a go at all.

no ones having a go at them i know...was just saying like

sligoman
10/10/2007, 9:57 PM
even the name of the bloody team.I can see it now, Rogue Trader's Army:o :D.

SligoBrewer
10/10/2007, 9:58 PM
Look no offence FEO but nobody is blaming anybody that i can see. But i would hate to be a supporter of a club that the people involved with(And i am talking about the fans as well) just sat on their hands god lets have a go ffs. Give us a plan plaster the jersey with sponsors i see was it Derry had 2 or 3 Sponsors on their shirt.

I remember one year they went to businesses and the had a raffle for the main sponsor, second was on the back of the jersey, F**k it we could plaster the jersey and short with sponsors. Players Sponsors could bring in 15k you bloody could sell the name of the stand, the name of the ground or even the name of the bloody team. I'd rather have a go and fail than not have a go at all.

Was thinking that myself over the weekend. sleeves, bottom the back of the shirt etc..

Have a look at a Cork City shirt, 5 sponsors on the one I have, we only have 2 atm

clubman
10/10/2007, 10:08 PM
Was thinking that myself over the weekend. sleeves, bottom the back of the shirt etc..

Have a look at a Cork City shirt, 5 sponsors on the one I have, we only have 2 atm

Bring the businesses forward with their money and the logos will be displayed on the jerseys. Are the businesses interested. Are the businesses in existance in the region and willing to hand out the loot?
I don't think so - prove me wrong!

DRDoc
11/10/2007, 12:04 AM
There are lots of big companys in the region - MBNA near by - Radisson Hotel nearby - Yeats hotel

A lot of the banks all have regional centres in the town

Bank Of America have offices in the town also?

Local broadband providers

All potential major sponsers and thats just of the top of my head companies with large ad/marketing budgets

Scholarship scheme with the IT

Maybe special deals with local junior and senior football teams - reduced admission prices, players taking a few train ing sessions - this guys are into football already - get them into Rovers

I dont know how sligo and derry compare in terms of population etc but i think there are plenty of people in the town and county to support a team

DRDoc
11/10/2007, 2:57 AM
If it were my decision I would involve Cook in looking for sponsorship

The man is a bit of an optimist I think - thats important

He is very likeable also - seems like a decent guy

He also is the public face of the club more than anyone else

and he has without a doubt a passion about him that people will react to

Ronnie
11/10/2007, 12:48 PM
Its about money lads, nothing else. Keeping your best players, if they are wanted by the clubs with money, means players on 100k to 150k pa. A full time quality sqaud would need Sligo turning over 2million a year - 40k every week, is that realistic in Sligo?

Only1Rovers
11/10/2007, 3:32 PM
interesting interview coming up at 5 on Ocean sports news.

sligoman
11/10/2007, 3:47 PM
There are lots of big companys in the region - MBNA near by

Bank Of America have offices in the town also?MBNA is Bank of America. I honestly can't see them being interested in getting involved with Rovers.

clubman
11/10/2007, 6:40 PM
There are lots of big companys in the region - MBNA near by - Radisson Hotel nearby - Yeats hotel

A lot of the banks all have regional centres in the town

Bank Of America have offices in the town also?

Local broadband providers

All potential major sponsers and thats just of the top of my head companies with large ad/marketing budgets

Scholarship scheme with the IT

Maybe special deals with local junior and senior football teams - reduced admission prices, players taking a few train ing sessions - this guys are into football already - get them into Rovers

I dont know how sligo and derry compare in terms of population etc but i think there are plenty of people in the town and county to support a team

The list is endless and thats only from the tip of my tongue.
Let's face it lads, do you not think the management committee of Rovers have not already chased up all these avenues? Companies don't hand out money willie-dilly. All the major banks have branches in Sligo but when you go looking for sponsorship the branch manager can't give an answer he has to contact head office and have a guess what they say. Something along the lines 'who the fuke is Sligo Rovers'. The same goes for the new businesses that come into town via the shopping centre. Head office has to be contacted and low and behold 'who the F@@@@@ .... '
It has all being tried and tested it's just not there.
The one avenue where there's a possible opening is the car park idea. Sligo Corporation are looking for car park spaces and now with the Fairgreen idea is dead in the water I think it's time the Showgrounds was stuck under the noses of the local politicians. Anyone on here that knows or knows of a local representative should be in their ear. It would be worth a few hundred grand to the club and a great means of solving a problem. With the Christmas shoppers just ready to hit Sligo it's time to get the car park up and running.

sligoman
11/10/2007, 6:48 PM
Has anyone contacted the club to see if they're considering/have thought about the car park idea?

red bellied
11/10/2007, 7:40 PM
I reckon a good way to go would be to bring in an outside consultant to point the club in the right direction. Something like Genesis did with FAI. Probably cost a whack for consultancy fees but something needs to be done.

clubman
11/10/2007, 10:35 PM
I know a man very well who is a season ticket holder and had/has his own small company is the centre of the town, who told me he was not once tackled for any form of sposorship, this guy would have been prime to tackle but when your letting him go then surely he is not the only one.

I have been around the Rovers scene a long time and believe me I've heard all the stories, I guess you could say I'm akin to the guy on the advert on telly for the TV license inspector. I've heard all the excuses but none of them work.
A good number of years ago I remember having a heated conversation with a local businessman, today he's a very wealthy local businessman, on the topic of SRFC. This guy is an ardent fan of the Bit O' Red. At the time I wondered and asked him why he never rowed in behind the club to help them financially or by whatever means. He told me that he had a cheque made out to Rovers for a 'substancial' amount and he would hand the cheque over when the time is right. As I say it is a good number of years ago. Rovers have won the FAI Cup twice, the League Cup, the Shield and two First Division Championships and this very wealthy businessman hasn't yet handed over the cheque. I guess the time isn't right just yet.
The moral of the story RT is this - Talk is cheap, anyone can say there are willing to help but the work wont get done by talk alone. It's the people that roll their sleves up and get on with it that we should be thankful for. Promises are not the reason Sligo Rovers Football Club is 80 years in existance next year. Just something for you to think about next time you chat with your season ticket holder friend.

Kivlehan
12/10/2007, 5:17 AM
I apologize in advance for my ignorance of the local area but have all of the stores in the Quayside Shopping Centre been contacted about sponsorship of some kind?

http://www.quayside.ie//html/directory.html

Seems to be located fairly near the Showgrounds based on Google Maps.

Are there other shopping centers like this?

In the area in which I live (in the USA), there is a local minor league baseball team just starting up this coming year and I received a phone call from them pitching my company on various sponsorship opportunities as well as season ticket packages which they offered as a good to bring clients to for entertainment. I believe they called every single business in the area, which granted it quite a bit larger than Sligo (200K population) and they are getting enormous support from the business community (not us though, not a good fit for our business model). The person doing the calling may have been an unpaid marketing intern.

Out of curiosity, how profitable was the Bray match? Reports I read on here had the crowd at 2x what most other matches got. When the cost of doing the promotion was factored in, was the bottom line better than from the average gate?

MervilleUnited
12/10/2007, 11:40 AM
I would think, based on talking to some of the members of Chamber of Commerce, that if anything, the MC have haunted the local area looking for Sponsorship. Our catchment area is small, compared with the big urban areas to the east and south, and in fairness ex GAA players dominate business in the North West, not to mention Rugby. So I think saturation level has been reached. I have been told many times that "Rovers were in last week" when looking for sponsorship for our club. Difficult when we are keeping 200+ kids off the streets! But Rovers is what every one of them aspire to.

Heres an idea though considering its 80 years of Rovers next year. I seem to remember a Jersey, that had all former players on it, in small font, but there neverthless. if it was white, with red lettering, it would look like a light red, (A bit O'Red:D) Now if a 1000 supporters were to buy a space on the jersey, for thier name, at a 100e a pop, thats 100k. And forever your name would be associated with the club, and for a season is on the backs of the players you support!

And would be a fantastic Xmas Gift. Ask the champion to make up a certificate, FOC, and bobs your uncle. Bit of Kudos down the pub, especially if your name was around the crest!

Just a thought, for what its worth!

neutrino
12/10/2007, 12:17 PM
Heres an idea though considering its 80 years of Rovers next year. I seem to remember a Jersey, that had all former players on it, in small font, but there neverthless. if it was white, with red lettering, it would look like a light red, (A bit O'Red:D) Now if a 1000 supporters were to buy a space on the jersey, for thier name, at a 100e a pop, thats 100k. And forever your name would be associated with the club, and for a season is on the backs of the players you support!

And would be a fantastic Xmas Gift. Ask the champion to make up a certificate, FOC, and bobs your uncle. Bit of Kudos down the pub, especially if your name was around the crest!

Just a thought, for what its worth!

that's a very good idea MU.

I think the MC have done the very best they can given the capabilities and voluntary nature of the setup. Surely now is the time to bring in someone on a full-time basis to try move the club forward - is this not part of what the structure under licencing is supposed to be anyway. It would be an awful pity to lose Cook, but I suppose he just wants to move to the next level and not continually have to punch above our weight !!

sligoman
12/10/2007, 1:13 PM
Surely now is the time to bring in someone on a full-time basis to try move the club forwardWe have, her name is Sinead Fraher. It's her job to make Rovers more part of the community and imo, she clearly hasn't done that.

akearins
12/10/2007, 3:30 PM
We are probably the only ground in the League who
1.Own their ground and
2.Actually have space to develop it.

At present the club will not even entertain the idea of a club/social area for fans, which is a definite revenue stream to exploit not only on match days but durung the week.
Why there is not one is mindboggling to all except the powers that be.
If they are afraid of taking a loss or too much work to man then draw up a lease and open to tender to local publicans.
One stipulation may be a set season rental cost therefore not dependent on gate size and still returning maximum income to the club.
No more renting facilities for meetings, hold after match receptions, fund raisers,AGM.s etc.

How much do we spend on hiring buses each season?
Why not buy our own?

By owning a club coach it would not eradicate match day traveling costs which exceed €15000 per anum.During the week the bus may be used for school runs.Also a lot of local sporting clubs are also struggling financially so wouldnt it be great if Sligo Rovers F.C would provide a cheaper option for travel for them.This would inevetibly have a positive knock on effect for the club as it helps the local community.
Which is after all what we should be looking to do as an established entity in Sligo.

Handle our own merchandise?
Club really needs to go to tender on merchandise each season and handle it directly.Now this is no sligght on Jako who have been good to us and vice versa but by going to tender teh CLUB will get the best deal and therefore the club will increase revenue.
Case in point- Derry deal direct with UMBRO.Buy a jersey for £20.Sell to local shops for £40(100% profit)

Promote games better!
Seriously needs to be looked at.Trust are at present working to help in this area and hopefully next season will come to fruition.

All weather pitch coffee dock!

What do parents do when drop kids off for an hour, more than likely head to town maybe grab a coffee.Why not let them wait on kids in grounds and get a coffee, sandwitch etc. instead of having to head to town try and get parking, stuck in traffic and leave again with little or no time to do anything.
Loads of time to chill if refreshment available at hand once kids dropped off.

many more ideas but hand getting tired now.......

biscuit
12/10/2007, 3:55 PM
great idea for the bus in fair ness alan...they could get one at a great price from someone like colm burns etcc which in turn the company (burns etc) can look on as sponsership. I'm sure youd also get a driver who supports the club to drive to away games, or at least get one at a good rate.
I also like the 1000 names on the jersey idea too merville, that is a really feasible thing to do, and 100k or a figuyre like it would be a massive bonus. Youd get 1000 signatures easy i'm sure....

Rovers fan
12/10/2007, 6:09 PM
somebody should get a list of these ideas and give them to somebody who can do something about it because at the moment very little is being done

MervilleUnited
12/10/2007, 7:41 PM
All weather pitch coffee dock!

What do parents do when drop kids off for an hour, more than likely head to town maybe grab a coffee.Why not let them wait on kids in grounds and get a coffee, sandwitch etc. instead of having to head to town try and get parking, stuck in traffic and leave again with little or no time to do anything.
Loads of time to chill if refreshment available at hand once kids dropped off.

many more ideas but hand getting tired now.......

As a person who brings in 90 Kids every friday night, that is indeed an idea. A lot of parents would stay to watch the little darlings from the comfort of a warm spot!:D:D Or at the very least with a coffee in thier hand!

And I have said it before, why dont the club lease one of these pubs that are lying idle, such as Cavanaghs, and run it as the OFFICIAL Rovers Bar, with a few bob per ale going directly to Rovers! (Although I cannot see myself drinking that red ale beer stuff:D) With footie on seven nights a week, and a bit of thought with regard to Placing plasmas in different zones so you can watch AND listen to the game in different areas of the pub, it could become a decent sports bar (And serving grub/coffee during the day) which Sligo really needs. Close to the bookies as well!

End of rant!

Terry
13/10/2007, 8:40 AM
Well actually he did contact you lot to give in some sposorship after, nothing major or anything. But what i am saying he was willing but you know yourself most fellas don't come forward themselves they need a little push from somebody and that is the sad reality, some require a greater push and this is why i think if we could come up with a package it may entice local firms out.

Not having a go or anything RT, but why didnt you bring this to the attention of someone at the time rather than bringing it up now? Or even, why didnt you get something out of him yourself since ye know each other and donate it in his name?

This is Sligos major problem in my eyes, a lot of talk and not enough hands for the job. Ye have to get up and go rather than sitting at the drawing board constantly. I have talked a few times to Alan Kerins over the past few years and they (BORST) always had the plans but not enough volunteers to get them in motion. Maybe posters here could help them out if they arent in the trust already?

One last thing RT, why do you call Sligo Rovers members/volunteers "you Lot"? Very strange?

redrov2005
13/10/2007, 10:28 AM
As a person who brings in 90 Kids every friday night, that is indeed an idea. A lot of parents would stay to watch the little darlings from the comfort of a warm spot!:D:D Or at the very least with a coffee in thier hand!

And I have said it before, why dont the club lease one of these pubs that are lying idle, such as Cavanaghs, and run it as the OFFICIAL Rovers Bar, with a few bob per ale going directly to Rovers! (Although I cannot see myself drinking that red ale beer stuff:D) With footie on seven nights a week, and a bit of thought with regard to Placing plasmas in different zones so you can watch AND listen to the game in different areas of the pub, it could become a decent sports bar (And serving grub/coffee during the day) which Sligo really needs. Close to the bookies as well!

End of rant!

Agree totally. There is revenue there which is been just being ignored. I said it before that with the astro turf pitch etc there should be a decent bar so that lads can go and sit down and have a drink and a chat afterwards.

A coffeee bar should also be part of it with a shop available particualrly for nights when Rovers are playing rather than having a mill around a wooden shed. The merchandise shop could also be in this clubhouse along with meeting rooms etc.

How much do Galway/Drogheda/ Bohs make from their bars on match nights ?

It would be interesting to know.

Terry
13/10/2007, 6:06 PM
Terry have you been drinking heavily ? If read that again and you will see i did !

DOnt know what your are saying there RT but I have re-read the post and I am sticking to the questions you didnt answer !!:confused:

Terry
13/10/2007, 6:07 PM
How much do Galway/Drogheda/ Bohs make from their bars on match nights ?

It would be interesting to know.

We dont have a bar in terryland so €0,000 !!!!

Knappagh Red
13/10/2007, 9:37 PM
Bars are closing all over the country. There are a few bars in Sligo that are vacant because there is no business anymore. The time for a club bar was 30 years ago, Irish society has changed dramatically in the last ten years, people are more likely to be going to the lesiure center than the pub.

clubman
13/10/2007, 10:52 PM
Bars are closing all over the country. There are a few bars in Sligo that are vacant because there is no business anymore. The time for a club bar was 30 years ago, Irish society has changed dramatically in the last ten years, people are more likely to be going to the lesiure center than the pub.

Well said Knappagh Red.
Anyone that knows anything about the drinks industry knows it's gone down the pan like the last bad pint. A clubhouse might be good on match nights but there are 13 more nights until the next game. It's not a runner as simple as that.

The bus idea too imo is a non-runner. The cost alone would be a huge anchor round the clubs already tightly squeezed neck. Talk of using it for school runs during the week is daft as well, what happens when Rovers are playing away on Fridays which is every second week, do you suggest the kids walk to and from school that particular day?

Kivlehan
13/10/2007, 11:07 PM
I would think, based on talking to some of the members of Chamber of Commerce, that if anything, the MC have haunted the local area looking for Sponsorship.

Perhaps their sales pitch needs work then? If you have something of value to sell (sponsorship) to people who could use it (businesses) but you can't convince them to go ahead and do it, your sales pitch could be the problem.

What do businesses want that they can get from sponsoring Sligo Rovers?

avvenalaf
14/10/2007, 8:50 PM
Gustavo, when you're finished can you come round and tidy up our gaff?

akearins
15/10/2007, 8:33 AM
The bus idea too imo is a non-runner. The cost alone would be a huge anchor round the clubs already tightly squeezed neck

The idea behind the bus would that maybe the supporters involved with North,South Sligo.Dublin supporters club and Trust would actually assist with the payment of a bus.If each donated €5000 per anum thats €20,000.
Over say 5 years thats €100,000.This would exclude whatever money would come in from bus rental.The €20,000 each year donated by supporters bodies would cover cost so no anchor on club.

sligoman
15/10/2007, 11:44 AM
Trust would actually assist with the payment of a busTrust might wanna get money for a website (http://www.thebitored.org/) first before paying for buses;) This domain name expired on Oct 12, 2007:D.

Rory H
15/10/2007, 11:55 AM
how dare we give money to the club before ourselves....have to stop being so selfish! the new website is on the way

redrov2005
15/10/2007, 12:20 PM

Even if the bar only made money on match nights wouldn't that help ?

And again i am not talking about just a bar. You would include in it a gym (which the players could use) and a leisure centre with indoor 5 aside, meeting rooms etc.

Have to start coming up with ways of the club generating money. Anyone from Drogheda,Dundalk,Kildare County or Bohs got any idea how much their bar makes on match nights alone ?

neutrino
15/10/2007, 12:28 PM
We have, her name is Sinead Fraher. It's her job to make Rovers more part of the community and imo, she clearly hasn't done that.

I meant at a higher level - a full-time General Manager type.

Ronnie
15/10/2007, 12:59 PM
The bus idea too imo is a non-runner. The cost alone would be a huge anchor round the clubs already tightly squeezed neck

The idea behind the bus would that maybe the supporters involved with North,South Sligo.Dublin supporters club and Trust would actually assist with the payment of a bus.If each donated €5000 per anum thats €20,000.
Over say 5 years thats €100,000.This would exclude whatever money would come in from bus rental.The €20,000 each year donated by supporters bodies would cover cost so no anchor on club.

As regards bus, don't be mental - drivers, insurance etc etc. On the other hand if you could sponsor the costs of away trips, eg 20 games at 1500, now your making a difference

Redzer
15/10/2007, 1:02 PM
[B]
I dont know Alan, but I would guess that with the insurance cost for public liability etc, the bus would need to be on the road every day.
Most bus companies have a fleet so I dont think one bus would be viable. You would need 2 drivers, one for days and one for nights. I cant see the benifit of Rovers owning their own bus. Insurance, repairs, maintenance, drivers costs, fuel etc could cost a small fortune.
I dont know of any club who owns their own bus.

akearins
15/10/2007, 1:39 PM
Jees lads wer not that naive we realise that owning a bus would involve costs as mentioned, but until the avenue is fully explored in relation to costs drivers etc. it cant be knocked....

As for website, the trust is in the process of creating a new one, we have bought the .com domain name www.thebitored.com

Funny how no matter what you say or do someone on the forum will always try and criticise no matter what.....while hiding behind their aliases

sligoman
15/10/2007, 3:38 PM
Funny how no matter what you say or do someone on the forum will always try and criticise no matter what.....while hiding behind their aliasesWhy what did you say or do that makes you deserve no criticism?:confused: and by the way, I wasn't actually criticising ye, just letting ye know that the website domain had expired, forgive me:rolleyes:. Also, most people here know who I am so I'm not exactly hiding either.

Mr A
15/10/2007, 3:54 PM
Wexford Youths own their own bus.

clubman
15/10/2007, 4:11 PM
Funny how no matter what you say or do someone on the forum will always try and criticise no matter what.....while hiding behind their aliases

I don't think haivng a different opinion is actually criticism. Everyone has an opinion on most things and they have a right to voice it. When people disagree it has to be accepted as a fact of life.

Guts&Glory
15/10/2007, 5:03 PM
From talking to clubs around the country previously that have clubhouses with bars they just about break even on average.

They said that whilst you will get a hardcore usual group of lads in them before, during and after matches as well as on big match nights on TV it isn't exactly the place the missus or Gf's want to stay for a night out on the town.

Also when the season is finishes/winds down say from Oct/Nov time there is a serious fall off in attendance and income especially when you consider lads are training twice a week with their junior clubs also.

Definately think indoor footie or hall as well as gym facilities is the future for income for clubs rather than pubs/bars.

Red Army
15/10/2007, 7:02 PM
From talking to clubs around the country previously that have clubhouses with bars they just about break even on average.

They said that whilst you will get a hardcore usual group of lads in them before, during and after matches as well as on big match nights on TV it isn't exactly the place the missus or Gf's want to stay for a night out on the town.

Also when the season is finishes/winds down say from Oct/Nov time there is a serious fall off in attendance and income especially when you consider lads are training twice a week with their junior clubs also.

Definately think indoor footie or hall as well as gym facilities is the future for income for clubs rather than pubs/bars.
Also a lot of Rovers income comes from lotto sales in pubs around town don't think they would let us sell lotto tickets if we were taking their trade away with our own bar

akearins
16/10/2007, 8:16 AM
Ok lads anyone interested in getting these ideas down on paper and presenting to the club?
If so why not call down to the next Trust meeting next Tuesday and we may be able to discuss these........not much use on a forum

Look forward to seeing ye then

Redzer
16/10/2007, 9:32 AM
Jees lads wer not that naive we realise that owning a bus would involve costs as mentioned, but until the avenue is fully explored in relation to costs drivers etc. it cant be knocked....

As for website, the trust is in the process of creating a new one, we have bought the .com domain name www.thebitored.com

Maybe if some costing were done to show that it’s viable, it might not seem such a hare brained idea.
But for my money, if as you say the supporters clubs can come up with €20 grand a year. That’s the sort of money that will keep our captain at the club. That imo is where the money should go, and build a team around him, instead of starting all over again with some unknown.
Having a different opinion is part and parcel of life. There’s no need to be so tetchy.

Magicme
16/10/2007, 10:01 AM
In relation to bars in clubs, our bar isnt open during the week, only for match days and for private functions. That said, private functions bring in great revenue. Over the last few weeks there has been a party of some description every saturday and next weekend there are functions on both friday and saturday night. Without this income we would be in trouble.

I do agree tho a gym or astro parks are a good way to bring in revenue too. When our new development is complete we will have a full sized flood lit astro pitch, a futsal hall and gym with other facilities such as a classroom, UEFA standard dressing rooms etc and whilst this is all part of the FAI Regional Development Centre, I am sure, as it is on our land and we will own it, that there are some revenue possibilites there.

You have good space around the Showgrounds and think that you would have the potential to develop some money spinners.

MervilleUnited
16/10/2007, 2:56 PM
In relation to bars in clubs, our bar isnt open during the week, only for match days and for private functions. That said, private functions bring in great revenue. Over the last few weeks there has been a party of some description every saturday and next weekend there are functions on both friday and saturday night. Without this income we would be in trouble.

I do agree tho a gym or astro parks are a good way to bring in revenue too. When our new development is complete we will have a full sized flood lit astro pitch, a futsal hall and gym with other facilities such as a classroom, UEFA standard dressing rooms etc and whilst this is all part of the FAI Regional Development Centre, I am sure, as it is on our land and we will own it, that there are some revenue possibilites there.

You have good space around the Showgrounds and think that you would have the potential to develop some money spinners.

The Futsal Hall Idea is one that the North West Needs, as the majority of indoor venues are too small for the game, which also could be used for Olympic handball, as the same dimensions apply. A couple more 7 a side astra pitches would also be an idea to fit in with the new Ireland mentioned in earlier posts ;)

As for the Pub, agree that the trade is dying. But personally, I think that it needs to be repositioned in the overall theme of things. The Sports Bar Idea is one that no publican has really looked seriously at, and the Cafe Bar Culture is also worth a look. Also, it could provide employment for the players who may be recruited on a part time basis, as the current senario cannot continue. The facts are that Rovers do not turn over enough cash to dine at the top table of football, and reside in a small area in terms of sponsorship. With a million other things to do, the "Floating Supporter" comes out once or twice a year, and spends the rest of the time elsewhere. unless other revenue streams can be found, its back to part time for the majority of our our players.