PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Ireland pulls out of squad

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Armando
09/10/2007, 2:16 PM
...saying he could not do himself or his country justice!
I am dumbfounded:confused:

carloz
09/10/2007, 2:17 PM
Is this for real???

elroy
09/10/2007, 2:19 PM
Dont think so.

Armando
09/10/2007, 2:21 PM
It's for real alright! SSN are reporting it now

Stuttgart88
09/10/2007, 2:22 PM
Alex Bruce, Ireland's natural replacement, called up instead.

I guess Liam Miller is on standby as centre-back!

paul_oshea
09/10/2007, 2:22 PM
http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/mhmhkfmhidcw/

what does he mean by that?! he is chickening out for fear of abuse. **** goodbye for good.

Dodge
09/10/2007, 2:23 PM
From Man City official site (http://www.mcfc.co.uk/default.sps?pagegid={DBD12D53-8346-431D-A04F-5D0F8664DE80}&newsid=477930)

" have thought long and hard about whether I would do my country and myself justice if I joined up with the squad. Unfortunately, I don't believe I would on this occasion.

"The support I have received from Mr Staunton and the FAI has been excellent and everybody at Manchester City has also been superb. However, I do not believe I can make a positive contribution to our efforts to qualify."

Stuttgart88
09/10/2007, 2:25 PM
Meanwhile, City manager Sven Goran Eriksson admitted the entire affair was unsatisfying for all sides.

“This is disappointing for everybody," he said. "Steve Staunton and I have been working together to help Stephen through a period which he is clearly finding very difficult.

"We together have left no stone unturned in our efforts to convince him he has so much to offer his country and that international football will greatly benefit his long term career. I hope that Stephen will soon feel stable enough to resume his international career.”

gustavo
09/10/2007, 2:26 PM
Strange one , presumably he still thinks he can make a positive contribution to Manchester City.

Danny
09/10/2007, 2:27 PM
Done well for City in the last couple of games, nearly scored on sunday v boro too.... think he's afraid he mite get some abuse as a scapegoat for our campaign going out the window (mathematically) this w/e

feo123
because ireland are so much better than man city at the moment??!

tricky_colour
Seems to me like he doesn't want to play for Ireland. He didn't want to play under Kerr too did he? Better off without him anyway.

drummerboy
Distinct lack of character. Not prepared to face up to his responsibilities.

tricky_colour
09/10/2007, 2:28 PM
Strange one , presumably he still thinks he can make a positive contribution to Manchester City.
Yes otherwise he won't get fooking paid :D

Sligo Hornet
09/10/2007, 2:32 PM
VERY DISAPPOINTING ATTITUDE:(......this was his chance to "pay back" the loyalty and good feeling shown towards him during his recent personal crisis......who is advising him?:eek:

Hibs4Ever
09/10/2007, 2:32 PM
Should never be called to play for his country again

carloz
09/10/2007, 2:33 PM
I hope Stan comes out and says that he will be no longer picked for ireland while he is boss. Its about time he grew some balls. Carsley got vilified a few years back for semi retiring to try and force his way back into Evertons team.....there is nothing wrong with Ireland, he has played the last 3 games for City and played 90 minutes of their game at the weekend. the guy is messed up in the head and now i understand Kerr's feelings about him

Claret Murph
09/10/2007, 2:33 PM
Shame really , I would have been right behind him and I am sure thousands would have been the same .

bwagner
09/10/2007, 2:36 PM
he has some nerve - he owes Irish fans - If that grade A retard Stan does not now called up Miller out of PURE stubbornness i will go mental

drinkfeckarse
09/10/2007, 2:37 PM
It sounds as if he's worried about the reaction of the fans alright. Very disappointing decision, I'd like to know who is advising him because he'll do well to have any sort of international career after this.

Sligo Hornet
09/10/2007, 2:38 PM
Shame really , I would have been right behind him and I am sure thousands would have been the same .

That's exactly the point Claret.......he's now put himself in a position to be slaughtered by any Irish fan ( who feels that way inclined ) every time he sets foot on the pitch.!...........stupid boy!:confused:........not you, but him!;)

elroy
09/10/2007, 2:39 PM
What the hell is wrong with this guy? Surely there has to be more to this than meets the eye?
He's an embarrassment to the team and the country

drinkfeckarse
09/10/2007, 2:40 PM
"We together have left no stone unturned in our efforts to convince him he has so much to offer his country and that international football will greatly benefit his long term career.

That's the bit I'd be worried about. It sounds as if he doesn't want to play unfortunately if they are trying to convince him that he has a lot to offer.

Sligo Hornet
09/10/2007, 2:44 PM
Just a thought....you don't think Stephen Ireland is "SCRAM" who posted a thread on Fan's Forum "BOYCOTT remaining games"....?;)

drinkfeckarse
09/10/2007, 2:46 PM
Alex Bruce, Ireland's natural replacement, called up instead.

I guess Liam Miller is on standby as centre-back!

I can't tell if you're joking or not Stutts because that is something that Stan would do and has done plenty of times. It's a bit sad really when you think about it!

mackannovic
09/10/2007, 2:47 PM
To me it seems like it might be a falling out with Stan. Can't see any other reason why he wouldn't play.

Dodge
09/10/2007, 2:49 PM
Can't see any other reason why he wouldn't play.
He has no real interest in international football. Obvious from his underage strops...

citizenerased
09/10/2007, 2:49 PM
this is a disgrace..he is a joker, he is obviously well enough to be playing very well for city..something has to be up, stan must have said something, no one would have abused him

bwagner
09/10/2007, 2:50 PM
I can't tell if you're joking or not Stutts because that is something that Stan would do and has done plenty of times. It's a bit sad really when you think about it!

More like injured keeper Wayne Henderson would be his choice

Ceirtlis
09/10/2007, 2:55 PM
If he is that fragile i cant see how he can play for us in the future when he probably will recieve a negative reaction. Ah well we are better off without him if he is going to act like this.

bogwarrior
09/10/2007, 2:56 PM
Lads this guy really is taking the michael! Thats just plain ridiculous. He's playing great stuff for city at the moment but unfortunately he's one of the stupidest footballers around, the lad's really lucky he's got bag loads of talent otherwise he'd be drawing the dole! Needs to sort his head out - i'll welcome him back eventually but this will only tarnish his reputation, he'll have to build alot of bridges.

citizenerased
09/10/2007, 2:57 PM
yeah maybe but he is our top scorer in this campaign..we could really do with Hunt in this game as well...

Dodge
09/10/2007, 3:00 PM
yeah maybe but he is our top scorer in this campaign..we could really do with Hunt in this game as well...

You're not still thinking about this campaign, are you?!

WembleyGreen
09/10/2007, 3:03 PM
Strange one this? Maybe he simply doesn't want to spend time away from his girlfriend! After all if your get f****d this weekend it might as well be by your missus rather than a bunch of big hairy German blokes!

Maroon 7
Don't think the fans would have given him a hard time at all but you can be sure they won't be too happy now. He looked like he played really well for City at the weekend too. He's slowly burning his bridges here. A real pity as we need every good player we have. Unfortunately the lad seems to be a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

Irish_Praha
It sounds to me like Ireland is a more than a little bit mentally unstable, anyone reckon he hears little voices in his head? Sound to me like he has a severe case of paranoia. Difficult to see how he can re-ignite his International career after this. Only if he comes out in the future and shows that he has sought professional help to overcome his personality disorder and is chomping at the bit to make up for lost time and do well for his country.

Stuttgart88
09/10/2007, 3:16 PM
He seems like a total and utter eejit alright. What the hell is he worried about?

mackannovic
09/10/2007, 3:17 PM
........and now he's called up Alex Bruce??????????

To be completely honest nothing suprises me anymore with this joke of a campaign. It's like a child picking out the first players he sees in his sticker album that have an Irish flag beside them.

Joey O'Brien
Alex Bruce
Jonathon Douglas
Alan O'Brien

These lads shouldn't be in the squad at all.

Tir Oilean
09/10/2007, 3:21 PM
It sounds to me like Ireland is a more than a little bit mentally unstable, anyone reckon he hears little voices in his head? Sound to me like he has a severe case of paranoia. Difficult to see how he can re-ignite his International career after this. Only if he comes out in the future and shows that he has sought professional help to overcome his personality disorder and is chomping at the bit to make up for lost time and do well for his country.

Yes I believe he is unstable. He has been helped by the club in relation to this before so one part of me says leave him alone. However a bigger part of me says how can he play for Man City during this turbulant time for him. IMHO that should be the end of his international career in that he is letting down his team mates again. He is unreliable and he is always going to be.

Row Z
09/10/2007, 3:24 PM
Back on topic...
I remember at the time when Ireland was breaking thru at city and everyone vilified Kerr for falling out with him at underage, and used it as another reason why they thought Kerr wasnt up to international mgt....
The lad doesnt seem right in the head at all and id say its only bcoz of Eriksson's softly softly approach that he's still at Man City at all. a kick up the backside is what the lad needs.

Sligo Hornet
09/10/2007, 3:30 PM
At the very least, he should be forced to change his name, by deed poll, to STEPHEN EX-IRELAND;)

btid1
09/10/2007, 3:31 PM
Stephen Ireland you are an absolute tosser and a disgrace to your country!!This guy should never EVER receive another international call up.The FAI and Staunton charter a plane home for this guy after he makes up a story about his "dead" grandmother then he lies to them for a second time and eventually tells the truth and is forgiven by the Ireland management.How does he repay the loyalty shown by Stan and co he goes and does this!!!

Little prat..........I wouldnt like to be him on his next visit home to Cobh!!!!

Pablo
Edit: Was OTT in my anger

Good Riddence to the Liar.

drummerboy
One has to remember also that Richard Dunne is club captain at City and I'm sure would have tried to influence Ireland. However it hasn't worked.

Stuttgart88
09/10/2007, 3:33 PM
He probably went onto foot.ie to gauge opinion and saw that utterly ludicrous thread "Good news from manchester" a few weeks back. That's probably what scared him off.

btid1
09/10/2007, 3:33 PM
One has to remember also that Richard Dunne is club captain at City and I'm sure would have tried to influence Ireland. However it hasn't worked.

How could he ever return home after stabbing his country in the back like this??!!!

Clearly has no shame!

btid1
09/10/2007, 3:34 PM
He probably went onto foot.ie to gauge opinion and saw that utterly ludicrous thread "Good news from manchester" a few weeks back. That's probably what scared him off.

Dont think he would have the brains to operate a computer!

Pablo
09/10/2007, 3:34 PM
He has no real interest in international football. Obvious from his underage strops...

Kerr had him sussed out all those years ago. Daddy Dick is right

MyTown
09/10/2007, 3:39 PM
Fair enough. Let him go.

He won't be the first international who played brilliantly for his club and opted out for his country in the space of a few days.

If he sends a cheque to Merrion Square for the 'plane they chartered to get him home from Bratislava, I'll be happy enough.

Good luck to him. He obviously has some kind of issues / problems to be dealing with, so let him get on with that, and let us get on with giving Germany a game.

reder
09/10/2007, 3:45 PM
If the lad is having problems then he should be left alone in Manc to deal with them. He lost his baby (probably his first) not so long ago and that would take its toll on the best of us and would certainly knock me for 6 for quite a while. In truth, playing in 2 meaningless international games would be pretty insignificant if you were in that situation.

Brian Kerr wasnt up for the job and the proof was in the fact that we finished fourth in the group under his stewardship. I doubt that he was right about S. Ireland. I wouldnt trust Kerr to organise a **** up in a brewery.

On a side note: I dont that he feared a backlash from the fans here. This lad travels all over England playing for Citeh and he would receive infinitely more hostile receptions from fans away from home than he would from the classics that follow us.