PDA

View Full Version : 6 clubs attack FAI policy?

Pages : [1] 2

Dodge
10/10/2007, 11:30 AM
From 11-a-side (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/eircomleague/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=29587) - (Click link for full article, only extracts below)

The Irish Daily Star carries an exclusive report claiming that 2007 title favourites Drogheda United, as well as Dublin pair Bohemians and St Patrick’s Athletic and Cork City, Derry City and Galway United, have joined forces in a bid to improve the eircom League’s lot.
A perceived lack of support for the eircom League within FAI circles, despite the merger between the organisations last year, is seen as a major obstacle to the development of the senior game in Ireland, with some officials privately angry that the Association ploughs much of its resources into the international team.

While its about ****ing time that some clubs decided to work together, its just a shame they use the wage cap as an example of something wrong the league is doing...

Sonic
10/10/2007, 11:41 AM
And trying to campaign that all clubs go fulltime is another joke. Not every team can afford this and you wont get any handy clubs from the first division to commit to full time either. As you say they should be hard hitting at the real issue that being the incompetence of the association that runs the league!

noby
10/10/2007, 11:53 AM
Agreed, it's a good idea for clubs to come together to 'fight the cause', but full time pros on limitless wages is hardly the solution to the leagues problems.

Jofspring
10/10/2007, 12:02 PM
good to see some clubs are trying to make a difference as i feel the FAI have made no noticable improvements to the LOI.

Sheridan
10/10/2007, 12:05 PM
Find it hard to believe that Galway are mixed up in this. They know which side their bread is buttered and would be stupid to jeopardise the FAI's patronage. If anything, Galway's spending splurge just serves to emphasize that there aren't enough players of the requisite standard to justify a full-time league.

Lim till i die
10/10/2007, 12:10 PM
Find it hard to believe that Galway are mixed up in this. They know which side their bread is buttered and would be stupid to jeopardise the FAI's patronage. If anything, Galway's spending splurge just serves to emphasize that there aren't enough players of the requisite standard to justify a full-time league.

Was my immediate reaction

Are they plotting to break away with Linfield and Glentoran into a Super Eight style tournament?? :)

Billy Lord
10/10/2007, 12:25 PM
Funniest thing I've read in ages.

sonofstan
10/10/2007, 12:29 PM
Funniest thing I've read in ages.

Weren't you asked then?

gilberto_eire
10/10/2007, 12:55 PM

the teams listed are just the ones with the money :D

Macy
10/10/2007, 12:57 PM
Campaigning against a wage cap and wanting a full time only league. What nonsense, such a move would set the league back years. Surprised at Derry and Galway in particular, considering their pride in their reputation for financial discipline.

Mind you, you can see why Derry, Bohs and Pats want part time Rovers out of the fight for European places. And sure Galway could do without 2 part time teams above them keeping them in their battle with another 2 part time clubs to avoid the play off. :rolleyes:

Dodge
10/10/2007, 1:09 PM
Surprised at Derry and Galway in particular, considering their pride in their reputation for financial discipline.

:D:D:D

DmanDmythDledge
10/10/2007, 1:10 PM
If the clubs didn't agree with it they should have had some balls and complained when the proposals were made up and not sign them. Seeing as the six clubs have the six highest budgets in the league (maybe Sligo would be in there) it's not surprising that they're complaining.

Tir Oilean
10/10/2007, 1:12 PM
Im kind of surprised myself. However I do agree that we should be aiming to have a fully full time league, I just dont believe it can ever happen. As regards the wages issue im not sure where I stand. I only know that we've got lads that are not playing to the value of their wages.

Macy
10/10/2007, 1:13 PM
:D:D:D
Yeah, I should've said self styled reputation in recent seasons.

MyTown
10/10/2007, 1:15 PM
I think the criticism of my team on this thread is inevitable and to some extent reasonable. A big debate has gone on in Galway within and outside the club as to the merits of a full-time set up. Supporters were not crying out for a full time set up this time last year when we were in the First Division, and I was never aware of a campaign to make that move.

Obviously the people who count in the club believe it is the best way forward, but performances on the park this season seriously weakened that argument.

As to the substantive issue of sounding off about the disproportionate interest in the International team over the domestic League, I believe it's a non-argument. Before the FAI took over the Eircom League, it was politics within the 22 clubs that was the biggest obstacle to progress IMO, and nothing has changed on that front as far as I'm concerned.

Facilities and attendances in some venues are embarassing to say the least, but that doesn't prevent officials from those clubs banging the table when it comes to their rights etc.

Dodge
10/10/2007, 1:26 PM
If the clubs didn't agree with it they should have had some balls and complained when the proposals were made up and not sign them. Seeing as the six clubs have the six highest budgets in the league (maybe Sligo would be in there) it's not surprising that they're complaining.

While I agree with you, and disagree with my club, the people running it now are completely different to the previous crowd.

exiled_gufc_fan
10/10/2007, 1:31 PM
Should the six clubs concerned be awaiting fines from the FAI then?

Or worse, a points deduction?

Dodge
10/10/2007, 1:40 PM
Should the six clubs concerned be awaiting fines from the FAI then?

Or worse, a points deduction?

Well officially they haven't done or said anything...

Dodge
10/10/2007, 2:10 PM
kdjac scanned the article. Takes a slightly different tact than the 11-a-side article

http://homepage.eircom.net/~kdja4/DSC00456.JPG

Tir Oilean
10/10/2007, 2:24 PM
What is the point of aiming for something that can't be achieved as you say yourself ? I honestly don't think we would even have 10 clubs that could go full time at the same time.

Search me:confused: But I can see how the people who sweat blood and tears to get a club up to a high standard (that we see in most clubs today) would want to see every other club at least try to improve. It seems that this rule is there to stop another Shelbourne but at the same time could hold back the clubs that have come on leaps and bounds in the recent past.

PS Sligo is surely a club that could go fully pro with the right people? When I lived there it was better supported than my own club.

don ramo
10/10/2007, 2:28 PM
i can understand going ful time, that should be the marker that should be set for the premier league, but not havin a cap on wages is stupid to say the least you have to have it, we cant have any more shelbournes,
i heard that its only club revenue, (and money invested wont be taken into account for the wages,) dont agree with this at all, all money that goes into the clubs accounts, 65% should be put to wages, this should include all donations sposorship, gate money, bar and so on,

pete
10/10/2007, 2:38 PM
kdjac scanned the article. Takes a slightly different tact than the 11-a-side article

http://homepage.eircom.net/~kdja4/DSC00456.JPG

I agree that the eleven-a-side slant very selective.

I think clubs have been talking behind the scenes recently so this where the article has come from. Still not sure why the clubs raising the salary cap issue as the definition of revenue will allow "donations" to clubs. I think the FAI just trying to prevent clubs have having large debt hanging around their necks & doing another Shels.

We changed out crest years ago. Have The Star not realised this yet? :rolleyes:

Pablo
10/10/2007, 2:48 PM
Breakaway league anyone? SPL Style?

Tir Oilean
10/10/2007, 2:54 PM
We changed out crest years ago. Have The Star not realised this yet? :rolleyes:

So did we!

Billy Lord
10/10/2007, 3:21 PM
Weren't you asked then?

No one asks us, we don't care.

micls
10/10/2007, 3:27 PM
Not surprised we're part of it as Tynan has repeatedly said he doesnt agree with the wage cap, on the basis that one bad year income wise(e.g. this year for us) could keep you down for a few years after cos you cant improve the squad as much as you want even if you have investors.

Not sure if I agree or disagree tbh. See the advantages and disadvantages. While for a few seasons individual clubs may not be able to progress as much as they want(Europe etc), at the same time as a league we need to sort ourselves financially. The antics of a lot of clubs(including us last season) only adds fire to the claims of how rubbish our league is and how we're all incompetant

KoemansCC
10/10/2007, 4:19 PM
What the f**k have Galway United and honest Nick got to be complaining about?

They're complaining about the lack of direction and financial support shown by the FAI towards the LOI and all clubs....

Thay should be kissing JD feet after the way they've been looked after.

....and I give up :mad:

gspain
10/10/2007, 4:35 PM
What the f**k have Galway United and honest Nick got to be complaining about?

Thay should be kissing JD feet after the way they've been looked after.

I hear they're considering changing the playoff rules now for this season. It's 2nd v 4th. :D

KoemansCC
10/10/2007, 4:42 PM
Could work :D

Tis-smeee
10/10/2007, 4:52 PM
Or they could all just pay "expenses" like Wexford Youths and not have to worry about the wage cap

pineapple stu
10/10/2007, 6:34 PM
This is interesting - nine months ago, the clubs were happy to sell out to the FAI, and now the biggest want out?

Is Delaney's position coming under pressure that people can undermine him like this?

Few shocks about the clubs who are against the wage cap - Drogs, Pat's (E1m losses each), Galway (all their losses for this year being underwritten, as I understand), Bohs (have money to burn if the ground deal goes through and, in fairness, they should be allowed spend it if they have it) and Cork (seems Arkaga are pulling the strings already?), although Derry is surprising.

But disappointing (although not really surprising) to see they're missing the issues altogether. The league needs stability - history has shown that lost of clubs are mini Shelbournes, and it's not the one off exception that it's being made out to be. Also, interesting to see hugely aspirational plans for 10000+ capacity grounds being trotted out as the way the league is going well before they even come close to getting off the ground.

sullanefc
10/10/2007, 9:48 PM
This is interesting - nine months ago, the clubs were happy to sell out to the FAI, and now the biggest want out?

Is Delaney's position coming under pressure that people can undermine him like this?

Few shocks about the clubs who are against the wage cap - Drogs, Pat's (E1m losses each), Galway (all their losses for this year being underwritten, as I understand), Bohs (have money to burn if the ground deal goes through and, in fairness, they should be allowed spend it if they have it) and Cork (seems Arkaga are pulling the strings already?), although Derry is surprising.

But disappointing (although not really surprising) to see they're missing the issues altogether. The league needs stability - history has shown that lost of clubs are mini Shelbournes, and it's not the one off exception that it's being made out to be. Also, interesting to see hugely aspirational plans for 10000+ capacity grounds being trotted out as the way the league is going well before they even come close to getting off the ground.
Small club, small ambition ;)

kdjaC
10/10/2007, 9:55 PM

Cork and Pats had different owners when the FAI agreement was struck.

kdjac

Gaillimh Al
10/10/2007, 10:00 PM
Galway (all their losses for this year being underwritten, as I understand)

You understand correctly, but the point was IF they made losses they would be underwritten. I understand the club will be announcing a small profit on the year once relegation is avoided.

Lim till i die
10/10/2007, 10:03 PM
You understand correctly, but the point was IF they made losses they would be underwritten. I understand the club will be announcing a small profit on the year once relegation is avoided.

Just for my curiosity why does relegation matter??

Is the difference between, say 10th and 12th, really the difference between a profit and a loss??

jebus
10/10/2007, 10:10 PM
As has been said, I'm surprised at some of the clubs involved, especially Galway United, who have gained by far and away the most through the FAI's nonsense and really should keep their mouth's shut when it comes to subjects like this for this year at least. Still if it gets the FAI to start treating EL clubs even slightly better then it's probably a good thing.

Dodge
10/10/2007, 10:20 PM

Is the difference between, say 10th and 12th, really the difference between a profit and a loss??

If run correctly it'd actually cost them money to stay up in bonus payments.

MariborKev
10/10/2007, 10:21 PM
More to this than meets the eye I'd say......

As for Derry, we're outspending our income, so no surprise we are in the list.

Lim till i die
11/10/2007, 9:10 AM
Breakaway league anyone? SPL Style?

More to this than meets the eye I'd say......

Not a hope of a breakaway involving those six clubs

Magicme
11/10/2007, 9:40 AM
Not what was being touted about a year ago. Those 6 were the clubs who were tryin to get a super league going with a few clubs from the north.

Tir Oilean
11/10/2007, 10:20 AM
Im sure you would all agree that the FAI are not doing their best for the league. I wasnt altogether impressed with the fact they were taking over the running of the League given their track record. If Shelbourne were run properly with good business practice there is no way they would have ended up in the situation they did. The issues like tax breaks for investors are all very valid points and show that these six are thinking ahead unlike JD.

Dodge
11/10/2007, 10:33 AM
Im sure you would all agree that the FAI are not doing their best for the league
In all honesty I've seen improvements this year. Not nearly as much as I'd have liked

micls
11/10/2007, 10:52 AM
and Cork (seems Arkaga are pulling the strings already?),

Tynan made it clear if they had been in charge they wouldnt have signed up agreeing to a wage cap.

Arkaga certainly are pulling the strings, they have big plans(unrealistic some might say) and dont want the FAI getting in the way of them.

A face
11/10/2007, 11:29 AM
As has been said, I'm surprised at some of the clubs involved, especially Galway United, who have gained by far and away the most through the FAI's nonsense and really should keep their mouth's shut when it comes to subjects like this for this year at least. Still if it gets the FAI to start treating EL clubs even slightly better then it's probably a good thing.

Ahh that wont actually ever happen to be fair.

Ronnie
11/10/2007, 1:26 PM
Do we read from this that the other clubs might see the 65% cap as a sort of leveller.Or is the big issue here that money invested/donated etc is now sponsorship and cannot be got back? If the latter is the real gripe, we have people spening money who intend to get it back and under this system that won't count as turnover.

Mr A
11/10/2007, 1:39 PM
So are the clubs actually aware of how the wage cap will be administered yet?

A face
11/10/2007, 1:52 PM
So are the clubs actually aware of how the wage cap will be administered yet?

It seems not but isn't some of the responsiblity with this lying with the FAI? Have they not depicted how this is all going to work*?

* I'm assuming that they know how its going to work, i mean they do don't they???

passerrby
11/10/2007, 3:34 PM
if at the end of a season when your accounts are inspected by licensing and found to have breached the ceiling (knowingly). your club will be subject to fines ,points penitlies, our barring from outside competitions like eufa or satanta , ultimite sanction is demotion i believe, oh and these gang of six are not going to rewrite the particition agreement it should never have been signed in the first place but now its in there is no way out.

Gaillimh Al
11/10/2007, 5:29 PM

Sorry if I didn't phrase it properly. Was just pointing out that we will (hopefully)avoid relegation, not that it will make a difference. Was only trying to counter Stu's claim about "their losses".

As for Jebus' "keep quiet down there". Are you still in that place?

exiled_gufc_fan
15/10/2007, 1:18 PM
Sorry for the cross-posting from the Galway United forum but this is somewhat relevant to this thread too (from yesterday's Sunday Business Post):

Leeson criticises FAI over plan to curb player salaries
14 October 2007 By Richard Curran
Nick Leeson, the former rogue trader and chief executive of Galway United football club, has criticised plans by the Football Association of Ireland (FAI) to limit the amount of money that clubs can spend on player salaries, saying they do not go far enough.

Rest of the article is here (http://www.sbpost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=IRELAND-qqqm=news-qqqid=27426-qqqx=1.asp)