PDA

View Full Version : The End Is Nigh

kopite
09/10/2007, 6:37 PM
the end of the season approaches,can we stay off the bottom.we got a fair pasting from L37,can we stick together and see it through to the end?
how many of these lads will come backnext season?
can you give predictions for the last 5 games,the 2 at home are going to be massive games for varying reasons,us to stay off the bottom and the 2 teams travelling,finn harps and dundalk for obvious reasons.what about the last home game,any ideas for the end of season bash[the home game that is,shels away is sorted]

wexfordseagull
10/10/2007, 11:28 AM
kildare draw,finn harps lose,kilkenny win,dundalk draw,shelborne drunk.
we WILL stay off the bottom,but just 2 have an eircom league side who have taken point/s off of 8 out of 9 sides is a great achievement anyway.up the youths.:D:D:ball:

passinginterest
10/10/2007, 12:04 PM
Looking at the remaining fixtures we should stay comfortably ahead of Kilkenny (at least if my optimism is any way well placed).

I see us

Kildare (a) Win
Finn Harps (h) Draw
Kilkenny (a) Win (has to be)
Dundalk (h) Loss
Shelbourne (a) Draw

Leaving us with 32 Points

Kilkenny:
Cobh (h) Loss
Limerick (a) Draw
Wex (h) Loss
Kildare (a) Draw
Finn Harps (h) Loss

Leaving them with 24 points

If my optimism is not so well place it will almost certainly be decided on the game in Buckley Park, win it and we should be safe, lose and they'll pip us to the post.

My plans to make the Kildare game have gone out the window, I have a match myself. It'll take some sort of major act of God to make me miss the Shels game, will try to make it down for the Dundalk game too.

I'll text my player of the year vote later, I think it has to be Paul Malone though. His heart and work ethic sum up what the Youths are about for me.

passinginterest
10/10/2007, 12:12 PM
On the question of how many will be back next season it's hard enough to call. About 14 or 15 players seem to have featured regularly, outside of that a lot of the squad players wouldn't really be missed, especially with the lads coming through from the under 21 side.

One of the players I wonder most about is Thomas Hawkins, according to Walk the Chalk he's had only 3 appearances and only one start, we all know he's a talented player, but, not much point if he's never fit to play.

I think the likes of Tom Elmes will be let go. He'll always have a special place in Wexford Youths history for scoring that winner against Cobh, but, he never really made an impact after that. Just have a look through the stats on Walk the Chalk, plenty of lads there, some probably gone already, others who will go at the end of the season.

Sunny Jim
10/10/2007, 1:20 PM
Wexford Youths:
Kildare (a) Draw
Finn Harps (h) Loss
Kilkenny (a) Win
Dundalk (h) Loss
Shelbourne (a) Loss

Kilkenny City:
Cobh (h) Loss
Limerick (a) Loss
Wex (h) Loss
Kildare (a) Draw
Finn Harps (h) Loss

Wexford 28 points, Kilkenny 23. However, if Kilkenny beat us they'll be on 26 and we'll be on 25, so everything hinges on that match as far as I'm concerned.

That said, it won't be the end of the world if we finish last. If it happens next season it could be a catastrophe though, with relegation possible.

Red Youth
10/10/2007, 1:47 PM
Love the optimism Passing Interest but I think Sunny Jim's predictions may be more realistic; we'll see.

Staying off the bottom will be a great achievement, but you're right, with the introduction of the A League and relegation, next season will be so important.

Player of the year for me is also Patsy. Heart and passion, plus goals as well - he scored arguably our best goal of the season against Monaghan a few weeks ago - starting and finishing a superb move. In with a shout are Sinnott, Loughy and Anthony Russell. U21 player of the year has to be Shane Dempsey.

Does anyone know if you can bet on the U18 ALL-Ireland Youths Cup anywhere - 'cos I reckon we have a serious shout for reclaiming the title!?

Youths4Ever
10/10/2007, 9:38 PM
Have to agree think Sunny Jim's predictions are more realistic but more than happen to proven wrong.

Reckon we will stay off the bottom but I think much more important to finish the season playing good football. Maybe trying new things for next year as if we do not attack more next year we will be in this position again when it matters.

All players have improved though this year but next year we need more settled team play best 11 this year was about learning and Mick probably has learned a lot about all the players and should know his best 11 for next year

G-Man
12/10/2007, 3:24 PM
regardles of the other games, its bascially I think whoever gets the win in the bottom of the table clash is the one that matters. If we win, we wont be last, if they do, it'll take good results against better opposition to keep us off the bottom. Its been an ok season, promised a lot at the start, but I think the overall enthusiasm and energy faded after a while. it'll take a while, but as long as we improve next season and learn from our first season it'll be ok.

ForzaForth
12/10/2007, 8:40 PM
Would be pleased with a few draws, starting with Kildare tomorrow, and a win against Kilkenny. Think that Mick has concentrated more on infrastructure this year and will focus on the on-pitch performance next year. Last or second-last next year won't be acceptable for a club like Wexford with such ambition.