PDA

View Full Version : New Ireland U23 team!

Shelsman
10/10/2007, 12:41 PM
Lads,
Take a look:

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/boysingreen/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=29516

What do you think? Sounds like a good idea to me, especially as there are so many other nations interested too. Presumably Devo can forget about the 'B' team now that he did such a fabulous job of .... :mad:

Presumably Fenlon will be found out ( again ). More 4-5-1 longball / inferiority complex I'd say.

TheBoss
10/10/2007, 1:15 PM
A very good idea, could help the players in the league hugely.

Pablo
10/10/2007, 2:11 PM
Fenlon as manager...........Oh dear. Doomed to failure from the start!

ofjames
10/10/2007, 6:42 PM
arent olympic football teams u-23's? could this idea be targeted at having a team compete at the 2012 olympics in London?

I know i'm in dreamland but it would be special to have an all-ireland team compete at those games, especially as Belfast is getting some of the football games

EalingGreen
10/10/2007, 7:55 PM
arent olympic football teams u-23's? could this idea be targeted at having a team compete at the 2012 olympics in London?

I know i'm in dreamland but it would be special to have an all-ireland team compete at those games, especially as Belfast is getting some of the football games

Afaik, Olympic teams are U-21, (with two overage players allowed?)

There will NOT be an all-ireland team competing. At present, the IOC is trying to persuade the four "home" Associations to enter a UK team; the FA is keen, the IFA looks willing to go along with them, but the SFA and FAW have said they want absolutely nothing to do with it.

Belfast is not "getting some of the football games".

Dream on...;)

viagogo
10/10/2007, 7:59 PM

What anthem would be played?

DmanDmythDledge
10/10/2007, 10:24 PM
Afaik, Olympic teams are U-21, (with two overage players allowed?)
No, it's U-23 with three overage players allowed.

Dodge
10/10/2007, 10:49 PM
The qualifying tournament for the Olympics is the European u21 championship. Ireland is eligible.

In the finals its u23 with 3 overage players

SkStu
11/10/2007, 6:24 AM

irelands call of course :rolleyes: ;)

and the GBR anthem would be Vindaloo ive heard... or else the theme music from Eastenders. Im not sure. But i am drunk.

ofjames
11/10/2007, 12:59 PM
Belfast is not "getting some of the football games".

Dream on...;)

I'm pretty sure i heard that some of the group games would be played in NI if they get their National Stadium built in the Maze

Lionel Ritchie
11/10/2007, 1:03 PM

Straight down the substantive issues ha.

EalingGreen
11/10/2007, 7:52 PM
I'm pretty sure i heard that some of the group games would be played in NI if they get their National Stadium built in the Maze

Yes and you probably heard it from the people who are agitating for the Maze. It's total ******, frankly. When years back, the British Olympic Association was seeking Govt backing for the London bid, they wanted to gain as much support as possible from the rest of the UK. Football is the only sport allowed by the IOC to stage events away from the Host City (other than sailing, rowing etc, if there isn't suitable water available nearby).

Therefore, they told the three other Associations (Scot, Wales & NI) that they could host some games. They even suggested some stadia, including Windsor Park(!) - since withdrawn from the London 2012 Website...

Anyhow, although the English FA is keen, the SFA and FAW told them to bugger off, since they don't want anything to do with a UK team in case it jeopardised their own separate identity. NI was different, however, since the IFA is so desperate for the Govt to build them a stadium - any stadium - that they agreed to participate in a UK team. And the charlatans behind the Maze stadium rowed in with "promises" that NI would stage Olympic games* there.

But the simple fact is that we don't even know whether there will even be a "GB" football team participating (presumably 11 Englishmen), never mind why they should favour the Maze over any one of literally dozens of excellent and modern stadia in England. Stadia which, btw, are already built. Nor is there any guarantee that the Maze will ever be built. And even if it is, we are already nearly in 2008. All venues for all events have to be completed at least 12 months before the Games, so that test events can be staged. So unless the Maze is actually started within the next year and a half, there probably won't be time. And it's already two years or more since it was first proposed, without any tangible agreement to proceed, never mind the cheque signed, or a brick laid.

Oh, and these same people behind the Maze have also promised that they could host a UEFA Cup Final! This is despite the fact that all UEFA Cup Final venues must have a minimum 40k seats, and the latest configuration for the Maze is to have 35k seats and 7k standing. And the fact that there must be a minimum number of hotel rooms (several thousands, in fact) in the city where the stadium is located. The "city" of Lisburn has precisely one hotel. And if the Maze ever does get built, they will be competing with dozens of other stadia in UEFA's 52 Member Associations. To give an example, the next UEFA Final to be allocated is 2011. Already, eight venues have applied for this, including Arsenal's brand new 60k seater Emirates, Lansdowne Road(!), plus stadia in Germany, Portugal, Spain and three Eastern European cities.
To give an idea how sought after, therefore competitive, this is, the Mayor of London has pledged £100k to support the Arsenal bid.

Still, there's every chance someone will persuade UEFA to bring the Final to a field in an industrial estate, on the site of a former prison, three miles from the grand City of Lisburn. Along with Olympic football. :rolleyes:

* - As if we'll all be queuing up in our thousands to watch say, Ghana U-21's play China U-21's...

Shelsman
12/10/2007, 8:09 AM
Yes and you probably heard it from the people who are agitating for the Maze. It's total ******, frankly. When years back, the British Olympic Association was seeking Govt backing for the London bid, .................................................. .................

What has this to do with the Ireland U23 team please?

Dodge
12/10/2007, 9:39 AM
Relax, it came about due the Olympic discussion. Anymore on the Maze can go in the Irish league section though...

gspain
12/10/2007, 10:20 AM
We've been competing in the Olympic qualifiers for many years. Since 1992 they have doubled as the U21 championship. A LoI XI competed in the 1988 qualifiers. We've never come close to qualifying though. Poland beat us 2-0 in 1991 to qualify and they had live tv coverage and huge celebrations when they won.

Dr. Ogba
12/10/2007, 10:21 AM
Bloody hell EalingGreen, you just don't do 1 line answers do you?

gspain
12/10/2007, 10:23 AM
just to followup also we played i nthe 1924 Olympics beating Bulgaria 1-0 and losing 2-1 AET to Holland. Holland also put us out of the 1948 Olympics by beating us at Fratton Park.

The old qualifiers used to be amateur Internationals. We tried to qualify in 1960 lost to Great Britain or holland, 1968 lost to Great Britain, 1972 lost to Yugoslavia (home game in Ballybofey), 76 lost to Czechoslovakia and 1980 lost to Norway. I can't think of any others off the top of my head.

Sheridan
12/10/2007, 3:59 PM
I've got all those Olympic details in an FAI yearbook somewhere, gspain, might have a look for it later.

This sounds like a very exciting departure. If it comes to pass along the lines described, it would be only legitimate Irish national team in my book.

rambler14
13/10/2007, 10:21 PM
Hendo For Ireland!

EalingGreen
14/10/2007, 10:21 PM
Bloody hell EalingGreen, you just don't do 1 line answers do you?

No, I don't.

EalingGreen
14/10/2007, 10:22 PM
This sounds like a very exciting departure. If it comes to pass along the lines described, it would be only legitimate Irish national team in my book.

"The majority of the team will consist of eircom League players, with the squad set to take part in an eight-team tournament later this year, facing group opponents Slovakia, Northern Ireland and Belgium"

Shelsman
16/10/2007, 12:44 PM
In The Sun today it says that the 8 teams in the tournament will be as follows:

Rep. of Ireland
N. Ireland
Slovakia
Belgium
England
Wales
Italy
Finland

With England and Italy in the competition it should be pretty good.

Fenlon has said that the Ireland squad will be drawn exclusively from the Eircom League.

He has said that it is a pity that so many good players have left the league and he wants to 'put it right' though the transfer fees have been much better.

I think it is one of the best ways for the league to go forward in that the players will be snapped up but that eL clubs will now be getting good money regularly -surely a good source of revenue and good exposure for the league?

Backroom team is Alan Matthews and Dave Henderson ( GK Coach ).

gspain
16/10/2007, 12:53 PM
We're drawn with Belgium, Northern Ireland and Slovakia. We've NI away next year and Slovakia at home in November. No idea where/when we play Belgium.

eirebhoy
16/10/2007, 12:56 PM
Play Belgium next Autumn. 3 games in a year basically.

Shelsman
16/10/2007, 1:04 PM
I hope they have the good sense to play the home matches outside of the Dublin area???????????????????????????? So as to get proper support ( and I'm from Dublin -but living in Cork :D )

galwayhoop
16/10/2007, 1:20 PM
No, I don't.

Haven't heard much from you since Nigel Worthfookall got appointed and NI's subsequent slide down the FIFA rankings! Coincidence???

Anyway, I know it's a small bit off topic but surely Players from NI would be given the choice to Play for the GB & NI team or alternatively for an All Ireland team in the Olympics the same as the atheletes??

Or is the Olympic Soccer Competition run different under the control of FIFA or some other body. I honestly don't know the answer but I assumed football players would have the same choice as sprinters/swimmers and pole vaulters!!!

John83
16/10/2007, 1:28 PM
What about the B team? Was it a failure? Why? What's an U23 team going to achieve that the B team couldn't? Or are we going to have both?

Anyone else annoyed that there's yet another measure being taken to bring about progress in the association, completely ignoring the last one? It's almost like something the government would do.

Dodge
16/10/2007, 1:39 PM
Or is the Olympic Soccer Competition run different under the control of FIFA or some other body. I honestly don't know the answer but I assumed football players would have the same choice as sprinters/swimmers and pole vaulters!!!

All sports in the Olympics are run through the individual sports governing bodies so the Athletics events are covered by IAAF, the swimming by FINA and the football by FIFA. Currently NI athletes can choose to represent Ireland or GB under IAAF rules (likewise pretty much all sports in the Olympics). Rowing is the only other sport that has NI athletes (seperate) competing for both Ireland and GB AFAIK.

As for the B team, I think the U23 has superceded it and with the advent of a structured tournament it basically makes the B team redundant. What that means for Pat Devlin is anyone's guess.

galwayhoop
16/10/2007, 2:19 PM
All sports in the Olympics are run through the individual sports governing bodies so the Athletics events are covered by IAAF, the swimming by FINA and the football by FIFA. Currently NI athletes can choose to represent Ireland or GB under IAAF rules (likewise pretty much all sports in the Olympics). Rowing is the only other sport that has NI athletes (seperate) competing for both Ireland and GB AFAIK.

a well informed, straight forward, well thought out and mature response..... an all too infrequent occurance on foot!!!

Thanks

EalingGreen
16/10/2007, 4:32 PM
Haven't heard much from you since Nigel Worthfookall got appointed and NI's subsequent slide down the FIFA rankings! Coincidence???

Anyway, I know it's a small bit off topic but surely Players from NI would be given the choice to Play for the GB & NI team or alternatively for an All Ireland team in the Olympics the same as the atheletes??

It is "coincidence", actually. Although I browse this Board out of interest in football generally and Irish football particularly, I generally only post on threads which are specifically to do with NI football. And if you were to check these, you would see that these have pretty much dried up recently. Anyhow, Worthy is still our manager, I don't see too much prospect of the slide being halted anytime soon - and I'm back!

As for your other point, as Dodge pointed out, Olympic football is currently administered by FIFA, who delegate responsibility for the individual teams to the relevant National Associations. None of the four British Associations, inc. the IFA, will be entering the 2008 Olympics and if there is an FAI team, I can't believe they would select "non-connected" NI-born players - at least until the present Gibson case is sorted out.

As for 2012, whilst the IOC is v.keen to see a "home" team entered, that is currently a matter of huge controversy between the 4 Home Associations, with England keen, Scot & Wales implacably opposed, and the hierarchy of the IFA going along with England so as not to upset HMG (over funding for other issues)

If, as seems possible, the English FA goes ahead and selects a team to represent the UK (maybe with one or two token NI players?), then it may be open to other NI-born players to opt for any FAI team entered, but I imagine they would be subject to the same eligibility criteria as for all other international teams. That is, I presume the fact that the team was being selected to play in the Olympic Games shouldn't differentiate it from any other Tournament.

pineapple stu
16/10/2007, 4:37 PM
What about the B team? Was it a failure? Why? What's an U23 team going to achieve that the B team couldn't? Or are we going to have both?

Anyone else annoyed that there's yet another measure being taken to bring about progress in the association, completely ignoring the last one? It's almost like something the government would do.
It's JD getting jobs for all his buddies. No more to it than that. It's ridiculous to employ a full time manager for a team which is going to play about twice a year, if that. Same way as it's ridiculous to employ Devlin as B team manager. I'd sack both, cut both teams and put the money saved into the pot for a proper senior manager.

Dodge
16/10/2007, 7:51 PM
if there is an FAI team, I can't believe they would select "non-connected" NI-born players - at least until the present Gibson case is sorted out
There is an FAI team that tries to qualify for the Olympics (through the UEFA u21 championship)