PDA

View Full Version : Whats this all about?

Tir Oilean
10/10/2007, 1:26 PM
http://www.eleven-a-side.com/eircomleague/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=29587

Just wondering what people think about this?

If the link doesnt work its in the main Eircom League forum

corbyeire
10/10/2007, 1:52 PM
it says a lot when galway are part of the sextet - mind you i dont know about if losing the wage cap is the way to go - have they learned nothing of shels???

Tir Oilean
10/10/2007, 2:32 PM
Im not sure if I have this right but I think their main problem is that not all incomes into the club are counted as part of the turnover or something like that which would hold these clubs back from improving theirs squads.?????

gufct
10/10/2007, 3:11 PM
The main problem is Pats and Droheda being bankrolled by developers. The wage cap has to work or else were back to square one with clubs paying wages they cant afford.

The FAI still hasnt raised the image of the league or put together a viable Commercial and marketing plan with a properly funded TV deal.

Mr A
10/10/2007, 3:21 PM
The main problem is Pats and Droheda being bankrolled by developers. The wage cap has to work or else were back to square one with clubs paying wages they cant afford.

So why are GU part of a group opposing it? Surely that's totally against GU's interests?

gufct
10/10/2007, 4:52 PM
First I heard of it was in todays Star and im involved with the club.

Conor H
10/10/2007, 5:51 PM
First I heard of it was in todays Star and im involved with the club.

...and?

pixiehead
10/10/2007, 7:51 PM

The FAI still hasnt raised the image of the league or put together a viable Commercial and marketing plan with a properly funded TV deal.

Here, Here!!! Absolutley nothing done. We are still in square one

Tir Oilean
10/10/2007, 9:57 PM
I think the club needs to make a statement to clarify its reasons for the participation in the so-called "Super Six". I presume the piece in the Star was not a leak? Galway United are not in the same cateogory as Drogs and Pats so I think we should know what the reasons for this involvement are. Im sure there is a very good reason(s) for it, its just that reading it in the Star is never goin to inform us of the full story.

gufcfan
11/10/2007, 9:31 PM
I sincerely hope that we are not involved in this purely because they are getting notions of themselves seeing as the club made a small profit this season.

Tir Oilean
12/10/2007, 8:12 AM
I sincerely hope that we are not involved in this purely because they are getting notions of themselves seeing as the club made a small profit this season.

Absolutely not! The people running our club would only be doin this if they think its the right approach. And in all fairness they have done nothing wrong since taking over the running of the club.

gufcfan
13/10/2007, 7:00 PM
Absolutely not! The people running our club would only be doin this if they think its the right approach. And in all fairness they have done nothing wrong since taking over the running of the club.

I meant that remark as a joke! People here should know by now not to take me seriously. Nobody else does.

Terry
13/10/2007, 7:09 PM
I meant that remark as a joke! People here should know by now not to take me seriously. Nobody else does.

and should we take that post seriously ? ;)

gufcfan
13/10/2007, 11:50 PM
and should we take that post seriously ? ;)

No...

exiled_gufc_fan
15/10/2007, 1:12 PM
Nick Leeson was interviewed about this in the Sunday Business Post yesterday:

Leeson criticises FAI over plan to curb player salaries
14 October 2007 By Richard Curran
Nick Leeson, the former rogue trader and chief executive of Galway United football club, has criticised plans by the Football Association of Ireland (FAI) to limit the amount of money that clubs can spend on player salaries, saying they do not go far enough.

Rest of the article is here (http://www.sbpost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=IRELAND-qqqm=news-qqqid=27426-qqqx=1.asp)

Mr A
15/10/2007, 1:42 PM
Now that makes sense- fair play to Leeson for his stance on this, if properly implemented the wage cap could level the playing field substantially and reduce the penalties that clubs incur for running themselves in a prudent manner.

Tir Oilean
15/10/2007, 1:47 PM
No prizes for guessing who is paying 161% of their revenue in wages! This 65% rule would mean that certain clubs would be shedding players wholesale for next season. Anyone know if we are over the 65% rule at the moment. I certainly hope not considering the season we have had. It does make sense to include all staff within the 65% rule though. Im glad that this has been explained properly.

gufct
15/10/2007, 2:12 PM
we are well below the 65% and thats why i was slightly shocked to see ourselves being named in the super six an idea which is being promoted by the Drogs.

Tir Oilean
15/10/2007, 6:35 PM
I thought this was the case alright. Maybe we have really big plans for next year so ,all things goin well.

GuisaSaigon
16/10/2007, 8:53 AM
No prizes for guessing who is paying 161% of their revenue in wages!
Yeah, The Magic Mons will find it difficult to adjust next season!:rolleyes:

Magicme
16/10/2007, 9:16 AM
Indeed we will, we will have to beg Dundalk to come in and take some of our best players from us. We might even have to give them money to take them off our hands!

gufct
16/10/2007, 10:23 AM
i see the gang of six has become 5 plus wexford youths!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!