PDA

View Full Version : Georgia - Russia

Schumi
30/04/2003, 3:51 PM
Gerogia are 1-0 up on Russia at half time! :)

colster
30/04/2003, 4:20 PM
Great if it finishes like that.
Ireland would have 2nd place in their own hands then.

bitored
30/04/2003, 4:59 PM
RESULT!
Good news for Ireland (even though it leaves us bottom - temporarily)

Seanie
30/04/2003, 6:11 PM
Here's an interesting one.

Do you remember that that game was abandoned orginally back in October. Well I had Georgia as part of a 13/1 double back then and I have found the slip - Cashmans better pay me out for my patience!!!

James
30/04/2003, 6:50 PM
breaking news has a report (http://www.breakingnews.ie/2003/04/30/story97305.html)

Match Report
Georgia 1 Russia 0

Georgia hauled themselves back into contention for a place in the Euro 2004 finals in Portugal – and did the Republic of Ireland a favour – with a hard-earned 1-0 victory over Russia in Tbilisi.

An 11th-minute strike from Malkhaz Asatiani was enough for caretaker-coach Ivo Susak in his first match in charge, as Russia went down to a second successive defeat following their surprise 3-1 reverse in Albania, missing out on the chance to rise to the top of the standings.

The result improves the qualification prospects for the Irish, who kicked off their campaign with two defeats but are now just two points behind the second-placed Russians with the same number of games played.

This match was being replayed after floodlight failure in the original fixture on October 12 last year ended the contest in the 40th minute with the score goalless.

The Lokomotivi stadium was only half full after it was decided that 11,000 ticket holders from the original match should be allowed in, despite a UEFA ruling that the game was supposed to be played behind closed doors.

UEFA made the ruling after a pen-knife was thrown at Irish winger Kevin Kilbane in their Euro 2004 qualifier at the same venue in March.

The Georgians weathered an early storm from the visitors and edged ahead when Giorgi Demetradze’s teasing cross was headed home at the far post by Asatiani.

Susak, who was taking charge of his first match at the helm following the resignation of predecessor Alexander Chivadze, was understandably delighted with the result.

“That is a historic victory and I am the happiest man,” said the Croatian coach.

pineapple stu
30/04/2003, 9:53 PM
Originally posted by bitored
Good news for Ireland (even though it leaves us bottom - temporarily)

We're only joint bottom - and ahead of Georgia on goal difference.

Only two points off the Ruskies now though! And with 3 home games to come...:)

pete
01/05/2003, 11:30 AM
Switzerland still have to be favourites to top the group but Ireland now better placed that Russia to get a playoff spot at least.

We lose in Russia - 3 points behind Russia.
Russia lost in Albania while we drew - 1 point back.
Russia lost in Georgia while we won - 3 points back.
If Russia can be held to a draw at home by Switzerland we be effectively equal on points with Russia still to play at Landsdowne.

Dodge
01/05/2003, 12:51 PM
The good thing about this group is that there isn't an absolute top team (Unlike the last group with Holland and Portugal) We could easily win all our remaining games and if we do, we'll finish first as neither Russia or Switzrland are unbeatable and both Georgia and Albania will fancy their chances. I'm not saying we will win all those games but we have a definite chance

Dodge
01/05/2003, 12:58 PM
Republic of Ireland - Albania HOME
Switzerland - Russia DRAW
Republic of Ireland - Georgia HOME
Switzerland - Albania HOME
Republic of Ireland - Russia HOME
Georgia - Albania HOME
Russia - Switzerland HOME
Albania - Georgia HOME
Russia - Georgia HOME
Switzerland - Republic of Ireland DRAW