PDA

View Full Version : Robson: is he still alive and assisting Stan?

OwlsFan
09/10/2007, 9:07 AM
Didn't see him at the SLovak/Czech games. Is he still around. If we are to persist with Stan, we need an effective No. 2.

By the way, spot the difference:

http://i24.tinypic.com/2e22sdx.jpg

drummerboy
09/10/2007, 9:14 AM
I saw a picture of Sir Bobby a couple of weeks ago. He was watching the Newcastle Marathon from the back of a car. He looked like a man who was still suffering the effects of his latest illness. Hopefully he makes a full recovery, but I think you could safely say his career in football is over.

reder
09/10/2007, 9:48 AM
Title of the thread is completely OTT. No need for the "Is he still alive" bit. However, I would expect nothing less from a Wednesday fan.

OwlsFan
09/10/2007, 12:16 PM
Title of the thread is completely OTT. No need for the "Is he still alive" bit. However, I would expect nothing less from a Wednesday fan.

It was a genuine question which I agree could have been rephrased more delicately but appointing an ill and aged man to assist a complete novice to manage the international team seemed a strange decision at the time and I have heard nothing further as to whether he is still involved or who is now Stan's number 2 if he isn't.

Armando
09/10/2007, 12:33 PM
It was a genuine question which I agree could have been rephrased more delicately but appointing an ill and aged man to assist a complete novice to manage the international team seemed a strange decision at the time and I have heard nothing further as to whether he is still involved or who is now Stan's number 2 if he isn't.

What, you genuinely didn't know if he was alive or not? I know you're just wondering if he is gone for good or not, but there is no need for that stupid flippant comment.

Ireland4ever
09/10/2007, 12:48 PM
What, you genuinely didn't know if he was alive or not? I know you're just wondering if he is gone for good or not, but there is no need for that stupid flippant comment.

Dont be so pedantic, you knew he meant no harm.

geysir
09/10/2007, 1:16 PM
He isn't actively alive for Irish football and not any hope that he will recover enough to be so.
While we were out in Czech Republic and Slovakia, there was a report on English tv that Bobby would be attending the England home game.
It's obvious that he has to be discarded from the payroll. No hard feelings there, just say thanks very much.

Wolfie
09/10/2007, 1:16 PM
If we are to persist with Stan, we need an effective No. 2.

It's a point that's worth discussion.

Stan has effectively muddled through on his own due to Bobby's unfortunate circumstances.

Would Stan willingly accept a working relationship with a replacement for Bobby at this stage, having gone this far in the first campaign on his own?

back of the net
09/10/2007, 2:28 PM

ppl are completely overreacting here - owlsfan said it in jest with no disrespect towards the great man.

owlsfan i and most ppl know what you meant and know that you meant no disrespect

as for bobby - he will have retired from ireland by december - there is no way he can carry on due to ill health

such a shame - a football legend

how we could do with a fit and healthy bobby robson in charge of our boys now

im sure every ireland supporter wishes the great man well and a speedy recovery

OwlsFan
09/10/2007, 2:41 PM

Note the use of the conjunction "and" in the phrase. Did you never say to someone whom you hadn't seen for a while "I thought you were dead"?. It's an expression when you haven't seen someone for a while.

Must be sore when you fall off that high horse with all that self-righteous indignation.

As I gathered from the sensible replies, most people are as much in the dark as I am about our No. 2 position which seems to have been overlooked by most commentators. Delaney's whole idea seems to have been to have an experienced manager holding Stan's hand while he learned the job but no one seems to be in that position now. Mind you, not that Robson did much to assist the cause in the early games.

Armando
09/10/2007, 4:49 PM
Note the use of the conjunction "and" in the phrase. Did you never say to someone whom you hadn't seen for a while "I thought you were dead"?. It's an expression when you haven't seen someone for a while.

Must be sore when you fall off that high horse with all that self-righteous indignation.

As I gathered from the sensible replies, most people are as much in the dark as I am about our No. 2 position which seems to have been overlooked by most commentators. Delaney's whole idea seems to have been to have an experienced manager holding Stan's hand while he learned the job but no one seems to be in that position now. Mind you, not that Robson did much to assist the cause in the early games.

I knew you'd say something like that.

And it's not the same as saying to someone you haven't seen in a while: 'I thought you were dead'.
I thought it was wrong to say is he dead, knowing how ill he has been. Unless you genuinely didn't know if he was alive or not?

I know what the point of your post was(as I said in my original post), but I just didn't like the 'Is he alive' bit, that's all. There is no need for it.

back of the net
09/10/2007, 5:45 PM
I knew you'd say something like that.

And it's not the same as saying to someone you haven't seen in a while: 'I thought you were dead'.
I thought it was wrong to say is he dead, knowing how ill he has been. Unless you genuinely didn't know if he was alive or not?

I know what the point of your post was(as I said in my original post), but I just didn't like the 'Is he alive' bit, that's all. There is no need for it.

get over it - u took it up the wrong way

Noelys Guitar
09/10/2007, 7:29 PM
Stan: Is he still alive and assisting anyone (other than the other teams in our group) I hope thats tidied it up.

The Legend
09/10/2007, 8:43 PM
Didn't see him at the SLovak/Czech games. Is he still around. If we are to persist with Stan, we need an effective No. 2.

By the way, spot the difference:

http://i24.tinypic.com/2e22sdx.jpg

That's brilliant! :D

OwlsFan
15/10/2007, 2:12 PM
Looks like he's reviewing his position.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2007/1015/robsonb.html

We really need a good No. 2 in there if Stan is staying on, which if we lost at home on Wednesday I wouldn't be too sure about.

Thoughts on a good assistant who wouldn't be a yes man and who could curb some of the strange selections?